IMDb > Indecent Proposal (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Money Cant Buy You Love

Author: nakia (reelzworld@gmail.com)
1 October 2013

Indecent proposal is the type of film that makes you look within when it comes to your current or past relationship. I think this film is one of the best for roles I have seen both Demi Moore and Woody Harrelson featured in. There is nothing like a good romantic film that makes you think long after the movie is finished. The plot of this film is one that we all can relate to. Two high school sweethearts who face struggles go to Vegas to bet in all in hopes of financial freedom. Although they lost it all they are approached by a billionaire who offers one night with David's (Woody) wife (Demi) in exchange for one million dollars.

This film uses many themes throughout such as human relationships. Any person willing to offer money for sex with another mans wife clearly is suffering from human relationship problems. Morals are also put to the test not only for David and Diana relationship. But also for John (Robert Redford) who plays the role of the billionaire. All three major actors and actress are placed in hard decision, which test their morals. While lying in the bed David and Diana discuss rather or not take up John on his offer. At that point you notice how the lighting changes dim and dark. As if this begins the start of darkness for the high school sweethearts.

In 2009 there was film released by the name of The Box this two film are filmier because of the choices that have to be made based off of love and the finically status of a relationship. If you have seen Indecent Proposal then you will absolutely love The Box. I would like to end by saying although Diana and David marriage was put to the test one theme that tells the truth about this couple is coming of age. No matter what good or bad times two people who truly love each other can overcome all things. And always remember money cannot buy you or anyone love.

Romantic film for the girls

Author: kaylznmartin from United Kingdom
4 July 2011

I watched this film recently having heard people talk about it for years. I warmed to both Woody Harrelson and Demi Moore's characters immediately and thought there love for each other came across as beautiful on screen.

I think the casting for Robert Redford's character was perfect, unlike many other people. If the John Gage character was played by a unattractive, mean guy then David Murphy (woody) would have no need to feel jealous about the night his wife spent with the billionaire. The reason David felt jealous as he explains at the end is because he can see how successful, good looking and charming John Gage is and he was worried his wife would fall in love with him. He was also riddled with his own insecurities and failings and believed his wife deserved a man like Gage.

Although he came across as a bit of a sleaze ball in the beginning, watching Diana Murphy (demi) across the casino gambling with her husband in the end it showed he was a lonely man looking for companionship. He lives in a world where everything can be bought and he was proved right when Diana and David agreed to his proposal.

However when David visited Diana at the end to sign the divorce papers, although John Gage did not feel sorry for David he simply knew Diana would never love him the way she loved David and so knew he could not buy her love.

Overall a very romantic film about a young couple, so deeply in love that they believe they can cope with the 1million proposal when in reality jealousy is a strong emotion which in the end tears them apart. However in true Hollywood fashion, love conquers all and the couple reunite at the end.

A lesson learned also that money does not buy happiness and although the couple were in serious debt, they had each other and not the complications of a third man.

Loved the film and shed a tear at the end on the pier :)

One of my favorite movies ever!

Author: degirmentzi from Greece
1 May 2011

I loved this movie! I've watched it over ten times and I never get bored to hearing to the "Have I ever told you I love you" dialog.

True love can win. True love is forever. That's what this movie is about. A "must see" for everybody.

From the first minute of the movie, until the very end you struggle along with the couple. Demi Moore and Woody Harrelson are excellent. Not to mention Robert Redford. This role of the billionaire really suits him! To sum up, I think everybody should watch this movie, at least once!

-Have I ever told you I love you? -No. -I love you. -Still? -Always...

It is painful to see it under-rated!

Author: rezaul_nsu from Bangladesh
2 March 2010

I easily forget movie names, but not this movie ever, as it might go to my instinct. Whenever I want to remember romantic movies, this movie comes to my mind after 'Casablanca'.

Anybody searching romantic and emotional movies should never miss 'Indecent Proposal'. The dialogues are written very beautifully, as this story is from a novel. The most positive side of this movie is that it creates romantic emotions to viewer's minds. The world is going towards artificial things and we are forgetting true love. This movie beautifully shows that true love is not purchasable and it should not be sacrificed for anything else.

Personally, I do not watch twice a movie because it seems to me that second time watching of a movie might lessen my first feeling of watching. But, it seems to me that I cannot help watching this movie twice!

The Best Romantic Movie

Author: haim001 from Israel
18 August 2006

**SPOILER WARNING, ABOUT THE FIRST 30 HOUR OF THE MOVIE.**

Its the first movie that I've cried in... this movie is so awesome!!! if you haven't saw it you must see the movie!

I've never thought about something like giving my girlfriend for one night to some million dollars... and if I had some option like that I think me and my girlfriend had took it. But after this movie, ill never do it. in the movie there are couple of friends, that love very much each other, and then some rich man offering them 1 million dollar for one night with the woman. and than the movie starts, amazing heart breaking and more, you got to see the movie. amazing movie, sad & funny, and its gave me a feeling of Love to the movie.

you must see it. I gave it 10 RATE

Good premise, poor execution.

Author: Da reel Nick Carter
4 April 2002

This film has a premise that is good enough to get anyone talking, and a sure-fire conversation starter. 'Would you sleep with someone you dislike or don't know for one million dollars?' While the film had lots of potential, poor execution turns it into a b-grade soap-opera. The film has a great lead up, and after the proposal is made, we are really into the film, but then it falls dramatically. The last 3 quarters of the film is spent by characters whinging, complaining and regretting what they have done! The ending was so cliched it had me in tears! This has a very similar premise to 'honeymoon in vegas' which is far better. See that instead.

