IMDb > Jurassic Park (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Jurassic Park

Jurassic Park More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 88: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Great Fun; Spielberg Creates Prehistoric Magic

Author: Mark1988 from Australia
8 April 2007

Spielberg's Jurrasic Park deserves the cult following it has generated. Essentially the forces of the Jurrasic period are let loose on a team of unsuspecting experts miles away from civilization who must then rely on their cunning to survive the onslaught. Sounds simple but by god is this movie breathtaking.

Jurrasic Park stubbornly refuses to be classified as 'mindless', 'simplisitc' or 'boring'. It isn't high drama or socially relevant but it is entertaining. The best advice you can have for any film is to enjoy and respect what the director is trying to achieve. Spielberg is trying to tell an interesting, if not far-fetched, story hence we are obliged to sit back and enjoy it in all it's glory.

Bearing this in mind, Jurrasic Park is great fun. The acting is subtle and witty, particularly Sam Neil and Jeff Goldblum. The younger actors fulfill their roles very well, a facet of the ensemble which can often destroy a film. Even the support characters with limited screen time are given sufficient opportunity to be developed.

Furthermore, the special effects are unlike anything witnessed on screen. The dinosaurs are stunningly realistic and still hold up 10 years later. The photography is also deployed effectively, only giving little wisps of the more intimidating creatures until a scene's climax. The sound too will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck. The audio and visuals combine perfectly throughout. The scene in which a T-Rex's gait sets off vibration tremors in a harmless cup of water is unforgettable!

Despite these bells and whistles, no film is complete without strong direction. Spielberg displays why he is one of the most famous directors of our time. The dramatic pacing in this film is spot on. Characters are well developed before the inevitable 'something goes wrong and we must now run for our lives' scenario sets in. And unlike some of his other films, Spielberg is not overly dependent on special effects early on, letting the viewer's imagination fill in the gaps.

This is simply a fantastic movie. As far as an engaging and well-constructed adventure goes, Jurrasic Park thoroughly deserves its reputation.

"The definitive adventure film of all time"

Author: galileo3 from United Kingdom
12 August 2006

Steven Spielberg's 'Jurassic Park' smashed box office records upon release and became the highest grossing film at the time...The film is a technical triumph...A great blockbuster, that is not mindless, that does not bore you with loud bangs and explosions every seconds...This is Spielberg proving his rightful title as the 'King of the Blockbuster'.

Jurassic Park is a fine example of Spielberg's imagination and creativity. Mysterious locations, shady characters, fierce dinosaurs and a futuristic theme park. Michael Crichton's novel turned into a truly great film.

Richard Attenborough has managed to clone dinosaurs safely and put in them in a gigantic theme park where visitors can come and enjoy the prehistoric animals. But nature finds a way and the dinosaurs escape ...

Spielberg at his best!!

Author: Movie_Reviewing_101 from United Kingdom
2 August 2006

Jurassic Park is one of those films which everyone has heard of. It's presence is apart of our ever day culture, and has lead to a huge franchise, spawning two sequels, toys, video games and other high quality merchandise.

The film is about the billionaire John Hammond (Richard Attenborough) and his dream to own the most spectacular theme park on the planet. Jurassic Park, a park filled with living, breathing dinosaurs. But after the death of a park worker, Hammond must convince his investors that the park is actually safe. And to do this he invites three scientists, Dr Alan Grant (Sam Neil), Dr Ellie Sattler (Laura Dern) And Dr Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum) to his Island to give their expert opinion and to convince the investors that the park is safe. The film also stars two child actors (Ariana Richards) and (Joseph Mazzello), who play Hammonds grand children Lex And Tim. But after a security breach, the group get separated. Sattler and Malcolm are reasonably safe in the visitor centre with Hammond. Whilst Grant and the kids must safely out run dinosaurs and get back to the security of the visitor centre and of the island in one piece.

This film is by far Spielberg greatest achievement. Forget E.T Jurassic Park is the best. With it's breath taking blend of CGI produced by ILM, and the outstanding animatronics created by Stan Winston, the viewer has no problem believing that the dinosaurs are real. The scene of the T-Rex attacking the car is one of the most spectacular scenes in movie history and is definite to stay in the minds of anyone who witnesses it.

As well as the amazing plot which was based on the novel by Micheal Crichton. And the breath-taking special effects. The film also has a beautifully mastered soundtrack composed by the brilliant John Williams. Without this the film would be nothing, and would just have been a lonely film reel catching dust in some old storage room.

Jurassic Park is one of the greatest films in it's genre and is a definite must see for anyone who is a fan of dinosaurs or Spielberg. The film is rated PG in the UK and PG-13 in the states.

