IMDb > For Love or Money (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
For Love or Money

For Love or Money More at IMDbPro »

A romantic comedy that I didn't hate. What the heck? Must be something wrong...

Author: Shecky J. O'Pootertoot (guido@supercity.ns.ca) from Nova Scotia, Canada
1 August 2000

No, this movie is actually pretty good. It's quick and efficient, it does its job well, but it's not something you're going to think much about ten minutes after you see it (now, now, don't get greedy).

Why do I like it? Fox. And I don't consider myself a big Michael J. Fox fan, I mean, he was good in Family Ties, but that was a long time ago and he's done some stinkers between then and now. Maybe because the smooth talker consierge he plays in this reminds me a little of Alex P. Keating back in the day. This guy is super-slick, his mind is always going at incredible speeds. One part that will always stand out is the 'ticket trade' scene (How'd this Donahue get in here?). Funny stuff. There are a few good laughs in here.

Oops, can't forget Gabrielle Anwar. She is just cute as a button in this movie, I want to see more of her (the only other movie of hers I can think of off hand is Body Snatchers). Heck, you can almost forgive her for basically playing a prostitute in this one. If you don't agree,ask yourself this: Would she have taken any of this guys crap if he was a married garbage man from New Jersey and not a married european millionaire fashion mogul? Of coarse not, she's in it for the money. Hell, i'd wear a skirt and put out for that kind of scratch.

The director Barry Sonnenfeld has an interesting resume of hits (Men in Black) and misses (Wild Wild West) and just entertaining films (Get Shorty). This one is entertaining fluff. It's an hour and a half of your time that you won't regret spending. 7/10 stars. G'night!

Nothing new but still surprising.

Author: Neil Ferris (n.ferris@uea.ac.uk) from Norwich, England
19 February 1999

This film may be a very run-of-the-mill, everyday Romantic Comedy but thanks to the performances of Michael J. Fox and Gabrielle Anwar, apart from the singing, it ends up as a deeply entertaining and enjoyable movie to sit back and relax with a loved one over at the end of a tiring week.

This movie never actually got a video release in the U.K. which has greatly disappointed me and means I have to wait for its repeat appearance on TV in order to add it to my collection.

Nevertheless, Fox excels yet again and shows why he is one of the few American sitcom stars to make a prolonged impact in the movies in roles unlike his character from Family Ties. Anwar also gives another performance which leaves me increasingly baffled as to why she has not been used more in Hollywood.

See this movie, it may not have been a hit but it will surprise you with its quality just the same.

Top knotch romantic movie...

Author: Nick Jamieson (Machiko) from Sherwood Park, Alberta
9 October 2001

I watched this movie over the weekend as a refreshment from seeing it as a late movie one Saturday and I still enjoy it. It is quite a charming little romance comedy about Doug Ireland, a concierge who is absorbed in his work, but can take time out for the attractive but difficult Andy(Gabrielle Anwar). He has big plans for himself, and calls on the help of a corrupt businessman for support. Fox is wonderful in this film, playing his most proficient kind of character- the hopeless romantic. The supporting cast is very funny and enjoyable, especially Udo Kier, the uptight manager with a slight hatred for overdoers. This is a very good romantic movie, the kind that is best for a date or an evening out.

Typical yet different

Author: Joshua Bozeman from Evansville, Indiana
20 September 2000

I must say, this is one of my all time favorite movies. I don't know why, but I sincerely love this film. Michael J. Fox's character is really likeable, and I find myself praying that he'll make the right moves all thru the movie. I must add to this comment my love for the score of For Love Or Money. The music, written by Bruce Broughton is just awesome, and it completely sets the perfect tone for the many different scenes. I especially love the music when Fox's character is walking down the subway steps after leaving work. This is a great movie to watch with someone you love. I would definitely recommend it.

Feel-good film

Author: Chris-369 from United Kingdom
15 February 2000

For Love or Money can best be described as a happy-go-lucky movie that is sure to make you smile.

Fox plays Doug, a concierge who has a dream of owning his own hotel - all he needs is the start up capital. He meets a guy who is keen to help but things get complicated when Doug discovers that his new found friend and financial helper is going out with the girl who he has been after for months (Anwar).

The outcome of this movie is no surprise and the love/hate relationship and chemistry between Fox and Anwar is very entertaining.

Overall an enjoyable film for all ages.

