IMDb > Indecent Proposal (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 5 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

It's Like That Party Game

Author: Hitchcoc from United States
3 January 2017

The premise for this film reminded me of those party games...the ones where you need to answer a question that is controversial. For example, "Would you give up a year of your life to live the rest of it in total luxury?" This one, to a married couple, "Would you allow your partner to sleep with another person for a million dollars?" This is the stuff of parties, though. The fact that someone would have the means or the wish to make such an offer is quite unlikely. Redford is a gamer and so he goes ahead. The movie is about the answer to his proposal and the implications if the couple accepts. It's also a movie that probably has been discussed over and over in various settings. The acting is good (it's a good cast), but there is something so far fetched that I never bought into it.

Movie Review 'The Indecent Proposal'

Author: jackrayen from India
22 July 2011

I know its very very late. But after reading the garbage review done by this senseless, ignorant, self styled movie guru, I have to counter the view.

Ladies and Gentlemen this movie, in a very simple way scratch your conscience and ask you the same question. Will you swap your love for money. To make the subject more viable and presentable the director and story writer has taken their artistic liberty and hit our lowest animal instinct. The privilege of sex with our wife. Will you trade it for money? Countless women and men had this nightmare after watching the movie and this is the success of the director. He has succeeded in shaking us, opening our eyes to the materialistic world we are living in and shown us that how people can stoop so low to gain money. Now let us talk about the characterization. Mr Redford is a wealthy lonely man with supposedly golden heart. But like all wealthy man (read filthy rich) he likes to wield the power of money. He has already seen Ms Moor stealing candies, so being a very intelligent man (you don't imaging he achieved all that wealth without the power of judgement) he rightly judge that Ms Moor is more susceptible to money. And yet he is subtle. He plays his card perfectly. He shows his disregard to losing that large sum of money. Then borrow Ms Moor as the lucky mascot and allows her to play with one million dollar worth of markers. A little luck and he wins or rather she wins one million for him.

Now next step is to seduce her with money. So he present them one night in that luxurious hotel room. Off course she want more of this life. Thats the whole purpose of putting them in that luxury room. So when he offers one million dollar for one night stand, it is she who is dumbstruck, not the husband. It is she who prepare her husband to accept the offer. Remember what she said 'I don't want to do it. But I will do it for You.' Thats a women at her best. She wants to do it, but let us husband thinks that its a sacrifice she is willing to make so they can realize their dream.

No sir, she is the one who wants to do it. And Redford clearly sees that. He exploits this weak link and get what he wants. He shows her that he knows who made the decision and why. But again he is subtle. He covers the bitter pill with sugar. Any women will fall for such man who knows her but covers her faults. So she falls and falls deeply. It was not sex with a whore. She was the willing partner. You can see her approaching for Redford's lips. She wants it, because now she knows the luxury and wants to be a part of it.(remember he has flown her to his yatch, and not the hotel bed).

In the end the director mercifully reunites the husband and wife because thats the moral a good story must have. Marriage is the fiber of society which binds us together. The director didn't show the 99.9% reality and taken the moral stand, and I thank him for this.

And don't forget to look in the eyes of Redford. He says so much with his eyes. He is not a bad man. He just shows a greedy outspoken women who pretends and declare that she cant be bought where she is dying to be bought.

Money vs love

Author: Michael Papalabrou (nautilus_gr)
11 May 2002

Even though the main story is about something that is not very likely to happen, this film has a strange way to approach real life and bring it so realistic to the screen. What we see in the film is the everyday life of a couple that has to work in order to live. And they do, and they are happy, until the day they experience an 'earthquake' in their relationship. The earthquake is Robert Redford's indecent proposal.

Apart from bringing in an incredibly realistic way the dilemma they have in front of them, the film also shows many ways in which a person can express love to another person; it can be done by fighting, by talking, by understanding, by appreciating, by thinking. But, what about money; and, especially when we are talking about people who live without lots of it.

When you see this film and the story ends, you will find yourself thinking. I cannot predict what you'll be thinking, but I am sure that after you see the end of the film, you'll think about it for some time.

Don't sleep with anyone for money.

Author: Robbert Edelman (robbert_edelman@hotmail.com) from Nieuwegein, the Netherlands
30 March 2000

This movie sends us a strong message. It tells us not to sleep with anyone for money. Don't ever value money over love. And don't think you can just have sex without feeling something. Sex is about feeling love. No wonder it is called "making love". Love feeds passion and passion feeds love. There is a truth in that, and if you don't feel it, you may be missing something. If your relationship is strong enough it will overcome problems like almost losing your house. It will also overcome a mistake like this. But never think you can ignore what has happened and just not talk about it. People have memories and things like that will stick.

