IMDb > Indecent Proposal (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 10 of 11: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

loose ends

Author: nitratestock35 from Portugal
4 September 2003

Just saw the movie again and I was surprised to see so many loose ends.

Here are just a few:

Why is Robert Redford's character gambling so high? It can only be occasionally - which would make the encounter between him and the bankrupt loving couple a coincidence. If he does it on a regular basis: 1)even as a billionaire he will be poor in no time, 2) he is a compulsive gambler - why? Lost love maybe?

Why did Redford pick Demi? Late into the movie he tells a story of a lost love. 1) does he - as a billionaire - have more right to find the right woman for his life) 2) How does he think Demi Moore will feel? As a replacement for what he remembers every single day? People who saw the movie will know what I mean.

And last but not least: if you love someone that much, you will never sell her (or him) out - ever. period.

The only thing making this movie worthwhile are the actors. Strong performances from everyone - it just doesn't make the slightest sense since almost every single action contradicts itself seconds after.

One last comment: the soundtrack (sorry, didn't bother to look up who composed it) was really bad. Listen and you will agree.

Well, here we have a soap opera turned into an overlong film.

Author: Draxx from Toronto, Canada
20 April 1999

This film is notable for some above average acting and snobby environment. It tried hard to be an emotional experience, but failed in that department. It attempted to make people believe that if a woman loves a man that she will not sleep with another man no matter what's at stake. I don't think this conclusion is perfect, however. First of all, one million bucks for one night is a whole lot of money, and for this cheque I would sleep with a dead cat... If she really loves him, Robert Redford cannot win her heart no matter what he does. The fact that the marriage was so shaken up after the incident only showed flaws in their relationship.

Doutbful premise but very good film

Author: Nicholas Rhodes from Ile-de-France / Paris Region, France
28 August 2006

In the case of this film, I make the difference between my own views on the moral issues involved and the quality of the film itself. Morally of course, it is all very reprehensible, you cannot sell your wife for a quick lay, even if there is a lot of money involved. I am sure this idea will have shocked 80 percent of the world, even though in the USA, and even worse in Europe, being unfaithful in a marriage is no longer considered a sin. Also, money is shown as opening the doors to everything, which is also morally wrong. Money is a tool which is supposed to enable people to live their daily lives but in excess it is obviously bad - just look at the whims of millionnaires ! The same may be applied to excesses of eating, drinking and smoking. Abuse all these and you will suffer! That apart, the film was actually very entertaining to watch. Notably, photography, lighting and music score were excellent. I am no particular fan either of Redford or of Demi Moore but both gave excellent performances. I was amazed by one or two plot inconsistencies ... we don't know whether Demi Moore left Redford because of the story he made up in the car or whether really she had second thoughts about her divorce proceedings. It is not clear. When she goes and sits on that misty jetty at the end, I found it an incredible coincidence that her husband just happened to be sitting there in the other seat on the same day at the same time. It just doesn't seem plausible and I supposed it was just put in to make the ending happy. That said, I like films with happy endings ... I don't like the cynics who want films to have sad endings under the pretext of it being more realistic. Its just a ploy to be different from other people which doesn't have any grounds. So I was most pleased by the ending, even if the artifice used to lead us to it seems a bit far-fetched. I am absolutely amazed to read in the comments here that " most women would sleep with Robert Redford for free, let alone a million dollars ". Who are these women ? The local gang of prostitutes ? Don't they have any self-respect, or is it just readers trying to be provocative ? I am shocked to hear this sort of thing, as if it was something banal, inevitable and to be expected. Robert REdford is just a man like anyone else. Why are people turning him into some kind of God ???? I have plenty of favorite and attractive actrices in the films I watch but I hadn't envisaged for one minute going to bed with them, either for a million dollars or for a bag of crisps!

Would love to see it again and again

Author: Vinod Sharma from India
4 April 2006

I saw this movie on TV (was it on Star Movies or HBO?) In fact the title did not appeal to me.I really could not make out the meaning of the title. I must have missed watching the movie for at least five times when one day I decided I must watch the movie. And I did watch and really enjoyed it - title notwithstanding. The story of the movie was indeed mind boggling, more so myself being from India. For a number of days, I kept wondering whether such a thing was possible. Believe me, I never saw the three main characters before or may be I did not remember any one of them. To me, the personality of Robert Redford was quite appealing. In future, if I know of some movie that has Redford in it, it will undoubtedly become a must-see movie for me. I must have talked about the movie with a number of chat friends in USA and found a majority of them had not seen the movie. But the ones who had seen, had words of praise for it. I will look forward to watching the movie again since now I know the story and also know the main actors by their real and reel names. A wonderful movie by any standards.

Is this worth one million dollars?

Author: David (Davideren@hotmail.com) from UK
1 July 2002

When this film first came out it was marketed as a steamy drama and, sad as it may be, Demi Moore's body played a major part in the studio's marketing plan.

Now i've got nothing against that but the really worrying thing is that this film seems a little bit tame by current standards. The steam appears to have well and truly dissipated into very thin air. That's not to say this film isn't watchable, because it is. The tearing apart of the happy couple in Las vagas and the hollywood ending makes for a pretty entertaining night's viewing.

My Rating: 6/10

Very Moving

Author: folkpoet80 from USA
17 December 2004

I can't believe the comments that IMDb has featured. The user seems like a high school drop-out with no sense for a good movie. The whole movie was moving with Woody Harrelson over-shadowing everyone else. Demi Moore was alright and Redford steals the lime-light when he recalls the train incident from 30 years ago. I think the main scoring point of the movie was when Woody comes to meet Demi and Redford at the end of the movie. Those 10 minutes of the movie were the best and make their make their mark undoubtedly. The song by Roy Orbison at the end was powerful to the movie. Soundtrack was superb!! I highly recommend this movie!!!!

