IMDb > The Fugitive (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Fugitive

The Fugitive More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 26: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

The Doctor is Out.

Author: Robert J. Maxwell (rmax304823@yahoo.com) from Deming, New Mexico, USA
3 August 2004

Part of the fun of the original series, lo those many years ago, was watching Doctor Richard Kimble get turned into Doctor Richard Humble. I mean, here he is in the person of David Jansen, and we know he's got a sconce full of medical knowledge and everything, yet he's running from town to town being a gardener or a pool guy or something, never able to show off his skills until the end of the program when he's called on to reveal his identity by saving someone's life. It was like watching Jimmy Stewart in "Destry Rides Again," the newly arrived sheriff acting like a bumbling inarticulate naive idiot until half-way through he unlimbers his guns and leaves the town goggle eyed.

The movie lacks the tension associated with that kind of status discrepancy.

It doesn't really matter much that Harrison Ford is a doctor. He's only called on to exercise his skills once. And he never is hired as a handy man or chimney sweep so there's no real mystery about his true occupation to be unraveled.

I'm pretty much skipping the plot of the movie because it must be pretty well known by now. But I will say that the episodic semi-mystery of the original, with Kimball getting involved in the lives of various locals, has been dropped in favor of a standard chase/action movie, and not a bad one if you disregard certain facts. One of the facts to be disregarded, common to action movies of this caliber, is that the human body is destructible. Instance: Dr. Kimball does this Brody out of a sewer outlet and falls down the greatest biggest most horrifyingly tiptoptoloftical cascade of water you ever saw. The scene reminded me of an old Tarzan movie in which Tarzan dives off one of the towers of the Brooklyn Bridge. Like Tarzan, Harrison Ford, emerges from the midwinter water, shakes himself off like a dog, and makes off through the woods with only a look of irritation to show for the experience.

The solution to the murder mystery, when it comes, arrives rather suddenly and without earlier hints. All of a sudden there is something to do with falsified results of liver damage. I don't know what's the big deal about Provasic. I once asked a doctor to give me something for my liver. He gave me a bag of onions and that was that. The ending involves more human indestructibility, multiple shootouts, a helicopter with one of those bright spotlights, a chase across a roof, a fist fight in which middle-aged doctors throw punches that would stun a rhinoceros, and so forth.

Harrison Ford is okay. We don't get to see nearly enough of Julianne Moore.

She exudes intelligence as well as a peculiar beauty. Tommy Lee Jones is outstanding. He brings something unique to each role. And Joe Pantoliano is as good as always, which is to say pretty good. Joeren Krabbe is a smooth villain. Well, with a name like that, could it be otherwise? Come to think of it, we should have seen more of Sela Ward too, a Southern black-eyed susan if there ever was one. It's easy to understand why, after she was murdered, Ford carried a grudge against the perpetrators.

Well, see it if it's on TV sometime. Or rent it if you want action. And if you want action, the first bang-up bus-train collision should keep you happy for a while.

on the run...

Author: dbdumonteil
2 April 2004

An adaptation of a famous TV series, "the fugitive" was a blockbuster when it was launched in 1993. Did I enjoy it? Yes and no... We deal with a spirited action movie, led without any dead times and with a well-balanced performance. I was told that Tommy Lee Jones almost stole the show from Harrison Ford. Honestly, I didn't have this impression.

But "the fugitive" is also a movie without any major surprises and where you can detect a lack of inventiveness because it confines itself to the usual rules of the detective movie: a man wrongly accused of a crime he didn't commit, a will to discover the real culprit, police on his tail, a predictable progression sprinkled with stirring chases. Furthermore, the script, which is sometimes repetitive doesn't exclude unlikelinesses and the end makes the whole conventional.

Nonetheless, Andrew Davis knows his job and "the fugitive" remains a spectacular and watchable movie but also too much superficial to call it a masterpiece.

Brooks--The Fugitive Review

Author: rbrooksie12 from United States
11 August 2014

The Fugitive is a great movie based on the 1960s television series of the same name. The performances of both Tommy Lee Jones as Deputy Girard and Harrison Ford as Dr. Richard Kimble are great, but it is Jones who gives the best performance. He well-deservingly won the Best Supporting Actor for 1993 in the Academy Awards that year.

