IMDb > Dazed and Confused (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dazed and Confused

Dazed and Confused More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 41: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Overlooked as the Masterpiece it is

Author: nsanfilippo96
1 November 2015

I love this movie. This movie is one of my favorites of all time, and is often cited as a cult favorite of others. When people talk of Dazed and Confused they usually mention the funny aspects of it, (Wooderson's Character), and the stoner aspects of it. I think those are just elements of what compose this film. I want to analyze this from a film making perspective.

It's the last day of school in an Austin suburb. The incoming senior class interacts with the incoming freshman through a series of fraternity rituals, and everyone is preparing for a big party that night. When the party is canceled, the teenagers roam their streets looking for action. Richard Linklater doesn't really concern himself with plot as he follows different groups of teenagers throughout this film, which takes place in a less than 24 hour period. This is to his advantage and to the picture's authenticity. Too often movies of the 80s created a very plot driven teen flick. If one actually remembers their teen years they remember for the most part they were aimless, unproductive, and occasionally spontaneous.

In place of a plot Linklater fleshes out a large ensemble cast that feels painstakingly developed by the end of the film. Holding the movie together is Randall "Pink" Floyd, a football player struggling to find his own worth, as many teens do.

These kids drive around, look for drugs, do drugs, and then go home. There aren't any shocking revelations or villainous adults. There is no adventure. Once the beer is gone the party is over. People often classify this movie as a comedy. To be sure it is funny, but it's humor comes from the realism in the way characters behave and talk. We feel like we know these people.

The 70s era doesn't feel dated, especially since this was made in 93. Dazed and Confused transcends the generational boundaries, careful to include enough culture so the era feels alive, but cautious enough to avoid being mired in it. The soundtrack is phenomenal by the way.

Dazed and Confused is in the top 10 movies of the 90s hands down. It is the definitive teen film. From dialogue to acting, direction to score, the movie feels alive and vibrant. It's a masterpiece and still perhaps the best from Linklater.

wonderful film

Author: dyanordakowski from United States
29 September 2014

Dazed and Confused is a one-of-a-kind film that can be watched over and over again without losing a watcher's interest. It is comical and even a little heart-warming. The film is so easy to relate to, especially for teens nearing the end of their high school career. It even makes you a little sad because it forces you to come to the realization that you have to start thinking about your future after high school. Every character in it is easy to identify with and the way all the characters interact with each other is beautiful. The fact that it is so relatable makes it hard to take your eyes off the screen. Not to mention, the actors chosen are perfect for their characters and almost felt as if their characters were real people. I can definitely say that Dazed and Confused is one of the best films I have experienced.

Slow ride.

Author: callanvass from victoria b.c canada
28 December 2013

My sister used to watch this movie all the time, and wear out the soundtrack. Despite all that, I never got around to seeing this movie. It's become somewhat of a cult classic these days. I really enjoyed this film from beginning to end. Not only is it an excellent coming of age film, but you would probably never see a movie like this get made today. I felt this movie mirrored the 70's precisely. The soundtrack is absolutely outstanding. I was already aware of how great it was, thanks to my sister, but you really don't appreciate, until you watch the movie. You can relate to most of these people in one way or another, but I felt Jason London & Wiley Wiggins were the heart of the movie. Jason London is your typical jock, but a likable one. I think we can all empathize with him. Wiley Wiggins will probably have people mixed as the eager freshman. I personally loved him. We've all been in his shoes, wanting to be accepted by more popular peeps. His character lives a dream that we have all wanted to at some point in our lives, whether it's high school or somewhere else. His character embodied that perfectly. Sasha Jenson plays a party animal to a T. Mila Jovovich, Adam Goldberg, Ben Affleck, Cole Hauser, Parker Posey, Matthew McConaughey, all have roles here as well. The funniest moment in this movie for me is when Mitch (Wiley Wiggins) throws a bowling ball out the window, through a car windshield. I cracked up laughing. That is something that I would have probably done when I was that age, stupidly enough. Have you ever just wanted to say "Screw it, I'm getting obliterated tonight, and I'm gonna have a night I'll never forget" something along those lines? This movie does just that. Life is short. Live it up, take chances, get wasted, whatever you wanna do. This is a great coming of age film. It's a cult classic for a reason. See it as soon as possible

8.7/10

Lives up to its reputation.

