IMDb > Double Dragon (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Cheese on Toast

Author: Acolyte-2
19 August 2003

Oh, for crying out loud. This was a fun little movie with lots of good action in it that never takes itself too seriously. For what it was intended to be, it can't possibly rate this low. Was it honestly worse than "Highlander 2", with its big budget and big-name stars? Or "Glen or Glenda", a shining example of deep cinematic ineptitude? I don't think so!

It's cheesy, but remember, cheese is good too.

Author: Skeletors_Hood (skeletors_hood@hotmail.com) from Kansas City
6 August 2002

Ok, it's not an Oscar winner, but few films are. It is a campy flick, but it's not the wanna-poke-your-eyes-out-to-stop-the-pain campy, but rather in the realm of a guilty pleasure.

In agreement with an earlier post, this was not supposed to be a film that took itself seriously. Notably, the action was on par with any other martial arts movie being made, and the script had a bunch of smart-assy humor (which I must admit that I'm a big sucker for). It's meant to be a fun film, and that was the end result.

As far as a video game movie is concerned, it's not the worst ever made...Mario Bros is still the king, with Street Fighter in a close second, and Final Fantasy in third place. So you see, there are worst movies that have been made.

And folks, I'm not ashamed to admit that I have the DVD for this film in my collection.

Were you expecting this film to take itself seriously?!

Author: Anthony Bannon (bannonanthony) from Annalong, N. Ireland
7 March 2001

I really don't see what everyone's problem with this picture is! I believe that if any film bases itself on a computer game, then it stands to reason that is not going to take itself seriously for a split second! I played some of the DOUBLE DRAGON games for Nintendo when I was younger and they were pretty jokey themselves. This little picture has great fights, great action and most importantly of all, a great sense of humour. Robert Patrick camps it up wonderfully as bad guy Koga Shuko. A young Mark Dacascos (DRIVE, THE CROW: STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN, CRYING FREEMAN) kicks less butt than usual but is still enjoyable. Alyssa Milano is great as the sardonic revolutionary Marion, and both Dacascos and Scott Wolf as the Lee brothers (Dacascos is 'Home Lee' and Wolf is 'Ug Lee', geddit?) both have a fine line in sarcastic remarks. The car chase near the start with the 'Dragon Wagon' being pursued by Abobo's van is brilliant, especially with the use of computer graphics. Again, a classic example of good, mindless fun!

It's not as bad as all that!

Author: Crystal Land (ShadowGal) from TX, USA
15 August 2004

I feel bad to see that this movie got such an incredibly low rating. Granted, it was no masterpiece. Then again, I don't think it was supposed to be.

I first saw this movie when I was fairly young, and I absolutely adored it. I had a crush on the brothers (the "Double Dragons" of the title), and I borderline-idolized the glow-in-the-dark punk kids. They were just so cool to me!

About a year ago or so--maybe two years ago--I watched this movie at about 2:00 in the morning during the summer, when there was nothing else to watch except infomercials or music videos. I was either 17 or 18. The movie wasn't as good as I'd remembered, but, to my very pleasant surprise, it wasn't nearly as bad as other people remembered it to be.

This is a good late-night movie, or nice if you're in the mood for something cheesy and nostalgic. I give it a 6 out of 10. A little above average--but I think that's just nostalgia. For most people viewing it, it's probably worth a 5.

Gangs of Los Angeles fight with police for the city while the Shadow Lord fights for the other half of a long lost amulet.

Author: die_buffy_die from Canada
5 July 2006

Double Dragon is better then Super Mario Brothers. Then again, so is everything else. The movie was released in 1994, looks like it was made in 1989, and the fashion is circa 1980. Why is it people from the future dress like they're from the past? And why is it Alyssa Milano looks hefty? It was terrible, unsophisticated and bumpy.

That said, it gave me exactly what I wanted. Slapstick Sung-fu action and a few familiar faces. I enjoyed. You don't rent a movie like Double Dragon because you want an engaging plot. You rent it to relive your childhood hi-jinx.

Watch it and I guarantee you that you'll be downloading an emulator and playing it within a week.

Double the stupidity...

