IMDb > The Fugitive (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Fugitive

The Fugitive More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 27: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Director's commentary adds insight

Author: Jimmy L. from Upstate New York
23 May 2015

On first viewing, I found THE FUGITIVE (1993) to be a slick mid-'90s thriller. A larger-than-life story of the wrongfully convicted man-on-the-run, hellbent on proving his innocence and bringing his wife's killer to justice. But the DVD audio commentary by director Andrew Davis greatly enhanced my appreciation of the film.

What's most impressive is the amount of dialogue that was ad-libbed, particularly by Tommy Lee Jones and his posse of U.S. Marshals. In order to produce a sense of spontaneity, the actors were encouraged to understand their characters' motivations and then work out their lines together on-set, instead of adhering strictly to the written script. This allowed the actors to make the characters their own and made the interplay more natural. This surely contributed to Tommy Lee Jones's Oscar victory for his colorful performance.

The production also strove for realism wherever possible. For the train crash scene, they crashed a full-size train. Director Andrew Davis, a Chicago native, made use of authentic Chicago locations. He snuck footage during the real Chicago St. Patrick's Day parade and opted to use a real office interior, with a real view of the city, rather than a phony backdrop. Tommy Lee Jones rode in a real helicopter and Harrison Ford drove a real ambulance. Movie-making is all about storytelling and filmmakers work hard to create illusions. Nowadays it's possible to do anything using digital special effects. So it's impressive to see a big action thriller like THE FUGITIVE make the movie "for real".

Richly entertaining.

Author: orourkec-292-269155 from Belgium
18 May 2015

The good things about The Fugitive, first of all, are its leading actors. I liked both Tommy Lee Jones and Harrison Ford in this movie. Not only did I think they played well, but I also thought that they were well matched together in this movie and that they had smart chemistry. The use of settings is another admirable thing in the movie, and that includes the sewers and the St. Patrick Parade. When my mind connects sewers and St. Patrick Parade to the plot of an innocent fugitive being tracked down by the authorities, I'm thinking "Nothing better. I like it. I truly do. I think it matches the plot in a smart way.". Talking about sewers, Harrison Ford's character's daring jump into the water from out of the sewers at a formidable height, I thought was one hell of a masterful scene act and a scene act worth remembering for decades to come. It's without any doubt the absolute best scene act I've ever seen in movies in my life, and the best scene act of the entire film. However, what I liked the most about this film is its pacing. The pacing in The Fugitive is superb and a pure master's work. Furthermore, I thought that the movie had nice charm, a nicely developed story, enough drama and tension, a few good surprises and a flawless scenes structure. Short reflection on The Fugitive: what an enjoyable and impactive ride. The Fugitive is the kind of film that leaves you wowed after you finish watching it. I'm glad to have watched this movie, and I worship it. Because of all the good things I said about the film, for me The Fugitive deserves to stand as a classic. My rating for The Fugitive: 7.5/10

Watch out... You may just gnaw your fingers off.

Author: Rich Wright
14 April 2015

An all-time classic chase thriller with an equally compelling character study, The Fugitive ranks as one of the best examples of it's genre around. As dogged detective Tommy Lee Jones hunts his prey (an innocent doctor, played by Harrison Ford) through hospitals, street parades, and even the Hoover Dam, the interaction between the two and the amount of near misses will have you falling off the edge of your seat. And there is also Ford's quest to prove his inculpability in the murder of his wife... Jones's bonding with his hand-picked investigation team... Exactly how much can you squeeze into a two hour long feature?!

My favourite aspect of the production isn't the brilliantly directed scenes of pursuit, or the slow unveiling of who WAS responsible for the tragic crime, or even Harrison Ford as the wronged man who nevertheless stops to help others even while on the run (Thus engaging him perfectly with the audience's sympathies). Nope, that would be Tommy Lee Jones as the bombastic police office in charge of the capture... He is never short of something to say... Doesn't take crap from anyone... And (most of all), the small looks in his eyes as the evidence mounts that Ford may not be the one responsible for his spouse's demise after all. He turns from the man trying to get Ford at all costs... To the only one willing to protect him in the heated climax...

