IMDb > Hocus Pocus (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 9 of 14: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

A NEW "CULT" CLASSIC

Author: PATRICIA from LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
13 October 2001

An excellent film. My family and I bought this film after viewing it several times. It is a great story and a Halloween classic. My 7 y.o. and her cousins fell in love with it and are going to be the Sanderson Sisters for Halloween this year. There aren't many films that I like to view that often but this one gets a once a month billing in our household.

Total Halloween fun.

Author: kmama3
15 August 2001

Hocus Pocus, to this day, is still one of my all time favorite Halloween movies. Bette Midler, Kathy Najimy and Sarah Jessica Parker are hilarious as the three Sanderson sisters bought back from the dead by the "virgin" Max (Omri Katz), his sister Dani (Thora Birch) and "love interest" Allison (Vinessa Shaw).

Full of magic, fun, witches, the walking dead and a talking cat, this movie is definitely a classic. So pull up a couch, cuddle with the kiddies and enjoy this all around great family film.

My favorite Disney movie!

Author: SUSY J from Hialeah, Florida
18 April 1999

I think this is the best Disney movie on ancient witches! I just absolutely love it. I wish there can be a part two, with all the same people that were in it. If I had the power to do so, believe me, I'll find each and every person that was on that movie, and make a sequel or just a Part 2. Keep up the great work!

It gets me in the mood... for Halloween.

Author: Amore-2 from Cleveland, Georgia
25 September 1998

I loved this movie. Bette, Sarah, and Kathy were great! It was the building block for Thora Birch's movie career. An A+ for Vanessa Shaw also. Light-hearted Halloween fun!

A wild and zany Halloween romp.

Author: Nathan L. Erdel (sweeney@iquest.net) from Muncie, IN
21 September 1998

I felt that this movie was an excellent family film. It had many jokes that were funny to young children, but were even more so to the adults who fully understood them. A sad thing, however, is the fact that no soundtrack is avalible for this film. Bette Midler's hilarious "I Put a Spell on You" and Sarah Jessica Parker's frightningly seductive "Come, Little Children" would be a great listening experience, along with the haunting score. All in all, this is one of my favorite Disney movies.

Best Halloween Movie

Author: cupcake2849 from United States
29 September 2014

I absolutely love this movie! I can watch it over and over. And never get tired of it. Plus I love how it has its own history within the movie. It's hilarious! And a great movie for the whole family. I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel. But only if the original cast were up to it. I'm surprised my DVD hasn't messed up yet. This movie is goofy and it has its serious moments as well. The actors and actresses do a great job. Sarah Jessica Parker's character is absolutely funny. Bette Midler does an amazing job as Winnie. Kathy Najimy keeps me laughing for sure. I recommend this movie for Halloween most definitely. Or unless you just want to watch a funny movie. My favorite Halloween movie by far. :)

I was rooting for the witches.

Author: OllieSuave-007 from California, USA
11 April 2014

Here is a family fantasy Disney movie starring Bette Midler, Kathy Najimy and Sarah Michelle Parker as three resurrected witches from Salem, Massachusetts who want to achieve immortal life and continue their reign of terror. Therefore, it is up to teenagers Max (Omri Katz) and Allison (Vinessa Shaw), young girl Dani (Thora Birch) and an immortal black cat to stop the witches.

The movie's story is simple and childish, nothing too intriguing or suspenseful. The supposedly evil witches were portrayed as whimsical and mischievous, not the devilish, cold-hearted, and morbid types that would scare the pants off of you. I actually enjoyed watching the witches' villainous yet funny roles on screen - much better than the amateurish, sappy, lovey-dovey teenagers portrayal. The kids annoyed me so much that I was actually rooting for the witches to succeed in their plans.

It's a predictable movie that is best suited for kids. Adults should stay away.

Grade D+

The best Kid's Witch film of all time!

Author: weewizard2013 from United Kingdom
1 February 2014

Just wanted to leave a super quick review of one of my favourite films of all time, a Witch film, that just ticks so many boxes for me it's unreal. I know this was 1993, and it's probably lost a great deal of it's momentum, but I'm here to state that in my mind it is one of the finest children's spooky witch film that takes everything to a whole new level & still hits the spot to entertain Kids and Adults.

