IMDb > Fire in the Sky (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fire in the Sky

Fire in the Sky More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Try this if you like UFO movies.

Author: andy-227 from Sterling Heights, Michigan
27 January 1999

"Fire in the Sky" can be appreciated only if you are into UFO movies, and if you like scary alien abduction scenes. The film is based on the allegedly true story of Travis Walton's alien abduction. After seeing the film, and becoming extremely interested in the subject, I read the book by Travis. Reading it, I found out that the abduction scene was changed in the movie. Whether what happened in the book was real or not, the change in the film was good, because those ten minutes of abduction scene are, quite possibly, among the most frightening pieces of footage in film history! I couldn't go to sleep for a month after that. It was tough to deal with. I recommend it because I know that there are some of you out there who like UFOs, and like a good scare!

Powerful stuff

Author: ctomvelu from usa
24 July 2005

FIRE IN THE SKY is a scary and involving sci-fi thriller about a missing logger and his coworkers' attempts to explain what happened. They claim a UFO abducted him. Law enforcer James Garner is just as convinced they injured or killed him and left him behind in the woods. Eventually the logger returns, naked as the day he was born and babbling about alien abductors. The next section of the film take us into the mind of the logger to recreate what he thinks happened to him. It ain't pretty, and at this point the film becomes far too intense for younger children. DB Sweeney plays the missing logger, and Peter Berg, Craig Sheffer, Robert Patrick and Henry Thomas are his terrified coworkers. Based on a popular book of the day that purported to be a true story. The movie, while clearly a thriller, nevertheless leaves things open to interpretation.

Surprisingly good

Author: siderite from Romania
9 February 2006

This movie has a good plot, a good cast and a good feel to it. It is obviously a low budget movie, but one done well. The story is about an alien abduction, but instead of focusing on the aliens and what they did, the focus is on the people involved and how do they react "under fire".

You can call it a "TV psychological thriller" more than a sci-fi. I expected something dumb, instead I found not a masterpiece, but a good movie, one that was worth the watch.

James Garner had a really weird role, but he is old, so he gets what they throw at him; Robert Patrick does a good role and, even if he did play in some silly movies in his time, I think he is a good actor, one that can surprise if properly cast.

Very Scary

Author: fallout92 from United States
28 March 2005

After I watched this movie I took into perspective that aliens are freaking Scary. This movie probably has the best Alien abduction that I have ever seen.The aliens research on the man that got abducted was petrifying and the aliens themselves looked as scary as heck. I think this movie is Very underrated and should be seen by every true alien believer or anyone that is in for a good scare, besides after you see the movie i'm almost positive you will believe in them anyway. I think this movie is just as good as any alien movie i've ever seen and is sure as heck scarier.I definitely recommend this movie and if you like scary movies this is a must see.

Very scary, important metaphor

Author: Natalie Andrews from United States
2 December 2009

Not much to say about this one, i really really liked it. The hour and a half prior to the money shot scene was worth the wait. I agree that this would be the best X-files episode ever if it were added to the series with Scully and Molder doing the investigating instead of the sheriff.

I didn't read all the comments but if mine proves useful at all, i have to say, the entire abduction scene was an accident. The writer and director were pressured by the studio to put it in. It's beyond me why they didn't want one at all. Tracy Thorne concocted the whole thing to have a message that went deeper than aliens. It goes a little something like "how would you feel if you were taken from your comfortable lifestyle with your own species and subjected to cruel experiments with no way of reasoning with your captors, being humiliated and borderline raped with no reason of why" sound a little like when you used a magnifying glass on a random ant? or like the experiments done to animals for research? if we cant co-exist with our planets own damn creatures than where's the logic in wondering about aliens? District 9 is a little less vague, but still a good example of human ignorance.

Best abduction movie to date! very scary, with a good message.

Convincing story proving that aliens do exist.

