IMDb > Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Gojira vs. Mekagojira

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II More at IMDbPro »Gojira vs. Mekagojira (original title)

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Toho's BEST Godzilla film!

Author: atc from Paso Robles, California
20 September 1998

The 1993 version of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla is one of the best "kaiju" (giant monster) films ever made and is an action-packed, exciting film in general. Full of great effects as well as drama and fun, this film delivers where other films of its type fall flat. For the price of admission, you get Godzilla, the updated version of Rodan, the new and improved MechaGodzilla and the introduction of Baby Godzilla. Not to be missed not only by Godzilla fans, but any serious science fiction/fantasy lover.

Trashing the giant tin can

Author: unbrokenmetal from Hamburg, Germany
6 September 2003

Godzilla has a really busy time again: fighting the winged Radon, trashing a huge tin can named Mechagodzilla, and looking for his baby. The little monster is as cute as his predecessor in `Gojira No Mosuko', but better designed, with evil glowing red eyes. One novelty in the 90s Godzilla movies is the creation of a special group of experts called `G Force' who try not to let Godzilla wreck Japan as badly again as he did in the 60s. With little success, though - to sum it up, not one of the best movies of the series, but a good deal of chaos and destruction again. Voted 6/10.

Modern Technology vs Mother Nature.

Author: kevinxirau from United States
11 February 2012

Toho was on a role bringing back some of their famous monsters to costar with Godzilla throughout the 90s. First King Ghidorah, then Mothra, and now not one but three classic characters: Baby Godzilla, Rodan, and, of course, Mechagodzilla. What results is a full on monster war!

Plot: By reverse-engineering futuristic technology from the remains of Mecha-King Ghidorah, the Japanese government creates what they believe is the ultimate anti-Godzilla weapon: Mechagodzilla! Meanwhile, scientists recover an egg from a Pteranodon nest only for the egg to hatch later and out comes Baby Godzilla, who sees one of the scientists as its mother. With this baby hatched, both Godzilla and Rodan are out to retrieve it as their own and Mechagodzilla is sent in to take them both out. Will Godzilla/Rodan succeed in their mission or will Baby Godzilla end up being orphaned?

The dilemma of this entire situation makes for a great story as loyalties and logics are pitted against each other between man and monster alike. It causes the viewer to choose sides and that makes this movie even more great. The action scenes are awesome as these monsters really beat the living crap out of each other and the surrounding environment gets torn apart by their very might. The suit designs and puppets are pretty good, particularly Baby Godzilla who's able to express certain emotions. The music is absolutely impressive, which complements how intense the action is and how emotional some of the interactions between characters is. Human characters are at least likable, from the scientists to Miki Saegusa, the psychic who empathizes Godzilla and his son.

My only complaint seems to be Mechagodzilla being a little too powerful like in his first movie. Other than that, this is one of the best and most iconic entries in the Godzilla series. It has everything you'd expect in a film like this: great action, wonderful music, character development, and, of course, lots of explosions. Definitely recommended that you check this flick out. All hail the King of the Monsters!

Reintroducing Great Monsters.

Author: jerekra from United States
9 December 2008

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla is another Hesei Film that reintroduces some classic Godzilla Monsters. Overall it is a great action packed film with a great story as well.

A new weopon is created, Mechagodzilla, to battle Godzilla. Meanwhile a expedition to an island discovers a glowing egg. That night a giant flying reptile, Rodan, attacks the groups camp and goes after the egg. Godzilla appears and does battle with Rodan, and Rodan is killed. THe egg later hatches into a little Godzilla and attracts Godzilla towards Japan. Mechagodzilla is sent to do battle with Godzilla, but will it be able to stop him? This time Mechagodzilla is not the villain. Rather than being an instrument of destruction used by aliens to destroy Earth, Mechagodzilla is a machine created by humans to stop Godzilla. I like how Godzilla gets to be the bad guy and Mechagodzilla is the good guy. A sort of role reversal from the Showa Series to the Hesei Series.

Mechagodzilla has an impressive arsenal. Mega buster in his mouth, laser cannons in his eyes, rockets, electrical shock cables, and armor that absords Godzillas heat ray and uses it as a power source for a powerful energy beam. Wow. THis arsenal is amazing. Definitely one of the most powerful monsters ever in a Godzilla film.

Rodan gets to show up too, another great monster. Rodan however is the same size as he was in the showa series so unlike Godzilla, Mechagodzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah who get larger in the Hesei Series, Rodan is the same size as he was so he is a bit smaller than Godzilla. I guess they wanted to portray him as a light fast monster. Rodan looks really cool in this film. HE gets a Pteranadon style face that looks evil. Eventually in this film he turns into Fire Rodan and gets to fire a uranium heat beam. So Rodan gets in a lot of good action and is a great addition to the film.

