IMDb > The Harvest (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Harvest More at IMDbPro »

Solid mystery: low budget, good script.

Author: el_nickster from Washington, DC USA
24 March 2004

I saw this on cable, and it impressed me. Hollywood makes tons of boring thrillers, full of gunplay and mindless brutality. What I liked about this movie is that the hero goes through unusual trials to find the people that did him wrong: he doesn't just shoot and interrogate bad guys.

An author goes to Mexico for inspiration. He get seduced, get drugged, and wakes up minus one kidney. He is too obsessed with the woman who wronged him to drop the matter and fly home, however. To find her, he tangles with corrupt cops, endures his weakened state (he has just lost a kidney, after all), faces off with Mexican gangsters, and hikes through the jungle wasted on psychedelic drugs.

Not a bad film as far as these things go. There is also a hot love scene in a moving Volkswagen beetle, but I don't want to spoil that part for you.

Quality proud B movie from the early 90s

Author: Andy Roark from United States
25 February 2006

In this excellent unabashed B movie from 1993 you get to watch Miguel Ferrier and his wife turn one of the most enduring urban legends ever (guy wakes up in a bathtub of ice missing -insert body part- with instructions to call an ambulance) into a South of the Border escape covering topics from the Hollywood screen writing culture to Latin American police corruption to long term depression to child molestation to the underground gay community back to the Hollywood screen writing culture. What it lacks in production values (not much) it makes up for in heart.

This type of film was often showed on the off-brand pay movie channels in the early to mid 90s but usually centered more around the exposure of many, many nude body parts belonging to Shannon Tweed, Joan Severence or C. Thomas Howell (::shudder::). This film keeps its clothes on (and puts a dress on George Clooney, to boot) and delivers an enjoyable watching experience of pure escapist fantasy throughout which you will consistently thank God you aren't Miguel's character (when he is rolling around on the ground in pain) or curse God you aren't Miguel's character (when he is rolling around in the front seat of a Volkswagon with his insanely beautiful real life wife).

Good stuff.

Pretty good

Author: iluvg33ks from New Jersey, USA
26 June 2005

So I just saw this and I do say it was really good. Although I don't quite think someone who's just woken up minus a kidney can do all the fights that Charlie did it's really pretty good. It did stray a few times from the good path-it tried to make itself unpredictable and different, and I think it probably would have faired better if they didn't do that. I especially disliked the ending, up until the end I was quite enjoying the movie (if only for Miguel Ferrer being half naked for half the film.) I did think that for being married before the film Miguel and Leilani seemed to lack some passion, Miguel seemed very distracted during the love scenes (the only one that he has any excuse for was the one where he's supposed to be driving at the same time...). The very Dallas-esquire ending definitely messed with the movie and I think it would have most definitely faired better if it simply ended right then and there without continuing on past Charlie adding in the last lines of the script.

A well done thriller, if not improbable.

Author: Stu-5 from Western Australia
1 February 1999

A screenwriter goes to Mexico and gets his kidney stolen! Along the way, searching for that appendage which did a vanishing act, he meets a girl and they have a sexual liaison. It all spells trouble with a capital T, as he finds out that his other kidney is about to be targeted!

Miguel Ferrer, a lesser known supporting actor whom you may of seen in such flops as "Another Stakeout", "Royce", "The Stand" and "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me", does a great job as the smitten man frantically searching for the nabber of his kidney.

Another woman, dubiously surnamed "Ferrer" as well, plays the sexual interest. She was the lesbian offsider also in Basic Instinct, this girl surely does get around! Going from ice-pick crazy millionaire lesbian to kidney stealing enthusiast is a leap at both ends of the spectrum.

The intrigue builds through a plot that develops relatively devoid of action, and builds up to an abrupt climax which halts the film. But, I found myself strangely drawn to the movie. I liked it, I really did!

I hope that Miguel Ferrer makes something of himself, because seeing someone of his acting calibre would be very satisfying.

Eight out of ten.

