IMDb > Indecent Proposal (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Indecent Proposal

Indecent Proposal More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 11: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A pleasent film and funny

Author: AslaugRuotsalainen from Denmark
30 June 2003

First time I saw this film I was somehow a bit suspicious since the plot seemed to be somewhat stupid. However, when I then watched it I changed my mind very fast.

With three great people playing the mainroles it is a great film and although it's, what I call a "sunday-cosy film" it does indeed also contain some depth.

Furthermore I personally feel that the three mainroles are played in a most great way; they're convincing in their roles and - Demi Moore is of course always a pleasure to watch as is also Robert Redford.

All in all I like the plot, the acting and it is, I feel, a film one can watch more than one time so rent it and you'll hopefully not be dissapointed.

You'll hate yourself in the morning

Author: Idocamstuf from Greenville, NY
11 June 2003

This is the kind of film that you can watch once and forget about it. It tells the shallow, emotionless story of a financially trouble couple who go to Vegas, only to have a cocky millionaire(Redford, in a very irritating performance) offer the husband $1 million for a night with his wife, the silly story just gets sillier and even more unbelieveable from this point on. You can watch it, but after a while you relize how silly, and shallow it it. 4 out of 10.

Robert Redford saves this movie!

Author: Streetwolf
13 February 2002

Summary: John Gage falls in love instantly when he sees the young real estate salesperson Diana smile at him as she is caught by him pinching candy from a store at a casino in Las Vegas. He admires her from a distance, as she plays craps with her architect husband David, who are trying to get some hard cash in order to pay off the rest of the money they owe on the land David has bought in order to build their dream house. When their luck runs out John asks David if he can borrow his wife, who suddenly turns John's luck and wins him a million. As their friendship starts John quickly finds a way to make an offer to David, one John knows David can't deny. A million dollars is offered for one night with Diana. David and Diana consider it putting their love on the test....

The story had a good plot i will admit that, but the cast was terrible. Robert Redford was the only one decent enough to watch in the movie, I was even able to find some goofs and the only few laughable moments are again with Robert Redford, who is this perfect, handsome billionaire John Gage, any woman who has two eyes and a functioning brain would stick with him instead of a loser like David played by Woody Harrelson. I still can't understand why John would find Diana attractive, Demi Moore plays her role well yet it could have been done better. I gave this movie a 6 due mainly to the charm of Redford. He is meant to be the bad guy, but you can't help falling for him!!

not so bad, could have been so much better

Author: sickcritik (sickcritik@hotmail.com)
10 November 2001

Indecent Proposal had so much to offer, Demi Moore in her younger days, back then when she was still fresh. She is in some great scenes, she accept to have sex with a guy for one million, good choice. She is really hot, with those breast who cannot be hot? Here is the story thanks to Ed Sutton.

A young couple very much in love are married and have started their respective careers, she as a real estate broker, he as an architect. She finds the perfect spot to build his dream house, and they get loans to finance it. When the recession hits, they stand to lose everything they own, so they go to Vegas to have one shot at winning the money they need. After losing at the tables, they are approached by a millionaire who offers them a million dollars for a night with the wife. Though the couple agrees that this is a way out of their financial dilemma, it threatens to destroy their relationship.

Just for showing us Demi Moore breast, at least a little bit, this film don't fall into mediocrity.

It's a thin story...

Author: Bart van der Hucht (bartvanderhucht@altavista.nl) from Amsterdam
7 March 2001

...there is something about the acting between Woody and Demi that makes you forget the whole silly plot. In my opinion the movie is not about if people can be bought, it is about returning to your true self and making mistakes on the way.

surprisingly enjoyable

Author: dcchris from Washington, DC
1 July 1999

I didn't think I'd like this movie at first, but it was surprisingly enjoyable. It takes you through a wide range of emotions -- it uplifts you, tears you down, resurrects you, rips you heart out again and slashes it . .. and then somehow renews your faith in love, even after the fragility of such has been exposed. I left my TV feeling strangely spiritual after watching it. I makes you want to hug the hell out of your significant other and never let him or her out of your sight again.

This movie isn't to be confused with Gone With the Wind or anything like that, but I wasn't embarrassed in the least to have watched it. I enjoyed it thoroughly. But for the record, I wouldn't give Demi Moore up for $1 million. But $2 million . . . hmmm . . . maybe the lawyer was right. I wonder how Bruce Willis made out?