Also a baby godzilla is in this film. It is pretty cool and acts like a young dinosaur. Unlike Minya from the Showa Series this baby is not just a joke and it actually looks like Godzilla.

Monster action is in abundance. Lots of awesome energy weopons lighting up the screen. Loads of destruction. Nature vs Man. Nothing beats it.

THis is one of the best of the Hesei Series, along with Godzilla vs Biolante. Mechagodzilla and Rodan both are in it. Awesome. A must see.

Toho Monsters Rule!

Author: OllieSuave-007 from California, USA
26 November 2000

One of the top 10 grossing Godzilla films. Though no new monsters were introduced, this movie brought back Godzilla and updated versions of Rodan, Mechagodzilla and the Son of Godzilla. Rodan looks excellent and his action sequences were executed well. He's quicker and even gets to spit radioactive beams.

Instead of a space alien (referring back to 1974's Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla), Mechagodzilla is the ultimate weapon created by G-Force to defeat Godzilla. The Son of Godzilla returns as BabyGodzilla, looking more dinosaur-like and closely resembling Godzilla more.

It is notable that many past Godzilla movie actors appear in this movie. Actor Tadao Takashima (from 1962's King Kong vs. Godzilla) made a cameo appearance as Chief Hosono, director of the psychic institute. Actor Kenji Sahara (from 1956's Rodan) starred as Minister Segawa, director of the defense force. Actress Megumi Odaka returned as psychic Miki Saegusa, as well as Keiko Imanura and Sayaka Osawa (both appeared as the Cosmos in this film's prequel).

Miki befriended Godzilla and BabyGodzilla and told the commanders of G-Force to let the monsters be. However, she was forced to be among the crew in Mechagodzilla so she can use her psychic powers to locate Godzilla's secondary brain and destroy it. BabyGodzilla was used as bait to lure Godzilla to Tokyo. What follows are action-packed monster sequences - some of the best in the series.

This film has a plain plot, but the excessive scenes of the monsters and the colorful characters made this an enjoyable movie. You could see the interiors of the G-Force building and the psychic institute. Composer Akira Ifukube gave another spectacular music score, providing us one of his most memorable marches - the G-Force March. He used a lot of his music from 1964's Godzilla vs. Mothra and 1991's Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. When you watch his film closely, you could catch a brief scan of Tokyo Disneyland when Rodan flies over it (it is notable that Tokyo Disneyland opened in 1983 and this movie was released in 1993, marking 10 years of the theme park's anniversary).

With five monsters appearing (one of the most in a "Heisei" Godzilla movie), this movie is not to be missed by any Sci-Fi fans.

Grade A-

Godzilla's best Heisei movie PERIOD.

Author: Neochriszilla from Norfolk, Virginia
4 April 2004

This is one of Godzilla's greatest movies EVER. This was supposed to be Godzilla's final movie and it would have been a heckuva finish to this series. Akira Ifukube's music is incredible and some of the best in his career. The SPFX are great and are some of Koichi Kawakita's best. the plot is great and is one of the best of the series. Notice how I'm using the word "best" a lot? Mechagodzilla, Rodan, Godzilla, and Baby Godzilla all look great and they look realistic as possible. This is by far Godzilla's BEST Heisei movie ever and is one of my personal favs. I love this movie and I give it a perfect 10 stars. if there is one other great Godzilla movie, it's Godzilla Vs. Gigan. Fans who love Godzilla will LOVE Godzilla VS. Mechagodzilla.

How come he didn't have his finger missiles?

Author: Aaron1375
22 February 2004

This one was really good...I finally saw it after many missed chances. This Godzilla movie had more action than some of the other ones made in the 90's and it also had multiple battles as well. This special force has made a robot version of Godzilla to protect Japan from the real one. Complications arise as a giant flying dinosaur also appears as well as a strange egg. The flying dinosaur seems to be Rodan, but they call it Radon here. Maybe this is what it was meant to be called back in the days? The egg ends up being a baby Godzilla and scientist stupidly bring it into a city and of course not only does Godzilla come for it, but so does Radon. MechaGodzilla though pretty much tears Godzilla apart in their first meeting using its various weapons (I was disappointed when it did not have its finger missiles like the one from the earlier movies), unfortunately it malfunctions and it can not continue the fight. They devise a new plan that involves another ship to combine with MechaGodzilla to form a Super-MechaGodzilla. There is also a rather dumb point of Godzilla having two brains and apparently the second one is in his butt (no joke). All in all a really good Godzilla flick with just a couple of flaws. Lots of action as well.

The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test.

