IMDb > Jurassic Park (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Jurassic Park

Jurassic Park More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 93: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Welcome to Jurassic Park... Best... Line... Ever!

Author: Tristan Detwiler from United States
21 December 2013

Plot:

Just a quick note, the book and film are almost nothing alike. But it doesn't matter! This movie is a masterpiece! Dinosaurs are brought back by using DNA found fossilized THAT is used to create Dinosaurs. Much like with the modern film Avatar, it's not so much about the plot, it's about the experience of being in this world.

Characters:

Jeff Goldblum is the star. He's the only one in the movie who has a brain or common sense. In fact, some, if not all, famous lines from this movie come from this character. Ian Malcom is a scientist (Rockstar according to John Hammond) and is the ONLY one who finds this whole phenomenon to be a mistake and a giant spit in the face of god and nature.

Visuals:

The dinosaurs and visuals are groundbreaking. It's the first time CGI was used extensively to create full objects that interact with the natural objects or characters. Animatronics are still used, courtesy of Stan Winston studios, and are incredi-amazing. Ah-Ah-Amazing...

Sound:

The musical score from John Williams steals the show. Even without seeing the visuals, just hearing the music sends me back to this world.

Enjoyment:

They really should remake Jurassic Park instead of making of fourth movie. Why make ANOTHER?!

A milestone in cinematic history, a huge achievement in CGI effects, and by the most well-known director in the world.

Author: Oliver Rendchen from United Kingdom
26 August 2013

Jurassic Park. An island full of dinosaurs who terrorise people; a simple premise but extremely well done. From beginning to end this film is just an enjoyable watch. Back in 1993 when it was released these never-before-seen effects had to have wowed audiences, and even now it still holds up with the anamatronics, CGI combo, it is really good; I've seen worst stuff in other movies and TV series. The characters I thought were pretty well done and acted, you really didn't want certain things happen to certain people and I really like Sam Neil as Alan Grant. Now, I was really exited to watch my favourite film on the big screen and especially in 3D, I watched it in IMAX as well, something I had never done before, and boy did it deliver. The 3D in this movie was one of the best I've seen in ages, better than Man of Steel and Iron Man 3 by far. Jurassic Park in the third dimension brought a whole new life too it, just some of the scenes with the trees, and leaves and then an awesome scene in the kitchen was good in 3D. So yes, I think Jurassic Park will continue being my favoured film for a long time to come.

I'm amazed this isn't in the top 250!!

Author: seamas from Galway, Ireland
9 August 2002

It still baffles me why this brilliant movie isn't in the top 250 movies for IMDB! it's amazing! I think this is the kind of film that people take too seriously and don't see the obvious reasons what make this such a great movie. For one such as "Jurassic Park" it represents everything a summer blockbuster should be, (and why Spielberg is the king of 'blockbuster summer' movies).

In all fairness, a film like this is only worth watching for the special effects (which still remain top-notch). It is a dinosaur movie- it does exactly what it says on the tin- it thrills and amazes and never lets up, it is perfect popcorn fare and not since "Jaws" (the first proper summer blockbuster!) has a film so brilliantly had such an affect on movies which were to follow. Essentially it is "Jaws" on-land and it does so perfectly, with great pace great set-pieces. I wish this film was in the top 250, if any movie deserves it , "Jurassic Park" does, not just for being such a great film but also for revolutionising films from there on out!!

Brilliant!!!

Best in the Series

Author: collin-20510 from New York
21 April 2016

You will not get anything better out of this series. I know lots of people are betting on higher budgets to bring this amazing one of a kind story back to life but it wont work. If you are looking for something unique as well as an adventure you have found it right here. I have been on this earth for only twenty three years and in those years I have not heard a negative comment on this movie. For the time it was made it is a masterpiece and when it comes to the writing and pacing of the story I would put it against a lot of different movies that are out now. Give it a watch and I promise you will not be let down. Jurassic Park (1993) gets a 10/10 for me and that is a hard rating to come by.

Raptors in the kitchen

Author: roystephen-81252 from United Kingdom
18 February 2016

To me, a really great movie is one that is both consistently entertaining and has something profound to say. One that has vivid imagination and gorgeous visuals, offering a spectacle you have never seen before. (Of course, it has to have at least some internal logic that does not insult your intelligence, as well.) One that has you glued to the screen from start to finish. One that has iconic moments you'll never forget.

Jurassic Park ticks all these boxes. It is endlessly rewatchable, great entertainment, with a meaningful message about Man playing God. When I first saw it at the theatre, for a dinosaur fan like me, it was pure heaven, a dream come true. It is not a children's movie, however (I was about twenty at the time). It is violent, sometimes gory, very suspenseful and has some genuinely scary moments involving child characters. (I seriously thought at the time that at least one of them would not survive the T. Rex attack, for example. Of course I knew it would not happen – after all, it's a Spielberg flick – but up to that point I had never seen children thrown into such deadly perils scene after scene in any movie.)

Highlights (those 'iconic moments'): the water in the plastic cup, the goat, the T. Rex attack, Tim in the mud under the belly of the car, the T.Rex in the rear-view mirror, Arnold's arm, the green jelly, the raptors in the kitchen (my favourite shot is that of the raptor's claw knocking on the floor) and many many more.

PS. I saw the 3D version, as well, and it works surprisingly well in several scenes. I still find post-conversion totally pointless (even movies originally shot in 3D rarely exploit the true potential of 3D technology), but for a post-converted movie, Jurassic Park 3D is pretty good.

