IMDb > Indecent Proposal (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Indecent Proposal

Indecent Proposal More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 11: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

It is painful to see it under-rated!

Author: rezaul_nsu from Bangladesh
2 March 2010

I easily forget movie names, but not this movie ever, as it might go to my instinct. Whenever I want to remember romantic movies, this movie comes to my mind after 'Casablanca'.

Anybody searching romantic and emotional movies should never miss 'Indecent Proposal'. The dialogues are written very beautifully, as this story is from a novel. The most positive side of this movie is that it creates romantic emotions to viewer's minds. The world is going towards artificial things and we are forgetting true love. This movie beautifully shows that true love is not purchasable and it should not be sacrificed for anything else.

Personally, I do not watch twice a movie because it seems to me that second time watching of a movie might lessen my first feeling of watching. But, it seems to me that I cannot help watching this movie twice!

Very controversial and probably not commonly understood by viewers!

Author: (zfiany@hotmail.com) from Lebanon
15 October 2009

First, I like the movie just to debate it with friends but definitely not a movie to watch twice. It's a decent movie though indecent proposal but the message is quite there in the ending and there are no other depths that call you watch it more than once.

Second, the movie appealed to me being a Middle Eastern and girls in my environment shouldn't even think of sexual relationships out of wedlock so let alone selling your body for money! Therefore, the whole story revolved around the weak character that Demi Moore played. Her character was so weak rather than in love. She couldn't say no to selling her body not to mention that the movie even went beyond the money appeal to reach the fact that women, even when they are in love, and unlike what men think of them, they can still be attracted to other guys just like them. One cannot deny that Robert Reford charmed her and the overall sexual experience with him wasn't that repulsive to her. She kind of fell in love with him but in a different way than that with Woody Harleson. The guy not only represented money to her but also changed her character from weak and unconfident girl who was indebted to her lover out of lack of selfconfidence to the strong confident lady who chose to go back to her lover at the end but after teaching him a lesson.

I don't respect her character in any possible way in the movie and I think of her as a quitter and so flimsy but she represents a rich character of emotions and a good substance to study and analyse psychologically. The movie all in all as I find appeal more to ladies than to men because there was nothing manly about the movie but the gambling part and that doesn't even count. However, men should watch this movie and think about many of its aspects as in would they reach a limit to sell their women partners for money and what do they think in general of a character such as the one played by Demi in this movie.

Can love be bought? Perhaps if you're a billionaire looking like Redford

Author: jeanne lee from Singapore
14 April 2008

I've read a comment about how this movie is so unrealistic and everything, but I think the situation is entirely probable. Perhaps not in the exact events, but the idea of someone richer offering something a current partner cannot offer; when love is tested by the lure of greater comfort in luxury.

What I love about this movie, is that it explores the naiveness of the love between Diane and David, but also the strength of true love. On top of that, the moral relationship between love and money, and how the doubts and demons we have inside, can push a perfectly established relationship away.

Yes Diane may have ended up with Mr Billionaire for a while, looking quite happy, but the happiness that Diane and David and shared, which can be seen in the movie, it cannot be recreated with someone else, though who is to say that you cannot be happy with someone else, given life's comforts and a relatively good looking man to boot. (John was also suavely persistent.) John commented at the near end of the movie, "she never would have looked at me the way she looked at him.". This shows that you can buy happiness but not love.

Though through it all, Diane returns to David, with nothing, no more millions but their love is so much more enriched. This is the general idea of how marriage/relationships in real life is like, that is not all smooth and a bed of roses. There are always thorns and to get past them, is summarized in what David said to Diane before signing their divorce papers, "when people stay together, it's not that they forget, is that they forgive." If you're lovers, this movie definitely shows you that as much as you love one another, you must never jeopardize the longevity of your relationship, thinking your love is invincible.

If you're working your way to be like John, the billionaire, you better snag a single woman fast before you end up lonely and single end of the day.

a great idea for a film, but...