Author: m_mould (m_mould@hotmail.com) from Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, England
23 May 2000

This is one of the best Heisei offerings from Toho. Whereas Gojira VS Mosura (1992) was mainly for the girls, this one's really for the boys. It's got mechas, kaiju and even a touch of gore. What's more, BabyGodzilla is a definite improvement of Minya. It's more dinosaurian than its 60's counterpart. I think this MechaGodzilla is much better than its 70's self. The Plasma Grenade weapon is much more devestating than those rotating missile fingers the original MechaG had. A nice return for Rodan, too. A lovely "guest" appearance from Mecha King Ghidora. And what of Gojira himself? I looove that new breath weapon of his courtesy of Rodan. I demand that Aoki guy be killed. And Miki Saegusa stands up for Gojira's rights, but who pushes the button to destroy Gojira's second brain in his spine? Hmm, let's see...

Yes? What's that? Godzilla's attacking the city?

Author: Ben Larson from Leesburg, FL
16 May 2014

OMG! We have a little Godzillasaurus, and momma is coming for her baby, flattening everything in the way.

After Godzilla leaves empty handed, the G-Force is to use the baby inside their new Mechagodzilla to attract Godzilla and Radon.

I have to say that things have really gotten futuristic in the almost twenty years of Godzilla.

G-Force's new Mechagodzilla is clearly the eye-catcher in this film, and he is really well done. He can shoot great beams out of his mouth like his role model, and when he launches his rocket nozzles and takes off, then we rally get the testosterone raised as we would love to be the pilot of this giant beast.

This is definitely one of the most successful films of the Godzilla series.

Godzilla, A Robotic Godzilla, A Pteranadon on Steroids, and a mini-Godzilla: How Could I Doze Off With All This?

Author: John Panagopoulos (japamo@hotmail.com) from Malden, MA
24 September 2013

Actually, I think I know why I dozed off during "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II" (hereafter GVMGII). I have never been a night owl. My concentration and attention span plummet after 9:00 p.m. Taking a chance, I watched GVMGII on Encore at 10:00 p.m. thinking that the standard Toho bizarre plot and monster encounters would keep me interested. No such luck. Off and on throughout the movie, I dozed off and probably missed some crucial plot points.

I stayed awake long enough to learn that the latest Mechagodzilla incarnation originated from a Japanese organization called G-Force (with a sleek United Nations-like logo) whose sole aim is to destroy Godzilla. It was certainly an impressive tower of steel - the Inspector Gadget of giant robots - with armaments and features guaranteed to bring the big lizard down. However, before the veteran foes meet, GVMGII begins with some scientists and explorers discovering two mammoth eggs on a desolate isle. One has already hatched into the colossal pteranodon Rodan (Radon in Japanese). Before Rodan can attack the human party, a radiation blast emerges from the ocean and nearly fries the flying reptile. Then Godzilla emerges and the two ancient enemies tussle. With this distraction, the scientists/explorers abscond with the other, unhatched egg and place it in a laboratory for analysis. It hatches, not into another Rodan, but inexplicably into a creepily cute miniature version of Godzilla, which imprints onto a female scientist, who takes to her mommy duties and calls the infant "Baby".

After that, I became sketchy on the details. I remember a bumbling pteranodon expert (with a pteranodon-shaped jet cycle) attempting to become a G-Force member. I remember learning that G-Force planned to paralyze Godzilla by shooting some type of electric harpoon into its "second brain" within its hips. I recall that in its first encounter, Mechagodzilla's atomic invulnerability, flight, and electrical powers have Godzilla on the ropes until the robot duplicate malfunctions and freezes and Godzilla just pushes it over. I recall Godzilla going down for the count from the electric harpoon until Rodan lies on top of him and scatters "monster pixie dust" to revive him. I remember G-Force using the frightened "Baby" as bait for - Godzilla and maybe Rodan, I guess. Finally, I remember "Baby" following foster father Godzilla into the ocean at the end.

After reading some of the GVMGII posts here, I learned that Rodan and Godzilla were fighting for "parental rights" for Baby. It seems confusing to me. Why would one egg hatch out Rodan, and the other a mini-Godzilla? Did Godzilla lay the second egg somehow? Also, it seems funny to me that Godzilla is impervious to just about every human weapon, including atomic, but can be pierced by a relatively simple harpoon like a whale. Also, for the record, no animal has a "second brain" in its hips. The "second brain" is actually known as a ganglion, which is a mass of nerves that coordinates movements of an animal's hind legs and tail. Also, is it a good idea to let "Baby" follow Godzilla into the deep? This is just what Japan needs - another future Godzilla waiting in the wings.

I'm not letting my tendency to doze off at night prejudice me against GVMGII. It's the usual Toho monster-fighting insanity and illogic leavened by an awesome robotic Godzilla counterpart plus a bit of family care and devotion.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]