Mixed reviews because it is very political

Author: boytoyhottycmu19 from United States
26 May 2006

Remember what Oscar Wilde said about the disagreement of critics: "Diversity of opinion about a work of art shows that the work is new, complex, and vital." There have been only a few films in the last decade which divided audiences more, but since INDECENT PROPOSAL has never really been considered the serious drama that it is, the arguments are not very heated. The politics in the film offend some, enthrall others.

The film is about the conflict of love vs. money, monogamy vs. promiscuity, romance vs. cynicism. These are all subjects many people have very personal opinions about. What is love? What is important for a relationship to be a success? Can you love more than one person? Can love be bought? These questions were meant to stir the pot, and they certainly helped INDECENT PROPOSAL succeed at the box office.

The film, instead of leaving those timeless questions open, as many contemporary films do, instead comes to a conclusion. The conclusion is a very romantic one, and it will not be popular among hardened cynics. The movie tells us love prevails, and although love may not always prevail in real life, it is important to note that it sometimes does. In INDECENT PROPOSAL, love and trust and monogamy win out over the decadence of the millionaire and his "offer." It is an optimistic conclusion, and an extremely satisfying and joyful conclusion for the romantics of the world.

The film is not only a romantic experience, but an example of great film-making. The photography, lighting, scenery, costumes, colors, performances, and especially John Barry's magical score, all add up to make an extremely high quality film. You may criticize the film based on your own political opinions, but do not criticize the music or photography! It is rare to see a film with such gorgeous style.

Copout

Author: Bevan Ravenswing (Bevan - #4) from Quincy, MA
10 April 2005

For the most part, this is a good movie. It has some very splendid bits of cinematography -- the bit where Harrelson's character is standing amidst a backdrop of TV screens, which suddenly in his mind's eye displays his wife, is very evocative. The characterizations are sound, for the most part, and the film avoids some obvious clichés ... take, for instance, Harrelson's drunken punch at Redford, which *doesn't* connect. The titillation you would have expected from the horrified rantings (adultery! prostitution! sin!) at the time of the film's release didn't actually appear -- Moore's and Redford's characters scarcely embrace, let alone are seen in bed.

The worst cliché that comes about is the last ten minutes of the movie, though, which inexplicably ditches two hours of characterization for the copout happy-ending-after-all that the Moral Majority and Lifetime crowds would appreciate. The film would have rung a truer tone if it had stayed its course, and demonstrated that actions have consequences you just can't slough off with a familiar catchphrase. It produced a sour note in what was otherwise an interesting exploration of human relationships.

5/10.

Excellent - thought provoking

Author: Swambi from United Kingdom
24 August 2004

Surprised to see so many adverse comments.

The film is well filmed, lots of clever, beautiful shots, captures the excitement and depression of gambling and poses serious moral questions. Such as, "Can anything be bought?," "What is the impact of adultery on a relationship" and forgetting versus forgiving.

I found the film entirely believable, and people's reactions very true to life. Demi More's acting as "D" was outstanding, and Woody as David good (especially lecturing on architecture)! Robert as John Gage was rather intermittent. The labrador (dog) was good! Lawyer too!

If you are interested in relationships, and thinking about serious questions, as well as good filming you should enjoy this.

POSSIBLE SPOILER HERE: Downsides? Yes, what the others say about some of the inconsistencies and whether John Gage's sudden turnaround is credible are true - but I only found this a small detraction from an excellent and thought provoking film, which pictured the emptiness of living for money, and the strength of love.

Indecent movie

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
20 May 2004

Ever watch a couple you know will never last. Well that is how I felt about the couple in this movie. Redford, was not likeable, and maybe none of the people where. Movie makes you feel dirty watching it, just like the people should. Chemisrty problem or just the idea is what I find wrong with this film. Just another movie, with no feeling. Like the one night stand in this film. This movie's cold like 1 day cold KFC, but doesn't tast as good when you get that KFC out of the fridge for breakfast. 4 or 5 out of 10. Hey, order the chiken, but skip the movie. My wife, hates the KFC, but I love it, Maybe get Kramer form that TV show to play Redford next time.

Page 9 of 11: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]