IMDb > Indecent Proposal (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 10 of 11: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Copout

Author: Bevan Ravenswing (Bevan - #4) from Quincy, MA
10 April 2005

For the most part, this is a good movie. It has some very splendid bits of cinematography -- the bit where Harrelson's character is standing amidst a backdrop of TV screens, which suddenly in his mind's eye displays his wife, is very evocative. The characterizations are sound, for the most part, and the film avoids some obvious clichés ... take, for instance, Harrelson's drunken punch at Redford, which *doesn't* connect. The titillation you would have expected from the horrified rantings (adultery! prostitution! sin!) at the time of the film's release didn't actually appear -- Moore's and Redford's characters scarcely embrace, let alone are seen in bed.

The worst cliché that comes about is the last ten minutes of the movie, though, which inexplicably ditches two hours of characterization for the copout happy-ending-after-all that the Moral Majority and Lifetime crowds would appreciate. The film would have rung a truer tone if it had stayed its course, and demonstrated that actions have consequences you just can't slough off with a familiar catchphrase. It produced a sour note in what was otherwise an interesting exploration of human relationships.

5/10.

Excellent - thought provoking

Author: Swambi from United Kingdom
24 August 2004

Surprised to see so many adverse comments.

The film is well filmed, lots of clever, beautiful shots, captures the excitement and depression of gambling and poses serious moral questions. Such as, "Can anything be bought?," "What is the impact of adultery on a relationship" and forgetting versus forgiving.

I found the film entirely believable, and people's reactions very true to life. Demi More's acting as "D" was outstanding, and Woody as David good (especially lecturing on architecture)! Robert as John Gage was rather intermittent. The labrador (dog) was good! Lawyer too!

If you are interested in relationships, and thinking about serious questions, as well as good filming you should enjoy this.

POSSIBLE SPOILER HERE: Downsides? Yes, what the others say about some of the inconsistencies and whether John Gage's sudden turnaround is credible are true - but I only found this a small detraction from an excellent and thought provoking film, which pictured the emptiness of living for money, and the strength of love.

Indecent movie

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
20 May 2004

Ever watch a couple you know will never last. Well that is how I felt about the couple in this movie. Redford, was not likeable, and maybe none of the people where. Movie makes you feel dirty watching it, just like the people should. Chemisrty problem or just the idea is what I find wrong with this film. Just another movie, with no feeling. Like the one night stand in this film. This movie's cold like 1 day cold KFC, but doesn't tast as good when you get that KFC out of the fridge for breakfast. 4 or 5 out of 10. Hey, order the chiken, but skip the movie. My wife, hates the KFC, but I love it, Maybe get Kramer form that TV show to play Redford next time.

loose ends

Author: nitratestock35 from Portugal
4 September 2003

Just saw the movie again and I was surprised to see so many loose ends.

Here are just a few:

Why is Robert Redford's character gambling so high? It can only be occasionally - which would make the encounter between him and the bankrupt loving couple a coincidence. If he does it on a regular basis: 1)even as a billionaire he will be poor in no time, 2) he is a compulsive gambler - why? Lost love maybe?

Why did Redford pick Demi? Late into the movie he tells a story of a lost love. 1) does he - as a billionaire - have more right to find the right woman for his life) 2) How does he think Demi Moore will feel? As a replacement for what he remembers every single day? People who saw the movie will know what I mean.

And last but not least: if you love someone that much, you will never sell her (or him) out - ever. period.

The only thing making this movie worthwhile are the actors. Strong performances from everyone - it just doesn't make the slightest sense since almost every single action contradicts itself seconds after.

One last comment: the soundtrack (sorry, didn't bother to look up who composed it) was really bad. Listen and you will agree.

Well, here we have a soap opera turned into an overlong film.

Author: Draxx from Toronto, Canada
20 April 1999

This film is notable for some above average acting and snobby environment. It tried hard to be an emotional experience, but failed in that department. It attempted to make people believe that if a woman loves a man that she will not sleep with another man no matter what's at stake. I don't think this conclusion is perfect, however. First of all, one million bucks for one night is a whole lot of money, and for this cheque I would sleep with a dead cat... If she really loves him, Robert Redford cannot win her heart no matter what he does. The fact that the marriage was so shaken up after the incident only showed flaws in their relationship.