Author: Dan Grant (dan.grant@bell.ca) from Toronto, Ontario
20 August 1999

This movie is a true eye opener. I remember seeing it with a few friends and we all had the same reaction to it. Especially in the scene where the guy is used in an experimental manner by the aliens. We were all scared and appalled. Could you imagine? We all wondered and winced at the mere thought of being used as an experiment, how awful and painful and traumatic an experience that would be. But take a closer look and when your eyes are opened, what you may see is like looking into a blurred reflection in a mirror. And the question has to be asked. What would we do if the same situation occurred here on Earth. What if we found an alien stranded here, or better yet what if we kidnapped one? Would we let it live a normal peaceful life? Or would we put it under the knife and do DNA testing, take blood samples, urine samples, semen samples? Would we do every possible experiment to this creature as we possibly could? You're damn right we would! And perhaps that wasn't the films intention ( to draw parallels to us and them ) but then again maybe it was. The problem though is that we only see what we want to see. But really, what separates us from them? Our humanity? HA! What is humanity? It is being human, and sometimes that can be more disgusting than being alien. We don't know their intentions or motivations, but we do know ours and that makes us inhumane for doing some of what we do.

Fire In The Sky is a frightening movie. It is a frightening thought that this could happen to us, and it is disturbing to think that this may have happened to some people already. I had clouded thoughts and opinions about aliens before seeing this film. But after the movie I was compelled to do my own research about apparent alien abductions and such. And there is a lot of material that supports what this film has to say. And that makes it intriguing. If you are curious about aliens the way I was after this film, then spend some time on the net and look up some stuff, you'll be surprised, but back to the film.

D.B. Sweeney did a great job especially when he had to show fear. He makes you feel that he was there and when you look into his eyes, you can feel his fear. And that was one of the great parts of the film. The actors from Peter Berg to Henry Thomas ( Elliot from E.T. ) do a credible job portraying his confused and interrogated-one-to-many-times friends. But what the real strength of the film is, is the story. It makes you open your eyes and ask some tough questions. The story seems plausible, the boys passed every lie detector test, and there is no proof to say that they were lying. So where does that leave you, the viewer? It sealed my opinion on the subject. And on that level it is a great film.

The only complaint I have with the film is that it seemed to end too abruptly. There were so many questions I had that I wanted answered, but they just stopped. And that left me frustrated. I'm not sure if they did that on purpose or if was unintentional, but it left me yearning for more. But that is the only glitch I had with the film. If nothing else, it does make you question life. And any film that can pose moral questions to me and not have me lose interest in the process has accomplished something.

Do aliens exist? I think so. Watch this film and perhaps decide for yourself.

Terrifying Climax

Author: jonathon_naylor from Manitoba, Canada
12 June 2006

A terrifying climax highlights this portrayal of the alleged 1975 alien abduction of logger Travis Walton. Walton and fellow loggers were driving one night when, the story goes, they spotted a mysterious spacecraft hovering over head. When Walton is beamed aboard and declared missing for several days, nobody believes his friends, providing an interesting angle on the story. This element of the film is particularly effective in building up suspense. Where is Walton and what did he experience? A cast that includes D.B. Sweeney, Robert Patrick and Henry Thomas (Elliot from E.T.) deliver quality performances. It doesn't have the look or feel of a blockbuster (it wasn't one), but this is a classic example of an overlooked gem.

Still the best alien abduction movie

Author: tieman64 from United Kingdom
5 March 2008

A group of lumberjacks go out into the woods. A UFO appears. They run away. One man (Travis Walton) is left behind. He is sucked up into the UFO. His friends inform the police, who later comb the woods. They find no trace of Travis. Travis' friends and family grow worried. The police accuse the lumberjacks of murdering Travis. They deny it. They take lie detector tests. They pass.

Several days later, a visibly traumatised Travis appears at the edge of town. He is taken home. He recounts the story of his abduction. The film ends with a 20 minute set piece in which Travis is abducted by aliens, wanders about their space craft and is subjected to torture.

"Fire in the Sky" is a pretty simple movie. It's quiet and unassuming and apparently based on a true story. Indeed, for its first hour, "Fire" unfolds like a fairly low-key "X-Files" episode, content to capitalise on the "UFO" and "gray alien" craze of the late 1980s.

Interesting, the tone of the film then completely changes during its last twenty minutes. Here, during an extended set piece, we watch as Travis is captured and abused by a group of sadistic, monstrous aliens. It's shocking sequence, not so much because it's graphic, but because it's a complete contrast to everything we've seen before. The film goes from a quiet, low budget character study, to big budget SFX horror flick in the blink of an eye.

Of course this is a calculated move designed to add some spectacle and titillation to what would otherwise have been a dull film. But the scene nevertheless resonates thanks to actor D. B. Sweeny's sympathetic performance as Travis, and thanks to some stunning (especially for a film made in 1993) SFX work.