3D Blu-Review

Author: Thomas Connors Jr. from Wisconsin
24 July 2013

Jurassic Park is one of my all time favorite films, it is a masterpiece and a landmark in film history. For anyone unfamiliar with the story, the Steven Spielberg adaptation of the Michael Crichton novel is about a rich entrepreneur named John Hammond (Richard Attenborough) who has designed and built the world's first amusement park with live dinosaurs. Hammond needs specialists to sign off on the park before the insurance company will allow him to open for business so he enlists Dr. Grant (Sam Neill), Dr. Sattler (Laura Dern), and Dr. Malcom (Jeff Goldblum) to take the ride through Jurassic Park, along with us. Of course after the ride begins things start to go wrong, due to sabotage, and chaos ensues as the dinosaurs take over the park.

The movie is a fast paced, suspenseful, and well done, in the tradition of "Jaws", not an exact reference of the source material but the version that was meant to be. The effects are still astounding and the movie still works 20 years later. The film's 20th anniversary 3-D convert is excellent. It has a lot of depth and the movie lends itself well to the added dimension. The movie was "sweetened" for the 3-D release, adding just some environmental elements for 3-D and the soundtrack was also tweaked to engulf the audience more.

The only new extra is a short featurette on the conversion of the film, that is also in 3-D, nice touch. The original blu-ray from the box set and a DVD is also included in the 3-D combo-pack. The extras on the blu-ray are a very good combination of older extras and a new documentary, which has counter parts on the sequels in the box set (or separate releases that are now available).The only changes are environmental objects for stereo- viewing, and the soundtrack has also been enhanced to engulf the audience. No there has been no real "changes" made, so no need to get upset that it is really more than what it is, a 3-D version of the classic film.

Well worth the upgrade, though I now have more copies of "Jurassic Park" than I can count…you want one???

Great stuff

Author: SanteeFats from United States
7 July 2013

I could not to own this movie. I think it can not get any better for a movie of this genre. The casting is excellent. There is humor along with the terror and horror that is encountered by the humans. The computer generated images are so life like and their mobility is very smooth, not jerky or blurry like in some movies. Jeff Goldblum is extremely good and funny in his role as the chaos proponent Dr. Ian Malcolm. Sam Neill is great as the older dinosaur specialist and Laura Dern is a good back up. I actually like the Jurassic Park movies a lot better than Spielberg's Star Wars stuff. I have watched the Jurassic movies several times and the Star Wars series I don't even own.

A generation's touchstone experience

Author: David Conrad from Austin, Texas
17 June 2013

Some alchemy makes everything about "Jurassic Park" gold. So many elements shouldn't work, but do: the dinosaurs should age with the technology that created them, but they don't; the acting and writing should register as corny, but instead they come across as charming. I am an admirer of the movie, but more than that, I am one of many people for whom it has become something of a touchstone experience. Like lots of others, many of whom are in my age range (I was about 10 when the film came out), I have seen it countless times and still watch it every couple of years. Every character has become a familiar, friendly face. At this point it is the people more than the dinosaurs that seem to drive the film, and I can't resist speaking their dialogue along with them. I use some lines even when I'm not watching the film; "I can afford more glasses," I've often said in Wayne Knight's voice when my wife has been unable to find her glasses, and "That's, that's chaos theory" in Jeff Goldblum's stutter is another favorite of mine. But as well as I know the movie, I still see new things on each viewing. When I saw the 3D re-release in theaters in May 2013 I noticed details I had never noticed before, like the mermaid on the restaurant facade where Dennis Nedry meets the "secret agent" from InGen's rival corporation, and the "Moet & Chandon" label on the bottle that John Hammond opens at the dig site in Montana. The enduring freshness of the film will keep me coming back, as if I could ever stay away from such a fun, nostalgic trip.

Still holds up in 2013

Author: tay-sedai from Perth, Australia
21 May 2013

Jurassic Park is another movie I first saw in high school - my entire year went on an excursion to Underwater World and finished the day off with a trip to the cinema. We were lucky enough to get to see this brilliant movie. My friends and I sat in the very front row (which, you know, sucked, but it didn't make the movie suck) and I remember being so excited to see this groundbreaking new movie with its purported amazing special effects.

Well, watching the movie today in 2013, it still looks incredibly good - better than a lot of CGI crap I've seen in recent years. And the story is still compelling and fascinating, but then I guess we have Michael Crichton to thank for that. Thanks, Michael, may you R.I.P.!

As a tiny aside, back in the day I thought Ariana Richards was THE coolness. It's a pity she never did much else, or really, anything else that I know of.

With a bazillion other reviews, I'll keep this short.

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
11 May 2013

By now there are nearly a thousand (not really a bazillion) reviews for this Steven Spielberg film. So, in the case of mega-hits where there is a strong consensus that the movie is exceptional (and I don't disagree), what more is there to say?! Apart from a few characters who seemed a bit one-dimensional (which is a minor problem in an action film) and the unwritten Spielberg rule that kids cannot die (taking away much of the suspense), the film is amazing. While the CGI isn't quite as beautiful as what we can do today, it STILL looks awesome. With only a few exceptions, the dinosaurs LOOK real! And, the music from John Williams is, as expected, very good. Overall, a highly entertaining film which will no doubt please everyone except for the impossible to please.