IMDb > In the Name of the Father (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
In the Name of the Father

In the Name of the Father More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 16: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Another stunner about survival of the spirit

Author: Cincy from Cincinnati, Ohio USA
12 September 1998

Watching this movie, I was constantly and sadly reminded of the US' own issues re: treatment of black suspects in the past. Echoes of other prison -survival movies appear as well. I recommend watching this film, for the insight into the "Irish troubles" as well as the superb performances.

An Involving, Sometimes Brutal Story

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
10 October 2006

I might have rated this higher had Emma Thompson had a bigger role. I am a fan of hers, plus I think most people would agree she's an excellent actress, so it was disappointment to see her appear much until the last 15 minutes of the film. That's especially misleading when she gets second or third billing in this movie.

Nonetheless, it's an involving true-story of an Irishman, his dad and some of their relatives who are all sent to prison for a bombing they had nothing to do with. Filmmakers LOVE these kind of stories in which they can make their country and police into the bad guys. Here, the British look bad - very bad - as they railroad "Gerry Conlon" (Daniel-Day Lewis). The latter makes a convincing hot-headed Irishman, but he's no killer. The tone of the movie softens not in the last half hour as Lewis' character begins to appreciate his father. Until then, it's a rough film that is not always easy to watch and hear because of the accents, some police brutality and corruptness and general group of nasty characters.

By the way, despite the billing, Pete Postlewaite is the second star of the film. He doesn't get the recognition he deserves for his acting contribution in this movie.

Bland but not terribly so

Author: Josh Conradson from Sedro-Woolley, Washington, USA!
19 October 2015

This movie was not quiet terrible enough to earn a score below 6 but honestly was not anywhere near good enough to earn anything better. I feel that Daniel Day-Lewis seemed to be forcing each line out and was not portraying the character to its fullest extant. I also feel the director pushed too hard for the audience to be sympathetic towards Gerry Conlon and spent more time telling about his torture then on his time trying to secure his freedom. Then the death of his father, Giuseppe you feel as though he didn't care and that the inmates cared more about him then Gerry did. Then in the end you see that the ones responsible never were charged with the bombing and that the police who chorused the confessions didn't have to face any kind of consequences for their actions.

Veritable Fallacies

Author: annie ferris from United States
19 June 2014

John Forbes Nash Jr. (Russell Crowe), a brilliant young mathematician and recipient of the prestigious Carnegie Scholarship at Princeton, finds himself at a loss while searching for a truly original idea to be published. With the unwitting help of his roommate Charles, several classmates, and a stranger at the pub, he stumbles onto a new theory of governing dynamics that ultimately earns him a place in history. He soon goes to work for Wheeler Defense Labs where he becomes a code breaker for the U.S. Government as well as a professor. Through his work, John meets his wife Alicia (Jennifer Connelly), and U.S. Department of Defense agent William Parcher (Ed Harris), who both prove to be very influential in many different ways. As he tries to find his way on a path to recognition, he finds himself struggling with a much stronger force than intelligence . . . schizophrenia.

John Nash spent most of his life in a lonely state of superiority. His quest for a truly original idea and his overwhelming feeling of failure when he can't seem to find it show that he valued his intellect above all else. When he finds that he can no longer trust his own mind, the mind that served as his only friend for a great portion of his life, we as an audience become as confused and devastated as he was. Director Ron Howard brings the viewers into his world, into his state of confusion, to shed light onto the lesson he learned. Yes, John Nash was exceptionally intelligent, but he was also fragile in a very humbling way. Because of this, he came to hold humanity and love in a very dear little place in his once cold, blindly driven heart.

I appreciate and almost envy that heart-breaking learning process. I feel myself falling, growing, smashing, and squishing my way through a distantly related struggle towards contentment. I can connect with his desire for greatness, his ultimate descent back down to earth, and the feeling of peace that followed. This film has shown me that we will never live up to our own expectations, but we can achieve a much more remarkable form of greatness by accepting our fallibility.

Well worth seeing...but I'd sure love to see a follow-up

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
27 August 2013

I am not British nor am I Irish. And, as far as 'the troubles' go, I don't have a very strong opinion one way or another. A lot of crazy stuff went on for so long and there's so much guilt, it's hard to take a side--though I sure hate the idea of terrorism. So, I am not a person with a dog in the fight, so to speak. I just thought I'd mention this so you don't think I had a particular stake in the film.

The film is the story of Gerry Conlon, though it also affected his father, the rest of his family and some friends. Back during the heyday of IRA terrorism in the 1970s, the British were obviously very frustrated and were willing to go to some extreme methods to stop it--even if it meant suspending traditional constitutional rights. This is understandable but troubling. But what goes WAY beyond troubling were the methods used by the prosecutors and police to convict a group of people for a bombing--even when it turned out that they knew that the people were probably innocent! The film is essentially a showcase for Daniel Day-Lewis to show off his acting skills. However, the film also had lovely direction and was a first-class project all around. Well worth seeing--and there's a good chance this film might make you feel a little mad.

Powerful Performances!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
14 March 2013

If you ever wanted a tutorial on perfect acting, In the Name of the Father is the perfect film to turn to. This is a very powerful film that features perhaps some of the best acting of the 1990's. This is a film, although somewhat historically inaccurate, will make viewers weep at times and cheer for the characters at other times. I have rarely seen a movie so powerful and uplifting but heart-wrenching as well.

Jim Sheridan's film is about the Guilford Four and how they were wrongfully implicated by the British for an IRA bombing. The supposed leader, Gerry Conlon is sent to life in prison and is joined by his father. Together, for the next fifteen years, they do what they can to prove they're innocent and gain their freedom.

