IMDb > In the Name of the Father (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
In the Name of the Father

In the Name of the Father More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Courtroom Classic

Author: Thomas Drufke
16 September 2015

Courtroom drama's are always prime for great cinema. In the Name of the Father is no different. It shouldn't come as any surprise with Daniel Day-Lewis as the lead, and he is incredible as Gerry Conlon, a wrongfully convicted terrorist in 1970's London. I have to admit I didn't know much about the bombings upon viewing, so this whole story came as a shock to me. But the film is a really good eye opener and reminder that no one is guilty until proved innocent, and then some.

Pete Postlethwaite and Emma Thompson were both nominated for supporting roles and they really do carry this film. I would almost say more so than Day-Lewis. I knew he would give a killer performance but i didn't know the other two had this in them, especially Postlethwaite. The film also closely deals with the relationship between Gerry and his father. The many ups and downs they go through as a result of being in a jail for so many years. Gerry is a scoundrel at best towards the beginning. They show him stealing right off the bat to give us the impression that this may be a character you may not be able to trust. In fact, I wasn't even sure if I could trust him up until he was being beaten by the detectives to sign the confession.

I will say I wasn't a huge fan of the direction to begin the film. Jim Sheridan had a knack for choppy directing early on that was hard to follow. But once the film settles in and gets going as a true courtroom genre, the film takes off. I also like that the film tackles the issue of non-violent vs. violent protests and tactics in a fair way. It isn't clear to me that the filmmakers believe one way or the other is the way to go. And I think that's the right way to go about it.

+All the performances

+Tension built in the court

-Choppy directing to start

8.4/10

The great Daniel

Author: Hilali15 from Saudi Arabia
16 June 2015

Brilliantly written, Perfectly casted! Let's not talk about the movie and focus on the amazing acting of Daniel day Louis. I strongly believe that he is the best living actor. His Irish accent on this movie makes you swear he is an Irish man! Actually, his insane method of acting lead to the 5 Oscar nominees. loved how he amazingly play the role. I truly recommend everyone to watch this movie and all Daniel's movies, to see how the real acting should be! In my opinion, The best scene of this movie was the interrogation scene where he been under a lot of pressure. This scene reflect how emotions toward his father he hold! Finally, Daniel Day Lewis movies deserve watching!

History and Court Drama

Author: gavin6942 from United States
9 April 2015

A man (Daniel Day-Lewis)'s coerced confession to an IRA bombing he did not commit results in the imprisonment of his father as well. An English lawyer fights to free them.

This film is a great combination of history and court drama. Sometimes both mix very nicely (as with the Nuremberg trial) and sometimes they do not. Here, we get a nice glimpse at the IRA in Ireland without dwelling on it too much and also get the true story of a family that was wronged by the state for their alleged involvement in terror.

Ireland today is not the same place it was a generation ago, but it is not so far removed that this story is "distant history" and not important. Heck, Americans should probably know more about it than what they pick up from a U2 song.

Everything for truth...

Author: Thanos Alfie from Greece
1 March 2015

"In the Name of the Father" is a drama movie which is based on true events about a man who coerced confession about a bomb of an IRA bombing, but he did not do it. This had as a result the imprisonment of him and his father and also some other friends of him. An English lawyer fights to free them all and does whatever is possible to succeed this.

I really liked this movie because it is based on true events and as a result I liked the plot of it. I also liked this movie because it shows the fight of man for the truth and what he has to do in order to be able to succeed this. What difficulties has to surpass and what emotions feel about these situations that he lives in. Daniel Day-Lewis who played as Gerry Conlon was simply outstanding in his role for one more time. In addition to this it has to being mentioned the interpretation of Pete Postlethwaite who played as the father of Gerry Conlon, Giuseppe Conlon and I believe that his interpretation gave a different view for everyone who watch this movie.

Finally I have to say that "In the Name of the Father" is a must see movie and I strongly recommend it to everyone to watch. When you watch this movie I am sure that you will understand many things such the true meaning of a fight and what a person has to do not only for himself but also for his family, his friends and all the other world.

