IMDb > Indecent Proposal (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 6 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Miscast Redford

Author: jamdonahoo from United States
11 September 2006

This story had the potential of a good film. The difficult choice of love versus money and the angst and regret of making the wrong one. However the movie was ruined by the horrible miscasting of Robert Redford as the villain who offers $1,000,000 to sleep with Demi Moore. Like Redford has to pay for it. Redford's boyish good looks and All American charm just don't cut it as an unlikeable, threatening, boor. Redford's acting skillls are insufficient to make his character menacing. I can see it now, $1,000,000 to sleep with Robert Redford. OK says the lady but you will have to give me some time to raise the money. Jack Nicholson would have been perfect as the sleazeball.

Too ridiculous -- MANY SPOILERS IN HERE

Author: anniecat45 from San Francisco, CA
21 October 2005

This movie was so ridiculous it isn't even offensive.

How was it ridiculous? Let me count the ways:

S P O I L E R S

A P P R O A C H I N G

1. the idea that a happy married couple would agree to loaning out the wife, for any sum of money, is silly. The idea that Robert Redford would ever have to pay for sex is just laughable (most women I know would happily volunteer). Only slightly less of a joke is the idea that the wife who had agreed to this would then (1)leave Mr. Redford at all, to (2) return to Woody Harrelson. And, although I do realize that no woman ever entirely understands what draws a man to a woman, I can't see Robert Redford or anyone else paying $1 million for Demi Moore. Put Halle Berry or Sophie Marceau in that role, and I might be able to buy it, but I can't see Ms. Moore as million-dollar material.

If you bother with this at all, close your ears and just look at Redford.

Copout

Author: Ravenswing from Kelfour's Landing
10 April 2005

For the most part, this is a good movie. It has some very splendid bits of cinematography -- the bit where Harrelson's character is standing amidst a backdrop of TV screens, which suddenly in his mind's eye displays his wife, is very evocative. The characterizations are sound, for the most part, and the film avoids some obvious clichés ... take, for instance, Harrelson's drunken punch at Redford, which *doesn't* connect. The titillation you would have expected from the horrified rantings (adultery! prostitution! sin!) at the time of the film's release didn't actually appear -- Moore's and Redford's characters scarcely embrace, let alone are seen in bed.

The worst cliché that comes about is the last ten minutes of the movie, though, which inexplicably ditches two hours of characterization for the copout happy-ending-after-all that the Moral Majority and Lifetime crowds would appreciate. The film would have rung a truer tone if it had stayed its course, and demonstrated that actions have consequences you just can't slough off with a familiar catchphrase. It produced a sour note in what was otherwise an interesting exploration of human relationships.

5/10.

Is Redford copying his part as Gatsby?