Milligan =D

Hold On To Your Butts

Author: Hellrazr360 from United States
1 June 2006

Jurassic Park is one of the films I just couldn't stop watching when I was younger. Although I used to watch it just for the roar of the T-Rex, the movie was still a perfect way for me to kill two hours on those boring Sundays I still deal with. While the idea of a movie that has the plot of "resurrecting" dinosaurs, the movie does an excellent job in making the plot believable and actually made me think: "If we had the right preparations, could we create dinosaurs?" It sounds crazy, but the movie really gets you thinking that after the easy-to-follow description of how they brought back the extinct lizards. As a movie directed by Steven Speilburg, the least one could've expected when watching a movie like this for the first time would be excellent CGI, and let me tell you, this looks better than many movies of today, and it's over twelve years older than them. Not only do the dinosaurs look astounding and believable, but the action they're put in (along with the actors) is equally satisfying and thanks to all-around great acting performances, there's plenty of well-done suspense throughout the film as well. But one of the many parts of this movie that immediately made me dig it was the music. The theme music in this film isn't only instantly recognizable, but it's also unforgettable and always a joy to listen to when watching a movie as fun and thrilling as this. While Speilburg has made (and still does make) some disappointing flicks he's still one of the top directors in my eyes and this one in particular stands out as a big hallmark. If you're looking for real entertainment that's larger than life, look no further than this thrill ride through the jungle.

dinos rock

Author: ulapower665 from United States
21 April 2006

If there's one thing I've learn from movies, its that you cant play god. This movie is an excellent example. The story itself is great though. I particularly enjoyed the t-rex and its antics. The cast was good as well. A good mix for a movie like this. The movie was quite entertaining, and when I first saw, it scary at moments. Those dinosaurs were very well made, pretty nice special effects for sure. The whole Spielberg style was really shown all over. I think the idea of a park with dinosaurs would be brilliant though. One good thing about a movie like this is that if this ever did happen, we would have far more park security for sure. None of these crap guns, but something much stronger. We cant have any dinosaurs eating people thats for sure. Well maybe some of the stupid people.

A great work

Author: Andrew Pilcher from United Kingdom
24 March 2006

This film will be provide a scary nights watching all by itself. One of the most popular film series in the world. This film has had a wide range of opinions thrust upon it. But obviously it was good, now there are two others. But this is the one that had, has, and always will have, the magic. The other two are still good, but you know kind of what to expect. With this you have no idea of what is going to happen. You can't just watch it once, and at the same time, you can't bring yourself to watch it without someone else sitting next to, or near you. With no soppy love, hardly and language and a plot to die for, this film is one of the best, and not just one of the best made by Steven, but one of the best, in the world. It deserves to be watched.

Wow

Author: CKCSWHFFAN from home
28 February 2006

I have been into dinosaurs since I was a kid.

Since I am female, that made that strange in my childhood.

Wonderful film.

Good John Williams music.

Could have been a little shorter, time wasted on minor characters could have been shortened.

T-Rex & the Raptors. Most enjoyed those scenes.

"Welcome to Jurassic Park".

Of course, love the Universal Studios Hollywood ride this was based on. REMEMBER, THEY THOUGHT OF THE RIDE ALONG WITH THE FILM.

The best of the 3 films so far.

Course, the famous error in the script about Disneyland opening in 1956, not the correct 1955.

Great Movie! So close to the book!

Author: canesheadcase from United States
13 September 2005

What a movie. If you read the book, and see the movie you won't be disappointed. If you see the movie an don't read the book no problem. The concept is so easy to understand, you can enjoy the movie without sitting there drooling-lol. The only thing wrong with this movie is that it clips the end, but the end was kind of weird in the book. So see this book, be warned that it does get a little gruesome, but that is to be expected. So go, see it, tried not to spoil it, but this movie is one of Crichtons best, if not the best.

The acting is spectacular. The actors give you the feel of a conspiracy, which is right in the movie, they convey such a sense of FEAR, and SUSPENSE, I just love this movie. Everything is good, especially for an old movie. Go and see this, if some one tells you it stinks, they're probably an idiot.-jk

Great Movie

Author: gottogorunning from United States
13 August 2005

This movie was really great. Don't get me wrong. I loved it. But I really think the first half of this could have been A LOT better. The action doesn't even start until an hour of viewing. But what follows is absolutely terrific. It scares you at times when dinos pop out of nowhere and it is one f/x movie that people really liked. Most movies of this kind (Independence Day, Godzilla, Armageddon, etc. Which I liked ALL of) are movies that don't really please like this movie. It's got really smart action sequences and fairly good acting but I think they should have used more popular stars, but you mostly concentrate on the dinosaurs, which do good acting jobs. I thought they would have been nominated for Best Actresses. The f/x are another thing. They look really good! Only if the first half was more exciting but oh well. The rest of the movie makes up for that mistake. That leaves one more thing. The sequel. I thought the sequel was top notch. It was even better than this movie. In my opinion, The Lost World: Jurassic Park is just slightly better than the first because it starts out with more action. That's unlikely for sequels. Watch them both. They will be remembered for generations. Until they become extinct. Or when the next blockbuster hits with great f/x and good script. Crowd-pleaser's are so hard to find these days, aren't they?

Truly incredible film-making

Author: gjwslw-2 from Geneva, IL
3 June 2005

I've watched this film many times and have yet to see a technical flub. The only disappointment is Jeff Goldblum. He was the only distraction of an otherwise brilliant film and singlehandedly destroyed Jurassic II. Attenborough was certainly the highlight of the actors and the rest of the cast (excepting Goldblum) were adequate to good. The real star of course, is the brilliant film-making. The only other film that impressed me as much was the original Star Wars. I would give a 10+ for Star Wars compared to a 9 for JP because SW used humor as well as fabulous technique. Too bad so many movies become too tense that the director doesn't realize the audience needs a little break. A prime example was "Psycho". The tension just kept building right up through the attack on Janet Leigh. It was about unbearable until Anthony Perkins rolled her car into the quicksand to hide it and it only sank halfway before giving a burp and sinking the rest of the way. The only laugh in the movie but in the perfect spot.