Too gentlemanly to be indecent, too sentimental to be much fun

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
29 June 2003

Cotton candy involving a loving couple (bordering on good buddies) who lose their shirts in Las Vegas but get a chance to recoup when a world-famous billionaire makes a play for the wife--with booty attached! Great set-up for a story that takes a slow spiral downward once the couple returns home (to a rather lovely cottage in Southern California). Some sparks from principals Robert Redford and Demi Moore, but Woody Harrelson is out of his league and Adrian Lyne's direction is all visual and nothing much upstairs (and I could've done without the horse-racing video suddenly morphing into a shot of Demi in "the act"). The film is shamefully enjoyable, and capped with teen-romance fever, but aren't these characters a little old for moony-eyed puppy love? **1/2 from ****

It's a tough sell.

Author: JohnRouseMerriottChard from United Kingdom
12 March 2009

An exceedingly rich business man offers a financially challenged couple the chance to solve their money worries, and in the process setting themselves up for life. His proposal?, one million dollars to sleep with the wife!.

Is Indecent Proposal actually indecent itself?, coming from the director of Fatal Attraction (1987), Nine 1/2 Weeks (1986) and Unfaithful (2002), sexual tensions are again the order of the day. Tho derided by critics as a glossy moral poser, Indecent Proposal actually holds up well as an indictment of power, perfectly essayed by Robert Redford's billionaire play boy, John Gage. Gage makes his proposal and knows full well that he's putting strain on that relationship purely for his own gain, it's scheming of the highest order, with Redford superb in the role. Our tortured couple are played by Demi Moore and a surprisingly effective Woody Harrelson. The acting does at times struggle to cope with the quick shift to the twee triteness that is Indecent Proposal's biggest failing. It's not that we are asked to believe in an alternate universe where, Robert Redford has to pay for sex, and a goofy Woody Harrelson marries a sultry Demi Moore. It's that we are fed sweeteners after being served a decent appetiser about the complexities of love and all its devilish emotions. A bit more bravery in the script and Indecent Proposal could have been a very fine picture, sadly it remains a wasted opportunity. 6/10

Disappointing "steamy" romance

Author: The_Void from Beverley Hills, England
18 December 2005

Despite a relatively intriguing premise, and a good first half; this steamy nineties romance-come-thriller falls flat on it's face in the second half, turning what could have been a great expose of love and money into a turgid sentiment packed drama, with little care for keeping it's plot or characters consistent. Throughout, the film impresses with mostly logical character actions; and this is what makes the film intriguing, but as soon as it loses that it ceases to be a film worth watching. The appearance of Billy Connolly in what can only be considered a bizarre cameo symbolises the fact that everything has gone wrong. The plot is so good because it directly pitches love and money against each other. The two have been joined lots of times, from The Beatles classic "Can't Buy Me Love" to the old saying "money can't buy happiness" - and this film works from the same means. We follow a young couple; who are happy, but have money troubles. After trying to gain some cash through gambling, a billionaire takes a liking to the female of the pair; and after finding out that she "can't be bought", he offers her $1 million...for one night with her.

Woody Harrelson and Demi Moore take the leads roles. The male side of the spectrum is a rather bland role, and although Harrelson makes the best of it; there isn't a great deal of meat available. Demi Moore was hot stuff back in the nineties, and does her best at looking sexy in a subtle sort of way. To be honest, I don't find her all that attractive...but I'm probably in the minority with that. Robert Redford, who accurately portrays the snobbish millionaire with the indecent proposal, tops off the cast. Redford is despicable, yet also suave at the same time; thus carrying off both sides of his role to perfection. The fact that this film depicts a marriage break-up by a third party is always going to ensure a certain amount of sleaze. However, the film just doesn't get under the skin of this idea enough, and once the actual proposal itself has been made, a thick layer of sickly sentiment overtakes any sleaze that the movie may have; taking the intriguing plot with it. It's a shame that the film couldn't have made better of its ideas, but that's just the way it goes. Oh well.

Sappy and predictable

Author: TOMASBBloodhound from Omaha, NE USA
28 August 2005

Indecent Proposal is all premise and no execution. The film exists only to give people something hypothetical to talk about over dinner or drinks once it is over. There is nothing redeeming either in the acting or technical departments to raise the material above the level of soap opera. The plot, as most people know, centers around a wealthy business tycoon (Redford) offering a young couple (Moore and Harrelson) $1,000,000 if she agrees to sleep with him one night. Obviously, they agree to the offer or this film would have never been made.

The main problem stems from the fact that there isn't enough story here for an entire movie. Once the bet is agreed to and worked out, where do we go with it? The writers turn the film into a ridiculously sappy flood of emotions and over-acting that can only end in the most predictable way. It doesn't take a genius to see where the script is going to end up.

The acting is part of the problem, as well. Redford probably thinks his performance is suave and charming, but a better word would be just "smug". There is nothing about his character that is likable or even interesting. I doubt his character was supposed to be likable, but I'm sure he wasn't supposed to come off as wooden as he does. Demi Moore is fine as the young woman. And physically she's as adorable as ever. What a babe! Harrelson, however, is so unbelievably awful that I feel truly embarrassed for him whenever this film comes on. He's a whining; jealous jerk who should have stopped the whole thing from happening if his wife meant that much to him. His performance is nothing short of "grating".

The film made a ton of $$$$, so who am I to criticize it? Just some sap who was duped into taking his girlfriend to it way back in 1993. At least I scored when we got home. So I guess there was one redeeming quality about this sap fest.

The Hound will give it 4 of 10 stars. That's more than generous.

Page 10 of 11: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]