IMDb > Grumpy Old Men (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Grumpy Old Men

Grumpy Old Men More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

One of the 10 funniest films of all time.

Author: Clint Ford from Dallas, Texas
5 November 2001

I write this in 2001. Sadly, at this time, all three of the "Grumpy Old Men" (Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau, and Burgess Meredith) have now passed on. But this film will show that some of your best work can come in your golden years.

I first saw "Grumpy Old Men" against protest. Though I'd heard of its legacy at being "SO funny!"-- I rebelled against the idea of seeing two foul old guys yelling at each other. One night, my parents rented it-- and I happened to be staying at their house that night-- so I popped it in the VCR and watched it.

I went to bed in pain that night because my abdomen was sore from laughing so hard. It took over 3 hours for me to watch the whole movie because I kept rewinding and watching the funniest parts over and over again.

Though the movie stars all VERY-seasoned and excellent actors & actresses-- one tends to forget that... and only sees "John and Max" going at it again. It's a fifty-year fight between these two mischievous old bags of hot-air. The movie becomes more exciting as it progresses-- because you get to wonder who's going to strike next and humiliate the other... Gustafson or Goldman?

Aside from a wonderful story line and script, there are some very memorable one-liners and quotes from both this and "Grumpier Old Men" (the sequel). The soundtrack is sprinkled with wonderful old songs, along with festive polka songs to set the atmosphere for the town of Wabasha, Minnesota-- a small Swedish-settlement in the North.

If you've not seen this movie, and you have a great sense of humor-- do yourself the favor of renting "Grumpy Old Men". It's a heart-warming, happy film that leaves you feeling good after seeing it. God rest all the souls of the stars of this film that are now no longer with us-- but enjoy one of their last gifts to us before they left.

A very fun and sweet film

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
9 December 2006

I don't know why, but I recently had Grumpy Old Men stuck in my head, I saw it when I was 8 years old with my grandparents, but I figured that I should watch it again before I would comment on it, since your opinion changes when you grow up. So, I rented both Grumpy Old Men and Grumpier Old Men and I was excited to see a decent rating on IMDb, and I love Walter Matthau, so this was a film to look forward too. Well, I finished it this morning and I have to say that it had it's good laughs along with a very heart warming story for the holidays.

John and Max are two former friends turned enemies and have been feuding for a long time, we don't really know why at the beginning of the film. When they see a new neighbor moving in on the street, a very attractive older woman named Ariel. Now the boys have something new to fight over and are competing for her love. But it almost drives them crazy how much they keep playing tricks on each other and can they realize that it's finally time to grow up and act their ages or will they stay as grumpy old men?

This was a very charming and lovely movie that could melt anyone's heart and make them laugh at the same time. I really do miss the comedies like this since a lot of films are more aimed for a younger generation, I may be 21, but I need the grown up comedies just as well as the one's for today, we need a balance, you know? But I would highly recommend Grumpy Old Men for a little laugh and a good film to watch for an afternoon.