Daniel-Day Lewis. Just reading that name aloud gives me goosebumps. He is the greatest actor of our generation if not the best of all time. He gives another masterful performance as Gerry Conlon. He is truly the best method actor I have ever seen. Pete Postlethwaite gives the strongest performance of his career as Gerry's caring but stern father. Emma Thompson doesn't have much screen time until the end but her screen time is well worth the wait.

Overall, this is one of the best films of a decade that features some of the best film-making in cinema history. I'm glad to say this film would have joined their ranks. Even the most stern grouch would be in tears at the end of the film. I feel bad that Daniel did not take home the Oscar for the film even though Tom Hanks deserves it for his performance in Philadelphia. I rate this film 10/10.

a fantastic film ultimately depicting why the death penalty is wrong

Author: johncmyers from United Kingdom
25 July 2006

This film is not backwards in coming forwards politically, and quite rightly so. Had the death penalty been available, or the lawyers had sen fit to charge under the antiquated treason laws, the defendants would have been hanged - innocent blood on the hands of the British justice system. As a young man I remember well the tabloid publicity and rantings against the defendants - one lone journalist and belief in themselves as innocents led to justice for these poor people. NEVER LET THIS HAPPEN AGAIN, FREE THE INNOCENT!

As for the film - superb performances, Pete Postlethwaite is brilliant, and this is Daniel Day-Lewis' best role ever. Just brilliant. (Well worth a visit to the jail in Dublin where many of the prison scenes were filmed - Kilmainham jail)

This is an amazing movie

Author: Melissa Young (melbykins11) from United States
28 December 2005

This is one of the most powerful movies I have ever seen. I felt so sorry for the people who were imprisoned: they hadn't done anything wrong but were in the wrong place at the wrong time. The acting is superb too; Daniel Day-Lewis is amazing. You feel so much for the characters in this movie that it's almost impossible to forget them. I can't even imagine what they went through being wrongfully imprisoned, and I don't think anyone can. The soundtrack is phenomenal for this movie: I purchased it and it still haunts me when I listen to it. It's a shame that many people don't know about this movie. I would seriously suggest renting this movie; you won't regret it.

A true memorable story of injustice

Author: liem dao from Australia
22 October 2005

Jim Sheridan made the movie "In the Name of the Father" based on the autobiography "Proved innocent" by Gerry Conlon. In the Name of the Father displayed the true story of the "Guildford Four" and retells there miraculous journey to freedom. The movie displays the process of innocent average Irishmen wrongfully accused for bombing a pub in Guildford.

A bombing occurred on October 5th, 1974 in a Guildford pub in England. The head of the police force Robert Dixon (Corin Redgrave) arrested the accused bombers Gerry Conlon (Daniel Day-Lewis) and Paul Hill (John Lynch). Gerry's father, Giuseppe (Pete Postlethwaite) helps Gerry find a lawyer but then gets charged for participating in the bombings.

Gerry and Paul were sentenced to life in prison because there was insufficient evidence for them to be hung. The only chance for them to be set free was through a lawyer named Gareth Peirce (Emma Thompson) who attempts to set them free by gathering scraps of evidence.

The movie showed the actual story of the "Guildford Four" in many views. Jim Sheridan displayed views from Robert Dixon under public pressure, injustice towards the "Guildford Four" and also Jim Sheridan showed the development of Gerry and Giuseppe's father and son relationship. The development was shown clearly because at first Gerry and Giuseppe had a weak relationship but they then discovered they could connect and formed a closer bond.

Gerry Conlon and Giuseppe form a great duo as father and son and perform a very convincing relationship. Many movies lack the actors to play a true father and son relationship but Daniel and Pete play it with perfection. Another memorable performance was by Corin Redgrave who played a firm and sly policeman determined to put the case away.

The camera angles and shots of the movie were remarkable in presenting the scenes. When there was a riot in the beginning of the film, the camera used was hand held so that made you feel you were there. The lighting and music was very significant in the film by choosing the right colour and sounds to help set the mood to express the scene. Certain scenes such as depressing or dim scenes were shown with a dark blue colour and sad touching orchestra hymns to set the mood.

The film In the Name of the Father successfully portrays the true story of the "Guildford Four" from different perspectives. Jim Sheridan accurately displays the events that lead to the freedom of the "Guildford Four". During their journey to freedom, the development of the father and son relationship is shown and society's views on the events that occur. The movie is based around injustice and proves to be a memorable movie which will be remembered by all.

"I'm a free man, and I'm walking out the front door!" - Gerry Conlon

Author: Michael Margetis (pmargetis@cox.net) from United States
4 September 2005

Director Jim Sheridan and actor Daniel Day-Lewis' follow-up to 'My Left Foot' entitled 'In the Name of the Father' may move a little slow but most of the time in succeeds in being both heart-wrenching and inspiring. It's a very political film based on the true story of an small-time Irish hoodlum Gerry Conlon (Day-Lewis), his hippie friends, his relatives and his father being falsely convicted of London/Ireland IRA bombings. The film follows Gerry in prison and his fight to get him and his family out. Daniel Day-Lewis gives an incredible performance, while Pete Postelwaithe who plays his father is amazing in every scene. Emma Thompson is good for her very limited screen time as Gerry's lawyer and you should look out for a bit part played by Oscar Nominee Tom Wilkinson (In the Bedroom) towards the end. 'In the Name of the Father' was nominated for seven Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Director - Jim Sheridan, Best Actor in a Leading Role - Daniel Day-Lewis, Best Actor in a Supporting Role - Pete Postlewaithe, Best Actress in a Supporting Role - Emma Thompson and Best Adapted Screenplay. If you don't mind some of sagging parts of the film and want to shed a tear or two, be sure to add 'In the Name of the Father' to your 'to-rent' list. Grade: B