Don't Sell this one short until you Understand the reasoning.....

Author: Robert Esposito from United States
27 January 2006

Keeping personal views out of comments are what objectively reviewing a film is all about. I have to say this film is one that can pull at heart strings if you can immerse yourself in the emotion of what is actually happening. The film's premise is Love versus Money. The plot of the film is set to slowly pull you into the characters' who are presented with the temptation of the choice. Woody Harrelson really pulls off a serious character in this one. Having taken the deal from John Gage (Robert Redford) to give away his wife for one night in return for a Million dollars, Harrelson realizes too late that the choice he has made would damage the relationship beyond repair. Let me say this, watching Harrelson run to the closed door once he realizes what he has done is a powerful scene if you can put yourself in the situation. As the movie progresses it does a wonderful job of making the viewer have a hard time hating Redford's character. At times the viewer is convinced that Moore's character belongs with Redford. The movie then switches to Harrelson's character that is devastated and living on his own coping with the loss. As Moore's Character is seduced by Redford, Harrelson slips slowly into depression. Once again, the movie gives the viewer a chance to experience many different emotions. John Barry's Concerto playing throughout this movie really adds to the somber mood. A wonderful placement of this music as the characters slowly move towards the movie's end. Some good acting by all here is evident. Do not sell this movie short because on the outside it seems to be choppy. It was meant to put the viewer in all situations the characters are in. I recommend this one to anyone who is a hopeless romantic.

Best Scene: There are many…One that comes to mind is Harrelson's character reflecting on the relationship with Moore as he sits alone in his empty apartment with his dog by his side.

Would you pay for her?

Author: Predrag (pzivojinovic@yahoo.com) from Serbia
9 May 2016

What would you do if you and your partner, who you loved dearly were in some financial difficulty and in order to alleviate your difficult circumstances a stranger offered you one million for one night with you? What would you and your partner do? Would you immediately dismiss the proposal, regarding it as preposterous? Would you accept basing your argument on it being only a one-night stand and therefore meaningless? Would you do it for the much-needed money? Or would you refuse saying that money cannot buy love and that such an act would reduce you to the likes of a prostitute?

Confused? Well that is exactly the complex story this film weaves excellently. With a thought-provoking script that manages to challenge our every day perceptions of love and money and the depths we'd go to achieve them, along with some seriously moving moments guaranteed to shed a few tears from the female members of the audience and even managing to throw in a few comic moments this film is something special. A moral dilemma and it's repercussions on relationships and lives is played out with strong performances from the leads. Gripping, heartbreaking, entertaining and thought provoking, this offers a lot more than much of the 'fluff' produced today.

Overall rating: 8 out of 10.

Interesting film

Author: norakecer from France
31 May 2010

Indecent proposal is an interesting film maybe no the best but still a very good film. First of all, unlike mentioned in some reviews I don't think Robert Redford was miscast because according to some reviewers that he was too handsome for the role so any woman would sleep with him anyway even for free. The interesting thing for me : Yes Robert Redford is devastatingly handsome even aged in his fifties in this film but Diana and David are very much in love but totally broke and they need the money desperately.

Why it is interesting ? because I think that Robert Redford as John Gage should be able to have all the women he wants without paying anything - The main point is that John GAGE wants Diana and no one else : something clicked inside him when he first saw her in the shop.It was not only a sexual attraction but also a strong feeling for her. The fact that he is handsome is interesting because you feel at the beginning of the film that David could be jealous of John Gage not only because of his money but also because of Gage's looks and great presence. David is aware of that and I believe is worried that Diana could be attracted to him as well from a romantic point of view. And he's right because Diana is attracted to John GAGE maybe not consciously at the beginning but she is later in the film when she realizes that he is a real gentle man looking for love. Actually she would like to hate him but she can't.

That's why it is hard for Diana to talk about her fateful night with . John Gage when David asked her. If John Gage was portrayed as a bad-looking,rough guy, it might have been much easier for Diana to do it for money no risk then to feel attracted to the guy or to fall in love with him because it would be just sex and - that's all -no feelings involved.

No risks at all so no interests, no suspense in the film.The film wouldn't be as interesting as it is. As for John GAGE,we know that he wanted to prove to David and Diana that everything could be bought, even people but he also realizes that feelings cannot be bought as he wanted Diana to love him like she loves David. It's an interesting film from different point of views.

Really good movie

Author: Debashish Kumar from Australia
8 September 2008

Have I watched a different movie? I am really shocked to see such a good movie get only 5.3 stars. Plot? Good Acting? Good Direction? Good

The conflict in the minds of both the D's is shown very well.The night they cant sleep, they talk about it, they try to justify it because they know that it will take all their troubles away. It was very important that their financial crises was shown properly otherwise neither would have considered the deal. And it was. Maybe the lines "Did I ever tell you I love you......" are a little cheesy, but every couple has some...and they had theirs. The criticism I have read is rather empty. You can't rate a movie bad just because it's depressing. Did The Godfather get you all pumped up to join the mafia or what? Some people are cursing the billionaire. It couldn't be clearer that he DID care for her. He cared for her enough to barge into her class, to get her to show him some properties,cared for her enough to let her go (maybe the reason was also partially selfish, still) all he wanted was a chance. Being a billionaire and someone who is used to getting what he wants, he made the "Indecent Proposal" and pursued her till she gave into him. People are saying that there's no message in the movie. The simplest message was that when you marry someone, you promise to take care of them. D failed to do that and left a big scar on his marriage. But because their love was true, she came back to him."If you let go off of something and it never comes back to you, then it was never truly yours to begin with "...(or something like that)...

Page 3 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]