Author: Indie_Locker from United States
13 July 2013

Often referred to as a cult classic, Dazed and Confused lives up to its name in every way. After his excellent directorial debut, Richard Linklater, who was considered an important up-and-coming director hit every right note in his second feature, cementing his status as one of America's most exciting filmmakers. Even today, the film holds up really well and makes for a non-stop entertaining picture.

The film takes place in the 1970's over the course of one day, the last day of school. Seniors have now officially finished and they are looking for new freshman to 'initiate' which they usually do by means of bullying. Its something that would not fly today but very easily could have been tradition in the past. Where the film strives in its realism is in what these kids do on this last day of school, they party. And a filmmaker like Linklater is perfect for this because of his gift to let characters just walk in and out of the frame and follow a collective group instead of just a few characters. He doesn't just make a few characters stand out, he gives the whole school character.

The film stars some actors that are a lot more well known currently than when this film was released, such as Ben Affleck, Matthew McConaughey, so on and so forth. The entire cast turns in serviceable performances and it makes for one of the more entertaining ensembles to come out of the 90s. With a cast as large as this, it could be easy to make the film too clouded and unfocused, but this is one of Linklater's specialties. He captures an important human connection on film that resonates with us viewers and its part of the large voice he has in American independent cinema.

Linklater appropriately uses music in this film. He chooses songs that we're all familiar with and plays them amongst parts where they're most appropriate; such as playing School's Out by Alice Cooper when school is actually out. Its obvious but fitting since these songs were huge during this time period and it accurately captures the feel of that era. Here we aren't exposed to over-the-top 70's clothing and disco-influenced culture, but we get familiarized with a setting where we could easily see our parents growing up in. The film thrives with realism.

This may be Linklater's most mainstream-appealing independent feature as a director. Slacker could be pretty divisive, its lack of plot could throw off a lot of viewers. Dazed and Confused also doesn't have much of a plot but this film appeals to a large group of people because of how well Linklater captured a familiar experience onto film to which we can all relate to. It makes for one of the most enjoyable films to come from the 90's and stands out as one of the director's most accomplished features.

Fun '70s Movie

Author: marx686 from United States
5 June 2013

I went to high school in the early 70s. D&C does capture some of the fun of that era before AIDS, 9-11, Homeland Security, locker searches or much of the junk we put up with in 2013. In the Northeast we never had Freshman hazing, so I found that stuff a bit hard to relate to. I read here that was common in Texas high schools. I would recommend D&C not as great filmmaking but simply a fun look back at high school in a unique time that only lasted a few years. For young people that want to get a feel for the 70s, watch this film. Also see Fast Times at Ridgemont High and the first two seasons of That 70s Show. Freaking awesome, dude!

This movie is amazing and this is coming from a current teen

Author: jscott7432 from United States
19 October 2011

I have watched this movie so many times I love it. I am a teen now and this movie makes me wish I lived in the 70's. After watching this movie I feel like I have lived and been through the 70's it's amazing. I would give up all the technology, clothes, and the music I like to get a chance to live in the 70's. I wish times were simple again with no computers, cell phones, etc. The 70's just seemed like they were amazing to live in like how so many kids were cool with smoking pot, cigarettes, drinking, etc. today that is not the case. I love this movie so much I don't know exactly what it was like to live in the 70's and I never will but this movie is the closet thing I will ever get to it. Yes I love some things about my generation but that generation was so much cooler. Whoever made this movie did a really good job.

Brings Back Memories!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
19 August 2011

Dazed and Confused is a great, funny movie that brought back some good memories of my high school days. I did not go to high school in the 1970's but many things that take place in this movie happened at my high school just in a different decade.

This is about the last day of school at a Texas high school in 1976 and what happened the rest of that day and night.

