IMDb > Last Light (1993) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Last Light (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Superb low-key prison movie

Author: Andy (A.M.Stevenson_01@wkac.ac.uk) from Winchester, England
6 December 2002

Kiefer Sutherland, star of TV's '24', directs and stars in this superb low-key prison movie.

Forrest Whitaker is the guard who slowly be-friends a prisoner on death row, and who's friendship and understanding of the in-mate causes his private life to slowly suffer.

The performances are all superb, especially from Sutherland, and there is also good support from Clancy Brown, who played the evil prison guard in the legendary 'Shawshank Redemption'. The climatic ending is also well constructed, powerful and tense. This is a lot better than most TV movies out there and deserves a big audience.

8.5 out of 10.

This was a TV movie?? Wow...

Author: UK_Melia from Nebraska
20 October 2003

I've never written a review on here before but after seeing 'Last Light' I felt compelled to do it.

If you want to see a well-crafted film about life on the Row - maybe you enjoyed 'Shawshank Redemption' or 'Dead Man Walking' - then give this one a try as well. Kiefer Sutherland and Forest Whitaker turn in fantastic performances. I love character study films and this one did not let me down. Kiefer was only 27-ish when he starred AND directed this hidden gem of a movie. I am amazed by that. And I've always loved Forest in anything he does and he doesn't disappoint me here. 'Last Light' is gripping, intense and the final sequence is shot beautifully - I cared a great deal about the characters by the end of the film.

I actually dug around on the Internet to find this one and I bought it and added it to my collection. Great work altogether from everyone involved. I give it top ratings.

Death row inmate is befriended by guard.

Author: Robert Mantz, Jr. from usa
11 August 1998

Keifer Sutherland is a product of the system - foster homes and juvenile halls. He is on death row when a new guard is assigned to him - played by Forrest Whitaker. Forrest has personal problems stemming from a violent upbringing and feels for Keifer. An excellent depiction of a friendship that was hard to build, another solid production for Sutherland (Truth or Consequences).

One of the best movies ever!

Author: dragulj from St.Gallen, Switzerland
7 November 2004

Last Light was the first Kiefer Sutherland direction I saw and thought "Oh my God! Give me more!". The subject of the movie is controversy without doubt, but the movie shows the situation in the USA kind of provocative on one hand and also sensitive on the other. It made me think about it, and that's the important thing. The acting was great in generous, especially the one of Kiefer Sutherland. It's one of his best performances ever. The Soundtrack is perfect! How else could it be. Jude Cole never let us down (remember Truth or Consequences or Woman Wanted).

If you have the chance to see this movie, just do it! I almost couldn't hold my tears at the end...

Character driven but underdeveloped.....

Author: merklekranz from United States
14 January 2008

Not bad as prison movies go. Definitely not stereotyped, because "Last Light" is a lot deeper than most of this type. There are problems however. First, too much dialog is garbled by background noise, making it difficult to understand. Second, several characters appear for one brief scene and are never heard from again. This makes one wonder if they were necessary to the script in the first place. If you come in with realistic expectations you will not be disappointed, as the acting by Forest Whitaker and Kiefer Sutherland is very good. I would rank "Last Light" well behind another Kiefer Sutherland directed film "The Killing Time". Marginally recommended. - MERK

Troubled prison guard Forest Whitaker befriends death row inmate Kiefer Sutherland

Author: msroz from United States
16 November 2013

"Last Light" tells the story of a prison guard, Forest Whitaker, who gradually befriends an inmate, Kiefer Sutherland, who is a murderer and has been subjected to abuse of various kinds for a long time. Sutherland also directed this TV-film.

The drama is sincere and not uninvolving. However, in my opinion, it just does not click. On this, I see things very differently from those reviewers who are praising it so highly. I felt that the IMDb rating of 6.3 is reasonable, which suggests an average movie. My own rating suggests it is somewhat below par.

The problem with the movie is the script. It's simply not imaginative enough to avoid seeming contrived. Most of the characterizations are through dialog, rather than dramatic incidents. This gets to be plodding. The actors at times do not seem involved themselves or able to negotiate their lines convincingly. I do believe that the direction also accounts for some of the flabbiness of the story's presentation.

Most of the drama has to do with the character of the two main players, and most of that is in their back stories, and most of that is talked about, not shown. Whitaker's life is explored with reference to his family, but certain clichés creep in to that. It was hard to stay engaged with the characters.

I am sympathetic to the movie's message, which was laid on fairly heavy, but that's not enough to make a really crackling film.

A defining film of High Quality

Author: (gashmanflirty@hotmail.co.uk) from United Kingdom
25 April 2011

I would like to start off by saying this is a must watch. I have used IMDb on many occasions to determine whether i should watch a film, but take this from me- you should watch this. Even though Kiefer Sutherland ( of which i am a great admirer ) is billed as the star actor, Forest Whitaker really takes over this one. Its a film with emotion but enjoyable to watch. And its a film I respect for its quality as TV film. I was surprised to see Kiefer directing but he did more than a great jobb. But once again Whitaker's acting skills here were immense. Finally it is focused on a small amount of characters, making the focus of the film a lot better.