IMDb > Heart and Souls (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

A Charming, Heart-Warming, Sadly Underrated Movie

Author: vornado11 from United States
16 September 2013

I had never heard of this movie until about 3 days ago, when it turned up on Netflix in a search. Normally, I skip these movies, but I had to wash the taste of Spy Kids 4 out of my brain, and it starred Robert Downey Jr, aka Iron Man & Sherlock Holmes, so I hit Play. What I got is one of the best comedies from the early 90's I've ever seen.

Without spoiling anything, the movie involves 4 people who died at the exact moment Downey's character is born, so they somehow become "attached" to the kid, interacting with him through his early childhood. However, an incident causes them to hide from him for presumably the rest of his life. But that's reversed when Downey's character is in his 30's and the spirits suddenly realize they each have some unfinished business they must take care of. What follows is a lot of slapstick, character comedy, and heartwarming scenes to entertain young and old.

One of the best parts of the movie is, of course, Robert Downey Jr's acting. This is early in his career, so he looks incredibly young and inexperienced, but he tackles not only his character, but several other characters throughout the movie like a pro. Whenever he's on screen(which is nearly the whole movie), he has something funny to either say or do. The supporting cast are all charming as well, featuring the ghosts of a sassy black woman, a loving fiancée, a timid singer, and a greaser with a heart of gold, each with a fun personality and character. The effects are rather good for the time as well, with transparency and wire-work for the ghosts that is convincing enough to get the point across, but not enough to distract the audience from the characters. The camera-work of San Francisco is also well done, with close-up shots and wide shots used to achieve perfect perspective.

One of the few problems I have with this movie is that it can sometimes get a little TOO heartwarming and sappy. When these scenes happen, they drag for a bit too long, which is more obvious toward the end. The introduction is nearly a third of the movie and is nearly a short film in itself, which is fine unless you want to get to the main point of the film. There's also a subplot concerning Downey's girlfriend that is practically glanced over and, for the most part, pointless. None of these scenes are so long you'd want to fast forward, but in this age of fast acting and quick editing, you may be thinking "Get on with it" a few times.

Overall, this movie is a very charming, very heart-warming, very funny movie, using an idea that's been used so many times and creating an original atmosphere. I'd recommend this movie for fans of Robert Downey Jr, early 90's comedies, or anyone who wants to laugh and be inspired at the same time.

Few adult fantasies reach this peak

Author: vincentlynch-moonoi from United States
15 February 2013

Funny thing about Robert Downey, Jr. When he was younger I felt that he was one of the most gifted young actors around, particularly in light/sentimental comedies (e.g., "Only You", "Chances Are"). But, I was appalled by his personal behavior, particularly his drug addictions. Then he cleaned up his act, for which I admired him a great deal. But he seemed to lose the ability to play that very special kind of charming, romantic comedy. And frankly, I haven't been very impressed with most of the work he has done since. Ah well, such is life.

This film has to be one of the most charming...well, it's not really a comedy at all (although it has its share of humor)...charming fantasies I've ever watched. Sentimental, humorous, even thought provoking. And Robert Downey, Jr. clearly steals the show...particularly in his performances when the other dead co-stars take over his body.

That he so dominates the film is surprising since he is not in the first third of the film, and is acting with some very formidable performers. Charles Grodin plays, well, Charles Grodin here...but that's perfect for the part. Alfre Woodard is simply superb as the mother taken away from her children. Kyra Sedgwick is delightful as the young woman who made a bad decision romantically while still living. And Tom Sizemore is authentic as the Italian light thief. I give this praise while saying that I've never been a fan of either Sizemore or Sedgwick.

It's rare that I give an "8", but this film sets a high for standard for adult fantasies. Bravo! Highly recommended!

By far my favorite Robert downey jr film

Author: SMALLWHEELS101 from United States
4 September 2012

I can't even begin to explain how much I love this movie. Everything about it makes me feel ahhhh. I'm surprised I never saw this movie sooner. I never really heard about it. I don't even have to explain it just watch it, you will fall in love. The only thing I wish was different was elizabeth shues character, i dunno, I just didn't like her. but i dunno maybe that was just part of the film. All the other characters/ actors were great. Everyone had a great story that went with them and you had a tear of joy for each one. I will say no more just watch it and u will love it. thanks.................................................

Wonderful spiritual tale!

Author: paulouscan from Canada
25 January 2011

The film is almost a movie theme, as it addresses the dimension of the afterlife, life after death. It is based on numerous accounts of experienced people who have had contact with spiritual beings without bodies who had actually lived shortly before as human beings. As the arbitrary and irrational authoritarian influence of religions was released off our societies, western world ones first and then worldwide, we saw these previously taboo stories emerge in the sets of the modern world. The phenomenon of the medium itself, that human being capable to pose as intermediary, "channel" between dead people, in any case without physical bodies perceptible to our five senses, and us, human beings of flesh and bone and many other things, has become a landmark of progress of science. Rigid attitudes of allegedly "scientific" refusal do not resist anymore to facts which are multiplying, and science can now say that it does not understand these realities, they are just mysteries, but not hallucinations or bullshit anymore. Too many duly documented, official, even legally sworn about witnessings have piled up in the files of our governments. So this film is both a joyful comedy and a message of tolerance, and it pitches its scenario into our arms and makes us share what human life looks like when it is in touch with this new dimension on a natural daily basis. It also touches on this phase of childhood where so many parents have oppressed, consciously or by blind faith, the natural occurrence of this communication with the afterlife on the part of their children playing with these "imaginary friends", as they say. .. Excellent performance, great achievement, not always easy to make. A must see!