It was refreshing to see actors before they got famous. I barely recognized Ben Affleck and Matthew McConaughey. The cast did an excellent job.

The soundtrack is amazing. There are many great classic rock bands I enjoy such as Aerosmith, Lynryd Skynyrd, and Foghat.

Overall, this is a fun movie. I forgot how girls used to use pliers to fit in their jeans. That doesn't happen much nowadays. I rate this film 8/10.

Great Look Back at the Drugs and Rock 'n Roll of the 70s

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
11 August 2011

Dazed and Confused (1993)

*** 1/2 (out of 4)

Richard Linklater's nostalgic look back at the final day of school when the soon-to-be-seniors get drunk and stoned waiting for their first year at the top of the food chain while the incoming freshmen get prepared for a year of getting picked on. A wide range of character drink, smoke and have fun talking about what life is about to offer them. I think it's fair to say that this film did for the 70s what American GRAFFITI did for the 50s in that it was a very nostalgic look back for a director who was clearly putting his memories on film so that future generations could look back and use the film to say that's what it was like back in the day. Director Linklater does a remarkable job capturing the mood and spirit of teenagers and the colorful soundtrack really packs a punch even if none of the characters are really drawn out any. If there was a flaw with the film its the character who are all lovable but at the same time there's really nothing but one stereotype after another, although some might say this was done on purpose by the director. What does work here is that the actors playing these parts are at the top of their game and seeing this movie today is a lot different than when I saw it in theaters back when it was first released. I still remember watching this movie and being impressed by all of the unknowns but when you see the film today it's rather shocking to see how many went on to bigger things. Jason London, Rory Cochrane, Wiley Wiggins, Adam Goldberg, Matthew McConaughey, Milla Jovovich, Joey Lauren Adams, Ben Affleck and Parker Posey are just a few of the familiar faces and all of them do a fine job with their characters. Another important part of the film is its terrific soundtrack, which includes the likes of Aerosmith, Bob Dylan, Alice Cooper, ZZ Top, KISS, Deep Purple, Ted Nugent, Peter Frampton, War, Nazareth and many others. This soundtrack is certainly a killer album with one great track after another and there's actually more music than actual dialogue. There's no question that the story is fairly light as there's really not too much going on except for drinking and smoking but I think there was a point to that. I think Linklater is certainly telling more messages than your typical high school film and there's no question that the quality here is much higher than you'd normally see. The young faces and terrific music are two of the biggest highlights and in the end there's no way not to be impressed with what you're seeing.

Flashes me back -- every time

Author: artemis-23 from United States
22 January 2011

OK, it's lean on content and wit, as well as storyline, but if you were in HS between '75 and '77, you will appreciate this flick. I have watched it at least 10 times, and still can't pass it up when it's on the tube. I'm sure it's cult status has everything to do with all of us who actually had a high school experience similar to this and completely respect Linklater for recreating a snippet of our youth.

Linklater's duplication of the time period is right on -- from the clothes, to the cars, the drugs, and the average-joe blue collar environ -- and even though shot in Austin, it could have been MY high school (except our doors were turquoise)and pretty much is representative of my HS experience.

This was one of the first movies to really use a soundtrack in a way that hits a chord realistically with the time period it represents. Makes me want to break out a quart of Miller, slip on some sky-high clogs and bell bottoms and crank up Foghat.

This movie isn't for everyone, and it's not intended to be. It's by a child of the 70's FOR us children of the 70's. We don't care what the rest of you think -- we enjoy the flashback and revel in it.

Hmm. Not at all sure.

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
16 May 2010

I can understand, I think, how this movie has struck a chord with so many. But since I grew up in the 60s in the rural UK, I am not one of them.

I was impressed at the ensemble of "before they were famous" actors - from that point of view the movie bears comparison to Fast Times At Ridgemont High.

But a large part of the movie seems to be about "initiation rituals", and that is something which I found both alien and repellent to the extent that it turned me off the movie to a large extent. It was not something which happened in my school days although I suspect that end of year mayhem is one of a number of US imports to the UK in the years since then for which I do not care.