IMDb > Cool Runnings (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 8 of 10: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Whooa

Author: mulveymeister from Ireland
15 February 2009

This film leaves me breathless. It is like a prescription tonic for the credit crunch. John Candy is wonderful. The bob-sleigh team is a true Ambassador for Jamaica. You add in the nasty Germans, the resentful Americans and the whole amateur sports is controlled by professionals nonsense. It all works. I know some very cynical Capitalists who expressed themselves above such candy floss trivia and yet whooped for Jamaica by the last run :-)

This is my favourite feel-good film of the 90's. If you have seen it already - do yourself a favour and watch it again. Everyone needs some buttons to help them through bad economic times and I've yet to find better.

Cool Runnings Rules!

Must watch

Author: liam_iz_special from United Kingdom
2 November 2008

I gave this film a ten, not because it is the greatest film of all time. In term of film as a science, it is not the best and many others fly by it in terms of quality. But this film has something which I think is missing from a lot of films, and is missing from a lot of other Disney projects, heart. It is a truly happy film, it is a film which can lift you no matter how bad you feel. The whole concept about the little guy beating the big guy is a bit clichéd, but it works beautifully. The acting is actually pretty good, and John Candy is actually very good and if he had turned in the same quality in a film that wasn't meant for kids easy to imagine some serious awards for him. My final reason for you watching this film is simple, I am 18 years old and I still but cant help at cry at two moments in this film. It just makes me feel so happy and hopefully...SEE THIS FILM

Funniest Movie Ever

Author: e_cookie_22 from Canada
11 May 2008

"No people say, you know they can't believe, Jamaica, we have a bobsled team." This chant describes this movie, the funnest movie ever made! From the first minute, to the heart pounding finish, I did not stop laughing. This movie is loosely based in the Jamican bobsled team at the 1988 winter Olympics. It is a true story, just slightly modified, to make room for more comedy. The plot is easy to follow. I could not stop watching because I had to know how it ended. The acting in this movie was incredible. With only one big name actor, John Candy, you would never know that none of the actors never made it big time. Doug E. Doug was the only other actor that ever made it somewhere. He later stared in the T.V. show 'Cosby' ( not to be mistaken with 'The Cosby Show') and voiced Bernie in 'Shark Tale'. The bobsledding scenes were really well done. The camera work was great and the transitions from a movie camera, what would be shown on a TV screen and the REAL footage from the Olympics was perfect. I have seen this movie over 50 times ( no joke) and i still laugh when i watch it. It is great for all ages and and is a must see.

Long live Jamaica!

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
31 October 2007

When I saw "Cool Runnings" the first time, I mostly cracked up at the line about drawing a line down the middle of Yul Brynner's head (cut me some slack; I was nine years old). Nowadays, I understand that the movie did focus on a real story and so at least had that value. While it was silly at times and did try to pull at emotions at times, I still consider it a pretty admirable movie. John Candy (who would have turned 57 today) plays one of his slightly more serious roles as the Jamaican bobsled team's manager; I always say that these movies show what we lost when he died. But among other things, I just like to see Jamaica. I mean, the country that gave us calypso and reggae also had a bobsled team! All in all, a pretty good movie.

Feel the rhythm...

Author: katie-35 from New Orleans, LA
12 April 2007

There was no real coach who committed a breach of character. The four bobsledders in the movie were not the actual people. They were Harris, Stokes, White, and Clayton.

Two Americans with Jamaican business interests got the idea after witnessing a Jamaican pushcart derby. Yes, they decided that these sprinters were perfect for push bobsledding.

There was no sprinter who tripped in the Olympics causing the bobsledding try instead (this was in the movie). The Winter Olympics had already passed and it was now time for the Summer Olympics, so that kicks that premise out.

The names of Yul Brenner (after actor Yul Brynner who was bald), and Sanka (whose last name in the film was Coffie) were inside jokes. Also Sanka means sled in several Slavic languages.

The push bobsled team did enter again in 1992, finishing 14th. They won the Gold Medal in 2000. In 2006 they failed to qualify.