The Actors are Mortal, The Comedy Eternal

Author: xflrocks (xflrocks@mac.com) from PA, USA
14 July 2002

The opening credits in this film roll to the tune of "Heat Wave", and it was during a recent heat wave that I dusted off my well-worn copy of "Grumpy Old Men" and settled in to once again watch the first of four movies that made up the "second coming" of the Jack Lemmon/Walter Matthau team. To those who have not yet seen the movie, (yes, there may be a few) it was set (and filmed) in snowy Minnesota, which give the film an authentic small town feel that the talented set designers of Hollywood would be hard pressed to duplicate. From the stars' first lines in the film ("'Morning ****head", "Hello moron") we know what to expect, and the movie doesn't disappoint us. The verbal sparring between Max and John continues non-stop through 100+ laugh filled minutes. Both the plot and the ending are not quite believable, but who really cares? For those who want reality, there are many depressing films out there, not to mention the news- papers and CNN. I have never read if all the cast members were the first choices for the parts, but every one of the cast fits their roles perfectly. Ann-Margret has evolved from her dancing, grinding "sexpot" image in the 60's to a wonderful, natural actress. Burgess Meredith....what can I say? He's perfect as John's father, a crusty, lovable old man. The interplay between Jack and Burgess is so easy, and why not? Who better to play a 94 year old than the 80+ year old Meredith. While Burgess is lovable, Daryl Hannah is lovely. As John's daughter Melanie, I have never seen her look more beautiful and heart-melting as she does in this picture. Ozzie Davis, Kevin Pollak, and Buck Henry round out the cast, and bring their many talents to the picture. While much has been written about the comedy, very little is said about the realistic side of "Grumpy Old Men". There are a few fleeting scenes that reveal the heartache and loneliness of growing old. And John's dealings with the I.R.S. in the movie, while hilarious, points out what can happen when the machine-like IRS process starts to roll over an individual not caring about the human-real life side of the situation. The only "downer" for me in again watching this movie is the knowlege that the string is over. Walter and Jack and Burgess are gone. I can't watch this movie without feeling just a tinge of sorrow. When most actors their age pass on, we feel sorrow, and then watch their classics from decades ago. With Walter and Jack the best was yet to come. I have read elsewhere that scripts were in the works for "Grumpy Old Men 3" and "Odd Couple 3". Who knows how many more successful films this brilliant team could have made together. I doubt if the formula for their success would have grown stale, because both Walter and Jack no longer acted....their roles where just an extension of themselves.

Whether it be Grumpy or Grumpier Old Men, "Odd Couple II", or "Out to Sea" we were as much visiting with old friends as we were watching a movie. Old friends get more endearing with age, and we would have never tired of new visits from them, no matter what the role. Burgess, Jack, and Walter.....wherever you are...thanks for the laughs you've given us over the years. You made us feel good, which is the best epitaph anyone could wish for.

A family reunion

Author: annmason1 from Bellingham, WA
1 August 2005

It is sad to watch this wonderful film and realize that most of the actors in it are dead. Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau, Burgess Meredith, Ozzie Davis...all fine men whose loss to movie goers is felt- at least by this one. Ann-Margret, Darryl Hannah, Kevin Pollak, while still among us, are also perfect for their parts.

Every time I watch "Grumpy Old Men" I sense the camaraderie and fun the cast and crew must have had in making it. It is a family reunion, and the audience is the more fortunate for being invited.

Thank you all for braving the Minnesota winter to remind us of snow angels and tea tree oil; of old friends and Thanksgivings shared; of warmth in the deepest cold.

Review Of "Grumpy Old Men"

Author: compi24 from United States
14 December 2011

"Grumpy Old Men" is a 1993 Donald Petrie film about two feuding old men (Lemmon, Matthau) who step up their game to woo their new neighbor (Ann-Margret). Let me start off by saying that I love both Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon and I have heard of how the two of them are often paired together on film. This is the first film I've seen with the both of them in it and I can tell why they were paired together here. The chemistry between Matthau and Lemmon is really noticeable throughout this film - they really love working with each other. Everyone else's performances were also very well done. The movie was also pretty funny overall, but what surprised me the most was that this film featured some very touching and heartwarming scenes within it. Honestly, I can say that this movie surprised me all together. I thought I was only going to get a 90 minute film of two old men swearing at each other. What I got was that, but with very great acting, subplot development, tonal diversity, and more. "Grumpy Old Men" is a film that I watched with a genuine smile on my face.

What a great situation, and great acting, in a fast little farce.

Author: secondtake from United States
31 August 2010

Grumpy Old Men (1993)

The set-up is so funny, and it's so great to see Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau at it again, you have to laugh even though the jokes are often more silly than funny. It's a feel-good drama despite all the hysterics. Maybe the best moments are Burgess Meredith as Lemmon's father, delivering crude old man lines with enough raw disregard for everything to sink a ship. "Did you mounter her?" he asks his elderly son.

Obviously a hit enough to lead to "Grumpier Old Men" two years later, also funny but less fresh. And check out the Meredith outtakes on YouTube--just type his name and look for the "Grumpier Old Men" clip.