Author: Frank Markland from United States
14 June 2006

Mark Dacascos and Scott Wolf star as Jimmy and Billy Lee, two brothers who join forces to keep a magic medallion out of the hands of a gang leader (Robert Patrick in an embarrassing performance) he already has the half of it and he'll do anything to get the other half. People often times wonder why Robert Patrick and Mark Dacascos never got that far in their careers. Well for those that are curious, here is your reason. Double Dragon is easily one of the worst video game adaptions and from what I remember about the video game, this isn't one that is all that hard to adapt. Indeed had this been done as an Indianna Jones style thriller with numerous martial arts fights, we might have had something. What the movie ends up being is a cheeseball adaption that fails to engage anyone over the age of 11. Although i'm not sure even if small children will enjoy something so stupid. It's a bad movie. Just plain bad.

* out of 4-(Bad)

It's not as bad as they say... it's even worse!

Author: mentalcritic from Southern Hemisphere
29 August 2006

My first acquaintance with the Double Dragon feature film was through a collection of video captures hosted on the X-Entertainment web site. Even they could not prepare me for the purely abysmal experience that the film proper represents. Like so many video game films after it, Double Dragon takes a perfectly good idea for a video game and turns it into an abysmal feature film. The film itself has a few things in common with the video game: the title and a few character names. The game featured one or two players moving a character from the left of the screen to the right, punching and kicking seven bells out of anyone who dared to get in their way. Unfortunately, Greenleaf Productions and director James Yukich thought that by aiming the film at children too young to remember any of the video games, they might make some money. Fortunately, the adults who were old enough to have played the classic video games ignored the film as it deserved. We certainly would not want the powers that be in Hollywood getting the idea that we actually like this kind of crap, after all.

The first problem lies in the screen writing. What made the video games so compelling was that they made as little effort as possible to differentiate its setting from the reality of the player. The story, such as it was, was secondary to people beating each other senseless. In the feature film, the writers attempt to give the story of Double Dragon a background, a motivation, or a reality. They manage to get all three, that much is true, but they all come out the same way: incredibly silly. Making matters worse is some incredibly stupid costume design. I do not know who designed Alyssa Milano's attire for this flick, but I am just betting they spent much of the time when they first saw what they had made laughing at poor Alyssa. Whomever designed the makeup effects for the Abobo character should have been arrested for crimes against the viewer. I do not know exactly what they were trying to achieve with all the lumpage on his body, but whatever it is, they failed. Perhaps his best scene is when Milano is force-feeding him spinach in one of the weirdest interrogations on film.

Also looking to fire their agent is Robert Patrick, who was at the time struggling to capitalise on his burst of fame after Terminator 2. Perhaps his agent told him that films based upon video games were going to be the new big thing. What the agent forgot to mention was that while they were a new big thing, they were a new big thing in unintentional comedy. Preceded by one year with Super Mario Bros., Double Dragon set a new low in cinematic history that it took another five years to worsen in the form of Wing Commander. I have no doubt in my mind at all that when Patrick looks back at this film, he thinks to himself "this is the moment I took what was still a salvageable career, and flushed it down the can". His performance is utterly terrible here, so I am inclined to blame the level of pathetic that Double Dragon reaches upon the director. After all, he has shown already that he is more than capable of turning in a good performance with halfway decent direction. Not that a good performance from either would have saved this cinematic abortion.

Another problem for a film based upon a beat-em-up video game is that the fight scenes are terribly executed. The camera rarely sits still long enough to make out what is going on, the choreography is utterly terrible, and the actors chosen for the parts clearly have no idea what they are doing. Was it really that difficult to get some people who really know their martial arts for the task? Hell, let's farm the rights out to Golden Harvest, they at least know how to choreograph a halfway decent fight scene. Especially poor are the scenes with Abobo, where none of the superhuman strength the film goes to great pains to tell us he has is actually utilised. Much like Michael Beck in Xanadu, he is really there as window dressing. Part of the problem here is that the canonical character Abobo is meant to appear superhuman in size, and the film just goes too far in trying to maintain that illusion. It would be better to have left the character out of the story altogether than present us with the tumour-encrusted visage we get here.

Even as an unintentional comedy, Double Dragon is a failure. Sure, there are moments when the viewer is either going to laugh or cry, the moment when Marian force-feeds Abobo spinach being a prime candidate. However, these moments are too infrequent, and the film takes itself far too seriously otherwise, for this to be anything other than a mean-spirited laugh at the principal actors. Half of the dialogue sounds like it was ADRed by prepubescent children, and none of the actors save Robert Patrick look like they could punch their way out of a bag of potato chips. I can still remember when the advertising corps. made a big deal about this being a film based on a video game, back in the days before films based on video games had a reputation for being universally terrible. And I still wonder what the hell Alyssa Milano's costume designer was smoking. In at least half of the shots she is in, she looks like she is contemplating force-feeding spinach to her agent until he vomits up a lung.

