IMDb > Hocus Pocus (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hocus Pocus

Hocus Pocus More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

It'll put a spell on you

Author: John Mitchell from Godalming, Surrey
24 November 2006

I must say I like this movie! Whenever I see it, I get a proper Disney, warm, fuzzy feeling. It's a prime example of what is now commonplace in movies, but wasn't when this was released; it appeals to both adults and children.

It has some genuine laugh-out-loud moments, in the main, due to Bette Midler's wonderfully over the top performance as Winifred. Kathy Najimy is also great and Doug Jones as Billy is very funny.

It's all here: Comedy, nice little scares and that Disney factor. On the whole, minus the odd cringe-worthy moment, this isn't bad. It's a lovely little comedy with a heart of gold. If you haven't seen it, do. It's definitely worth a watch

Great Kids 'Scary Movie'

Author: Kerry Walker from New Zealand
9 October 2006

I first saw this when I was a kid at the movies and it really scared me! I watched it again as an adult purely by accident and found it to be one of the few children's movies that can be watched by adults without too much pain. Beware though, there are all-singing, all-dancing parts! As I'm not American, I found that it was a great insight into the Halloween and trick or treating traditions. As the movie is set in New England, the addition of stories of and witches and witch-hunts is tied in nicely. Although this movie is not going to win any awards, I found it entertaining and would definitely be a good 'scary movie' for kids.

great light Halloween film

Author: xsophietaylorx from United Kingdom
24 September 2014

This film is just enjoyable to watch. From the start the characters all seem appealing and likable even the three witches. My favourite character has to be Zachary Binks the boy trapped in the cats body he really does just melt my heart as he has a soft spot for Danni and seems to get closest to her. I like how in the end we come to think Max and Allison have some chemistry. The song I put a spell on you is also very catchy and fun to listen too, the film is just good all around, good story, good costumes, good sets and overall just good! It really is beyond me how people can criticise this film it really is harmless fun it's not too scary but it does have some horror elements friendly enough for younger children. It's a non gory different Halloween film for everyone in the family.

Too cute, and fun

Author: Silly from computer room
24 September 1998

WELL this is a fun movie, and Bette is just so talented, love her voice! Siblings and what they will do for each other to keep each other safe, about personal sacrifices and love. OK it sounds corny but its really got some FUNNY moments in it, and children 5 and above will love it. Some are kinda scary for little ones, but it has a happy ending.... OK well a happy as can be ending.

It may work for the kids

Author: SnoopyStyle
1 November 2014

It's been 300 years since the Sanderson sisters Winifred (Bette Midler), Sarah (Sarah Jessica Parker) and Mary (Kathy Najimy) were hung for sucking the life force from a girl. They vow to return to Salem with the help of a virgin and suck the life force from all the children. Max Dennison is a new in town. He's not into Halloween. Pretty girl Allison (Vinessa Shaw) gives his number back to him. Bullies steal his shoes. He is forced to take his sister Dani (Thora Birch) trick or treating. Trying to impress Allison, he and Dani go with her to the old Sanderson house and light the black flame candle. This brings the sisters back from the dead.

This is definitely a children's horror movie. There is nothing here for everybody else. I don't like the kids. I really don't like the boy. Thora Birch is fine but she's more bratty than lovable. Vinessa Shaw is a blank. The three witches are not funny. They're not scary either, at least for adults. This may work for the kids. That's the best that I can say about it.

Author: sunznc from Huntington Beach, Ca.
26 October 2014

After seeing this the only thing I can think of Kathy Najimy's stomach turning pervy act. She didn't do or say anything that was funny. Sarah Jessica Parker acted like she had suffered from a severe brain injury and Bette Midler……tired, tired, tired.

And another thing, the constant elbow in the stomach act? Please. That is so Love American Style or Tim Conway from Carol Burnett Show. Really? That was supposed to be funny?

The only positives from this film were the sets and the lighting. The only truly clever act was perhaps the corpse that comes back to live and dances around the graveyard but then, suddenly this isn't a film for kids.

Horrible. Just horrible.

Sarah Jessica Parker is hilarious.

Author: Aidiera from Phoenix
26 October 2012

This was my first time watching "Hocus Pocus," and it's actually a pretty good movie. The cast was fine, and I'll say that Anne Hathaway in "Alice In Wonderland" was emulating this version of Sarah Jessica Parker. Some parts of the plot, like how the witches got out of the oven and the "virgin" gag, were either annoying or unexplained, but overall it was a fun movie with some really great lines. I liked the romantic storyline between Max and Allison, and I loved seeing Dani and Max get along so well. I thought that the whole zombie thing was stupid, but I still enjoyed it and can see myself watching it every few years around Halloween.

Adore it but why oh why...

Author: stevenduhig from United States
13 November 2009

I absolutely adored this movie. Viewed it four times over Halloween this year with my family.

Bette Midler and her companions were in my view truly outstanding. The story and the flashback elements handled fantastically well. Many cameos stand out, not least the use of substitute brooms complete with cord. Wonderful@

Biggest annoyance for me, and from our family perspective, was the totally unnecessary obsession with virginity throughout the entire movie. If only the script writer had used "innocence" instead of "virginity" it would have been entirely suitable for all ages in my view. Personally I did not have a problem with the "Madonna bra scene" but I did literally edit out the superfluous objectionable exchange with the motorcycle "cop" on virginity at each showing. The joke exchange concerning breasts on arrival in the house, and the reference to virginity in the closing scene, were both totally unnecessary in my view, and spoiled an otherwise excellent movie.

They'll put a spell on you!

Author: du04 from West Midlands, United Kingdom
31 January 2007

I have loved this film since the moment I first saw it, Bette Midler steals the show as Winnie Sanderson, closely followed by roles in the form of Sarah Jessica Parker as Sarah Sanderson (who knew she could sing?), and Kathy Najimy as Mary Sanderson.

The plot is just your basic Disney movie I suppose, boy brings witches back from the dead on Halloween, they cause havoc, eventually boy, girl and sister defeat the witches and life carries on.

But what makes this film magical (pun intended) is it's great lead cast (the witches) and good supporting cast (the kids).

Bette Midler steals almost every scene she is in, but at the town hall ball, where she performs 'I put a spell on you,' shows the depth of her talent as an actress and singer. This is one of my favourite films of all time and will probably remain so well into my life.

One questions remains however, how does Kathy Najimy do that thing with her mouth???

its my favourite film

Author: roxy black from United Kingdom
27 November 2006

this is one of the greatest films ever made i have it on DVD and i think its amazing every time i watch it i cry at the end its really is brilliant!!!! i suggest watching it to see for your self to find out what the films really about. i have recommended this film to all of my friends and family i have even had them round to watch it and all comments they have made about the film have been positive. i don't understand how anyone can doubt the film its just amazing like i said watch it!!! my personal opinion will differ to other but this film has so many laughs in it it has laughs for the children and laughs for the adults. please watch it and see for your self what I'm talking about!!!