IMDb > The Judas Project (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Judas Project More at IMDbPro »

Shockingly bad

Author: jneiberger-1 from United States
1 May 2009

I wish I could give this movie zero out of ten. Oh my, is it bad. I mean really, really bad. I mean...if given the choice between brain syphilis and watching this movie, take the brain syphilis! At least that's curable! Everything about this movie is horrible. Gut-wrenchingly bad. So bad you'll need medication to re-enter society after watching. The makers of this movie should be embarrassed to ever show their faces in public. In fact, the stunning enormity of this movie's awfulness amounts to abuse, so perhaps some of them should be in jail.

Ignore the sycophantic claims of some reviewers that this is a good movie. It's possibly the worst movie to come out in the past thirty years.

Hello! Mixed Messages Alert!

Author: EmbyQuinn from United States
10 April 2006

So I was flipping channels and stumbled across TBN today. I saw a teaser for this movie and thought the stated premise actually sounded fairly intriguing. What if Jesus hadn't come to Earth to be born as a human being until, oh, say, 1990? Let's ignore for the moment the unifying influence the Christian Church had on Western culture, as well as the probability that without the Church (and its detractors), the United States probably wouldn't exist at all. (Hello, Puritans, anyone?) We don't do a lot of history-delving in this movie, nor should it be required. I grabbed some potato chips and sat back, careful to keep my spirits high and my expectations low.

Am I glad I did. I had a hard time for the first fifteen minutes or so telling Jesse (Jesus) from Jude (Judas). Seriously. I was also getting a really weird (and very unintentional) Brokeback Mountain vibe off of these two. Especially when the cheesy 1980s love songs to Jesse started. Yes, yes, I know they were supposed to be allegorical to gospel music. The whole "I love you, Jesse, I miss you so" theme to the funeral number still made me go "Hmmmm".

The story was actually fairly interesting right up to the climactic scene. When Jesse dies, so does the movie. With a resounding splat. It limps along for another fifteen, twenty minutes or so, falls to its knees (like Pete in Jesse's funeral procession), and then finally gasps its last, sides heaving, and goes face-down in the dirt.

Watch if you're bored, or for a giggle.

Jesus, the modern way

Author: Dougie B from United States
5 September 1998

This film claimed to be a modern re-telling of the story of Jesus Christ, however, it took the more American Fundamentalist approach to the story. For the most part, people's opinion on this film will be swayed on their view of the Christian religion. But, if you look more closely at this film , you'll see it doesn't even fit the views of many of today's Christians. Some examples:

1) The one female lead was portrayed as a seductive temptress, who only was out to corrupt men.

2) The person who killed Jesse (Jesus) had stereotypically Jewish features. (Also, it showed a him in a church with a picture of Mary in the background, possibly suggesting an anti-Catholic message)

3) It seemed to really press on the fact that anyone else with Jesse's (Jesus's) power would only want to use it for personal gain.

There were a few other things in this movie that were hard to pick up on, like one of Jesse's disciples being beaten by a cop for no apparent reason. It would appear that this might be an attempt to gain sympathy where none was able to be earned.

Again, people will either love this or hate it, based on their opinion towards Christianity. For a movie, it was decently done, but for someone who doesn't know the story of Jesus, it might be really hard to follow

My My My Don't waste your time on this one

Author: thlane_98 from NC
22 May 2005

This is a pitiful attempt to present a modern version of the story of Jesus. The entire movie seemed contrived throughout. The concept was ludicrous and it just didn't translate well at all. The soundtrack was incredibly lame. This one deserves to stay in the can hidden way back in the back of the vault. I see TBN picked this one up for broadcast late an night. That would be a very good time to broadcast it as it's not fit for daytime viewing. I was quite surprised too since it had some cursing in the script. I've seen lots of swords and sandals flicks and several religious films and I must say, without a doubt, every single one of them were better than this movie. In fact, I've seen movies I hated that were better than this movie. Is it ten lines yet?

are we sure that cloud ten didn't do this one

Author: ALBERTCAMUSUUBBUU
3 September 2004

well where should one begin with this pile of crap? oh how about the fact that is sucks. OK Christian's people aren't making fun of your religion when we make fun of movies like this and those god awful cloud ten movies we are making fun of how crappy the movies are. so the judas project first the best thing about the movie is the cover. i picked this beast up for 5.50 at wal mart and the reason i bought was because of this Jesus look alike wearing jeans and 4 apache attack helicopters ready to kill him. i thought awesome a Jesus action movie but it wasn't i didn't bother to read the back.

when i did realize that it was a modern version of the Jesus story i was still glad that i bought it. first i swear jesse and his followers never help anyone 90% of the time they are the screen they are either at the beach or camping. jesse does like one major miracle and then a lot of lesser ones like the cheese, pretty cute. there are enough people bashing the same stuff in this movie so here are some my favorite parts. i love how jesse always says "you" really loud and forceful. he does this about a million times too many. the other funny part is the 30 pieces of silver song that song went on for about 20 minutes too long. my favorite thing in the movie is the acting ability of peter. it is kinda of a good thing he was only in one movie cause i don't think people or the world could handle him. should you see it, heck yeah but not for a Christian message go read the bible or see better movies about Jesus than crap. if Jesus where an action star one of his sequels would be hunting down the b***ards that did this movie, amen!