Doutbful premise but very good film

Author: Nicholas Rhodes from Ile-de-France / Paris Region, France
28 August 2006

In the case of this film, I make the difference between my own views on the moral issues involved and the quality of the film itself. Morally of course, it is all very reprehensible, you cannot sell your wife for a quick lay, even if there is a lot of money involved. I am sure this idea will have shocked 80 percent of the world, even though in the USA, and even worse in Europe, being unfaithful in a marriage is no longer considered a sin. Also, money is shown as opening the doors to everything, which is also morally wrong. Money is a tool which is supposed to enable people to live their daily lives but in excess it is obviously bad - just look at the whims of millionnaires ! The same may be applied to excesses of eating, drinking and smoking. Abuse all these and you will suffer! That apart, the film was actually very entertaining to watch. Notably, photography, lighting and music score were excellent. I am no particular fan either of Redford or of Demi Moore but both gave excellent performances. I was amazed by one or two plot inconsistencies ... we don't know whether Demi Moore left Redford because of the story he made up in the car or whether really she had second thoughts about her divorce proceedings. It is not clear. When she goes and sits on that misty jetty at the end, I found it an incredible coincidence that her husband just happened to be sitting there in the other seat on the same day at the same time. It just doesn't seem plausible and I supposed it was just put in to make the ending happy. That said, I like films with happy endings ... I don't like the cynics who want films to have sad endings under the pretext of it being more realistic. Its just a ploy to be different from other people which doesn't have any grounds. So I was most pleased by the ending, even if the artifice used to lead us to it seems a bit far-fetched. I am absolutely amazed to read in the comments here that " most women would sleep with Robert Redford for free, let alone a million dollars ". Who are these women ? The local gang of prostitutes ? Don't they have any self-respect, or is it just readers trying to be provocative ? I am shocked to hear this sort of thing, as if it was something banal, inevitable and to be expected. Robert REdford is just a man like anyone else. Why are people turning him into some kind of God ???? I have plenty of favorite and attractive actrices in the films I watch but I hadn't envisaged for one minute going to bed with them, either for a million dollars or for a bag of crisps!

Would love to see it again and again

Author: Vinod Sharma from India
4 April 2006

I saw this movie on TV (was it on Star Movies or HBO?) In fact the title did not appeal to me.I really could not make out the meaning of the title. I must have missed watching the movie for at least five times when one day I decided I must watch the movie. And I did watch and really enjoyed it - title notwithstanding. The story of the movie was indeed mind boggling, more so myself being from India. For a number of days, I kept wondering whether such a thing was possible. Believe me, I never saw the three main characters before or may be I did not remember any one of them. To me, the personality of Robert Redford was quite appealing. In future, if I know of some movie that has Redford in it, it will undoubtedly become a must-see movie for me. I must have talked about the movie with a number of chat friends in USA and found a majority of them had not seen the movie. But the ones who had seen, had words of praise for it. I will look forward to watching the movie again since now I know the story and also know the main actors by their real and reel names. A wonderful movie by any standards.

Is this worth one million dollars?

Author: David (Davideren@hotmail.com) from UK
1 July 2002

When this film first came out it was marketed as a steamy drama and, sad as it may be, Demi Moore's body played a major part in the studio's marketing plan.

Now i've got nothing against that but the really worrying thing is that this film seems a little bit tame by current standards. The steam appears to have well and truly dissipated into very thin air. That's not to say this film isn't watchable, because it is. The tearing apart of the happy couple in Las vagas and the hollywood ending makes for a pretty entertaining night's viewing.

My Rating: 6/10

Very Moving

Author: folkpoet80 from USA
17 December 2004

I can't believe the comments that IMDb has featured. The user seems like a high school drop-out with no sense for a good movie. The whole movie was moving with Woody Harrelson over-shadowing everyone else. Demi Moore was alright and Redford steals the lime-light when he recalls the train incident from 30 years ago. I think the main scoring point of the movie was when Woody comes to meet Demi and Redford at the end of the movie. Those 10 minutes of the movie were the best and make their make their mark undoubtedly. The song by Roy Orbison at the end was powerful to the movie. Soundtrack was superb!! I highly recommend this movie!!!!

Too gentlemanly to be indecent, too sentimental to be much fun

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
29 June 2003

Cotton candy involving a loving couple (bordering on good buddies) who lose their shirts in Las Vegas but get a chance to recoup when a world-famous billionaire makes a play for the wife--with booty attached! Great set-up for a story that takes a slow spiral downward once the couple returns home (to a rather lovely cottage in Southern California). Some sparks from principals Robert Redford and Demi Moore, but Woody Harrelson is out of his league and Adrian Lyne's direction is all visual and nothing much upstairs (and I could've done without the horse-racing video suddenly morphing into a shot of Demi in "the act"). The film is shamefully enjoyable, and capped with teen-romance fever, but aren't these characters a little old for moony-eyed puppy love? **1/2 from ****

Page 10 of 11: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]