A great character, brought to life by a great actor. Someone give that chap an Oscar... Whoops, he received one. WOWEE Life Is Good. :) 8/10

Above Average Crowd Pleaser...Excellent Cast…Very Good but Not Great

Author: LeonLouisRicci from United States
12 April 2015

Based on a Very Popular TV Show from the Early Sixties (a Quinn Martin Production), it Ranks with The Untouchables (also a Quinn Martin Production), as Not Only Quality TV, but Two TV Series that were Uncommonly a Commercial and Critical Success when Brought to the Big Screen.

You Have Harrison Ford as Dr. Richard Kimble, Tommy Lee Jones as Gerrard, and a Good Director, Andrew Davis, Combining with a Very Good Supporting Cast that All Contribute to this Above Average if Not Great, Action Suspenser.

It's Long, has a Bit of Difficulty Maintaining the High Intensity, but In the End it Works More than it Doesn't. There are Some Clever Twists and the Story is Padded (from the TV Show) with a Big-Pharma Put Down.

Overall, One of the Few Movies of its Type that is a Winner Without Explosions, Overbaked Shoot-Outs, and a F-Word Infected Script. A Big Hit at the Box Office and at the Academy, and Fans of the Two Stars are Generally Quite Pleased with it. Fans of the TV Show are Mixed.

The original one arm Gerard (dad)

Author: leplatypus from PariS
18 December 2014

I expected a dull action movie and in fact, it's rather good. First, the choice of the Chicago region is cool as it mixes the nature and an authentic city, traits that can't afford NYC (no nature) or LA (no city). Next, Harrison is always excellent playing an overtaken but pugnacious doctor (see « frantic », « what lies… ») and Jones brings a surprising but cool side to a unpleasant job. Sure, the story has a lot of improbabilities (why didn't Harrison manage to prove his innocence at the trial for example) and the last sequence in the hotel is a bit boring. But the idea of this running innocent man is really punchy and it's easy to understand why it was a TV show at the beginning.

Brooks--The Fugitive Review

Author: rbrooksie12 from United States
11 August 2014

The Fugitive is a great movie based on the 1960s television series of the same name. The performances of both Tommy Lee Jones as Deputy Girard and Harrison Ford as Dr. Richard Kimble are great, but it is Jones who gives the best performance. He well-deservingly won the Best Supporting Actor for 1993 in the Academy Awards that year.

Dr. Richard Kimble is wrongly accused of murdering his wife. He is sent to jail, but when a security guard is stabbed and another one is unconscious, Kimble uses that chance to run away from the law. The great thing about this is that Kimble is not running away to be free, but he is running away to solve the crime. Tommy Lee Jones plays Deputy Samuel Girard who is trying to track down Kimble. He has one run-in with Kimble, but Kimble gets away.

The movie is great, and in my opinion it is one of the best films of 1993. There are however a few things about this film which are ridiculous. First, when Kimble is driving the ambulance and Girard and his men are going after him and they trap him in a tunnel. Despite at least ten marshals going after Kimble, he manages to crawl into the sewer without one of them seeing him. Also, when Kimble is in the sewer and Girard and his men are going after him in the sewer and Girard finds him and has him trapped and Kimble jumps approximately 100 feet off of a dam and survives. I mean come on can this really happen? Also, when Kimble is walking up the street and a woman stops next to him and asks him if he wants a ride. Would you go up to a stranger and ask for a ride? These things are minor things and would not affect your viewing on the film, but these are things that you stop and ask yourself can this really happen? This is a great movie and if you have never seen this movie and are fans of Ford and Jones or action films I encourage you to check out.

Superb Version Of TV Series.

