IMDb > In the Name of the Father (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
In the Name of the Father

In the Name of the Father More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

A touch of brilliance

Author: alexanderberg94 from Iceland
27 November 2016

Pete Postlethwaite's and Daniel Day-Lewis' incredible reenactment of father and son wrongly convicted for the 1974 Guildford pub bombings and their different approaches on trying to get the case appealed. Their amazing on screen synergy is a big part of this films appeal which tackles a tough subject about injustice and the state of Britain at the time.

Day-Lewis captures his characters' (Gerry Conlon) evolution in an Oscar worthy way and proves himself to be a very diverse actor. Supporting actor Emma Thompson delivers a touching performance as the lawyer working towards getting the case appealed.

Director Jim Sheridan does a good job and uses a mix of methods to enhance a scene's importance or emotional weight. The pacing is very good and all three acts of the film are excellent. Overall it's fantastic film that seems to be very faithful to it's source material.

I wonder what the Irish perspective is...

Author: Parker Lewis from United States
24 September 2016

I found In the name of the Father very moving and it made you wonder about how many miscarriages of justice there were in the war on the IRA. I remember mentioning how much I liked this movie to an Irish guy and he really had harsh words to say about ITNOTF. I don't know if the Irish guy was Irish Republic Irish or Northern Ireland Irish. But on first glance I wonder how to tell them apart? Also how do you tell apart the Protestants and Catholics? The New York Times reviewer of the theater performance "Quietly", which deals with the troubles, wondered "how did the enemies tell one another apart?"

Good question indeed, and I guess they were able to unite and form a unity/coalition government in Northern Ireland after all. Maybe the troubles are less troublesome, so that's a good outcome after watching ITNOTF.

Corin Redgrave was impressive in the role of UK police officer Robert Dixon, who I believe is a composite of police officers. Robert really was politically incorrect when it came to his service to the public.

a film that perfectly depicts the injustice upon Gerry Conlon and his friends.

Author: Miguel Neto
12 September 2016

In the 70s, an IRA bombing kills five people in a pub Guildford town near London. Gerry Conlon (Daniel Day-Lewis) is a rebellious young Irishman who ends up being wrongly accused of the crime, and gets life in prison along with three other friends. Giuseppe Conlon (Pete Postlethwaite), his father tries to help him, but is condemned too. I always thought the actions of Daniel Day-Lewis better than the own film, more in this film we have a different case, the actions of Daniel Day-Lewis is good as the film in the Name of the Father is a film that portrays a great injustice, the cast is very good, Daniel Day-Lewis in my opinion is his second best performance, losing to Lincoln only Pete Postlethwaite, Emma Thompson, Beatie Edney, Corin Redgrave, Mark Sheppard, etc., the direction is the competent Jim Sheridan, the soundtrack is excellent, the costumes is very good, the pace is good, the more times the pace gets a little slow, in the Name of the Father is one of the best films of the glorious decade of 90, with a great cast and an impeccable performance of Daniel Day-Lewis. Note 8.8

Still one of my favorite films of all time

Author: hollywoodnt from United States
26 August 2016

Whenever people ask me what is my favorite movie, this still pops to the top of my list.

The beautifully told story and the humanity inside of living any of our worst nightmares couldn't be more poignant and touching.

Jim Sheridan is a master storyteller who weaves moments of happiness while telling stories of people facing the worst adversities. He manages to have a film with an important message, but it draws you in with complex, real characters and grippingly beautiful storytelling.

And of course it has a stellar cast with nothing but excellent performances from Daniel Day Lewis, Emma Thompson, Pete Postlethwaite. I highly recommend taking time to watch this film, you won't regret it.

A completely illogical plot

Author: robertklinck
20 June 2016

I won't write a spoiler, but merely invite viewers of the film to reflect on how what the prisoners and their legal counsel are striving to prove has any logical bearing on the issue of their guilt, given the method by which the crime was committed. My son pointed this problem out to me when he saw the film at the age of 12; I myself, like the many people who have found the plot to be credible, had not picked up on it. It's a classic instance of Hollywood-manufactured cognitive dissonance.

