IMDb > Great Moments in Aviation (1994) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Great Moments in Aviation (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Robust acting outshines the story line

Author: karamlinda from United States
23 March 2005

Redgrave, Pryce, Tutin and the younger actors all give virtually flawless performances in this somewhat original but unevenly written tale. While the story has some good lines, the suspense does not hold. The marvelous character actors haul the script along. Ms. Ayola as the buoyant, aspiring aviator is particularly compelling. There's a surprising, touching scene between Redgrave and Tutin when they discover that their collegiality has blossomed into love -- Vanessa sensually licking a spoon evokes a laugh. If you think, as I, that films are worth seeing for good performances, this one will not disappoint.

great imagery, great music, just OK story

Author: Kim Trotto from United States
3 August 2013

Perhaps my idea of what constitutes a "made for TV" move is marred by what I'd grown used to before HBO and other cable networks added a bit of class to the genre. So I was still surprised to learn this movie was 'one of those.' Shades of Fear is graphically gorgeous despite all the action taking place on a passenger ship. Better even than Titanic, which naturally was mainly grandiose. And the music! God, where can I get it? No soundtrack released as far as I know. As for the story. Well, it was mostly wise sayings and a quickly solved mystery. Gabriel Angel's personal impediment to love was resolved too quickly to make sense. Still, I liked it. I give it a B+.

Has Its Moments (slight spoilers)

Author: Jennel2 from Arizona
2 August 2003

Perhaps the video title ("Shades of Fear") and plot summary are a bit deceptive, and designed to lure fans of Agatha Christie style mysteries. However, I was impressed with the script's comic tone, and the dialog, which mostly avoided cliches. The directness of some of the dialog was undercut, a couple of times, by a conventional use of swelling music during dramatic, confessional scenes; and some of the character developments were a bit too pat. The missionaries played by Redgrave and Tutin, for instance, confessing their sensual affection for each other, after years of denial was a bit much. Not for those looking for a traditional British chamber mystery, but rewarding for other reasons: the acting (especially John Hurt's performance), the very good photography (rarely has food been so lovingly depicted by the camera), decent period atmosphere aboard the ocean liner (loved the little extra touches like the horses in the cargo hold), and the somewhat unconventional protagonist. A bit too much like a Hallmark greeting card at the end, but interesting and enjoyable for the most part.

A big disappointment

Author: anonymous
13 July 1999

Despite what the blurbs say, the story's focus is a young girl from Grenada traveling to England who wants a pilot's license. The art forgery is a very minor sub-plot. If you like her character, you'll probably like the movie despite the weak story line, but I just couldn't get that interested. I felt I wasted my time watching this.