What a wonderful movie!!

Author: mthudak from Pittsburgh, PA, USA
8 January 2011

I absolutely love this movie! Just caught part of it again by accident as I was flipping channels, and I just feel so good right now. I gave it a 10/10, not because it's artistically or technically or dramatically special -- it just makes you feel wonderful! The acting is great, especially Robert Downey, Jr. as he assumes the "identity" of each of his 4 ghost friends, but everyone is just a joy to watch. The movie is filled with all good-hearted people. I can't understand why it doesn't have a higher rating on IMDb. I recognize it's not earth-shattering movie-making, but it's just such a sweet, happy movie, and ya know, what's wrong with that? We need those types of movies as much as we need more artistically strong movies such as "The Godfather" and "No Country for Old Men." If you get the chance, watch this. You'll be humming and feel great when it's over.

Absolutely Charming!

Author: sherruss from United States
2 January 2008

I don't usually just throw out 10's for movies, but this one I have watched several times over the years and each time I'm touched by the message it sends across.

I shed tears over the sad moments, I laugh at the funny parts, and I fall in-love all over again during the romantic scenes. Its really the best combination of a romantic comedy with some drama thrown in. Not only is it a perfect movie to watch with a loved one, but it's clean enough to watch with kids and parents.

I loved this movie and would recommend it to anybody. It's really inspired me and the moments I have with my own family. And the song "Walk like a man, talk like a man" will be cherished by me forever.

Funny and touching story

Author: marcus_stokes2000 from Italy
4 January 2007

*Heart And SPOILERS*

Four people (Charles Grodin, Alfre Woodard, Tom Sizemore and Kyra Sedgwick) die in a bus accident at the same time a little boy, Thomas, is born.

The ghosts become his not-so-imaginary friends, but have to leave him (while keeping a careful eye on him) for his own good.

We flashforward to a few years later; the now grown up Thomas (Robert Downey Jr.) is an uptight, closed off young man who is stuck in a work he doesn't actually like and has problems with his girlfriend (Elizabeth Shue).

And if that wasn't enough, he finds he has to help his ghost friends, because they've been called up to Heaven and must put their unsolved problems to rest.

Will Thomas be able to help them all? I rewatched 'Heart And Souls' for the first time in a while, and I realized it's even better than I remembered; nicely paced, with funny jokes, touching moments and a whole sincerity to it that makes this movie a real treat.

It's perfect to watch with the kids and alone.

Heart And Souls: 8/10.

I loved this movie!

Author: DeeDeeW3 from Austin Texas
27 October 2006

I think this movie would have fared better at the box office with better publicity. I didn't care if I saw it or not, it just happened to be showing at the right time so my friends and I went and LOVED it. It starts off a little slow setting up the different characters and the Robert Downey Jr hits hi gear and it is great. He plays each character so well.

I highly recommend this to anyone that loves those "feel good" movies. And any Robert Downey JR fan is sure to enjoy it. The little boy in this movie is so cute and did such a good job. I have never had anyone watch this movie and not like it. I rented it so many times to show to people that the owners of the video rental store bought me one for Christmas!!

A Fun, Comedy Drama

Author: tabuno from utah
7 August 2006

A somewhat uneven comedy with a much more dramatic beginning and a much funnier middle, and the traditional but solid ending. Robert Downey Jr. gets to mimic several known actors including Charles Grodin, Alfre Woodard, Kyra Sedgwick, and Tom Sizemore as their characters supposedly alternately inhabit his body. This movie begins with a much more somber tone becoming a comedy when Robert Downey is shown grown and encounters his companion spirits. The ending of the movie is nice and solid with little sappy or syrupy gushing ending, but a much more deliberative but emotionally satisfying resolution. This is a fun, literally "spirited" movie with heart and soul, about redemption and second chances. There are a few cheesy pieces in the movie, but overall it's a nice bit of comedic acting in an entertaining movie. Seven out of Ten Stars.

Great plot, fun, makes you laugh.

Author: Marty from United States
1 January 2006

It has been many years from when I first watched the movie. The movie is timeless in respect to the values it teaches. It makes you review your own life the second time you watch it. You wonder about all those moments in life you messed up and should have done the right thing but didn't.

The part with BB King is one of those music/movie moments that will always stand out in film history. Like the Beatles on the Ed Sulavin Show,"Heart and Soul" has captured this forever. BB King was the best part of the movie for me. The way he plays,everybody wants to play the blues guitar. He makes that Gibson sing! Enjoy the movie,but don't forget when you see the "Blues King" play, how it makes you feel! He is the "Soul" of the movie.

Page 4 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]