Another reason not to drink the water

Author: cuz from Owen Sound, Ontario
21 December 1998

Charlie Pope is carrying a very valuable commodity. Is it drugs? Guns? No, it's his kidney. I kid you not! Pope (Miguel Ferrer) is a struggling movie screenwriter who travels to Mexico to use a murder case as the basis for his newest story (why doesn't he just re-write an old classic like everyone else?). His boss back in L.A. is played by Harvey Fierstein, who's out of place here as a foul-mouthed tyrant. Pope meets a gorgeous blonde and, naturally, this coupling can only spell trouble for our hero. He's knocked unconscious. The next thing he knows, he's short one kidney. Black market kidneys are apparently big business in Mexico (actually, the reason for the operation is explained at the end of the movie). Pope spends the rest of the film trying to find out who nicked his organ. Later on, he finds out they plan to take his other kidney. How's this for a promo slogan: They took his kidney...this time it's personal! He also makes out with the aforementioned young lady. The love scenes are typical of this genre, featuring overheated foreplay that leads to lacklustre slo-mo sex. During one scene, Pope fondles his partner while driving a VW Beetle. He struggles to keep his eyes on the road as she stands up through the sunroof and raises her dress. You want to yell at them, "for God's sake, stop the car and get it over with." All in all, "The Harvest" is reasonably well done. The pace never lags, and Ferrer does a good job in the lead role. It's not exactly "The Fugitive", but you could do a lot worse in the action/adventure field.

She did it for the money. We all do it for the money.

Author: lastliberal from United States
5 September 2009

This is one of those films that have a lot of characters you are familiar with, but just can't remember where, or remember their names.

But, the focus is on three people, so the rest don't matter.

I don't recall Miguel Ferrer (Traffic, "Crossing Jordan") in many leads, so it is refreshing to see him here. He is starring with his ex, Leilani Sarelle (Basic Instinct). Not hard to get some passion up here.

Ferrer is in Mexico researching a murder for a screenplay when he runs into Sarelle, who is part of a body parts harvesting team.

At least he gets his story, and it has George Clooney as a trans.

Not really a bad hour and a half.

decent little mystery,but not spectacular

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
3 February 2008

i though this was a decent little movie.it's about a writer who is sent to Mexico for inspiration,to wrote the next big story,which will hopefully be made into a movie.while in Mexico,he wakes up one morning to find one of his kidneys missing.he then discovers they want his second kidney.i didn't find this movie overly exciting,but it did keep my interest.some of the scenes stretch into implausibility and are not realistic.it's also pretty predictable for the most part,if you're paying attention.the other thing is,the movie is pretty low key.it's mot what i would call action packed or exciting.still,it was an enjoyable diversion and I've sen worse.for me,The Harvest is a 6/10

An excellent and underrated early 90's thriller gem

5 July 2007

Blocked, frustrated, Prozac-popping writer Charlie Pope (a terrific performance by Miguel Ferror in a rare juicy lead) goes to Mexico to research a script he's working on. Pope falls under the spell of sultry, alluring lass Natalie Caldwell (wonderfully played by the incredibly hot Leilani Sarelle, who's Ferror's former wife) and winds up having one of his kidneys stolen. Pope gets himself in further jeopardy when he tries to find out who's responsible. Writer/director David Marconi concocts one doozy of a moody and offbeat modern-day film noir thriller which offers a strong and provocative subtext on art vs. commerce, the grueling rigors of the creative process, the lengths one's willing to go for one's art, and suffering for one's art. Emmanuel Lubezki's slick, sparkling cinematography and Rich Boston's funky, flavorsome score both add an extra tasty zing to the vivid and tangibly sordid south-of-the-border atmosphere. The sterling cast rates as another substantial asset: Harvey Fierstein as sleazy Hollywood agent Bob Larkin, Anthony John Denison as the treacherous Noel Guzmann, Henry Silva as brutish, hard-nosed police chief Topo, Tim Thomerson as seedy hotel proprietor Steve Mobley, Matt Clark as amiable farmhand Hank, and George Clooney as a singing transvestite in a gay bar. A shamefully neglected sleeper.

great soundtrack

Author: chizor from SF, CA, US
26 November 2002

three things stand out for me regarding _the harvest_.

first, the tagline is ridiculous. this IMDB page shows a different phrase, but here's what's on the case: "They stole one of his kidneys... and told him he would survive with only one... Now, they want that one too." oh my.

secondly, george clooney as a mexican transvestite is a fairly tight arrangement. great imagery.

third is the excellent soundtrack, on the now defunct world domination records. led by dave allen (gang of four) and rick boston (low pop suicide), it also has a few tracks from their labelmates. the result is stylistically broad. the theme song, "one by one", is a duet between rick and belinda carlisle. great musicianship and ambience throughout.

a good one

Author: mattkratz (themattk@hotmail.com) from Richardson, TX
1 April 2001

Good suspense and writing anchor this otherwise routine thriller about a writer who lives out the urban legend of waking up without a kidney while investigating a series of murders in Mexico. He soon finds himself running for his life. (and his other kidney!) Average at best, you might like it. Miguel Ferrer gives a good performance.

** 1/2 out of ****