IMDb > Just One of the Girls (1993) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Anything for Love

Just One of the Girls (V) More at IMDbPro »Anything for Love (original title)

One of the better identity-switching movies from the 90s..

Author: KnatLouie from Copenhagen, Denmark
26 October 2008

- Not that that's really saying much, but this movie was actually quite decent. Amazingly watchable, all things considered.

Okay, here's what you get from this movie: A young Corey Haim (of "The Lost Boys"-fame), going undercover as a girl, to avoid getting beaten up by the school bully, Kurt (Cameron Bancroft of TV-fame only).

Originally, his plan is to just disguise as a girl to get past the bullies at the entrance, but once he's inside the school, a bunch of teachers comes over to him and asks him why he's not in class - and since it's his first day at school, he's forced to introduce himself as being a girl - thus ensuring that he's gonna have to wear a dress all year long. But things don't go as smoothly as planned, because suddenly he falls in love with this girl, Marie (played by the gorgeous Nicole Eggert), but he can only become her best friend, since he cannot reveal to her that he's a guy! Furthermore, his parents are unaware of his problems, so he constantly has to hide things from them, so they wont find out about it, which makes for a few funny scenes.

Anyway, apart from a tiny cameo by Alanis Morrissette, there's not much to look for in the supporting cast - unless you're a fan of Lochlyn Munro (from "Scary Movie") perhaps, who plays Marie's annoying ex-boyfriend who wants to push her into having sex with him before she feels ready. The director, Michael Keusch is mostly known for his straight-to-video Steven Seagal actioners (Attack Force, Flight of Fury, Shadowman), and some unknown German stuff, so this movie really stands out on his resumé as being something completely different.

Overall, this movie (called "Just One Of The Girls", rather than that other lame title) had a somewhat clichéd premise, but pulled it off quite nicely with a decent and likable performance by Haim and Eggert, coupled with a hilarious performance by Bancroft, as the love-stricken bad guy, who tries to get in touch with his softer side, in order to impress the woman of his dreams - who coincidentally looks like a guy.

By the way, if you liked this movie, then you're probably gonna love this one, called "Blown Away": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103843/ - starring both Corey Haim, Nicole Eggert, AND Corey Feldman!

I've had this movie on video for ten years!

Author: Carycomic from Torrington, CT, USA
8 July 2003

And, I still love watching it, each and every time I pop it in the machine. *Insert spoilers here.* Not only for the cameo appearance by Alanis Morrisette, back when her hair-do was bigger than her first name. But, also for the Machiavellian lengths to which Corey Haim had to go, in order for his girlfriend and his parents to NOT be in the same place, at the same time, as him. Priceless!

Plus, there's no denying that Ms. Eggert's fellow varsity cheerleaders weren't bad to look at. Speaking of which; there was one blooper connected to the cheerleading sequence towards the end. The JV squad appeared to have the letters "S-H-S" on their uniforms. The initials of the real-life Vancouver school where this was filmed, perhaps?

Well, in any case, I think this delightfully and shamelessly sappy movie is a perfect 10. As in, undeniably ten times better than "Legally Blonde 2" and "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle" put together!

Horrid

Author: d_m_s from United Kingdom
24 May 2014

I really like Corey Haim and will give any film he is in a go.

This film was horrendously bad. Everything about it was awful. The script and direction was like a student production. Apart from Haim the acting was atrocious too.

On top of that there was this really horrible, cheap-sounding score that was constantly in the background.

The film just seemed to be a sequence of random scenes without any progress towards any kind of storyline (for the small part of it I could stand to watch).

This film was so incredibly horrid that after about 15 minutes I just could not bear it and had to turn it off, and I generally have a high tolerance for what some people might deem 'bad' films.