Underrated

Author: Rovshan Gasimov from Azerbaijan and United Kingdom
21 February 2015

I have read many reviews before i watched the movie. After i finished it seemed like English people don't like this movie too much. At some point i understand them, but most of them tried to bring some historical "facts" and rumours to damage this movie. There were some others who was trying to catch some mistakes in the movie. The were saying things that doesn't change anything really, for instance: It doesn't really matter where Gerry and Hill met, it doesn't matter if they were at some time in some groups or how they have become the suspects. These things doesn't change the whole idea, but when you sometimes make movies you just have to make some changes.

There were some other people who was trying to state they were not innocent, they did some other things, robbery and so on. They are wrong too, it doesn't matter what else they did in any other place. This movie is focusing on Guildford Bombing, this movie is focusing on people who ere jailed that have nothing to do with that bombing. So, they were innocent in this case. The stayed in prison for 15 years. That is very unfair and the such an embarrassing story for England. I am sorry, but it is.

For my point of view this movie is underrated because of people who didn't like it. They rated this movie considering many other things that have nothing to do with this movie. When i rate movie, i only consider movie. This movie is well directed with great performances! I was not bored when i was watching the movie. This is all i can ask from movie.

Falsely accused gang of friends land up in prison by false confessions out of them. The hero's father is brought in as well. A lawyer sees the truth and is willing to help.

Author: arjunflamingfeather from India
30 November 2014

The movie really kick starts with voodoo child and an amazing chase sequence. Danny can really rock and roll. He and his friend because of unfortunate circumstances land up in prison. Falsity everywhere lead to life in the prison. The movie is a fight to the end. The sentenced can either give in or make their lives worse. In life we are often faced with these sort of wrongs, errors that we have not committed but are accused of. The society around seems to fall for that lie. That traps us in a shell and we could loose our heads or never forget the truth of who we are. I'm from India and we have a long history of violence with our neighbor Pakistan. This could any of our stories. There have been innocent victims victimized by the government in both camps. I know after the 9/11 America ill treated harshly many Muslims and Indo Americans there. It is a crime that should not happened. An innocent man's freedom cannot be taken away when he or she is not at fault. They are falsely bludgeoning the Juice of life. The Freedom is a man's birthright. I hope justice prevails and the corrupt governments and officials day in misery reaches them. Fantastic tale of putting up a fight when the odds are stacked to the end of life.

A riveting depiction of historical injustice

Author: Matic Boh
18 July 2014

Led by magnificent acting performances and great direction, In the Name of the Father offers the audience a terrific reenactment of one of the most infamous miscarriages of justice in the history of Britain, as it portrays the story of Gerry Conlon and his father, and the false accusations made against them in regards to the Guildford pub bombings in 1974. By exploring a very controversial issue, this enthralling drama proves to be a very eye-opening and thought provoking viewing experience, one that is both politically and morally charged. Daniel Day-Lewis and Pete Postlethwaite give extremely passionate performances, as they serve as the centerpiece for a film that strikes a strong balance between exploring the estranged father-son relationship and the surrounding political issues. In the Name of the Father therefore proves thoroughly engaging, as it has perpetual motion, both due to its powerful story, but also due to the excellent filmmaking techniques that are one display.

In the Name of the Father, the son, and the Holy Spirit. This was indeed a great movie. Amen for that.