I read so much misinformation, I thought I would correct some. Did I enjoy the spirit of these men and the movie? Absolutely. It has a nice mix of characters and gives one an uplifting spirit. I've watched it more than once. And probably will watch again in a few years. Great inspiration.

Best Turtletaub film.

Author: mariaontario from United States
20 January 2007

This is the director's best film ever - forget 'National Treasure' which was an absolute joke with no heart. Cool Runnings has LOTS of heart. Almost everyone gives this a 10.

For anybody who follows international sports, the characters and organizations in this movie ring true. Whether you follow skating, gymnastics, skiing, or any other essentially solo international sports, you have seen the loners, the chosen stars, the politics, fund raising, and everything else that goes on behind and in front of the scenes. John Candy rules as the coach as well as the team.

This movie captures those people and circumstances exceptionally well. As has been noted in the coverage of the Olympics, the parallels to Bobsled team are stunning. But it is exactly the dated fashions, music, cinematography, skiing equipment, and attitudes that make it a keeper.

Candy is the quintessential American loner, out for his own goals and not interested in serving the needs of his sport, his team, or the international press. It's a character we've seen a thousand times in real life, and it's one who gets deified or demonized depending on his success in the field of sport.

I love the line 'If you're not enough without the gold medal you'll never be enough with it'

Not bad

Author: jthebeatles from Skelton Green, Saltburn.
9 July 2006

Cool runnings is not at all a *BAD* film, but its not perfect, but its O.K so watch it. Jamaican Bobsled team, okay...but it turns out to be good: interesting, funny and all that stuff but like i said before , its not *PERFECT* i think it should be higher than whats its marked on IMDb though. I think it should be round about seven or somewhere near that...Seen films better but not bad...I like it where the Jamaican Bobsled team are doing lifts on the bars and The Coach has to push Sanka up because he cant do it himself. I also like where he kisses his luck egg. People might think different to me but thats my report on Cool runnings...

George Rymer, Age: 9

A Winner

Author: George Attwood from Canada
31 March 2006

COOL RUNNINGS ****1/2 Based on the story of the four Jamaicans who made it to the national winter bobsledding Olympics despite all odds and returned to their home country as heroes, even though they didn't get a trophy; they had a profound impact on Jamaica's national heritage and history. In this script, we find four Jamaicans of different social classes joining together to make a riot of a team that keeps the laughs rolling. With great one-liners, wholesome family entertainment, and in-depth, realistic content, 'Cool Runnings' is a film you're sure to enjoy. It's a winner. One of John Candy's last films.

Rating System

***** Excellent **** Good *** Fair ** Poor * Bad

A great film for all the family.

Author: Ellen Murphy from United Kingdom
27 February 2006

When I first thought about watching this film with my family I thought it would be some kind of cheap kids movie, but I was so wrong.It was really funny and touching at the end. It tells a story of 4 Jamaican runners who want to become the first Jamaican bobsleigh, yes bobsleigh team. Then they are trained by a former gold medallist. The story is exciting but light hearted and a pleasure to watch I would recommend this film to any one who enjoys good quality, feel good movies and any age. The acting is brilliant as the stars put over the fact that they having a good making it as well as the characters. Costumes are bright and colourful much like the clothes in Jamaica so it also seems realistic. Well done to all who made this and I hope future viewers have as much fun watching this film as I did!

A great Story

Author: Amsomnia Studios (lerkim@gmail.com) from Denmark
20 February 2006

Cool Runnings were are movie that i have seen over 15 times and why ? well cool runnings is a great compenation of Laughs And Feeling I Don't Know Why but this movie made me actually cry in the end it is not like the end is like sorrow no the end is just so beautiful and so heart felt that you would like to see it many times more and what makes this movie even greater is the acting of john candy it is good for a time to see him in a more serious acting don't get me wrong the movie is really a laugh out but it is also really heart felt it has a lot of wrongs yeah but when you first are cut up in the motion you cannot stop watching it all in all it is a must see

Page 8 of 10: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]