For these reasons, I gave Double Dragon a one out of ten. Between watching this film again and being given a spinach enema, I would choose the spinach. You must be wicked hardcore if you can sit through this.

Decent Cheesy Fun,With Some Fun Performances!

Author: callanvass
11 June 2005

This is decent cheesy fun, with fun performances, however, Streetfighter is better!. Now don't get me wrong i did enjoy it, it's just it could have been a lot better, but again why the heck is this in the bottom 100!, it's enjoyable, cheesy fun if you know what to expect!. I really enjoyed the performances, however i thought the fight scenes could be a little better, and there were a few bland bits here and there, plus the ending kind of sucked. I loved Mark Dacascos and Scott Wolf, and thought they had great chemistry together, however Alyssa Milano was kind of wasted, and thought they could have used her talents better, plus Kristina Wagner was very bland as the Hench woman. This is decent cheesy fun, with some fun performances all around,worth the watch!. The Direction is decent. James Yukich does a decent job here, keeping it lively and colorful,good shots, and he kept the film at a good pace for the most part. The Acting while not anything brilliant is a lot of fun!. Mark Dacascos is great here, he is charming, funny, extremely likable,kicked that ass,is fantastic at martial arts, had awesome chemistry with Scott Wolf, and entertained the hell out of me! (Dacascos Rules!). Scott Wolf is excellent here, he had awesome chemistry with Dacascos, kicked that ass, and was fun to watch!. Robert Patrick is having a lot of fun hamming it up here as the main villain, and i had a fun time watching him! (Patrick rules!). Alyssa Milano is STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS!, and is fine with what she had to do, however i wished they used her more. Kristina Wagner is bland as the Hench woman. Julia Nickson-Soul is good in her short role. Overall worth the watch. **1/2 out of 5

Funny and entertaining!

Author: xyzcosmonaut from Germany
21 August 2004

Out of the various movie versions of computer/arcade games, I found Double Dragon (I'll call it "DD" for most of the review to save on the typing) to be the most entertaining and refreshingly different.

DD has a great sense of humour which doesn't let up for it's entire running time. Unlike the absolutely awful, misguided Street Fighter movie (worth watching because it's so bad!) and the excellent (in my opinion) first Mortal Kombat movie, DD pays fine tribute to it's original source without taking it that seriously and it works.

The bad guys aren't too evil - they're more over-the-top and silly in a way that you hope nothing too bad happens to them - the same goes for the heroes. Everyone in this movie does a great job and Robert Patrick has some pretty funny moments pulling his face and laughing in a deliberately corny, evil way. I love his final scene in the movie - hilarious! Alyssa Milano looks hot in this movie - I love the short blonde look and the clothes she wears. The guys playing the DD brothers are likable and funny.

Overall, the look of Double Dragon is colourful and flamboyant. A huge budget may not have been spent but, to the makers' credit, this fact is part of the movie's charm - there are some CGI moments but not overused like movies made today. Some aspects of DD are similar to the Super Mario Bros movie but this movie is far more entertaining than that. There are plenty of in-jokes and nods to other movies. (POSSIBLE SPOILER: Look out for the cameo appearance by the Double Dragon arcade machine!!)

Anyway, just wanted to show my support and appreciation for a movie I really enjoyed. I think those who pan this movie don't really get it and expect something of a more violent and serious nature - if that's what you want to see then there's plenty of martial arts and action movies out there to your liking. Double Dragon is a cartoon-like movie you can enjoy just for it's fast pace, sense of fun and meaninglessness.

Dumb fun, but that's it

Author: gladrius from US
8 June 2004

I wasn't expecting the next Citizen Kane of this movie, but I was expecting a little more than I got. Double Dragon, the game, is about two of the baddest martial artists the gaming world has ever seen, but the Lee brothers in the movie are a pair of goofballs who don't kick any significant butt until like the last fifteen minutes of the movie. They actually spend most of the movie running away from the bad guys. There are one or two recognizable video game bad guys like Abobo and the lady with the whip, but other than them this movie has almost nothing to do with the game. As far as adaptations of Double Dragon I'd say this rates a little below the cartoon show in quality. You can have some dumb fun by watching this movie, but dumb's the operative word...

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]