IMDb > Indecent Proposal (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Indecent Proposal

Indecent Proposal More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

One of the most entertaining morality plays

Author: Max Salvatore from Russian Federation
1 October 2008

INDECENT PROPOSAL, along with THE DEVIL'S ADVOCATE (Al Pacino and Keanu Reeves) are two of the most entertaining morality plays out there. The moral to the story, without needing to go into Christian theology or anything else is really simple: there's no such thing as a free lunch. I remember when the movie was out in the theatres and the many sound bite talk show people would ask guests and people on the street if they would do what the couple Demi Moore and Woody Harrelson did in the film; so many fools said "yes, in a heartbeat" and I wondered about the education system of our country! The line of the stylish Robert Redford when Demi Moore accused him (while slowly being seduced by him) of being a man "who likes to own things" summed up the whole movie: "You think I need to BUY women?" Redford, a man in this movie who as a billionaire has seen and caused the birth and death of multi-national corporations the size of ancient civilizations, knew EXACTLY what would happen to their marriage, and to their mind- and to her heart, if they knowingly accepted this proposal most indecent. He depended on THEIR arrogance and scoffing at the fragile nature of human relationships and the invisible architecture of the human soul; knowing, like every man (and woman) with a secret plan for another human being, that that would bring about the predictable but unexpected chain of outer events. The movie's most poignant turn, however, is when he reveals the road not taken in HIS life, with all his billions, and how that has generated much of his actions. Only then do we really discover under no uncertain terms what he wants, and what he is willing to do to get it. That really begins the falling domino of epiphanies that leads to the revealing of the gentle, fragile and beautiful hearts of all three of the characters, and the transcendent power of love, commitment and surrender. It's a good guy/girl movie as well, because Woody Harrelson is so much the All-American man, full of rambunctious flaws and money problems (can't relate), where Robert Redford is, well, Robert Redford; he is the next best thing to Sean Connery's James Bond in this movie when it comes to the debonair, power- broker man the women couldn't resist if he had a 30k a year job, let alone making 30k every couple of hours. The testosterone is there. Combine that with the transformation of both of their characters because of the love of Demi Moore, who can play the dichotomous strong/weak women better than most of the Hollywood actresses out there still (if she would just take better scripts- aren't the bills paid sweetie?), and you've got more intelligent INNER action, romance and sympathy than you can shake a stick at. Worth owning. Ignore some of it's flaws (too miniscule to mention really; if you want CASABLANCA than buy that for Gawd sakes) and you'll have a great time with it- perhaps even learn something about yourself that you didn't know you knew.

Interesting but seriously flawed

Author: Rockford_6 from United States
27 September 2008

INDECENT PROPOSAL is one of those formularized, supposedly heartfelt movies told in one mess of a tale. It starts off with a couple (Demi Moore and Woody Harrelson) struggling to make ends meet and just as they are about to drown in debt, they hit the jackpot in Vegas and then lose all their winnings again. As they are about to hit rock bottom, Robert Redford, a multi-billionaire, comes into their lives to give them a chance to get one million dollars. The catch: Redford "borrow" Woody's wife for one night. They agree, but this of course changes the course of their relationship forever. Woody Harrelson is truly miscast in a role too serious for him, making some scenes unintentionally funny. Yet the other two leads help keep this vechicle interesting. Despite the limited success of the script, it remains as a flawed but ambitious work.

The Best Romantic Movie

Author: haim001 from Israel
18 August 2006

**SPOILER WARNING, ABOUT THE FIRST 30 HOUR OF THE MOVIE.**

Its the first movie that I've cried in... this movie is so awesome!!! if you haven't saw it you must see the movie!

I've never thought about something like giving my girlfriend for one night to some million dollars... and if I had some option like that I think me and my girlfriend had took it. But after this movie, ill never do it. in the movie there are couple of friends, that love very much each other, and then some rich man offering them 1 million dollar for one night with the woman. and than the movie starts, amazing heart breaking and more, you got to see the movie. amazing movie, sad & funny, and its gave me a feeling of Love to the movie.

you must see it. I gave it 10 RATE

The Salacious Sundance Kid Wants A Piece Of It

Author: Eye-on-the-pie-in-the-sky from Seattle, WA
15 August 2005

At once admirable and a gorgeous piece of trash is Adrian Lyne's "Indecent Proposal" (1993). Can I get an "amen" for affirming that Mr. Lyne is one of the best purveyors of cinematic relationship-angst? Indeed, his "Fatal Attraction" (1987) is one of the most horrifying and entertaining movies I've ever seen.