Over all a good movie to teach the gospel to our youth

Author: pcpl1 from Canada
14 August 2006

If you forget about the acting, the direction and the low budget the story of Jesus is well toughed in this modern movie and can serve to teach values and the gospel to our youth who desperately need guidance. In my province which is Quebec the rate of suicide of 14-25 year old kids is astronomical.

As a born again Christian I was intrigued when I saw the video cassette in my video store and instead of judging before seeing I rented it and listened to it. I thought that the actor who played Richard Cuningham was good as well as the one who played Jackson. The other actors simply played their roles and nothing more. Mr. Obanion was not totally convincing but the message did go through and I was touched. The hardest scene for me to see was the crucification and it reminded me of what Jesus had to go through for my sins.

I simply hope that parents will have there kids listen to the message and values of the movie and that there will be less kids by their own in our streets lost and searching in the wrong places (alchool, drugs, unprotected sex and so on).

Pete

Great movie

Author: Rojan (rojan@videotron.ca) from Montreal (Quebec) Canada
4 July 1999

I liked the movie as far as the special effects are concerned. The actors were good and Ray Holtman for a man who was not an actor but a true Born Again Christian who wanted to do one last thing for God before he died of his cancer requested the part did a hec of a good job.

The story was meant to carry the message of the Gospel to teens and people in the 20es I hope it goes through as well as it does with people my age, 40, who have been Christians for some years. Some scenes as the crucifiction were intense and breath taking.

All in all a great movie.

The funniest movie ever

Author: (dhaas@stopacting.com) from Tampa, Florida
20 June 2000

I saw this movie when it first came out in 1993 because my church encouraged it. I initially thought it was horrible, but seven years later I rented the video and realized that it is a masterpiece of comedy. I rented the movie with my friends and ended up watching it five times in just a couple of days. You may think we are crazy but we couldn't get enough of it. We would roll on the floor in hysterics during most scenes, then rewind them and laugh some more. I'm serious. Things to look for -- the "you're good...(five second pause) but not that good," scene is amazing and the Lightning effects are terrific. People to look for -- Roberto Benigni, Steven Spielberg, and the sweaty armpit cop. Enjoy!

Truly one of the greatest comedies ever!

Author: Ibanezz from United States
21 March 2006

I saw this originally when it was released to theaters here in 1994 (why does IMDb say 1990?). A friend who worked at a local theater told us about this "really controversial" movie about Christ. Being a movie geek I was surprised that I hadn't heard of it, but figured that it was a small indie movie that didn't get much publicity. Since the theater allowed her to bring herself and three others to a flick for free, she and I grabbed our significant others and checked it out.

This movie was one of the greatest movie experiences of my life.

Seriously.

Sunday night, opening weekend. There are 6 people in the theater, including us. We missed the first minute or two and had to play catch up to figure out the premise. Lucky for us the second scene set up the rest of the movie perfectly.

If you have the movie you must watch this scene. If you don't have it, run to the DVD bargain bin of your local Wal-Mart and dive in. I'll wait.

Okay, the scene shows "Jesse" and "Jude" talking in a small restaurant. The camera is only showing one of them at a time, sitting at opposite ends of a table. They're discussing the miracle that happened the night before. After a couple of these one-shots, the camera shows the entire table, and there's this large bearded lumberjack looking guy sitting between them. There was no set up that there was anybody other than Jesse and Jude there. I remember saying out loud something like, "where the hell did THAT guy come from?" and the rest of the movie became a MST3K experience. There was so many bad decisions in this movie, from casting to acting to writing to music and so on that I find it hard to believe that anyone could take this movie seriously. I understand the whole "good intentions" thing, but there has to be some semblance of talent to pull it off, especially a story which people know so intimately.

After the movie ended the four of us (there was only one guy left other than us) stood around in the parking lot for two hours, smoked a lot of cigarettes and kicked around our own version of the movie. Today I got the idea of how I could possibly come up with that version of the movie, which is why I'm visiting this site.

I must admit, when I watched this movie on DVD a year or so ago, it didn't seem as bad as it did originally. The director/writer/music guy was sincere as to how he wanted to see this movie done, but he just didn't have the ability to pull it off.

The best way to watch this is the way my friends and I originally saw it: totally obnoxious. Have a few drinks, get loose and throw it in.

I only rated it a 9 out of 10 because my toe got stepped on really hard that night and it hurt. Otherwise it would rate a 10.

Spoiler Warning! Jesse gets crucified.

Betcha didn't see that one coming.

creative and interesting

Author: FilmLabRat
16 September 2002

In spite of some professional shortcomings (and sexism), this movie was creative and interesting... definitely giving food for thought and characters and adaptations for amusement. Good attempt to translate story of Gospel to today's world. Use of special effects was a bit distracting but not without artistic warrant to depict supernatural transformations, etc. Music was also original (style from the '80s but not bad) and appropriate.