IMDb > Dollman vs. Demonic Toys (1993) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Dollman vs. Demonic Toys (V) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Two movies, recycled stock footage equal a sequel for both films!

Author: Miyagis_Sweaty_wifebeater (sirjosephu@aol.com) from Sacramento, CA
23 August 2005

Dollman vs. Demonic Toys (1993) was a sequel for Full Moon's two minor video hits DOLLMAN and THE DEMONIC TOYS. Tracy Scoggins (Demonic Toys) and Tim Thomerson (Dollman) reprise there starring roles in this weird, short and economic sequel. Those evil and wacky dolls from DEMONIC TOYS are giving more headaches and causing grief for Ms. Scoggins. She can''t defeat these twisted toys by herself. Help comes in the form of that diminutive alien Dollman. Dollman armed with his high tech pistol evens the odds against those annoying toys. Can they defeat the toys once and for all? Will Dollman ever get back home? Do they have enough real footage to make this movie enjoyable? You'll have to find out if you really want to track down a copy of DOLLMAN VS. THE DEMONIC TOYS.

For die hard fans only.

What can The Scarecrow say?

Author: Scarecrow-88 from United States
11 August 2006

The film, as reviewed already by many on this site, is a bit short. It gets on with it leaving little room for us to see built story. A hobo falls from a little child's tricycle and his head smashes the solid floor so hard his blood flows for ages, not to mention something magic about his blood "creates" four demonic dolls from thin air and little bolts of lightning. They are the same demonic dolls beleaguered cop Tracy Coggins battled in a previous film{labeled "Demonic Toys"}..a clown with a snake's tail, a baby doll with a potty mouth, an action figure with a twisted sense of rage on his face, and one of those toy robots with lasers that blast out little light rays of red. Coggins realizes that these toys are simply too small for her to reach within the toy factory ducts so she enlists the aide of alien cop from Artorous Tim Thomerson{from the film "Dollman"}and miniature nurse hottie Melissa Behr{from "Bad Channels"}to stop them once and for all. Scoggins is in this film maybe ten minutes, but is quite good in her way too limited time. Thomerson is the true reason to watch this film for he gets to blast dolls with his gun that blows things to smithereens and quip phrases like "Pop goes the weasel". Behr is here for the eye candy. The film lets us into all three crossover stories to this film's point. It's filler for a total absence of story and saves a lot of money, also. Still, it seems that everyone is having fun, but one can really see the budgetary constraints on the filmmakers when it comes to visual effects. The dolls have some large shots against Thomerson and Behr which don't match well with single takes of the dolls from afar. The film's length also shows proper lack of funding. It's clear Full Moon has always been limited somewhat by lack of budget, but always seem to provide casts with spunk. The film has a perverted sense of humor and if one likes this type of junk might really enjoy it despite how really silly it all is.

full moon fun

Author: vamp88 from WI
29 December 2005

First off, I am a fan of the full moon films from the early and mid 90's. So it was cool to see a mix of their franchises on the screen. Like most Full Moon Fanatics, I can't really say why they appeal to me, the budgets aren't high, but the acting is usually above normal straight to video fare and they entertain, I guess that's the bottom line..they entertain.

Now for this movie in particular. The effects were fine (except for the large Baby oopsy),Tim Thomerson always delivers, and both female leads (Tracy Scroggins, and Mellisa Behr), are attractive and do a fine job. Baby Oopsie-Daisy is a riot. I have to admit I really enjoyed the movie, a great way to spend and hour, and that leads me to my only complaint. It was only 64 minutes long. Add in the opening and closing credits along with the flashback sequences to the other movies (Dollman, Demonic Toys, and Bad Channels) to introduce the main characters back stories and you were well under an hour. Now I prefer a shorter movie to a long one. If you can't tell your story in 2hours or so you just aren't trying (in most cases). But this was a little too short, no development. Why did the dwarf security guard join the demonic toys so quickly, who was that girl they sacrificed where did she come from? Show me something rather then explain it with one line of dialog. Anyway felt more like an hour long TV episode rather then a movie.

Final decision : I really enjoyed the time spent watching it. There were some good, and some below average effects. Slightly underdeveloped story and characters, but in the end it entertained. It was funny, had some decent action, and was just plain fun.

cult classic?

