IMDb > Knights (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Knights More at IMDbPro »

Mixed Fighting, Mixed Fighting, and more Mixed Fighting

Author: TD from United States
9 October 1999

Champion martial artist Kathy Long can fight like nobodies business. If you don't like mixed fighting, you will not like this film. There is virtually no plot, but simply a vehicle for Cathy Long to beat up and kill more men than anyone has ever killed in a movie. She is a fighting machine. There is no signature scene and the fighting is somewhat repetative. It doesn't match her masterpiece "The Stranger" for the quality of her fights, but the sheer quantity is unsurpassed.

Can we get a sequel?!?

Author: Joey Skutt from Midland, Michigan
30 April 2002

This was a great action movie. i've always been a Kathy Long fan anyways, but she kicked some major butt in this movie. The one thing I didn't like was the epic, must have a sequel, ending. A sequel that we will never see unfortunately.

Mechanical film

Author: siderite from Romania
24 July 2006

For its genre, I guess this film was OK. Post apocalyptic Earth, lots of deserts, dirty people in rags, fighting, even blood sucking cyborgs. The only beef with it is that it seemed to be made in the 80's. I even imagined myself commenting on IMDb about how Kris Kistofferson and Lance Henriksen made movies before Alien and Terminator. It turned out that this movie was made afterwards.

I must define the notion of OK. I knew it was trash, therefore I expected things like bad picture editing to make the fights look cooler, obvious stunt men instead of the real actors and ridiculous fighting. I also expected to see cardboard characters in a movie without plot. The only surprise was that the fighting was half decent, as the female star (also a good looking one) is an actual kick boxer.

If you see this movie on TV, it might be worth a watch. It's not too bad, so you can't rent it to make fun of it too much. So it's a bad idea to rent or purchase it, basically :)

Excellent B-Movie

Author: Terror X
28 August 2000

For Kathy's second movie but first starring role, this one shows her wonderful fighting style. She is the first woman martial artist that I have seen that fights like a man (a compliment, not sexist). I believe that if given the right roles and training her acting career could take off.

It is obviously a low budget movie so what can one expect but poor acting, direction, and production. Given that that is taken into account it has a good story, great fight scenes, and a great mentor, Kris Kristofferson. Although I doubt he did his own fighting.

Pray for me...

Author: floydster3 from United States
11 October 2008

Maybe I enjoyed this film because I love movies where women kick butt, and in this film Kathy Long does so....over and over and over again. Maybe I enjoyed it because Lance Henriksen is one of my favorite actors and he is the villain here. Maybe I enjoyed it because I love cyborgs dominate humanity and humanity fights back movies. Whatever the reason, I did indeed enjoy it.

Now, don't get me wrong, this not Shawshank Redemption, but it is not meant to be. It IS a fast paced action/Sci-Fi flick with major female butt kicking dished out by the then womens world heavyweight full contact Kickboxing champion Kathy Long.

Unlike the previous reviewer, I say check this movie out and prepare for a laugh or two. And if you have any time left over - as the previous reviewer says - pray for me.

I love movie Albert Pyun.

Author: Ewelina from Poland (ewelina_thomas@inetia.pl) from Poland
13 July 2001

I think that "Knights" is a great film. Well...it has many shortcomings but I like films of Albert Pyun. That movie is just like a vision of future and I like it. I've been saw "Knights" hundred times. There is many cyborgs. One of them is Matthew I very like him. You know, the best thing of that movie is that Jon Epstein was on that movie. He's so ... funny.

Kick-ass star...

Author: poe426 from USA
7 May 2013

Although she's working alongside some fairly big name stars, here, it's Kathy Long who steals the show in KNIGHTS. Albert Pyun's direction is, as usual, one part low-budget exploitation and one part Art House (it's an interesting combination, and a blend Pyun has fairly patented) and he has the good sense to showcase what made Kathy Long famous- her outstanding full contact martial arts experience. The highlight of the movie, without a shadow of a doubt, is the sequence where she singlehandedly wades through a veritable army of evildoers. Had I been unfamiliar with her professional fighting career, I might've mistook this extended sequence for some lesser filmmaker's perverse wish-fulfillment. It's not: having seen her fight, I can attest to the fact that Kathy Long COULD wade through a veritable army of evildoers. (And, like ravishing Rhonda Rousey, she's a looker...) (Either one of them could kick MY a** any time...)

It's a gem - if your a fan of Albert Pyun

Author: t_atzmueller from Germany
18 October 2010

There are two types of people on this planet: those who hate Albert Pyuns films, comparing the works to Ed Wood, and there are those who love master Pyuns style. If you are from the first category you need not bother reading any further – besides you're on the wrong page anyway.

If, however, you're a Pyun fan, it's likely that you are male, used to play with Masters of the Universe toys, used to believe that the Highlander was real, are an avid comic-book reader and enjoy your Heavy Metal loud and manly (Manowar, am I right or am I right?). Just like Albert Pyun.