Dr. Richard Kimble is wrongly accused of murdering his wife. He is sent to jail, but when a security guard is stabbed and another one is unconscious, Kimble uses that chance to run away from the law. The great thing about this is that Kimble is not running away to be free, but he is running away to solve the crime. Tommy Lee Jones plays Deputy Samuel Girard who is trying to track down Kimble. He has one run-in with Kimble, but Kimble gets away.

The movie is great, and in my opinion it is one of the best films of 1993. There are however a few things about this film which are ridiculous. First, when Kimble is driving the ambulance and Girard and his men are going after him and they trap him in a tunnel. Despite at least ten marshals going after Kimble, he manages to crawl into the sewer without one of them seeing him. Also, when Kimble is in the sewer and Girard and his men are going after him in the sewer and Girard finds him and has him trapped and Kimble jumps approximately 100 feet off of a dam and survives. I mean come on can this really happen? Also, when Kimble is walking up the street and a woman stops next to him and asks him if he wants a ride. Would you go up to a stranger and ask for a ride? These things are minor things and would not affect your viewing on the film, but these are things that you stop and ask yourself can this really happen? This is a great movie and if you have never seen this movie and are fans of Ford and Jones or action films I encourage you to check out.

Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones perfectly matched

Author: SnoopyStyle
9 March 2014

Dr. Richard Kimble (Harrison Ford) is called in for an emergency surgery. When he returns home, he finds an one arm guy murdering his wife (Sela Ward). The cops don't believe him, and he is wrongly convicted. Kimble's prison transport crashes when the prisoners try to take over and is run over by a train. Kimble escapes and Deputy US Marshal Samuel Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones) takes charge of catching Kimble. Meanwhile Kimble goes in search for his wife's killer.

There are just so many classic moments from this movie. Not to mention that these two lead actors are perfectly cast as their characters. Those great lines just sings out of Tommy Lee Jones' mouth. The investigation is also compelling. The whole movie is just as entertaining as heck.

A first rate thriller with two great lead actors.

Author: loutel-905-833810 from United States
19 February 2014

The Fugitive (1993) is about a vascular surgeon named Richard Kimble (Harrison Ford) who was accused of killing his wife. As he escapes from being executed he goes on the run to prove his innocence while avoiding getting caught by a team of U.S Marshals lead by the determined Samuel Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones). I will start off by saying that I don't just like, but love this film. Everything about this film is perfect. This is an exhilarating film and I enjoyed every minute of it. The Fugitive is a great action thriller that is highly entertaining and filled with heart pounding moments. The film is directed by Andrew Davis. Andrew Davis is one of the few directors who in his prime knew how to craft a well made action film. As far as his films go, this is his best one and my favorite. The scenes between Ford and Jones are engaging and suspenseful. The entire film is a perfect example of great suspense. One of my two favorite scenes in this film are where Kimble is chased by Gerard. One is the dam chase and the other is the stairway chase. Both of the scenes are terrific examples of great thrills. The performances by Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones are outstanding. Harrison Ford is great as Dr. Richard Kimble. You really feel the characters vulnerability and you really root for him. I am in general a huge fan of Harrison Ford and as far as his performances go this is one of his best. I cannot believe that he didn't get a nomination. Tommy Lee Jones as the determined U.S Marshal Samuel Gerard is magnificent. Tommy Lee Jones is another one of those actors who is basically good in just everything he is in. He also won an academy award for best supporting actor and I got to say that he truly deserved it. The supporting cast may not be on par with the two lead actors, however they still do capable job in their roles. The score by James Newton Howard is wonderful and add more excitement during the action scenes. The movie was a huge critical and commercial success. It was nominated for 7 academy awards and won one for best supporting actor. Overall, it is a first rate thriller that will appeal to action fans and to those who in general like a good film that features top notch suspense and a well written story with wonderful lead actors. This is one of those films that I could honestly watch over and over again and never get bored. I absolutely have no problems with this film.

4/4 stars.

Superb Version Of TV Series.