David and Diana Murphy (Woody Harrelson and Demi Moore respectively…obviously) are relatively new to matrimony but are deliriously happy and have big plans for their future. David is an adept architect looking to complete his and his wife's dream house in Santa Monica. Diana is a realtor who pays the bills until the dream is fulfilled. Everything is going great: the blueprints and models have been constructed, the land bought and, of course, the California sun is perpetually shining through the smoggy haze. And then, fate deals them a moral and ethical blow. What leads up to this is an economic recession in which Diana cannot sell a single piece of property and their current assets are in danger of being liquidated. In a spontaneous, desperate measure they both go to Sin City and attempt to raise enough money in order to keep their property and dream alive. They do good for the first night: they brought their original $5000 to $25,000 and celebrate the way all gambling couples do by converting that $25,000 into hard currency, throwing it on a Hilton bed and moistly copulating on and around it. It was quite poetically philosophical in evoking the notion that money has become the apotheosis of sexual lubricant.

John Gage (Robert Redford) is a filthy rich womanizer who gets off playing high-stakes blackjack and buying the unbuyable. He encounters the babealicious Diana and immediately realizes that he has something new to distract himself with. Through a complicated series of events he makes the titular offer by exchanging one night with Diana for one million dollars. Quite instinctively, the couple are horrified and indignant. However, later that evening, Diana says that it would only be her body and not her mind or spirit that Gage will have. After debating they agree to the proposal and so forth the conspicuous and financed affair goes.

Afterward (did they…you know, do it?) Diana comes back and they both think that this is something that can be put behind them as long as they never talk about it. Well, David just can't live with that as a little time goes by (could you?) and absolutely insists on finding out what happened that fateful evening. Diana eventually caves and says that there was sex and that it was fantastic. This doesn't mean that she doesn't love David anymore but David takes this a sign that she doesn't love him anymore anyway (men are from Mars, after all). There's a fallout, divorce papers and a bona-fide relationship that begins to develop between Diana and John (he pursues, she relents, the cheetah gets the zebra). Yet after all this we get the super-duper mega happy ending.

The ending aside we get some interesting subtleties throughout the film. John Gage is urbane to the Wayne Newton degree and the couple couldn't be less disingenuous and self-righteous than the Republican Party. There is a great deal of flirtation and insinuation that is truly riveting and, at times, quite plausible. However, if this were real life, there's NO WAY the two would be as ultimately conciliatory as they come to be by the end of the film. Call me provincial but, in my eyes, the marriage covenant is inviolable and incapable of repair after such a devastating blow.

Can I say overrated?

Author: coza_usa from New Jersey
13 July 2003

The main characters are really not believable.

Robert Redford plays the cliche calm and suave tycoon who gets what he wants including women. The only difference here is that somehow his character has genuine feelings about love. Whatever!!!

Woody Harrelson's portrayal of a loving husband who is willing to give his wife to some rich jackass (Robert Redford) for one night only to moments later utterly regret that decision is a joke.

SPOILER I can say Demi Moore's character is the worst. How the hell does she manage to fall for the guy (Redford) who turned her into a prostitute? Is this where the male director and male writer play out their fantasy?

interesting concept; casting disaster

Author: kentucky from Los Angeles, California
2 February 2000

Possible spoilers . . . proceed with caution:

It's a provocative question that leads to more questions: Would a happily married but financially desperate couple agree to let the wife have sex for one night with another man for a million dollars? If they did, and the money turned out to be the solution to their financial problems, could their marriage survive that solution? It's a good premise.

Not even a great premise, however, could survive what surely ranks as the stupidest casting in the history of motion pictures.

Demi Moore as our heroine? OK, let's go with that. But now make her choose: She can stay with her immature, irresponsible, unstable, impoverished, selfish failure of a husband played by the at-best-average-looking wacko Woody Harrelson. Or she can sail off into the sunset with the unimaginably wealthy, charming, sophisticated, sensitive, generous and drop-dead-gorgeous-at-this-and-probably-every-age Robert Redford.

The choice is so obvious it makes the decision, and therefore the whole movie, ridiculous. Cast a young leading man like a Brad Pitt as the husband and an older character actor like Gene Hackman as the suitor and the premise makes sense. Stack the deck entirely on the side of the suitor by casting Redford, and there's not a woman alive on the planet today who would think twice. Bye-bye husband, bye-bye movie.

How dumb. What a waste.

OK but unrealistic

Author: daniel-mcgarry from United States
10 June 2009

I'm only writing a review to share the humorist Erma Bombeck's observation.

In one of her last columns before her passing, she mentioned that she and her husband had gone to see this movie.

As they were driving home, her husband asked "Well? Would you?" "Would I what?" she asked.

"Would you sleep with Robert Redford for a million dollars?" "It depends," she said.

Her husband was shocked. "DEPENDS?" he choked. "Depends on WHAT?" "Depends on whether he'd let me make monthly payments..." she replied.

I passed root beer through my nose when I read that - had to share.

Too ridiculous -- MANY SPOILERS IN HERE

Author: anniecat45 from San Francisco, CA
21 October 2005

This movie was so ridiculous it isn't even offensive.