Incidentally, this final act set piece was conceived and designed by the same SFX team behind the Matrix movies. "Fire's" wire-work, alien cocoons and gooey hibernation sacks would be reused a decade later in the first 2 Matrix films.

8/10 - A quiet and well acted exploitation film, made memorable by a single great set piece. As far as alien abduction movies go, it's better than Christopher Walken's "Communion". Both films are inspired by the Whitley Strieber and Bob Hoskin alien books of the mid 80s.

some very good substance with this saccharin

Author: blenvid (blenvid@gmail.com) from Washington, D.C.
8 September 2009

I realized, after watching this for the 5th time or so, that the reason I keep returning to it isn't related to what it's primarily known for: an alien abduction. I keep returning to this movie because of the characters, because of the extraordinary performances put in by the actors, and because the situation they find themselves in makes for very good drama. It could as well have been Transformers as much as aliens, or ghosts as much as aliens, or vampires as much as aliens. The point is it's normal people up against extraordinary circumstances done in a way which is forthright and respectful of their lives. How exceptionally rare.

How many of the other types of movies noted have character writing and performances as good as these? Almost none. Transformers. Nope. Haunting in Connecticut. Nope. Underworld. Certainly getting better but still not as good as this.

For me, the most interesting part is having a pillar of the community,(Mike Rogers played by Robert Patrick) someone who people of the community would've trusted their lives as well as their children with, up against an event of questionable authenticity. Where do people draw the line? Do they turn against their own, do they support him/her despite the circumstances, or do they alternate between continuously uncertain perspectives? You know the path that most chose.

It's heartbreaking to see him try to hold on to his faith while people have assembled in the local church to practically accuse him of murder.

"What are you doing!?"

In the midst of overwhelming circumstances, Mike Rogers loses more than the trust and respect of his community; he not only loses his best friend; he not only loses his marriage; he not only loses his place as the father of his children; he loses his trust and faith in humanity. Robert Patrick's performance of this former pillar, this guy with heart, decency, moral fortitude, and strength that is beaten down by circumstance is the best of his career. When I think of Robert Patrick, I will always think of this role. It's a grand freaking slam home run performance. Don't miss it.

The end of the film is painful to watch. We see the physical impact isolation has had on Mike: sideways glances, short curt answers, questions answered with questions, lack of empathy, and of course, his long hair and beard. We've all been there in spirit. Enter Travis Walton (D.B. Sweeney, also in a very good performance) and perhaps in the most moving way, the guy who was abducted and who probably has the most right to shun society, instead rises above his own circumstances and forgives his former best friend for any action (or lack thereof) while he was being abducted. It's a testament to the power of friendship, forgiveness, and humility, and is profound. It's despairing for me to see others here say they hate the ending.

One can't forget the performances of the others in the film, Craig Sheffer as Allan Dallis, one of the best of his career, and E.T.'s Henry Thomas, also a great performance.

The score, written by Mark Isham, while not his best, is noteworthy as it nicely contributes to the themes and atmospheres using traditional symphonic notes, all the way to minimalist industrial tones similar to that of Einsturzende Neubauten.

All in all, it's a sci-film with perhaps too much heart to appeal to those who just want to see a cool sci-fi film. For the rest of us, we'll continue to request (and enjoy) a little substance with their saccharin.

Is it True or Not ?

Author: sniktawt from Canada
16 July 2003

I thought this was a decent film with above par acting (I am a huge fan of D.B. Sweeney and Robert Patrick and thought they were great in this) with an excellent, although somewhat exaggerated scene aboard an alien craft, which I really would have liked to have seen more of. The film is based on the true story of an alien abduction in Nov. 1975 of Travis Walton (D.B. Sweeney), one of six loggers returning from a long day's work who happen upon an unidentified object in the forests of Arizona. Travis is the only one who gets abducted. When Travis does not return with the other men they are suspected of murdering him. He does however turn up five days later with his alien story in tow. As far fetched as this may sound, when you watch this, it's hard not to support the fact that Travis Walton was abducted by aliens. Although the film may have embellished it a bit, there are too many facts too support his claim.

I don't believe in U.F.O'S and after I watched this film I still don't but it made me second guess myself, Did it really happen or was this the best case of getting away with the perfect hoax ? Only the real Travis Walton Knows for sure.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]