Author: ironhorse_iv from United States
18 March 2014

Directed by Jim Sheridan, this biographical film based on the autobiography, 'Proved Innocent: The Story of Gerry Conlon of the Guildford Four' by Gerry Conlon. The movie focus on the Gerry Conlon's memoir of his imprisonment in England, for a crime, he didn't commit. In the film, Gerry Conlon (Daniel Day-Lewis) is a trouble young man who would rather explore free love and dope than get a real job. After Gerry Conlon get in deep trouble in Belfast for stripping lead from roofs of houses and causing a riot with British security forces. Gerry's father, Giuseppe Conlon (Pete Postlethwaite), saves him from IRA punishment, by sending off to London to stay with his aunt, for his own good. While, at London, an explosion at a pub in Guildford kills five people (four soldiers and a civilian) and wounds 74, and Gerry Conlon find himself, prime suspect in the crime. Soon the Conlon home is raided by the British Army and Royal Ulster Constabulary arrest both, Gerry and Giuseppe. After being torture and threated, both agree to sign a confession to a crime, they didn't commit. After years of being mistreat in prison, Gerry finally grew up from bitter son who rails against his father's wishes, to fight for justice for himself, his father and those, whom were wrongly convicted when he discovers who the real perpetrator of the bombing are. With help with Gareth Peirce (Emma Thompson), a campaigning lawyer, Gerry try to overturn the falsely convicted of the 1974 IRA's Guildford pub bombings. Will he triumph and gain his freedom or will he fail? Watch it, to find out. Even, so, the film is pretty predictable on the ending outcome, but that's not the main reason, not to watch this movie. You should watch it, to get a true understanding of the thought of being forced to live in a prison like that for seventeen years, accused of a crime, you had no part of. It made my stomach turn and I wept. In the climate of near-hysteria, the Prevention of Terrorism Act was passed, allowing the UK police to interrogate suspects for up to seven days without bringing charges or allowing access to an attorney. Americans like myself should watch it, because a similar Act was passed here, after Sept. 11, 2001. Both acts are not right, and need to review. If this movie doesn't raise your blood pressure over the miscarriage of justice, the arrogance of leadership and the need for each individual to judge according to their conscience and not their prejudices, nothing will. Another reason is because the film really work on being a gripping drama between the relationship of father and son. The movie took some liberties by showing the father/son relationship enhanced by sharing a cell in prison, which they never did in real life. I was immediately drawn into the story by Daniel Day-Lewis' as well, as Pete Postletwaite performances in both legal and personal perspectives. Both are great in this film giving the audience emotional depth. The language is a bit harsh in this movie, lot of cursing, but understanding heavy Irish accents as I do, watching a subtitled edition of this film might be a good idea. Some people might not like this movie due to its over impartially case that Britain misrules Northern Ireland, violates Irish civil rights and knowingly compromises its own legal system. I study a lot about the Troubles between England and Northern Ireland, but I really doubt every Englishman is a corrupt anti-Irish bigot. It might be a bit over exaggeration. Though some minor facts were changed, some the major 'facts' are just not real. Example like the crucial character of Joe McAndrew (Don Baker), an IRA man who might had something to do with the bombings is just a fictional character. Still, what remains as truth is gut wrenching when you think about it. Given the subject matter, the film was still well received in protestant areas of Ireland and in England. The film does shows that English public attitudes turned into a highly supportive for the Conlons' freedom when it started to become clear that they were not the culprits for these atrocities nor does the film make the IRA terrorists look like heroes. It is a bit frustrating that people take what the film tells them as fact, but this doesn't take away from the fact that this is a well made, engaging and quite moving film. Regardless of people's political beliefs or the idea that the film might be a bit political bias. The film is a good movie that never really tip over into slushiness or being over preaching or ranting. The music soundtrack is amazing to hear. I love Bono and Gavin Friday "In the Name of the Father". Epic and beautiful. Another great song is 'You Made Me The Thief Of Your Heart" performed by Sinead O' Connor. Quite inspiring. Overall, I thought this film was fascinating to watch. While the troubles are now over with 1998's Good Friday Agreement. I think the film is still very important to watch in a post-9/11 world because it makes us question our current government's hastiness to find answers and make executive decisions. It makes you wonder if our government is or had jail innocent people. Hands down, a politically and emotionally charged issue such as that, is needed to be question. In the Name of the Father shows a good example of that.