Pretty Good

Author: YFL
27 April 1999

I quite liked this movie ... it wasn't particularly special, basically a rather traditional love story... but it hit in the right places. And Michael J. Fox's character Doug, a concierge being the center of a romance is fresh and appealing. One of the scenes I liked was when he showed Gabrielle Anwar's character, Andy, his dreams ... literally. Everything seemed to come in together ... you really understood then how much it meant to him, and his sharing it with Andy was a wonderful gesture of his love for her. The moment was magical, the best in the whole movie for me. Watch this if you like a conventionally exceptional love story.

The Best movie to see in Hungary

Author: oniongod-2 from United States
26 February 2006

I was on tour with my friend in Budapest. The Concierge was on one of the only two English speaking channels in the hotel. We watched it 5 times in a row. We then went out to eat at a vegetarian restaurant that was also a college. We then played a concert, returned to the hotel and watched it 5 more times! I am not kidding. This movie is terrific and very comforting and nice. See it over and over again like Breaking Away, War Games, Alien or Contempt. MJF is very sincere in this film. I have never forgotten it. Not in the same way I have never forgotten Don't BE AFRAID OF THE DARK! Beware of that movie. This is the perfect MJK film it is like the first BTTF movie or the Frighteners in that it has a sincere cohesion. This is a small unsung film but will be celebrated in the future as a classic.

My hero!

Author: (dwasserm@earthlink.net) from San Diego, CA
19 May 2003

Some people have suggested that Fox's character in this movie is

just Alex P. Keaton all over again. I think they missed the point.

Alex was in love with money. Doug is not as materialistic; he

doesn't desire money for its own sake, but views it as a tool that

will help him realize his dream. Alex was self-centered. Doug

cares about other people. He is successful because he can

empathize with people and give them what they need. He is very

inspiring. This movie is described as a comedy, but I didn't find it very

funny; I cared about the characters too much to laugh at them.

Wonderful, heartfelt, sincere... underrated!

Author: schagris from Moscow, Russia
16 June 2010

I can't understand why this film gets such a low rating on IMDb. It's got everything - love, romance, dream, struggle, deception, insecurity, fear and hope. Its happy ending comes from the heart, not from the formula. Part of the reason the movie works so well is the screenplay which has got it right at all the right points. Some people say it's not "funny" enough, well, as far as I am concerned, for the genre of romantic comedy, it's very humorous (my personal favorite line is "how did my secretary get here?" - priceless!!).

Second, the sincere and very endearing performances of the cast. The WHOLE cast. As for the lead, "Concierge" happens to be my favorite MJF's film. He is so natural in this, it doesn't even feel like he is acting. Gabrielle Anwar gives a pretty solid performance as well, and the chemistry between Andy and Doug is overwhelming. Well, pretty much every character is well written and acted and stands out on his/her own - Mr. Drinkwater, Milton, Mr. Himmelman, Julian Russel, Mr. Wegman... I find the Doug-Wegman plot line particularly dear and I shed a couple of tears every time Mr. Wegman tells Doug he is going to invest the money and make Doug's dream come true.

I also think this movie has one of the best turning points (or one hour crisis points) ever. Again, my heart starts beating faster every time when Doug tells Andy about the hotel of his dreams as he narrates the unfortunate story of his father. "I am not going to be a 59 year old bellhop", says Doug. "Concierge"... - corrects him Andy. The roles are reversed here, before Doug had insisted to be called "concierge" instead of "bellhop" and now Andy calls him that. We see how, for the first time, Andy realizes that Doug is not her lover's "puppet", but an individual, a person with a great hope and a great dream.

Overall, it's a wonderful family film to watch on a rainy day, right between "The Apartment" and "Sideways". Well, you can enjoy it even it you haven't got a family. It still works.

Nice

Author: Petri Pelkonen (petri_pelkonen@hotmail.com) from Finland
18 December 2002

Michael J. Fox is the concierge Doug Ireland and Gabrielle Anwar plays the woman he loves in Barry Sonnenfeld film For Love or Money (1993).The acting work is superb.The chemistry really works between the main stars.Fyvush Finkel is also great playing Milton Glickman.This is a nice comedy.It's not perfect but it's nice.Michael J. Fox is great in the lead.This isn't his best movie but he does a great job.This brilliant actor just received a star on Hollywood Walk of Fame.It was just about time.Fox retired from acting in 2000 because of Parkinson's disease but I surely hope he will recover someday and return to acting. But before that enjoy his working in movies like For Love or Money.