IMDb > Cool Runnings (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 6 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Inspiring and hilarious.

Author: Daniela Amigo from Mar del Plata, Argentina
20 August 2003

We've watched 'Cool Runnings' as part of our curriculum in a course for children who learn English as a Foreign Language.The moral values portrayed in this movie were really great for the children, who tend to compete in almost every aspect of their lives. The film also proved to be funny enough for them to have a good time as well.

very entertaining movie for the whole family

Author: Philip Libman from Israel
26 June 2003

great video rental! We miss John Candy more and more, when we see how well he plays here. This movie is funny and definitely for the whole family. Even the story is true, it is not well known to most and therefore the suspense is kept to the end. Cool Running!

a great time

Author: Special-K88
28 February 2002

Funny, family-oriented Disney film is the entertaining true story of the first ever Jamaican bobsled team. Determined to make it to the Winter Olympics, four sprinters enlist the aid of a former American bobsled coach to try and achieve an almost impossible dream. Despite being met with hostility and disrespect, they maintain their dignity and find in each other the will and determination to give it their all and represent their country with honor. The familiar story elements along with an obvious setup make it occasionally predictable, but enthusiastic performances, a likable, feel-good script, and lots of laughs make it worth your while. One of those films that's been done time and time again, but that you can really get behind. ***

Cute

Author: xsophietaylorx from United Kingdom
24 September 2014

It had been about 6/7 years since I had watched Coolrunnings I remember I was rather fond of this film and thought I would try relive it. It was recently put on Netflix and the opportunity arose. Coolrunnings is about a Jamaican bobsled team. The film has likable characters and John Candy as usual plays a brilliant role as the stubborn old coach. Sanka seems to be the most funny I found the one I got the most laughs out of this film is good for two reasons, one - it's based on true events so really it is teaching you the past in a way. Secondly it's just a pleasant film just an OK watch I think once you've seen it a couple of times it does get abit boring but the first few times are well worth the watch. The ending is rather moral and nice

Good

Author: Harriet Deltubbo from United States
5 September 2014

The screenplay is intelligent, focused and clever. I much enjoyed this film, mostly because of the convincing characters. I am aware of much of the criticism around this movie, claiming it is bad and not worth seeing. To all those who have said these things, I have to ask: What film were you watching? With style, charm, and humor to spare, this film was among the top echelon of movies from 1993. I laughed and was moved and all of that good stuff. At the end of the day, it's a fun, entertaining film. Wonderful movie, and I should know, I practically grew up on it. An excellent and difficult production, bolstered by great performances.

It's all an illusion

Author: jessegehrig from United States
12 August 2014

This movie is Vanilla Ice's movie Cool As Ice's brother, although Cool Runnings is Cool As Ice's much more successful brother. At the movie family reunion sometimes it get's awkward. Was this movie based on a cartoon? I'm trying to remember which cartoon it is but I have various chemicals coursing through my veins inhibiting memory. The plot of this movie involves dinosaurs, particularly a precocious young dinosaur who has recently just lost his parents, or is that the Land Before Time? What's this movie about then? Is this the one about the post apocalyptic future, or the one about the Olympics? I love the Olympics! This movie is better than well over five thousand of all the movies ever made!

Geeky Randy's summary

Author: Geeky Randy from United States
18 July 2014

Loosely based on the true story of the first Jamaican bobsled team trying to make it to the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Plagued by factual errors, and is a forced comedy that may have been smarter (and more authentic) to sell as a drama. Definitely takes a while to get going, but if you have the patience and are eager to make it to the end, you'll find that the laughs and the charming characters are worth the effort. Originally titled "Blue Maaga". Those who make it to the closing credits will be rewarded with Jimmy Cliff's excellent cover of Johnny Nash's "I Can See Clearly Now".

**½ (out of four)

Cool film!

Author: englishroom-201 from France
30 March 2014

We loved the film. Favourite phrase : "You dead, man?".

We liked the sport, the courage and pride of the bobsledders.

The film is very funny, Sanka is funny with his egg.

Favourite character : Sanka. The film is very funny, Sanka is funny with his egg.

Favourite phrase : "You dead, man?".

We loved the music. We loved the film. We liked Jamaica and Canada.

The team spirit is very important. Favourite character : Sanka.

We liked Jamaica and Canada. We liked the sport, the courage and pride of the bobsledders.

The 5A class in Fréjus

Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, its bobsled time! Cool Runnings is a cool movie! No problem, man!

