IMDb > Heart and Souls (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Heart and Souls

Heart and Souls More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

A truly amazing and adorable movie

Author: Francisco Carlos Rosas Giardina (giardina.miguez@uol.com.br) from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
6 April 1999

I was deeply touched by this incredible movie. I didn't realize how great the movie was until I rented it years ago (I had never heard of it until that time). I was captivated by its pure and simple messages. The performances by the entire cast were wonderful, specially Alfre Woodard, she was a joy to watch. I bought a copy of the movie and now and then I see it when I am in a bad mood - it always makes me feel much better. Brilliant !!!

One you can watch with your children and not be embarrassed.

Author: JeanA10 from United States
22 February 2006

Heart and Souls is a great movie. It is one you can watch with your children and not be embarrassed. It is also a great romantic comedy that can be watched with the love of your life. I don't understand why this didn't get a lot of attention when it came out. I just picked it up by chance for Valentines Day and am really glad I did. The acting was good and the story line well developed. The beginning is difficult to follow however. It starts with a short vignette on each of the key players but it doesn't make that clear. It is only later that you realize what the beginning was about. Well worth watching once, twice, even three times.

Walk Like a Topper

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
17 January 2010

My original comment on this was deleted. As with the characters in the movie, this gives me a second chance.

I admit that I am an admirer of Downey. He is one of our few actors that can do what I call folded acting: a self-awareness that communicates itself. This is just a kind of language of mental mathematics — one that I believe makes people more susceptible to addictive behavior. This film was done right after the rather amazing "Chaplin," but before it was released. I think it is pretty effective writing and I will recommend it on that score.

But there are two scenes that really worked for me. One is the setup, the other the payoff.

The setup is the six year old Downey sings in the bathroom with his four ghost friends. It is 1965 and we are singing "walk like a man," already an iconic song. The walls reverberate like schoolboy toilet walls do — or used to when they were 100% tile and urinals were lined up. It has energy. The boy actor is terrific. The joke at the time is a nun looks in and sees and hears only the boy. Mildly funny. Mildly endearing.

Now move forward to later when the adult Downey re-encounters the ghosts. He has just done something companionable and likes hanging out. They are crossing Post street in San Francisco — a regular street. They break out into this song. The whole thing lasts only a minute or so before being interrupted by an iconic bus to heaven. But watch the ensemble do their strutting to the song, just as if they were still stuck in 1963, when the song appeared... except for Downey. Look at what he does here, hands in pockets singing the lead. When I saw this in 1993, I knew this man would be important. This 20 or 30 seconds.

It is because the context is all about inhabiting bodies and carrying selves. He does the "oh gosh, now I'm someone else," bit with awareness of both beings. In this scene, he is three persons: the child, the adult, the actor. He spoke about this at the time. Here you can see virtually everything he brought to "Tropic Thunder."

Ted's Evaluation -- 3 of 3: Worth watching.

Oh - man....

Author: oh_hunuh from Liverpool, England
22 August 1999

My favorite part is definitely the meeting where the spirits take over the body for the first time. Robert is awesome and I am very glad to see a film that makes you feel good. Definitely a keeper. This movie is a classic that I will enjoy for years to come and hopefully I can enjoy it with my kids one day!

Best and great movie

Author: smacky from Kuching, Sarawak
19 April 1999

This movie has humor, sadness and a very meaningful advice in its story line and does not have a bad special effect too..... one of the best movies i have ever seen.

Positive and upbeat. Clean and refreshing.

Author: Michael E. Harris from Browns Mills, NJ USA
8 March 1999

This is a great family flick. In an era of filth, this is a welcome relief. I could watch this with my 12-year old daughter and not feel embarrassed. I could recommend this to my pastor or my 80+ year old mother without fear. Great ensemble cast -- actors who could sustain a movie on their own. Fun to watch; Tugs aat your heart strings.