Author: Vlad Rotariu (vlady_r2002@yahoo.com) from Sibiu, Romania
6 March 2005

This Hollywood-love story seemed to me as a somewhat tasteless copy of Gatsby set in our days.Did someone notice the striking similarity between John Gage,the sinfully seductive billionaire from this film,and Redford's earlier character Gatsby? Up to the encounter with this character the film seemed fairly well-done,yet uninteresting.It is how about a woman(Demi Moore) met the man of her life(Woody Harrelson)and how they plan to live together in an idyllic marriage,have kids and you can guess the rest. But as such respectable outcome would have made this film utterly event less,disaster strikes shortly after they exchanged wows,being hard up for money they head to Vegas in order to save the family's budget and,as expected,end up broke. This is the moment when destiny is giving them a chance in a strange way-they meet mysterious John Gage,billionaire and single,who just witnessed how they lost their last money. And as money can buy everything,he is about to strike a deal with them-would the husband lend his wife to him for night only in exchange of one million crisp,freshly printed,authentic,hard-earned bucks? Well..the proposal sounds a bit too over the top even for a cynical environment like Vegas or the U.S.,where people in need for money do much more humiliating things for much less(it's capitalism,baby!): on one hand her virtue as good wife will be compromised for good and she'll have to live with her guilt,on the other hand she will become in an instance one million richer for a job most women would do for free anyway-for the sheer pleasure of the "act" especially with someone like Redford,notice that the chemistry between them is mutual,Moore's character not even concealing it,in spite of her much loved husband.For Gage she is nothing but another pastime which comes quite affordable to him as he won and lost three,not one,millions while gambling,untroubled as if it was just spare change. What she doesn't know is that the business will have unwanted consequences for all the three of them,as it will soon turn out to be more than an issue of money. I think that John Gage resembles Gatsby-his elegant garments,his house seems just taken out of the 1974 version of Gatsby,his car,in spite of being a more contemporary model,is also yellow and a Rolls-Royce,just like Gatsby's,even his initials match J.G. being possible to stand for both John Gage and Jay Gatsby.He is even having an affair with a married woman,though Moore's character is not the spoiled Daisy,so doesn't actually have to impress her with luxury(even if he does it,being a true gentleman).Yet another,even more important similarity with Gatsby:he is extremely vulnerable,very lonely under his good-looking,elegant exterior,craving for affection and probably closeting a haunting mystery from his past,trying to make up both for his past and his solitude. Redford is credible in this part,even more credible than as Gatsby-he's either the cocky lover boy(but with moderation,not vulgar,just for en extra touch of thrills),either smart-ass and patronizing like the CEO of some multinational enterprise,handsome and sexy in a very narrow,conventional,American sense of the word,extremely good-looking and athletic yet lacking depth,inner beauty,charisma.Nevertheless I think that back in 1993,in spite of his age,most American women would have accepted Redford's proposal,not the character's if not acted by someone at least as good-looking as him,for free. However as the story twists and he discover that,besides physical attraction she is about to fall in love with him(and he also knows that their love is uncertain and would probably just make her suffer)he finds a very gentleman-like way to separate without hurting her,stating that she did't mean anything to him,that she's just one of the many women which he seduced using the same method,although this is untrue and he really loved her,not only desired her.By letting her go and try to rebuild her life with her less privileged husband,Gage,like Gatsby turns out right in the end.Unlike Gatsby,he doesn't pay with his life for believing in his ideal so much that he overlooks the real face of the loved woman,however he also has to face another sort of death-the death of his dream about the ideal,always longed for,seldomly accessible(yes,in spite of intercourse and humble background she is still inaccessible to him).Due to this romantic,even if somewhat corny outcome,and the sometimes more than conventional character Gage this film might be more than a typical,forgettable Tinseltown blockbuster.

Way over the top...

Author: Paul A. Cook (mipablito@aol.com)
22 October 2001

Come on! This movie is just hilarious.

As Jim Carrey would say....."was that Over the Top?....I can never tell".

What really got to me, was the scene were Woody goes into the betting hall, and he sees a thousand visions of Demi Moore, getting "ridden" by Robert Redford.....TOO MUCH.

I also LOVED the scene, when the dirty deed had been done, and she meets Woody back in the hotel suite, and he seemingly tries to "wipe off" Robert Redford from her lips.....TRULY HILARIOUS.