( *SOME POTENTIAL MILD SPOILERS BELOW*) 1st off, It's a Disney film. now we all know Disney is a lot more liberal these days on what they can and can't show and say. Disney films are riddled with dark humour especially new ones like Despicable Me etc, but back when Hocus Pocus was about, there really wasn't many films alike at that time, which is why it stands out to me, it really went heavy on the content & still hit the PG rating. within the first 10-15 minutes you see a girl get the life sucked out of her, directly after that you see Witches getting hanged, by the time the witches return from the dead, words like Virgin are being thrown around, "And he's a Virgin" "Are you a Virgin?" surely at some point some kid is going to ask his parents what a virgin is! A spell book with an eyeball in it, given to Winnie by the devil himself, in "Satan's" house, the wife calls Sarah "Tart Face" and the whole tone of the film is really extreme for a family friendly Halloween film. I'm not complaining about these things, they are what made it for me, to this day they still stand out and i don't know how Disney got away with it. Think that Kenny Ortega is doing High School Musical etc now, it's totally different to what Hocus Pocus was like, most people don't actually believe hocus Pocus is Disney when i bring it up in conversation.

(Continued Review) The casting was brilliant, Sarah Jessica Parker looks out of this world then compared to now, they look so different, she was beautiful in this, Bette Middler just nailed the character of Winnie so well, all of them were buck mad, eccentric and over the top and zany! I don't know how they were able to get into that crazy mode and speak the way they did, it's certainly not an American Accent I heard off them, it was just undesirable! It's fun for Adults, and it's fun for kids, it really isn't scary, however everything from the movie soundtrack, to the script and set pieces and not to mention incredible special effects all go perfectly. They touch a wee bit on the whole Macbeth 3 witches thing, the big bubbling cauldron, zombies, magic, talking cats, it's just brilliant. You see movies like Harry Potter today and see him whizzing round the Quidditch Match on like a manual broom with a green screen on it, or even completely computer generated at some points and compare it to these witches flying, on wires the proper way, you can see they are flying for real there, no trickery, that's why it's perfect for me, they tried to do as many things as real as possible.

The movie is just so much fun, I seriously believe it's underrated, and I think that some other movies tried to take little bits out of Hocus Pocus, like look at Rohl Daul's The Witches, first off, the very opening scene? it has a camera high in the air flying over white snowy mountains as the credits role, i'm sorry but that had nothing to do witches because none of the witches flew in that movie, in Hocus Pocus however, there is a camera high in the air flying over Salem, with a witches silhouette, it just seemed too similar as if they were nudging towards Hocus Pocus, oh and as for Casper Meets Wendy? three witches round a big dry ice filled cauldron, one witch peering out the window, the other one making jokes to the more aggressive leader witch, and then she says things like "Ugh, What did i do to deserve sisters like this?" ... Hocus Pocus Winnie - "Why, Why Why was I cursed with such idiot sisters?!!" ...

If you ask me.. Hocus Pocus is the ULTIMATE WITCH FILM AND ALWAYS WILL BE!!!!!

Yes, the film is patchy, but overall it is an under-appreciated and perfectly watchable movie

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
23 October 2009

Hocus Pocus is a decent movie. I agree that it is one of the lesser live-action Disney efforts, but it is a watchable and I think under-appreciated Halloween movie. I honestly thought My Favourite Martian was worse, despite it having the wonderful Christopher Lloyd in it. Back to Hocus Pocus, it does have its flaws, the script has its weak spots, the direction is at times lifeless and Omri Katz never quite convinces in the lead. On a positive note, everything else ranges from decent to very good. Bette Midler steals the show, while having the most screen time, she is evidently relishing her role. Her co-stars Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy equally delight, and all three women are suitably scary and hammy. The music is very nice, I loved the catchy Put a Spell on You and I thought the beginning of the movie was superb. The camera work was good, and the special effects were decent. What I loved most though was the original storyline, there are some funny and scary moments. Kids will definitely love it, adults not so much, though my dad did like it. Overall, patchy but enjoyable. 7/10 Bethany Cox

Excellent Halloween film you'll love which will leave you feeling good

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
19 January 2006

HOCUS POCUS, in my opinion, is an excellent Halloween film you'll love which will leave you feeling good. The only thing about it that scared me was when the witches (Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy) suddenly appeared out of nowhere. Other than that, I didn't get scared at all. Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say that everyone involved in this film did an excellent job. In conclusion, to all you horror film lovers that have not seen this excellent Halloween film you'll love which will leave you feeling good, I highly recommend it! You're in for a good time as well as some pure chills and thrills, so go to the video store, rent it or buy it, turn down the lights, lock all your doors and windows, and enjoy!

Page 9 of 14: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]