IMDb > Ed and His Dead Mother (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ed and His Dead Mother

Ed and His Dead Mother More at IMDbPro »

You'll either HATE it or LOVE it (like I did)

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
11 June 2005

Rarely on IMDb do you see such divergent reviews--lots of HATED ITs and LOVED ITs but not so many scores in between. I think this is because to love it, you MUST be the sort of person that can appreciate sick, over-the-top comedy--like I do! This is similar to the movie EATING RAOUL, but it seems to be better written and acted.

The film begins with Ed limping through life well after the death of his beloved mother. He's obviously in a funk and can't seem to get her early death out of his mind. Then, completely out of the blue, a guy dressed in a white suit walks into Ed's hardware store and offers to bring Ed's mom back from the dead! All this only in the first few minutes of the movie! Yes, it does have some mildly gross moments (though most is described, not shown) and some VERY kooky moments (such as the newly revived Mom chasing dogs and cats up and down the street with a riding mower after she gets a taste for BLOOD). Not everyone's cup of tea, to be sure, but if you like 'em wild and irreverent and off-color, you MUST give this movie a try--if you can find it! This was not released to the theaters (wimps!) and is hard to find on tape--you'll probably need to order it, like I did.

One reviewer compared this movie, unfavorably, to DEAD ALIVE. I saw both films and thought ED AND HIS DEAD MOTHER was a much funnier and less disgusting film. I also didn't think the plot was stolen, though there are a few similarities, I grant you. DEAD ALIVE is more like an EVIL DEAD/NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD film (complete with ALL the gore) while ED AND HIS DEAD MOTHER has almost no gore and is more funny to me (though I am sure opinions will vary).

UPDATE: This film has been shown a lot on Showtime recently, so if you have the channel keep an eye out for it.

A Movie well done!

Author: Empire-7 (stealersky@aol.com)
20 July 2000

While I was flipping through the channels one day I happened upon Ed and His Dead Mother. Seeing as how it had Steve Buscemi in it I had to watch it. THANK GOD! This movie is great! Ned Beatty is absolutely hysterical in it. The way he delivers some of his one liners, is enough to make you laugh till you cry. I had the pleasure of watching this movie with absolutely no expectations, and I'm glad. If you just want to sit down and watch a really funny, and definitely original movie, I highly recommend this one!

Quirky.. I love it

Author: needsamuse from Canada
15 July 1999

Don't care what anyone says.. I love this movie! Twas the movie that got me hooked on Steve Buscemi many the year ago... Its odd, quirky, and cheesy-on-purpose. If you go into it expecting that.. You'll probably like it more. I dunno.. This is an all time fave of mine, and a lot of it has to do with the quirkiness of it (I like 'out-of-the-norm' movies.. especially comedies). If yer a Steve fan or not.. Check this movie out for some fun laughs :-)

Very Funny and Irreverent

Author: Kasey Jones from Greensburg, PA
26 March 2002

Good one-liners and great deadpan performances by Steve Buscemi and Ned Beatty highlight this irreverent romantic comedy about death and hardware...? If you can find this little off-beat gem to watch, you shouldn't be disappointed.

While not a movie for everyone, give this one a shot!

Author: Raechel (raecheli@hotmail.com) from St. Cloud, MN
23 August 1999

I first saw this movie on late-night cable; and instantly fell in love with both this film, and the talent of Steve Buscemi. Viewing this movie is HIGHLY entertaining. Although, I have discovered, while watching with groups, that this movie is not for everyone. Some of my friends feel as though it is TOO unbelievable a storyline, making it hard to watch. I feel as though the unrealistic concept is WHAT makes this movie the gem that it is. I also feel as though the supporting cast is fantastic... Of course, it doesn't have the greatest acting in the world...and once again, that is part of its' cultish charm!

I don't know why...

Author: Otis-9 from Olathe, KS
7 July 1999

I don't know why, but I liked this movie. It's one of Steve Buscemi's few leading roles in a movie and I like him as an actor, but my enjoyment of this film went beyond that. I've only seen it on TV a few times (was this ever actually released in theaters?) but I enjoyed it. It has a quirky humor to it and a rather odd storyline. If you ever see this on TV on a Sunday afternoon, watch it.

A gem of a comedy!

Author: hughes4215 from Des Moines
14 November 2004

This dark humor film is not for everyone, but if you have a bit of a twisted intellect this is a very funny film. Not many people seem to know about this movie, which is a shame because I think it is very funny. Steve Buscemi is his usual stellar self. Ned Beatty is fantastic. Rance Howard is a riot as the minister. All around the acting seems to be first rate and I was pleasantly surprised to see how many name actors were involved in this effort. Well, some may not be "name" actors but you will recognize them from the many films and television shows they have done since this film. The production values also seem surprisingly high for this low budget film. I would heartily advise everyone to check this one out. I don't think you will be disappointed - that is again if dark humor is your bag.

Ed and his dead mother is funny as hell

Author: Travis Boothe from United States
6 December 2007

A man has a hard time coming to grips with his mother's death, so he hires a company to bring her back to life. She has to eat living things in order to remain alive, mostly dogs and roaches; the bigger the meal the more life. she overdoses on life and becomes a crazed killer. If you see this movie in any video store, rent it or buy it. Besides the undead mother, other funny things about this movie include Ed's perverted uncle, who always watches the neighbors through a telescope, and tries to listen in to Ed having sex, the one time he does get lucky, "Maybe i can hide in the kitchen and scream out positions to you in case you get stuck on what to do next." Also, there are funny conversations about the process of bringing the mother back to life: "You didn't tell me your mom was an organ doner, ED, if we put her back together the way she is, she'll be good for slobbering and watching Married with Children...."Do you know how hard it is to find parts for a two legged, 1954 caucasian female, Ed?" It is well worth it, and very hard to find. I don't know how this movie has been forgotten.In fact, my last physical fight was in college, over somebody trying to steal my copy of this movie. It is that good.

Very funny, very lean, very dead

Author: osfania
29 June 2003

If you don't understand or love this movie, maybe you should ask your relatives to reanimate you - you could be dead! And didn't you love the job that Gary Farmer did as the harware store clerk??? He continues to be the best actor in almost every film he is in. Wonder what "Fargo" would have been like if he were Buscemi's accomplice?

Funny, but... weird

Author: Matt Kormann from FH, NJ
23 April 1999

This movie offers a strange view on death, and the life after that. Steve Buscemi offers a so-so performance, in this funny, but sick comedy. Even though there are few good ones in the movie, some of parts of the film were funny enough to get a laugh. With an interesting plot, this movie is worth giving a try, if you have nothing better to do...