Lighthearted nonsense that isn't too bad in all honesty

Author: callanvass from victoria b.c canada
12 December 2013

Chris Calder (Corey Haim) is constantly bullied at school by a bully named Kurt. When he has to attend the same school as Kurt and his cronies, Chris decides to pull off a dangerous scheme by posing as a girl. Everybody ends up believing Chris is a girl. Chris becomes close with his crush Marie Stark (Nicole Eggert) Marie is Kurt's sister, and Kurt ends up falling for Chris as a girl, blissfully unaware that Chris is the bully they pick on. If you've seen She's the Man or Just One Of the Guys you'll know what to expect from this one. All things considered, it wasn't half-bad. It never takes itself too seriously, and Corey Haim should be commended for his committed performance in this one. He dresses up in women's clothing, and isn't afraid to humiliate himself. This movie is far from memorable, but one thing it's good for is some decent laughs. I couldn't help but chuckle at some of the silly things Corey Haim did in this movie. Nicole Eggert plays the token cheerleader very well. Haim & Eggert were together for a while in real life at one point as well. It's predictable, and it's your average "Guy gets the girl, overcomes the odds storyline" But considering Corey Haim's huge drug issues by the time this was released, it's a pretty decent effort. It's worth a watch on a rainy day if you can find it. You'll forget it as soon as it's done, though

5.4/10

Did 90's Music Really Sound This Bad?

Author: jfgibson73 from United States
21 June 2010

Just One Of The Girls is a cheesy early 90's comedy starring Corey Haim and Nicole Eggert. Corey dresses up as a girl to keep from getting beat up at school. This leads to confusing situations with his friends, family, and teachers. Corey is completely unconvincing as a girl, but in his world, he is able to pull off anything.

The film is more amusing as a so-bad-its-funny mess, and struck me as existing in the same universe as Vanilla Ice's movie. There were some parts that worked the way they were intended, also. I enjoyed how the lead bully was smitten with Corey's female counterpart, and Nicole Eggert actually made you feel bad for her.

It's completely predictable and totally ridiculous, but I found it all very entertaining. The cameo at the end by Alanis singing early 90's dance pop was icing on the cake. I'm only giving it a four because it's not a well-made movie, but I thought it was a lot of fun.

Very Good Movie

Author: MyjavaGurl from United States
1 May 2011

Just One of the Girls is a well put, comedy. I recommend this film. This is one of Corey Haims top 5 best roles. I'd say number 5 actually. The Lost Boys, Blown Away, License to Drive and Watchers come before this movie.

This is one of Corey Haim's better roles. This doesn't do better than Blown Away but its watchable. Very good storyline and camera action. The film could of used more comedic elements. I never seen Corey Haim in this kind of role, its pretty amusing.

If you come across this movie, I suggest you watch it. Other actors include Nicole Eggert (Tv's Baywatch), Lochlyn Munro (Scary Movie, Freddy vs. Jason).

Forget Alanis, Check Out Cameron

Author: helfeleather
2 June 2003

The best thing about this movie is Cameron Bancroft and company playing a particularly nasty gang of oafish bullies who make Corey Haim's life hell. Cameron in his black leather jacket is that irresistible blend of sex appeal and menace that you get from few actors.

Unfunny Haim Comedy

Author: Pepper Anne from Orlando, Florida
6 June 2004

Well, here we have yet another role reversal movie. There were many worth watching, despite the tired plot of gender reversal. However, this one is not. In previous reviews, I think I've made my point about the general decline of enjoyment for Haim movies that followed the late 80s. This is one of them.

'Just One of the Girls' is about a high school kid (Corey Haim) who tries to avoid his bullies by dressing up as a girl and attending another school. He joins the cheerleading squad and makes friends with fellow cheerleader, Marie (Nicole Eggert). Obviously, he can't keep up the charade for too much longer.

I thought this movie was utter crap, and it wasn't even funny. But, judging by a majority of reviews, it looks like fans of Alanis Morrisette or teen sex queen, Nicole Eggert, are the only ones who'd want to watch this. If you're looking for a good Haim feature (or role switching comedy), look no further than 1989. This is about the point that Haim's career tanked.

a star is born

Author: ivana from toronto
31 July 1999

I watched this movie like 5 times and i loved it each time. But the last time I wached , I saw something I didn't think I would see. It was in the last 5 minutes of the movie. I saw Alanis Morissette singing. She was acting as a singer and she was singing some cheesy dance song. I guess if you watch more carefully you'll see wonders.

Alanis, Alanis, Alanis

Author: anonymous from NY, NY
19 May 1999

Alanis Morrisette (pre-makeover) as the teeny-bopper singing 2 minutes before the credits roll - what else is there to watch in this movie? Alanis' mere pre-introspective presence is worth the rental!