Author: Stampsfightclub from United Kingdom
12 March 2008

Woody Harrelson (White men can't jump) stars as David. He and his wife Diana travel to Las Vegas to win some money to cover their debts. Billionaire John Gage offers the couple one million dollars if he can spend the night with Diana.

Based on Jack Engelhard's novel, Indecent Proposal covers the wants and needs of relationships and what couples need to do to survive.

This idea of buying people, although quite crude, is well established and portrayed in this romantic drama by director Adrian Lyne.

Though Robert Redford's (The Sting) character and acting isn't brilliant he does what he needs to do to dive right into the couple and exploit their problems. Harrelson and Moore (Disclosure) are both brilliant in their roles as the confused but loved up couple.

The whole idea of buying people for sex is horrible in my opinion but the film specifically portrays the crisis that the couple are in and the viewers will comprehend the decision which is eventually made.

Its quite a hard going film considering the financial obligations and the emotions involved. There are a few clichéd love ideologies thrown in to portray the closeness of the couple.

David's whole idea on archaeology was very intriguing and was a cool little sub story to look upon.

Its tense and dramatic at various points though fairly predictable and corny at others. Harrelson and Moore succeed along with the whole idea of the film. Redford's character is annoying for the whole film.

It's a pretty normal romantic film, with acceptable acting and a good enough plot to keep you entertained till the end.

Polo Marco

Author: Brucekent33 from United States
7 November 2006

YOur sacred earth Movie Redford rock of lighthearted dumb is quite a movie in which someone is suppose to totally care about earth and give there life for it. YOu made the movie so you should give your life for the planet. Any of those movies that show someone giving there life for the sacredness of earth are the ones needed to give there lives for earth. Not the Grimm Reeper ever. Your education is messing with your brain cells... Feel a plot thicken better than most people can shake a stick at. Not to many people can hold on when they see the Grimm reaper roaming the streets someone will try to take action as they have already done. Grow more trees to help keep those just as sacred as earth since they do belong on earth flourishing daily. Repeating a sentence again online. Look to those others who willing put themselves in those roles. Not someone who has not. The lurking light behind me means that is the end and the sacredness of the sun Dominates the universe. Check your local listings for helpful sacred earth saving concepts i've displayed them back to you all as you have displayed them to me and the rest of the population...:-)

Spoiler s wanted

Author: hockeylife1984 from United States
8 April 2006

okay so i am watching this movie on TV and its a good movie and then i get to the end(i think) when woody is getting in Robert's face in the rain storm and then the TV just cuts off and i cant getting it to work so could someone please let me know if woody and Moore get back together or does the Jerk Robert get Moore let me know that would be great

so i really liked this movie even for being a girl movie and i normally don't watch romance movies i really don't feel like this movie is very realistic. i do not feel like married people would ever ever do this kind of thing unless they are swingers and thats a very very mutual thing were both of the people in the realationship are present

Revolting concept, more revolting reactions

Author: Dewhistle from United States
23 January 2006

It wasn't that this was a poorly made movie, or that the acting was bad. It could have certainly made a good point but all it seems to have done is stir the entire film-watching community into an unfathomable dilemma. To wonder whether you would do such a thing in such circumstances and not be sure you would not is appalling.

The idea of the husband agreeing to it is sickening and hard to grasp, but his later inability to cope with the thought of it brings it back down to earth. If a man managed to persuade himself of the insignificance of his wife's having sex just once with another man, he's a fool and either doesn't care or must realize later he was wrong. This guy felt it come home to him as he surely must.

And she was made to appear a sweet little self-sacrificing angel, which brings mixed feelings. He agreed to it initially and in theory had no business treating her like a criminal. And yet, she went and carried it out, with no apparent suffering. Anyone with any real integrity, honesty, and well... morals, would surely have some trouble with this, unless they indeed found it alluring enough to overcome their scruples.