A feel good comedy

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
6 July 2000

This is a good movie because it is a feel good movie. We see the characters and we don't feel that bad about ourselves. Another Lemmon and Matthau film, where this time they are two old guys in Minnesota. Content, until a woman (Ann-Margaret) is the apple of they're eyes. Great fun, especially from Burgess Meredith, who is hilarious as Lemmon's dirty talking father who is even funnier in the out-takes. A

Geezers in love

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
21 October 2012

After a hiatus of over a decade Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau came gloriously back in parts to suit their senior citizen status in Grumpy Old Men. They may move a little slower, but their comic timing hasn't slowed up one bit.

The setting is a small town in Minnesota where these two old neighbors and widowers have this rivalry going back for years. Next to the ice fishing which they and apparently everyone else enjoys during the winter, their favorite pastime is cracking wise and playing jokes to one up the other. One thing that has slowed up is their libidos.

But that's about to change when Ann-Margret moves across the street. The sight of a pretty woman right on the block is all these two old geezers need to get into action.

As for Ann-Margret she's a free spirit of sorts who's flattered with the attention. Matthau has another friend in high places, his son Kevin Pollak is elected mayor of their town. Lemmon has a daughter played by Darryl Hannah and a grandson and she's married to Christopher McDonald, but they're estranged. The kids like each other and both of their fathers.

Lemmon also has tax problems, he owes some big bucks to the IRS and the villain in Grumpy Old Men is tax man, a most officious Buck Henry. The IRS is an agency everyone hates because it's the only place where you really are guilty until proved innocent in the USA. What happens to Lemmon is all too true. I myself could tell you stories of the IRS problems I've had through no fault of my own. I never owed as much as Lemmon did however and all due to an accounting error while Lemmon was filing jointly with his wife when she was still alive over a decade earlier. Some eager beaver auditor at IRS caught it and the interest and penalties compounded have him ready to lose his house.

I also have to note the presence of another pair of old geezers in the cast, Ossie Davis and Burgess Meredith. Davis owns a convenience store and in the opinion of Lemmon charges outrageously for bait during the ice fishing season. And Meredith is Lemmon's nonagenarian father who is past the age of caring what anyone thinks of him or his opinions.

Grumpy Old Men is a wonderful film for the elderly. Now that I'm at the age of Lemmon's and Matthau's character, I can enjoy this now more than ever. For Geezers of all ages.

Great fun for seniors and juniors

Author: Petri Pelkonen (petri_pelkonen@hotmail.com) from Finland
13 November 2000

John Gustafson (Jack Lemmon) and Max Goldman (Walter Matthau) are neighbors living in snowy Minnesota who have been fighting with each other for several years.Then a lovely widow called Ariel Truax (Ann-Margret) moves to the street.That means competition between John and Max.Grumpy Old Men from 1993 is great fun for seniors and juniors.I'm only 18 but I'm getting older all the time.Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau were great together.Unfortunately Walter died to a heart attack last July at the age of 79.There are also some other great actors in the movie, including Ossie Davis, Daryl Hannah and Kevin Pollak.Burgess Meredith (1909-1997) is brilliant playing Lemmon's father in the movie.Grumpy Old Men is a heart warming comedy with lots of terrific scenes with Lemmon and Matthau.Don't miss the bloopers during credits.And don't miss this movie.

Classic Matthau and Lemmon

Author: au_law2001 from Philippines
14 January 2005

This is an instant classic and a very recognizable film of the two, that if you ask someone about them, they will always mention this. A grreat and memorable role of the two, and and very hilarious, you'll want to see it again. They are a bunch of bumbling and feuding neighbors, who are in love with the same woman. Every scene with them in this one is unforgettable and outrageously funny. Especially the scenes with Matthau, with the fishing pole that sinks into the ice, he screams loud. An unforgettable scream and very funny too. He does the same when Ann Margaret drops the big fish before he can get a shot of it, and again when he discovers the dried fish that Jack Lemmon put in his car without him noticing it, and I like his line there, "ya shmuck!" That was funny. Boy those two are really funny, but at the same time they know how to make dramatic scenes that are almost teary, and sometimes serious and heart-warming ones, but they still become funny at the end and seem to keep it like that. Recommended to all fans of the two.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]