Author: AaronCapenBanner from North America
2 December 2013

Andrew Davis directed this surprisingly superb cinema version of the classic TV series that had starred David Janssen as Dr. Richard Kimble, and Barry Morse as Lt. Philip Gerard, his pursuer. This time, Harrison Ford plays the wrongfully convicted Dr. Kimble, who was found guilty of murdering his wife Helen(played by Sela Ward) despite it being the work of a one-armed man(played by Andreas Katsulas) After his train derails in an escape attempt gone wrong, Kimble becomes a fugitive, as he relentlessly tries to hide from authorities led by U.S. Marshal Samuel Gerard(played by Tommy Lee Jones) and uncover the true killer, which ends up not being just a simple burglary gone wrong... Well acted and written film has incredible action scenes and suspense, and neatly condenses the TV series. Plot may end up being a bit too complicated in terms of conspiracy, but otherwise this is the textbook case on how to adapt a TV series to film, which is so often botched.

"A hard target search of every gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, hen house, outhouse, and doghouse in the area"

Author: romanorum1 from Rhode Island, United States
15 September 2013

In the popular TV series of the same name (1963-1967), David Janssen played the lead role of a doctor who had been tried, convicted, and sentenced to die for the murder of his wife. The doctor, Richard Kimble, was innocent of the crime. Because of a train wreck, Kimble was able to escape and subsequently search for the one-armed man that he knew was the real culprit. Folks tuned in every week to see how the doctor fared. Despite many close calls and being fanatically pursued by a relentless Lt. Gerard, Kimble remained elusive. Finally, after four years, Kimble and his quarry were trapped atop a water tower in the presence of Gerard, who shot the one-armed murderer from the ground. That final episode on a Tuesday in August of 1967 garnered a 72 percent share of all USA TV viewers.

The 1993 movie of the same name maintains the same premise although the plot is rather different. An innocent doctor (now a vascular surgeon), Dr. Richard Kimble (Harrison Ford) is on the run and is, at the same time, trying to locate the one-armed murderer of his wife, Helen Kimble (Sela Ward) before the authorities close in and execute him. In the movie's brief prologue, all available evidence had pointed to the doctor's guilt. The sentence was surprising and unusually swift. So, without any hope for deliverance, he finds himself handcuffed while riding in a prison bus to his hapless destiny. Directly because of a mêlée, the bus tumbles down an embankment directly onto train tracks. The massive collision of a freight train and the bus is as sensational as ever seen on screen. The locomotive may be derailed, but its momentum chases Kimble as he desperately runs for his life (No models: The train and bus were real!). Skillfully able to evade his pursuers, Dr. Kimble works his way back to Chicago where he resumes contacts with his friends and sympathizers. With few places to lick his wounds in a hostile winter and with no resources – and even slightly wounded – Kimble somehow defies the odds and stays free. See how he casually walks into a hospital, and, as a doctor knows exactly what to do: (1) self treat his wound, (2) grab a quick meal, (3) shave his beard, (4) clean up, (5) find suitable clothing, and (6) leave in an ambulance.

Kimble's pursuit is led by Deputy US Marshal Samuel Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones). Gerard is obsessed with catching Kimble, and his manhunt is on a massive scale. Tommy Lee Jones as Gerard, whose screen presence is immense, is steadfast in his mission. He is alert, intelligent, and weather-beaten, and leaves no doubt who is in charge. He often adopts a superior tone. But, in the course of the film, as new facts are presented, Gerard's facial expressions and body language subtlety change as he comes to realize that the beleaguered surgeon may be innocent after all. Yet, he doggedly keeps up the chase, as he has a job to do, and not judge (Kimble: "I didn't kill my wife!" Gerard: "I don't care!"). He has a team that includes right-hand man Cosmo Renfro (Joe Pantoliano), Erin Poole (L. Scott Campbell), Noah Newman (Tom Wood), and Biggs (Daniel Roebuck). There are other characters, like Kelly and Rosetti of the Chicago Police Department; Kelly is especially adamant about Kimble's guilt right up to the very end.

Meanwhile Kimble, using his brains as well as his wits, is eventually able to gain access to Cook County Hospital, where he searches for those who have prosthetic right arms. The doctor narrows the search to a manageable five names. He finds one man, a Frederick Sykes (Andreas Katsulas), an ex-policeman working in the security business. In the meantime Kimble finds a place to stay in a Polish woman's basement apartment. He is betrayed by her drug-dealing son but escapes. Back in the hospital, Kimble is instrumental in saving a boy's life by a quick diagnosis and altering the regular hospital doctor's instructions.