Excellent acting, good story.

stirs thought

Author: karma-20 from Sydney, Australia
18 December 1999

WARNING: knowing me, this comment will probably contain some spoilers!!

I first viewed this film when I was about 12 and I remember thinking that this was the first movie that I had viewed which made me think, long and hard. Of course about whether or not I would've sold my body had I been in the same circumstances, but it made me think more of the 'love' thing between the married couple and the ending. Needless to say, I was very surprised at the ending because I was young and naieve and didn't read between the lines.

I saw this film again recently. This time, I thought the ending was more inevitable. I really like this film because it stirs thought and conversation. I think many people dislike this film not because of the acting or an actual fault in the movie itself, but more of the actions that Demi Moore take in sleeping with Robert Redford. I think people view this film ethically and dislike it because of their ethical stance and not because the film itself was made poorly.

Even now, after 4 years since first seeing this film, I still wouldn't have an answer to Robert Redford's million dollar question. Not a truthful one anyway. I would like to think that I had the self-dignity and self-respect to not let anyone 'purchase' me like that but in all honesty, I really don't know. It's one of those questions where there are no correct answers and there won't be any winners. By sleeping with the man, you lose your self-worth and your dignity (especially in a marriage). By not sleeping with him, you would most probably resent it later on and may have thought that you should have.

This really isn't much of a review, but I think this is a film that everyone should see. The question is not whether you like it or not, it's whether you would or not.

A film suitable - only - for those capable of true love

Author: ohhnoo from United Kingdom
16 March 2015

You don't have to be in a relationship to watch this film, you don't even have to have been in love to watch it! This is a film about what love is capable of doing to you.

But to truly watch and enjoy this film, you must be a believer of 'True Love', the fairy tale kinda love. If however, your of the 'love em and leave em' kind, or if your a 'I've had many relationships that last months/years, and when it ends, it doesn't really bother me' kinda person, then you might wanna watch something else.

The film isn't really about the money either, which could be a million or a billion, or maybe only a few hundred. How desperate you are is relative. What matters is your reason for accepting/refusing. How much do you love yourself, would you 'allow' them and still want to be with them? How much do you love your partner & could you forgive them? If you agree, can things ever return to the 'fairy tale' you had before? If you want/allow them to accept, can you risk losing them to the person paying money? After all, if you believe in fairy tale love, a night with a handsome stranger should be enough to ignite the flame of both passion and love in both parties, whilst your on the side-lines?

This film isn't about a one night stand! Its about your emotional attachment to your partner, and your future wants and desires, and what life might bring in the future for you both.

This film is a true 1990's masterpiece. The music of Sade sets the tone perfectly! It will take you on a roller-coaster of emotions, and leave you asking yourself, and your partner; "would I, would you, would we"?

I don't understand the score this film has (5, really!) but I suspect its too many people focusing on the money, not being able to fully comprehend the feelings/love, but I give it a 9! It would have been a 10, but I just can't believe in the ending, but you might!

Can love be bought? Perhaps if you're a billionaire looking like Redford

Author: jeanne lee from Singapore
14 April 2008

I've read a comment about how this movie is so unrealistic and everything, but I think the situation is entirely probable. Perhaps not in the exact events, but the idea of someone richer offering something a current partner cannot offer; when love is tested by the lure of greater comfort in luxury.

What I love about this movie, is that it explores the naiveness of the love between Diane and David, but also the strength of true love. On top of that, the moral relationship between love and money, and how the doubts and demons we have inside, can push a perfectly established relationship away.

Yes Diane may have ended up with Mr Billionaire for a while, looking quite happy, but the happiness that Diane and David and shared, which can be seen in the movie, it cannot be recreated with someone else, though who is to say that you cannot be happy with someone else, given life's comforts and a relatively good looking man to boot. (John was also suavely persistent.) John commented at the near end of the movie, "she never would have looked at me the way she looked at him.". This shows that you can buy happiness but not love.

Though through it all, Diane returns to David, with nothing, no more millions but their love is so much more enriched. This is the general idea of how marriage/relationships in real life is like, that is not all smooth and a bed of roses. There are always thorns and to get past them, is summarized in what David said to Diane before signing their divorce papers, "when people stay together, it's not that they forget, is that they forgive." If you're lovers, this movie definitely shows you that as much as you love one another, you must never jeopardize the longevity of your relationship, thinking your love is invincible.