That rich dude was also well-acted, but how creepy! Sexy he wasn't. He was a stalker, creeping around her everywhere she went and smugly buying her life piece by piece as if it were all part of buying her. I agree with those who said that the idea of his giving her up in the end was a crock. That kind of narcissist doesn't let go once he has what he wants. But I also think he did need to be attractive (on the surface anyhow) because that was pivotal to the jealously of the idiot husband and the uncertainty of the tart wife.

This is on my list of movies that never should have been made. It was one long "eew" moment for me and never once raised the question of whether I would. Believe it or not, there are some folks in the world who can see that it could never be worth it. Money can't buy back a filthy act. It's sad to see the morals of so many degraded to the point that they could even consider it.

The rating of 5 stars is for the acting and the film quality.

re: Indecent Proposal

Author: syl_dug from Canada
31 October 2005

I saw this movie years a g o and thought the acting was great.... as far as the moral side it was despicable. MONEY, is MONEY... LOVE is LOVE... no amount of money could ever replace or come close to the meaning of love whether the person is: divorced, separated, married, annulled, atheist, lunatic. The movie brought out the question, would you? I always replied, no (without hesitation) I would go on welfare first. Money is not evil (it can be if you let it.) Robert Redford was great! but no thanks! my heart belongs to someone else. sylvia THEY TELL ME I HAVE TO WRITE AT LEAST 10 LINES... IF YOU LOVE SOMEONE TELL THEM NOT THRU OTHER PEOPLE

Don't Know Much About Chemistry.

Author: tfrizzell from United States
7 June 2004

A married yuppie couple (Woody Harrelson and Demi Moore) gets hit hard by recession. So now what? Las Vegas anyone? Naturally that idea is not the best in the world, but things look up (kind of) when rich businessman Robert Redford wants to borrow Moore for a weekend (and pay $1,000,000). We all know that Redford has not made this proposition to just sit and talk with Moore though. And of course therein lies "Indecent Proposal". Director Adrian Lyne (who hit gold with "Fatal Attraction" in 1987) tries to create another adult pot-boiler, but really this film is a major bore. It is way too talkative, too long and too silly to engross. The three leads just do not play well together (no pun intended) and the chemistry lab never does open. 2 stars out of 5.

Yea, ok

Author: Shari (AfricanVenus84@aol.com) from United States
25 March 2004

The odds of this happening? Eh, how about 1 in a million? Since that's the favorite number in this movie. It did make you question your significant other though. If you're smart, you'll say heck no honey, not me, lol. I could seriously say no cuz a million bucks ain't a lot of money to day. And Redford's just old. It was suspenseful that they wouldn't go into the details of that night. Guess the director wanted to leave it to our little imaginations, but I'd rather just know what's going on. I hate having to make it up myself. The downward spiral of the relationship was inevitable and it was played well by Woody. The plot got a little stale as she went on to be with Redford. It just was a little contrived and not at all natural anything between them. You sensed there should be, but there wasn't any. Was that the point? To say she had better chemistry with her husband? That if it ain't broke, don't fix it? Well, it could be analyzed a 1000 ways. I liked how Redford's character pretended to have done this before to let her go back to her husband. It connects to other parts of society really when you think about it. Poor women are forced or compelled to do similar things just to have some money and be independent or out of debt. Here, a married couple trying to get money for a house have decided that the wife can sleep with a millionaire to buy their "dream home"? Talk about a new way to achieve the American Dream, lol. As ridiculous as it seems, the movie still makes you think. If I had no money and was desperate, what would I do? The cinematography was very beautiful. Even the carwash looked nice. It just came together visually throughout the entire movie. Demi looked flawless and elegant. She wasn't overdone which fit her character well. I liked that they had regular jobs that some other people would, but owning a home ain't easy in this country. Trying to live a simple dream isn't easy in this country. The film touches on many issues. Get a good watch.

Page 8 of 11: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]