To take the greatest pleasure in a Pyun film you have to drop all expectations of watching a 'real' movie. Get ready for a comic-book that has been transferred from paper to celluloid. Forget that there is a certain art called acting and revel in the pose, the pathos and the ham. Remember that no CGI could ever get close to plastic and handmade special-effects. Accept that a decapitation by lethal kung fu kick is more worth than deep and meaningful dialogue. Tell yourself that the 80ies were good and there is no beating epic-cheesy synthesizer-soundtracks. In other words: allow yourself to become a kid again for 90 minutes and worry not that your mom will give you s**t for watching violent movies or drinking beer.

The story of Knights is simple even by Pyun standards: once again the world is a wasteland where only rocks, hoodlums in rags and the occasional hero grow. Cyborgs – Robots with biblical names who suffer from vampirism – under the despotic rule of megalomaniac Job (Henrikensen) are now on top of the food-chain, herding the humans like cattle. Job, receives his commands from the mysterious 'Master Builder', who plans to attack Taos, the last enclave where humans can live in relative safety. Against them stands only the renegade cyborg Gabriel (Kristofferson) and young warrior(ess) Nea (Long), who is searching for her kidnapped brother.

Henriksen, equipped with a ridiculously huge mechanic arm that could have worked only under Pyuns direction, is hamming it up for all he's worth, showcasing his entire reservoir of barely controlled rage, growling, eye-rolling and drooling. Kathy Long is cute as a button and if during the late 90ties you've grown a little tired of Cynthia Rothrocks kung fu routine, Longs take-no-prisoners kickboxing was a real fresh breath of air. Kristofferson was little else to do but to smile benevolently while looking cool and wise at the same time – the rest of his work is cut out for him by his (obvious) stuntman. Scott Paulin gets to do what he can do best: sneer, look creepy and threatening and Gary Daniels is Gary Daniels. Only Vincent Klyn – the steel-eyed chief-baddie from "Cyborg" – is a little underused, having no more than a cameo.

It's always heartbreaking to watch comic geeks march into a superhero movie, only to see them leave the cinema two hours later, curses on their lips, bitterness in their eyes and a piece of their soul dead (exception to the rule, "The Dark Knight" and "Watchmen"). This never happens with Pyuns films. Not only because they don't show them in cinemas but rather because these little trash-gems are produced by people who believe in their work – made by fans for fans. (Deep down in my heart, I still believe that, had Pyun directed "Spider Man", it wouldn't have turned out to be a heart- and soulless piece of CGI-junk).

There is trash and there is "trash". Other directors like Michael Bay or the notorious Uwe Boll may be given huge budgets and an excellent cast; their 'talent' will invariably turn any effort into manure. Pyun on the other hand can turn manure into small but heart-felt trash-classic.

If I wasn't a Pyun fan, I'd give this movie nothing. As a fan, I give it 7 out of 10 stars (points being deducted for promising a sequel that never came and for simply not being as good as Pyuns 1989 movie "Cyborg", one of the three Van Damme films that didn't stink. On second thought, 1 point added for having a dismembered Kristofferson fight from within a rucksack).

Alternatively you could watch Ingmar Bergman's "The Seventh Seal" or Luchino Visconti's "Death in Venice", but that's another story.

Different but awesome

Author: dannym-3 from Austin, Texas
18 October 2007

It's not just cheese. It's the best of cheese. The mixed fighting really is virtually unmatched even from a big budget film. Well, OK Jackie Chan can top it. It's fun but not actually that fake for the most part, she's really doing a tough girl act to intimidate the entire crowd so they don't all take her on at once. Also most clashes are done with in a couple of exchanges as opposed to typical never-ending sword-on-sword fight scenes.

The pre-fighting dialog is bold, clever, witty, over-the-top banter. Of course I loved it, it's outstanding! I'll take this over the rather stock dialog in most action movies any day.

"Oh what- am I on FIRE now? GREAT!!!"

First off just fast forward past the first 5 or 10 min where all the Cyborgs are meditating around a cyberhookah thing and Nea's talking to a crazy woman. The only thing you need to know is her little brother has a crescent birthmark on his wrist. Start where Nea's village gets raided, only a couple of min before Gabriel shows up.

Sadly the movie kinda ran out of budget before ending. They allude to some sort of sequel, certainly no budget to make Cyber City this time around, then they didn't even know what moment to end it with and narrated in Nea giving some rambling epilogue. Bummer. You just want the fun-filled center of this film twinkie.

Plot Synopsis

Author: bpeck13 from Washington State, United States
12 February 2009

In the ravaged wasteland of the future, mankind is terrorized by Cyborgs—robots with human features—that have discovered a new source of fuel: human blood. Commanded by their vicious leader Jōb (Lance Henriksen), the Cyborgs prepare to overtake Taos, a densely populated human outpost.

Only one force can stop Jōb's death march—the Cyborg Gabriel (Kris Kristofferson), who is programmed to destroy Jōb and his army.

In the ruins of a ransacked village, Gabriel finds Nea (Kathy Long), a beautiful young woman whose parents were killed by Cyborgs ten years earlier. Now she wants revenge. They strike a pact: Gabriel will train Nea how to fight the Cyborgs and Nea will lead Gabriel to Taos.

Five-time kick-boxing champion Kathy Long has all the right moves in this high-speed adventure that delivers plenty of action. Also stars Gary Daniels (as David) and Scott Paulin (as Simon).