Before the over-the-top stereotypical court scene at the end, the performances of the actors are very good.

Contumacy and solidarity

Author: canperincekster from Turkey
17 December 2015

The movie is a really good one. Collective behaviors, solidarity, contumacy spirit and touchy elements of the movie reminded me the classic movie One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Daniel Day Lewis is acting brilliantly. One of the rare movies that really affected me deeply. Moreover, the soundtracks, thanks to the Irish folk tunes, are contributing to the effect that the movie leave upon you. When you do a little research on the real story that was reflected in the movie, the effect deepens. The critical view against the judicial system of England is also appreciated. As a result, it is a must-be-watched piece; I strongly recommend.

Very solid in all aspects

Author: Johan Dondokambey from Indonesia
30 October 2015

The story gets nicely and quickly direct. It greatly covers many subjects beside the focus on the wrongful imprisonment. There are also the father- son relationship, small instances of youth mischief, the overall Troubles in Belfast and the pressure that makes the four confessed what they didn't do. The visuals are also great thing to see. The early Belfast depiction is something very attention grabbing. I watched '71 some time ago and now know where does the movie get their inspiration to depict the Belfast chaos. The acting overall is also a great job. Daniel Day-Lewis did great in portraying the character's personality and the changes happened through the fifteen years. Emma Thomson did well enough through her relatively short screen time. Pete Postlethwaite also did very well in balancing Daniel Day-Lewis' performance.

Heartbreaking.

Author: Princess Kalista (PrincessKalista) from United States
29 October 2015

I absolutely loved this movie. It was incredibly touching and sad. I almost stopped watching at the torture part. I guess I am a bit sensitive when it comes to things like this but, my god, I haven't hurt that much since the first season of Game of Thrones. Daniel Day- Lewis is a phenomenal actor and this one really made him shine. He was so convincing and played the role so well. He made me feel everything he did. It was like I was in the situation with him. When the man said he was going to kill Gerry's daughter, the face of terror and helplessness struck me so hard. The acting in this movie is what really sold me for it. The story is so sad and heart breaking as well. The fact that this actually happened to Gerry Conlon's family is so sad. They had the prime of their lives taken from them. His daughter went to jail at 17 and came out at 32!! That is so screwed up. They took everything from them, just to blame someone for this crime. Even when they caught the real criminals! This is one of the best movies I've ever watched. Yes, they left out big chunks but as a movie, Jim Sheridan did an excellent job.

In The Name of the Innocent

Author: Michael Radny from Perth, Australia
17 October 2015

In The Name Of The Father exceeds far beyond expectations. It's not just a drama about miss justice, but it also delves into a thriller about love, family and closing the case before it's too late. Whilst the IRA are a bad bunch, this film gives them reason to do what they did, and oddly enough, you feel the same way. The wrongful sentencing of the group was far more disgusting then I could have realized, making you nearly hate the entirety of the English courts.

In The Name Of The Father proves to be a huge success for the viewer. A well invested two hours will give you the satisfaction that you ill be longing from the beginning. Truly a masterpiece from the 90's.

Was blown away completely.

Author: aj ju from United Arab Emirates
29 September 2015

I never knew how good Daniel day Lewis was , perhaps never knew who he was until I actually saw this movie , I remember watching Gangs of new York but I never knew it was him who played this role. I was sailing when I got this DVD , I dint have anything else to watch so I just played it to get my free time handled,I was totally blown when I was halfway through the movie,

It starts with Daniel day Lewis playing as Gerry being this carefree guy and living life to the fullest, but something happens and he gets arrested ,till here the story was just normal ,but at a critical point there comes a person in the prison unexpectedly who changes his life forever. The great thing about this movie is that although he stays inside those 4 corners behind those bars ,he attains the wisdom which we look for throughout our life traveling around the world. The movie gives you a boost if you are looking for one , and there is some magic in this movie , which keeps you just craving for more even the movie finishes, I re-watched this movie a couple of times , especially certain scenes , and trust me this helped my sail.Watch out for Danny you are definitely being his fan after watching this.