Doutbful premise but very good film

Author: Nicholas Rhodes from Ile-de-France / Paris Region, France
28 August 2006

In the case of this film, I make the difference between my own views on the moral issues involved and the quality of the film itself. Morally of course, it is all very reprehensible, you cannot sell your wife for a quick lay, even if there is a lot of money involved. I am sure this idea will have shocked 80 percent of the world, even though in the USA, and even worse in Europe, being unfaithful in a marriage is no longer considered a sin. Also, money is shown as opening the doors to everything, which is also morally wrong. Money is a tool which is supposed to enable people to live their daily lives but in excess it is obviously bad - just look at the whims of millionnaires ! The same may be applied to excesses of eating, drinking and smoking. Abuse all these and you will suffer! That apart, the film was actually very entertaining to watch. Notably, photography, lighting and music score were excellent. I am no particular fan either of Redford or of Demi Moore but both gave excellent performances. I was amazed by one or two plot inconsistencies ... we don't know whether Demi Moore left Redford because of the story he made up in the car or whether really she had second thoughts about her divorce proceedings. It is not clear. When she goes and sits on that misty jetty at the end, I found it an incredible coincidence that her husband just happened to be sitting there in the other seat on the same day at the same time. It just doesn't seem plausible and I supposed it was just put in to make the ending happy. That said, I like films with happy endings ... I don't like the cynics who want films to have sad endings under the pretext of it being more realistic. Its just a ploy to be different from other people which doesn't have any grounds. So I was most pleased by the ending, even if the artifice used to lead us to it seems a bit far-fetched. I am absolutely amazed to read in the comments here that " most women would sleep with Robert Redford for free, let alone a million dollars ". Who are these women ? The local gang of prostitutes ? Don't they have any self-respect, or is it just readers trying to be provocative ? I am shocked to hear this sort of thing, as if it was something banal, inevitable and to be expected. Robert REdford is just a man like anyone else. Why are people turning him into some kind of God ???? I have plenty of favorite and attractive actrices in the films I watch but I hadn't envisaged for one minute going to bed with them, either for a million dollars or for a bag of crisps!

Appalling, exploitative trash

Author: Andrew Gareth Billings from Cardiff, Wales
6 March 2000

All those who believe Edward Wood to be the worst film director of all time really ought to consider the career of Adrian Lyne after seeing this. As a psychological drama, it is dreadfully limp - I felt I knew nothing about the characters after seeing it. The high concept is all - it could have been an interesting idea, but in Lyne's hands, any moral issues are ultimately brushed aside in a brutally unconvincing attempt at a weepie. Visually, it's all television commercial stuff - empty gloss signifying nothing. At the end, I felt cheated, manipulated and dirty for sitting through this cheap and nasty rubbish.

Film that had couples asking the ? would you?

Author: goya-4 from PA USA
28 April 2001

Demi and Woody play a struggling married couple who go to Las Vegas on a gambling run and meet up with rich guy Redford who is so smitten with Demi(??) that he offers her $1 million for a night with her. Of course, the couple fights about it and the decision made doesn't help either.

A good movie, but nothing special. 6 of 10

The single worst movie I have ever seen

Author: Isak Robinson-Gilden (alexrg@mail.utexas.edu) from Austin, TX
4 August 1999

There is a group of five movies, all within one or two degrees of separation from one another, that I consider the five worst movies ever made. They are: Fatal Attraction, Disclosure, Showgirls, Basic Instinct, and the single greatest cinematic atrocity of all time, Indecent Proposal. Redford and Woody should be ashamed of themselves for appearing in this vapid, misogynist piece of excrement. On the other hand, Demi Moore, probably my least favorite actress of all time, is appropriately cast as the female lead. I don't think even the most gifted living writer would be capable of putting into words just how passionately I hate this movie. Long, boring, idiotic, and based on a non-issue (should a woman take a million dollars to sleep with Robert Redford?), Indecent Proposal represents everything I hate about Hollywood. And to top it off, all of the five movies listed above use racy content and an "R" rating to lure unsuspecting viewers into watching films that take an essentially puritan, prudish attitude towards sex and sexuality. Watch at your own risk. God, I hate this movie!

"Have I ever told you I love you?"

Author: Davis P from United States
13 June 2016

Indecent Proposal (1993) is not a great movie, but I think it deserves a 6. Demi Moore looks amazing in the movie, thanks goes the hair and makeup I suppose, and the costume designer. There's more to Demi than her looks though, her acting is good and she nails every scene with her intensity. Robert Redford was the perfect choice for his character, he really did fill it well. The plot requires intense and meaningful performances by all actors involved. Woody Harrelson is here too, playing David, Demi's husband of 7 years. He does well, not like academy award winning standard, but certainly not Razzie award winning. Now I just don't understand how the Razzie awards zeroed in on this film, I mean come on, get real. This movie certainly was NOT the worst picture of the year. No, it was not great. It did have time of boredom and some lazy sounding dialouge, and yes, I took off points for those things, but then you have to look at the movie overall, and overall, it is not bad. 6/10 for indecent proposal.

Page 6 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]