Author: AaronCapenBanner from North America
2 December 2013

Andrew Davis directed this surprisingly superb cinema version of the classic TV series that had starred David Janssen as Dr. Richard Kimble, and Barry Morse as Lt. Philip Gerard, his pursuer. This time, Harrison Ford plays the wrongfully convicted Dr. Kimble, who was found guilty of murdering his wife Helen(played by Sela Ward) despite it being the work of a one-armed man(played by Andreas Katsulas) After his train derails in an escape attempt gone wrong, Kimble becomes a fugitive, as he relentlessly tries to hide from authorities led by U.S. Marshal Samuel Gerard(played by Tommy Lee Jones) and uncover the true killer, which ends up not being just a simple burglary gone wrong... Well acted and written film has incredible action scenes and suspense, and neatly condenses the TV series. Plot may end up being a bit too complicated in terms of conspiracy, but otherwise this is the textbook case on how to adapt a TV series to film, which is so often botched.

excellent movie

Author: kai ringler from United States
6 July 2013

if this isn't the best ever adaptation from a TV series to a movie I don't know what is.. please tell me because I would like to know what would top this one.. the story of the one armed man is back finally 30 years in the making , I remember bits and pieces from the old TV show which I intend to find somewhere and own one day, because I never finished seeing the whole season,, so you have a shortened version here, Tommy Lee Jones,, vs. Harrison Ford,, plain and simple,, our Marshall and his crackpot team must figure out a way to catch the very elusive and dapper, Dr. Richard Kimble ,, who we all know did not kill his wife,, but with all the mounting evidence,, and the good Dr's total lack of his whereabouts, it's really kind of hard to believe him.. on his way to prison, the train flips over, and presto , the Dr. is now on the run,, I personally love the dam jump scene,, and the part where the Marshall says he just doesn't give a damn. what a wonderful action movie,, lot's of suspense great plot,, scenery acting,, a perfect movie with the perfect actors of that time period playing those parts.

Very good thriller

Author: lisafordeay from Ireland
24 May 2013

Harrison Ford is a brilliant actor end of story. You gotta love his performance in this film and im not gonna lie here but the 80s and 90s were the best films of all compare to now(except some of them that are brilliant like Shrek,Tangled etc).

The Fugitive is based off a TV series of the same name and tells the story of a Doctor Kimple(played by Harrison Ford) who's wife got murdered by a one hand guy who lost his hand in an accident and wears a prosthetic hand.But none of the cops believe him when he is up in court as they thrown him in jail as they think HIS the one that murdered his own wife.

But when the train that brings him to jail breaks down,Richard(sporting long grey hair and a bushy grey beard)goes on the run and changes his appearance(by dying and chopping his hair) as well as shaving off his beard in order for the police not to notice him and to prove that he is an innocent man.

So when one of the FBI agents tracks him down(played by Tommy Lee Jones),Richard proves to him that he is telling the truth about the man with the prosthetic hand,but will Lee Jones' charcther believe his story and let Richard get away??

Bottom Line this movie was brilliant. You gotta love the story,you gotta love the acting and everything about this film is fantastic. I know I know its not aimed towards women like me,and I don't wanna sound racist when saying it but I for one would highly put this film in at no 20 on my list of all time favourite movies. Is it my all time favourite movie No but is it a great film YES.

Also keep an eye out for Jane Lynch(a very young looking Lynch)from Glee and Julianne Moore.

The Fugitive — A riveting chase with action and intrigue

Author: Avid Climber from Montreal, Canada
20 May 2013

The Fugitive has its plot pulled out of an 80s TV show with credible success. I don't know if the fans of the original series liked it, but I did.

The good. Captivating story. Well built scenario and characters resulting in a nice intrigue. Gripping pace that won't let you down and give you only a few pauses. Solid action and acting.

The actors. Commendable work by Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones.

The bad. Lee Jones' character and actions as well as his whole work structure are a bit over the top.

The ugly. Nothing.

The result. If you like intrigue, Ford, Lee Jones, or a story about a guy trying to clear his name, it's definitely for you. If you like action, you'll also find your entertainment. There's even a bit of romance and a cap on the violence so the ladies might find their own too.