Jim Sheridan's Tour De Force

Author: adamtardis
10 January 2014

Few times have I felt such injustice portrayed in a film with such a pay off since Stanley Kubrik's Paths of Glory. This film is perfectly put together and establishes said portrayal of injustice from the get-go.The film follows Paul Micheal Hall played by Daniel Day Lewis who was wrongly sentenced for 'The Guildford Bombings' of 1974. This film shows him and his father from their time in Belfast to their prison sentence. Daniel Day Lewis gives an unsurprisingly good performance but the crown goes to Pete Postlethwaite in his role as Patrick "Giuseppe" Conlon, Paul's father. This is an easy film to compare to Shawshank Redemption which is at the top of the IMDb's top 250 and I think anybody who has loved that film should check this out.

More proof that Daniel Day Lewis is one of the best actors of our time

Author: estebangonzalez10 from Ecuador
20 December 2013

"I don't understand your language. "Justice." "Mercy." "Clemency." I literally don't understand what those words mean."

If I had to describe this film using only one adjective I would say it is an enraging movie. Jim Sheridan followed his successful directorial debut, My Left Foot, by teaming up once again with Daniel Day Lewis who delivers yet another superb performance. I'm ashamed to admit that I just got around to watching this film for the first time on its 20th anniversary, but it was completely worth it because I was blown away by this powerful and engaging film. I wouldn't call this a groundbreaking film because we've had plenty of movies dealing with similar themes. Films like The Hurricane or The Shawshank Redemption deal with the kind of social injustice that is presented here where an innocent man is incarcerated due to a corrupt justice system. In the Name of the Father differs a bit in that it doesn't focus so much on the hope of finding freedom, but rather on the enraging aspect of the injustice that the lead character and his family and friends go through. This is a genre that I'll always be drawn too, especially when it is based on a true story because I think these people deserve to have their voice heard after all they've gone through. I know that several artistic liberties were taken to make the film, but even so it draws attention to Gerry Conlon's autobiographical book. Sheridan's direction was solid, and I liked how he focused a lot of the attention on the father and son relationship. I don't know if this film would've worked as well as it did if it weren't for Daniel Day Lewis's brilliant performance. He is without a doubt one of the best actors of our time.

Gerry Conlon (Daniel Day Lewis) grew up in Belfast in the 70's when the IRA terrorist attacks were at its peak. He was never involved with the terrorist group, but he was no saint either. As a young lad he felt forced to become a small time thief due to the lack of employment. While robbing some lead sheets from a roof of a house he accidentally leads British soldiers to a home that was hiding IRA weapons. Fortunately they never discovered anything, and the IRA members send Gerry off with a warning. His father, Giuseppe (Pete Postlethwaite), with whom he's had an estranged relationship, sends him to London hoping he can find a better future there and escape from all the political turmoil. On his way to London, Gerry runs into his school friend Paul Hill (John Lynch) and together they decide to go visit their friend Patrick Armstrong (Mark Sheppard) who has been living in London along with a group of free spirited hippies. Unfortunately for Gerry and his friends, they end up being in the wrong place at the wrong time and are accused of bombing a soldier's pub. Bullied by the police officers they are forced into signing a confession and are sentenced to prison along with some of Gerry's family members. In prison, Gerry and his father continue to fight to prove their innocence with the help of an attorney named Gareth Pierce (Emma Thompson) and the more she digs into the story the more corruption she finds in the police procedures.

The film manages to draw you in and make your blood boil due to all the injustices suffered by these characters. It is one of those movies where the tension builds up with the passing of time, but at the same time you also feel a connection growing between Gerry and his father. The film becomes more than a simple social injustice tale and turns into a character driven story focusing on the relationship between father and son. It is a shame the film has kind of been forgotten because I thought it was really well made. It never won an Academy Award, but it did receive 7 nominations including Best Picture, losing out to Schindler's List that year. Daniel Day Lewis outshines everyone in this film, although the supporting cast was very strong, especially Pete Postlethwaite who shared great chemistry with Lewis. This was an intense film that had me at the edge of my seat thanks to the way in which Sheridan tells the story and slowly draws the viewer in. The final 20 minutes of this film are perfect and Daniel Day Lewis knocks his performance out of the ball park.