If you're working your way to be like John, the billionaire, you better snag a single woman fast before you end up lonely and single end of the day.

Spoiler s wanted

Author: hockeylife1984 from United States
8 April 2006

okay so i am watching this movie on TV and its a good movie and then i get to the end(i think) when woody is getting in Robert's face in the rain storm and then the TV just cuts off and i cant getting it to work so could someone please let me know if woody and Moore get back together or does the Jerk Robert get Moore let me know that would be great

so i really liked this movie even for being a girl movie and i normally don't watch romance movies i really don't feel like this movie is very realistic. i do not feel like married people would ever ever do this kind of thing unless they are swingers and thats a very very mutual thing were both of the people in the realationship are present

The Salacious Sundance Kid Wants A Piece Of It

Author: Eye-on-the-pie-in-the-sky from Seattle, WA
15 August 2005

At once admirable and a gorgeous piece of trash is Adrian Lyne's "Indecent Proposal" (1993). Can I get an "amen" for affirming that Mr. Lyne is one of the best purveyors of cinematic relationship-angst? Indeed, his "Fatal Attraction" (1987) is one of the most horrifying and entertaining movies I've ever seen.

David and Diana Murphy (Woody Harrelson and Demi Moore respectively…obviously) are relatively new to matrimony but are deliriously happy and have big plans for their future. David is an adept architect looking to complete his and his wife's dream house in Santa Monica. Diana is a realtor who pays the bills until the dream is fulfilled. Everything is going great: the blueprints and models have been constructed, the land bought and, of course, the California sun is perpetually shining through the smoggy haze. And then, fate deals them a moral and ethical blow. What leads up to this is an economic recession in which Diana cannot sell a single piece of property and their current assets are in danger of being liquidated. In a spontaneous, desperate measure they both go to Sin City and attempt to raise enough money in order to keep their property and dream alive. They do good for the first night: they brought their original $5000 to $25,000 and celebrate the way all gambling couples do by converting that $25,000 into hard currency, throwing it on a Hilton bed and moistly copulating on and around it. It was quite poetically philosophical in evoking the notion that money has become the apotheosis of sexual lubricant.

John Gage (Robert Redford) is a filthy rich womanizer who gets off playing high-stakes blackjack and buying the unbuyable. He encounters the babealicious Diana and immediately realizes that he has something new to distract himself with. Through a complicated series of events he makes the titular offer by exchanging one night with Diana for one million dollars. Quite instinctively, the couple are horrified and indignant. However, later that evening, Diana says that it would only be her body and not her mind or spirit that Gage will have. After debating they agree to the proposal and so forth the conspicuous and financed affair goes.

Afterward (did they…you know, do it?) Diana comes back and they both think that this is something that can be put behind them as long as they never talk about it. Well, David just can't live with that as a little time goes by (could you?) and absolutely insists on finding out what happened that fateful evening. Diana eventually caves and says that there was sex and that it was fantastic. This doesn't mean that she doesn't love David anymore but David takes this a sign that she doesn't love him anymore anyway (men are from Mars, after all). There's a fallout, divorce papers and a bona-fide relationship that begins to develop between Diana and John (he pursues, she relents, the cheetah gets the zebra). Yet after all this we get the super-duper mega happy ending.

The ending aside we get some interesting subtleties throughout the film. John Gage is urbane to the Wayne Newton degree and the couple couldn't be less disingenuous and self-righteous than the Republican Party. There is a great deal of flirtation and insinuation that is truly riveting and, at times, quite plausible. However, if this were real life, there's NO WAY the two would be as ultimately conciliatory as they come to be by the end of the film. Call me provincial but, in my eyes, the marriage covenant is inviolable and incapable of repair after such a devastating blow.

Can I say overrated?

Author: coza_usa from New Jersey
13 July 2003

The main characters are really not believable.

Robert Redford plays the cliche calm and suave tycoon who gets what he wants including women. The only difference here is that somehow his character has genuine feelings about love. Whatever!!!

Woody Harrelson's portrayal of a loving husband who is willing to give his wife to some rich jackass (Robert Redford) for one night only to moments later utterly regret that decision is a joke.

SPOILER I can say Demi Moore's character is the worst. How the hell does she manage to fall for the guy (Redford) who turned her into a prostitute? Is this where the male director and male writer play out their fantasy?

Page 5 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]