Author: brianh-9 from Mississippi, United States
25 February 2004

OK. There are movies you wouldn't tell a soul that you liked for they'd probably want you to get your head examined. This is that film for me. I watched all the "Full Moon Entertainment" pictures from the early and mid 90's(the Puppetmaster films,the Trancer films,Mandroid,Dollman,etc.)a lot. This very little film is just a quickie for you to barely even notice. Tim Thomerson(Cherry 2000,Who's Harry Crumb?,Nemesis)is one of my favorite B movie actors and really has a blast has dollman,a tiny cop with a bad attitude and very "lively" and powerful gun. He does battle with toys possessed by demons(!). There are few who will find not a bit of use for it,but I really enjoy it for it's cult value. ***/*****

Not too bad.

Author: Warlock-5 from Canberra, Australia
26 October 1999

I love the films of Full Moon Entertainment, the best still being The Pit and The Pendulum and the worst being Invisible: The Chronicles of Benjamin Knight. Dollman VS. Demonic Toys falls somewhere inbetween, leaning towards bad. This movie is absolutely ridiculous, a sequel to three of their films (those being Dollman, Demonic Toys and Bad Channels).

But this movie, with all the B-grade charms, still entertained me. I have no clue why, but it just did. The baby doll, looking hopeless compared to Chucky in the animatronic effects department, is riotously funny. The problem with this movie is simply this, it's just not long enough. I have no idea why the film runs 84 minutes in the USA, but here in Australia, it runs a mere 58 minutes. 58 minutes! Good for a cheap laugh or two, and special effects aren't that bad.

AUSTRALIAN CLASSIFICATION:

MA15+ Medium Level Course Language and Violence

!! Who handed out this rating?

Dollman says Playtime is Over

Author: lone-wolf-007 from United States
9 October 2010

Full Moon decided to combine two franchises together and throw in a dose of Bad Channels and out comes Dollman vs Demonic toys. From a B movie stand point its OK. I think there was a missed opportunity here. First off the good, Tim Thomerson (who is always great) returns as Dollman who is searching for the nurse (who got shrunk by aliens in Bad Channels) as I guess for a companion. While this is happening the Demonic toys happened to get resurrected and resume to creating havoc. Tracy Scroggins returns also (from Demonic Toys) as the policewoman trying to stop them. She recruits Dollman to help stop them once and for all. Yes the connection between everything is razor thin and a chunk of the footage is from the three movies this one combines. Also this movie is barely over a hour. I actually wished it was a little longer and I am not sure why its so short. This kind of movie is for fans of the genre and of full moon only. With that in mind and with its short length I can only say that its average. A good idea not fulfilled to its potential.

Tim Bardo

Author: (Vomitron_G) from the Doomed Megalopolis of Blasphemous Technoids
3 August 2010

****CAUTION: This review handles Full Moon ratings, not measured by general horror standards*****

Well, damn it! I liked this one more than I thought I would. Dollman Brick Bardo - find out more about him in Albert Pyun's "Dollman" (1991) - teams up with doll-chick Nurse Ginger - want to get to know her a bit better, then watch Ted Nicolaou's "Bad Channels" (1992) - and even hard-ass & hot-looking cop Gray (Tracy Scoggins) - coming from, guess which film, "Demonic Toys" (1992) - returns to battle it out with the demented bunch of Demonic Toys. And they all get their share! Nicest touch in the plot is undoubtedly demonic doll Baby Oopsy-Daisy wanting to rape Nurse Ginger (Melissa Behr - man, will you just check out that pair of boobies she has, will ya already, yes!) in order to impregnate her and give birth to the reincarnated soul of some Man-Devil. You just gotta love that! Tim Thomerson rocks big-time in this one. Only annoying thingie might be that a lot of (flash-back) footage from "Dollman", "Demonic Toys" and "Bad Channels" are edited into the movie for background-story related reasons. And well, to compensate for the lack of plot there is in this cross-over film, I imagine. Either way, "Dollman vs. Demonic toys" certainly is a must-see for Tim Thomerson fans. Others better go play with their Chucky doll.

