IMDb > Every Breath (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Every Breath More at IMDbPro »

A Waste of Time

Author: cliffat (cliffat@aol.com) from California, USA
22 March 2001

Jud Nelson is an aspiring actor who becomes involved with a married couple who enjoy playing sadistic games on other people. The husband gets his jollies by burying people alive. If that isn't bad enough, he has a miniature video camera in each coffin so he can watch his victims suffocate.

Horrible little film with no redeeming features.

Author: Xapora from Melbourne, Australia
8 August 2004

This movie has no redeeming features whatsoever. Basically, there's this rich, sick bastard who gets his kicks from watching his wife have sex with other men (he's impotent) and burying people alive (hence the title "Every Breath" ???) which is meant to be some deep metaphor for how he feels in life -- suffocated. The whole premise is nasty. Richard & Lauren prey on people and engage them in erotic games for their own pleasure. I think we're meant to feel sorry for Lauren or something but she's just a messed up bitch. Meanwhile, what the hell is Judd's character DOING? He has a lovely doting girlfriend and he ditches her for these weirdos. This is not only a sick movie but a bad one too. The subject matter is distasteful and the acting atrocious. Avoid at all costs. A complete waste of time. Utter, utter CRAP.

Pointless and nasty

Author: Koli from Shropshire, England
1 March 2001

Dodgy plot, dodgy script, dodgy almost everything in fact. The most compelling performance is that of Joanna Pacula as Lauren, but even that does not rescue this pointless and nasty film. The director's implicit invitation to viewers is not merely to suspend disbelief but to suspend judgement.

Presumably it is intended to be steamy and menacing, but although the film has its erotic moments they are few and far between. This sort of thing has been done better by lots of others. Don't go out of your way to see it.

Pacula good; the rest, weird

Author: smatysia (feldene@comcast.net) from Houston
1 February 2003

What can you say about this one, other than how lovely Joanna Pacula is? At least one of the main characters is deeply psychotic, and you don't find this out at first. I guess you have to give it credit for not being a formulaic copy of something else. Judd Nelson was OK in a part where he is continually shocked by the madness around him. I give it a higher score than otherwise due to Pacula. Fans of hers should see this. Anyone else...I dunno...

Grade: D

Poor movie ; Great soundtrack

Author: calpar-1 from United States
3 April 2008

Totally forgettable movie but an unbelievable soundtrack: I'd give it (soundtrack)a 9 out of 10. I have the CD and the guitar work (Nils Lofgren) is superb! I saw the movie years ago and had to check IMDb to remember what it was about. I obsessed about getting the soundtrack and have since had to replace it. It ranges from blues/soul/ballad to a dose of gospel. All songs written, arranged, produced and performed by Nils Lofgren who is the "other" lead guitarist opposite Steve Van Zandt in the E Street Band. This dude can play! The vocals are handled by Nils (he can't sing very good-too raspy), Bonnie Sheridan (who is a great singer) and Tom Lepson.

Weird movie but great soundtrack

Author: jsokohl-1 from United States
6 October 2005

I agree about the movie...but the soundtrack is well worth listening to. Performed and written by Nils Lofgren, it also features vocals by DC blues singer Tommy Lepson and veteran Bonnie Sheridan Bramlett...of Delaney & Bonnie fame. Also nice harmonica from Mark Wenner of the band The Nighthawks.

Good tunes wasted in a tedious movie. Still, I did think some of the cinematography was OK...as I recall, the movie had an interesting light to it--a dark, nighttime cast. Yet good music, good cinematography, and even good-looking people can't save an impossibly written, completely unbelievable plot.