Kimble meticulously pieces the puzzle together and realizes that he, and not his wife, was the real target. Kimble breaks into sullied Sykes apartment for more information. Dr. Lentz, deceased (actually murdered) the previous year, and Kimble's supposed friend Dr. Charles Nichols (Jeroen Krabbe) falsified the records/research of the dangers of a new drug (RDU 90 = Provasic) that caused liver damage to line their pockets. Knowing that Kimble would be against them, they hired Sykes to do their dirty work. There is an altercation on the Chicago El with Kimble and Sykes. Kimble then heads for the Grand Ballroom where an honorary dinner is being held for Dr. Nichols, who is touting the dangerous new drug as a miracle. The final confrontation occurs on a rooftop and in a laundry room.

The movie, focusing on two determined, smart, and hardy men pitted against each other, builds suspense and excitement with plausible situations (except for the dam leap, the origins of which may be Alfred Hitchcocks' 1942 feature, "Saboteur"). The chase is stronger than the murder plot, which can be confusing. But the performances are very good, and Harrison Ford certainly appears in his element although Tommy Lee Jones won the coveted Oscar. Although Sela Ward's character died early, flashbacks enhance her screen time. Great cinematography and on-location shooting are always a plus. A final word: Unlike many modern movies, the language is not vulgar. "The Fugitive" is enjoyable even after many viewings.

excellent movie

Author: kai ringler from United States
6 July 2013

if this isn't the best ever adaptation from a TV series to a movie I don't know what is.. please tell me because I would like to know what would top this one.. the story of the one armed man is back finally 30 years in the making , I remember bits and pieces from the old TV show which I intend to find somewhere and own one day, because I never finished seeing the whole season,, so you have a shortened version here, Tommy Lee Jones,, vs. Harrison Ford,, plain and simple,, our Marshall and his crackpot team must figure out a way to catch the very elusive and dapper, Dr. Richard Kimble ,, who we all know did not kill his wife,, but with all the mounting evidence,, and the good Dr's total lack of his whereabouts, it's really kind of hard to believe him.. on his way to prison, the train flips over, and presto , the Dr. is now on the run,, I personally love the dam jump scene,, and the part where the Marshall says he just doesn't give a damn. what a wonderful action movie,, lot's of suspense great plot,, scenery acting,, a perfect movie with the perfect actors of that time period playing those parts.

Very good thriller

Author: lisafordeay from Ireland
24 May 2013

Harrison Ford is a brilliant actor end of story. You gotta love his performance in this film and im not gonna lie here but the 80s and 90s were the best films of all compare to now(except some of them that are brilliant like Shrek,Tangled etc).

The Fugitive is based off a TV series of the same name and tells the story of a Doctor Kimple(played by Harrison Ford) who's wife got murdered by a one hand guy who lost his hand in an accident and wears a prosthetic hand.But none of the cops believe him when he is up in court as they thrown him in jail as they think HIS the one that murdered his own wife.

But when the train that brings him to jail breaks down,Richard(sporting long grey hair and a bushy grey beard)goes on the run and changes his appearance(by dying and chopping his hair) as well as shaving off his beard in order for the police not to notice him and to prove that he is an innocent man.

So when one of the FBI agents tracks him down(played by Tommy Lee Jones),Richard proves to him that he is telling the truth about the man with the prosthetic hand,but will Lee Jones' charcther believe his story and let Richard get away??

Bottom Line this movie was brilliant. You gotta love the story,you gotta love the acting and everything about this film is fantastic. I know I know its not aimed towards women like me,and I don't wanna sound racist when saying it but I for one would highly put this film in at no 20 on my list of all time favourite movies. Is it my all time favourite movie No but is it a great film YES.

Also keep an eye out for Jane Lynch(a very young looking Lynch)from Glee and Julianne Moore.

The Fugitive — A riveting chase with action and intrigue

Author: Avid Climber from Montreal, Canada
20 May 2013

The Fugitive has its plot pulled out of an 80s TV show with credible success. I don't know if the fans of the original series liked it, but I did.

The good. Captivating story. Well built scenario and characters resulting in a nice intrigue. Gripping pace that won't let you down and give you only a few pauses. Solid action and acting.

The actors. Commendable work by Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones.

The bad. Lee Jones' character and actions as well as his whole work structure are a bit over the top.

The ugly. Nothing.

The result. If you like intrigue, Ford, Lee Jones, or a story about a guy trying to clear his name, it's definitely for you. If you like action, you'll also find your entertainment. There's even a bit of romance and a cap on the violence so the ladies might find their own too.