Sequel wars

Author: peterpants66 from United States
21 July 2010

The Full-Moon film company is one of the best there is at making horror/Sci-Fi films often less then ninety minutes loaded with trailers and special features at the end, that is while still being on VHS, to say they were ahead of their time is an understatement. Who actually put the money up for these projects? That is a book that should most definitely be written. This gut-buster is the sequel to three, count'm THREE other movies, could this be the first? Hopefully not the last. Tim Thomerson plays the futuristic cop from outer space that is only about a foot-high. Does that mean he can't handle himself on earth with the average human being at least five times his own height? Hell no, he shoots them in half with his huge Magnum! The movie, in somewhat typical sequel fashion is LOADED with clips from the first Dollman, with minimal re-clipping on the other two. This actually works in a way, and if you go into it with no information about the initial releases you'll be fine. Visionaaaaaaaaries! Ten stars, own this!

I didn't see as much stock footage as I here people say

Author: Mileskolehmainen from United States
25 June 2014

DOLLMAN VS. DEMONIC TOYS

🌕🌕🌕🌑🌑 3.1

Not as good as Demonic Toys, but not bad either. You do get to see Jack-in-the-Box out of his box a lot more, which was cool. And all of the minatures are great. Very authentic. The acting is okay to but not as good as Demonic Toys either. The effects are pretty good, but the big version of Baby Oopsie Daisy looks pretty bad from the back. Detective Gray doesn't get that much screen time, sadly, but Tim Thomerson is good as Brick Bardo, the pint sized cop from another planet. The Baby's voice is good, it's sounds a little bit more like a baby than in the other movie, but also has less flare. This film is also very short, especially without the flashback scenes. But it is still a good B-movie, so I'm recommending it to anyone interested in miniatures, and some B-movie fans too.

The Diminutive Duel Disappoints

Author: clopton from United States
5 November 2013

I'm not sure what inspired Charles Band to pair up Dollman and the Demonic Toys. Maybe neither rip-off proved popular enough to headline solo sequels. Either way, in 1993, the tiny titans faced off. For good measure, Ginger, the miniaturized nurse from 1992's "Bad Channels," is also thrown in. This is mostly so Brick Bardo can have an appropriately sized love interest. The two even get a little loving, sharing a sex scene in a kitchen drawer.

"Dollman vs. Demonic Toys" is cheaper then either original. Since Dollman is in-scale with the Toys, Tim Thomerson has to interact with oversized props, which look fine, or actors in cheesy costumes, which don't. The toy warehouse and kitchen sets, filled with giant accessories, are neat though. The cheapness comes from the extensive stock footage. Obviously, this fills in people who haven't seen the previous installments. Knowing penny-pinching Charlie Band though, this was mostly done to save cash. Band actually directs this one and his direction is flat and television-like. The box lists the film as 72 minutes long. This includes the ten-minute VideoZone and ten minutes of credits. The actual film is only 52 minutes long, barely classifying as a feature.

The diminutive duel disappoints. None of the toys prove a match for Brick, each blasted away with ease. A clumsy, bleeding hobo resurrects the evil playthings without further explanation. Grizzly Teddy is replaced with a killer G.I. Joe doll named Zombietoid. You wouldn't think this would matter but it does, especially since he goes down easily. Baby Oopsy-Daisy had an agreeably raspy voice first go-around. Here, Frank Welker provides the voice, a high-pitched, annoying nasally whine. None of the Baby's new dialogue is as amusing either. Half the runtime is wasted setting up the premise, painfully sealing away every plot point from each previous film. The Toy's plan proves half-baked, their demon master staying off-screen this time.

Thomerson sleep-walks through his role, obviously fed up with Full Moon's shenanigans at this point. Tracy Scoggins and her tight t-shirt return, just to die half-way through. The actress seems relieved to go. Full Moon's favorite short person Phil Fondacaro, who horror fans might recognize from "Land of the Dead" and, uh, "Double, Double, Toil and Trouble," plays the warehouse security guard. Like the previous one, he enjoys girlie magazines. Unlike the previous one, Phil kills hookers for the toys, a plot point that goes nowhere. Only Melissa Behr is on the material's level. She doesn't get naked but the movie never hesitates to put her in various skimpy outfits. I'm disappointed "Dollman vs. Demonic Toys" is so lackluster, considering the parent films were guilty pleasures. No wonder Brick Bardo and Ginger would never be seen again, the Demonic Toys not returning until Full Moon's recent, bad, cheap days.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]