How was it ridiculous? Let me count the ways:

S P O I L E R S

A P P R O A C H I N G

1. the idea that a happy married couple would agree to loaning out the wife, for any sum of money, is silly. The idea that Robert Redford would ever have to pay for sex is just laughable (most women I know would happily volunteer). Only slightly less of a joke is the idea that the wife who had agreed to this would then (1)leave Mr. Redford at all, to (2) return to Woody Harrelson. And, although I do realize that no woman ever entirely understands what draws a man to a woman, I can't see Robert Redford or anyone else paying $1 million for Demi Moore. Put Halle Berry or Sophie Marceau in that role, and I might be able to buy it, but I can't see Ms. Moore as million-dollar material.

If you bother with this at all, close your ears and just look at Redford.

Is Redford copying his part as Gatsby?

Author: Vlad Rotariu (vlady_r2002@yahoo.com) from Sibiu, Romania
6 March 2005

This Hollywood-love story seemed to me as a somewhat tasteless copy of Gatsby set in our days.Did someone notice the striking similarity between John Gage,the sinfully seductive billionaire from this film,and Redford's earlier character Gatsby? Up to the encounter with this character the film seemed fairly well-done,yet uninteresting.It is how about a woman(Demi Moore) met the man of her life(Woody Harrelson)and how they plan to live together in an idyllic marriage,have kids and you can guess the rest. But as such respectable outcome would have made this film utterly event less,disaster strikes shortly after they exchanged wows,being hard up for money they head to Vegas in order to save the family's budget and,as expected,end up broke. This is the moment when destiny is giving them a chance in a strange way-they meet mysterious John Gage,billionaire and single,who just witnessed how they lost their last money. And as money can buy everything,he is about to strike a deal with them-would the husband lend his wife to him for night only in exchange of one million crisp,freshly printed,authentic,hard-earned bucks? Well..the proposal sounds a bit too over the top even for a cynical environment like Vegas or the U.S.,where people in need for money do much more humiliating things for much less(it's capitalism,baby!): on one hand her virtue as good wife will be compromised for good and she'll have to live with her guilt,on the other hand she will become in an instance one million richer for a job most women would do for free anyway-for the sheer pleasure of the "act" especially with someone like Redford,notice that the chemistry between them is mutual,Moore's character not even concealing it,in spite of her much loved husband.For Gage she is nothing but another pastime which comes quite affordable to him as he won and lost three,not one,millions while gambling,untroubled as if it was just spare change. What she doesn't know is that the business will have unwanted consequences for all the three of them,as it will soon turn out to be more than an issue of money. I think that John Gage resembles Gatsby-his elegant garments,his house seems just taken out of the 1974 version of Gatsby,his car,in spite of being a more contemporary model,is also yellow and a Rolls-Royce,just like Gatsby's,even his initials match J.G. being possible to stand for both John Gage and Jay Gatsby.He is even having an affair with a married woman,though Moore's character is not the spoiled Daisy,so doesn't actually have to impress her with luxury(even if he does it,being a true gentleman).Yet another,even more important similarity with Gatsby:he is extremely vulnerable,very lonely under his good-looking,elegant exterior,craving for affection and probably closeting a haunting mystery from his past,trying to make up both for his past and his solitude. Redford is credible in this part,even more credible than as Gatsby-he's either the cocky lover boy(but with moderation,not vulgar,just for en extra touch of thrills),either smart-ass and patronizing like the CEO of some multinational enterprise,handsome and sexy in a very narrow,conventional,American sense of the word,extremely good-looking and athletic yet lacking depth,inner beauty,charisma.Nevertheless I think that back in 1993,in spite of his age,most American women would have accepted Redford's proposal,not the character's if not acted by someone at least as good-looking as him,for free. However as the story twists and he discover that,besides physical attraction she is about to fall in love with him(and he also knows that their love is uncertain and would probably just make her suffer)he finds a very gentleman-like way to separate without hurting her,stating that she did't mean anything to him,that she's just one of the many women which he seduced using the same method,although this is untrue and he really loved her,not only desired her.By letting her go and try to rebuild her life with her less privileged husband,Gage,like Gatsby turns out right in the end.Unlike Gatsby,he doesn't pay with his life for believing in his ideal so much that he overlooks the real face of the loved woman,however he also has to face another sort of death-the death of his dream about the ideal,always longed for,seldomly accessible(yes,in spite of intercourse and humble background she is still inaccessible to him).Due to this romantic,even if somewhat corny outcome,and the sometimes more than conventional character Gage this film might be more than a typical,forgettable Tinseltown blockbuster.

Way over the top...

Author: Paul A. Cook (mipablito@aol.com)
22 October 2001

Come on! This movie is just hilarious.

As Jim Carrey would say....."was that Over the Top?....I can never tell".

What really got to me, was the scene were Woody goes into the betting hall, and he sees a thousand visions of Demi Moore, getting "ridden" by Robert Redford.....TOO MUCH.

I also LOVED the scene, when the dirty deed had been done, and she meets Woody back in the hotel suite, and he seemingly tries to "wipe off" Robert Redford from her lips.....TRULY HILARIOUS.

Page 6 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]