Gimmick movie made worthwhile by excellent acting ensemble

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
27 May 2006

Four spirits don't know why they're inexplicably tied to a baby boy, born on the night they perished in a bus accident in 1959 San Francisco; jump ahead 30 years, and the ghosts learn the now-grown man may be able to help them redeem their collective pasts with a mix of mortal and supernatural help. Highly commercial fanciful-comedy is slick but not particularly hilarious or moving, mostly just busy--very busy--with little sub-plots swirling around and everybody chattering at once. Yet the casting here is fabulous, and each player gets a chance to shine: baritone Charles Grodin (seldom without his hat) missed his chance to give a public performance; mom Alfre Woodard lost touch with her children; waitress Kyra Sedgwick left her beau hanging; and Tom Sizemore, in the film's best plot, is a thief anxious to return some valuable stamps. In the center of the happy chaos is Robert Downey, Jr., not the most subtle actor around but certainly nimble enough to tackle this physical role (he reminds one of Steve Martin in "All of Me", but this is a better picture). Good-looking, cheerful, satisfying movie doesn't have the time nor the room to flesh out a romantic sidebar with Elisabeth Shue, but that's OK because the spirits are the stars this time around. *** from ****

No one can forget this movie.

Author: movibuf1962 from Washington, DC
15 October 2003

Caution: While this story casts cynicism aside, it takes a bit of patience to follow. Downey is the only cynic in the film (at least in the beginning), but after his special encounters with four 'heavenly' strangers, his life is changed, perhaps for the better. That's the beauty of this movie. It is handled with deft physical comedy (Downey's table-tumbling at a stuffy board meeting as the result of souls invading his body is on a par with Chaplin and Keaton), but it is also one of the most loving stories with truly loving characters (even Sizemore) I've ever seen. The four vignettes with Sizemore (making a former bad deed right), Grodin (overcoming stage fright), Woodard (finding her children), and Sedgewick (tracking down the one that got away) are quite nice, even bewitching. Bewitching is the only way I can describe a moment like Woodard's recognition of a lost son or Sedgewick being granted a moment of mortal embrace- even if just for a second or two. This film will make you shed a few tears, if not downright bawl, but you'll be smiling- and that's no matter how many times you watch. So watch. Smile. Show your teeth.

Steals Your Heart; Pierces Your Soul

Author: Jerique (kris.hopson@hotmail.com) from Canada
23 January 2010

We open up the film with an introduction to Thomas Riley's soon-to-be-parents preparing for going into labour. We are then introduced to Harrison (Charles Grodin; Beethoven), a singer who has the heart and wisdom, but gets stage fright because he can't handle crowds.

We then meet Penny (Alfre Woodard; The Forgotten), a mom, struggling to find time to spend valued time with her kids between working. Following Penny is Julie (Kyra Sedgwick; "The Closer") who is working as a waitress but desperately loves her boyfriend, but passes on the chance to run away with him.

Harrison gets stage fright in his audition, Penny goes off for work, and Julie goes after her boyfriend to tell him that she is on board. They all get on the same bus, as we are introduced to Milo. Milo (Tom Sizemore: Saving Private Ryan), has stolen a kids stamps and got $50 for them, but at the thought of being a bad guy, Milo tries to steal them back. Milo fails and resorts to taking the bus along with Julie, Penny, and Harrison.

The driver of the bus gets distracted and runs off the road and kills himself and all 4 passengers. When they rise above as souls, they are dragged to the new born baby, Thomas Riley. For 7 years, they hang with Thomas, but have no idea why. When his parents and social workers believe Thomas has mental problems, they go invisible on the kid.

30 years pass and Thomas (Robert Downey Jr.; Kiss Kiss Bang Bang) is a grown man. Finally, the bus driver comes down to get them. When he arrives, the 4 souls aren't too happy to see him. He tells them what they were supposed to do. Using Thomas to complete their unfinished lives, one-by-one they all leave.

The cast itself is A-list. And the story is simply an amazing fairy tale style. With the amount of comedy and emotion that was in this movie, if you don't laugh or cry, you may need to check yourself for a soul.

There is a large "Walk Like A Man" and "Star Spangled Banner" musical number. It's a great family film. And even if you're not a kid, you'll love it as an adult and even the teens will too.

Plus it has some really great acting and special effects. Nothing wrong about this one folks.

This movie has a magical quality I can't put my finger on.

Author: abstudent26416 from Pennsylvania
19 January 2004

I especially liked the roles of Penny Washington (Alfre Woodard) and Thomas at age 7 (Eric Lloyd). It was such a warm movie with so many endearing qualities that I was drawn to it and hooked once I saw it, so much that I watched it four times in two days. It's a "feel good" movie with no lag in action; all the actors portrayed their characters well.

Page 2 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]