Author: ironhorse_iv from United States
12 February 2014

This underdog sport movie is sure to touch you and lift your spirit. It's nearly a perfect family film. The film is loosely based on a series of true events of the first ever Olympic Jamaican Bobsled Team during the 1988's Calgary Winter Olympic Games. The movie by director Jon Turteltaub takes a lot of creative liberties in the story, recreate a movie infusing enough humor, heart and charm to make this story, very entertaining. The movie tells the story of four Jamaicans athletes, seeking a new way to make their country proud after failing the Olympic tryouts in track & field. All four, find the way in, through an ex-bobsledder named Irving Blitzer (John Candy) whom was banned from the sport, due to cheating. Now, living in shame, in Jamaica, Irving has become an alcoholic has-been. The team enlists his services to be their coach, and soon we find ourselves that maybe Team Jamaica might have a chance to make it to the Olympics, after all. The comedy was funny and enjoyable as each archetype character brings in a lovable trait in that makes it worth watching. First off, there is Derice Bannock (Leon) who dreamt of Olympic grander even if it's takes him losing his Jamaican identify by copying the Swiss team to do it. Then there is Junior Bevil (Rawle Lewis) whom lives under the strict watch of his wealthy father who doesn't wholeheartedly support his Olympic goals as a sub-plot. Third is Yul Brenner (Malik Yoba) who lacks a good education but makes up for that with physical strength and macho attitude. He is often mistaken as a thug. Last person in the team is Sanka Coffie (Doug E. Doug) whom may not be the best athlete of the four, but carries the most heart and pride in being Jamaican. The bobsledders portrayed in the film are fictional, but at less, the movie could had more realistic names for the four characters than naming one out of a pot of coffee, and an old Western actor. It's like naming a fast runner, Usain Bolt. Wait a minute, the last one is really his name. Haha. In the film, the team is formed by Jamaican sprinters after failing to qualify for the 1988 Summer Olympics. In real life, the Jamaican Summer Olympic Trials would have occurred following the Winter Olympics in Calgary. Irving "Irv" Blitzer is a fictional character as well; the real team had several trainers, none of whom were connected to any cheating scandal. In the sport of bobsledding, adding weight to the sled is perfectly legal. Both two and four-man sleds have minimum and maximum weights. As of this writing, the character of Irving Blitzer did nothing wrong. John Candy is amazing in the role, and it's sad that he died so soon after this movie. The villains of the film, if you can call them 'villains' are the East German team lead by arrogant leader, Josef (Peter Outerbridge) who treat the Jamaicans with serious scrutiny. Like the cartoony Jamaican stereotypes, the East German portrayal in the film are just outlandish racist. The only thing missing is the pencil thin mustaches for them. In real life, the East German team was very supported to the Jamaican bobsled team. There were somewhat true things about the film that worth noting. They did indeed turned up in Calgary without a sled. The nightclub fight didn't happen, but they almost start a riot there, when their singer got carried away and tried to sing a country song during a fund raiser for the sled. They were disqualified by the Olympic committee, but able to gain appeal. It was because the lack of training and whole thing about not having a sled. Not because cheating. Without spoiling too much of the ending, the events that happen are way different than that in real life, but the crash footage was the real life footage shot that day in 1988. The movie is so sport clichés that it's predictable to watch. The slow-building standing ovation is an example of this cheese formula. The film's depiction of such bobsledders carrying the sled over the line on their shoulders for dramatic effect works. This film in a masterful way shows that what matters is not always the victory but just being there and participating. Throughout the course of the movie we see the team prove to the world through their persistence that they are just as good as any other team, regardless of where they come from. They learn to become a team, learn to take pride in their culture, and do a lot of self-discovery. Even if the film itself, verges on being a bit mushy. Great morals that children will pick up on. There is some mild use of profanity, and few violent, but for the most part, it's worth watching with your children. The humor works, and the soundtrack is perfectly suited to support the mood of the movie. While the film was made by Americans. I think Jamaicans can find this movie, interesting to watch. Without this film; there wouldn't be much of a Jamaican bobsled program. The Jamaican national bobsled team still represents Jamaica in international bobsledding competitions even today. One of the original bobsled team member even won a Gold Medal in the Olympic in 2006 for Canada. International fans would love it for its Olympic source material, and the use of supporting your culture. So ya mon, it's a good movie!

John Candy is the Coach

Author: billcr12 from United States
22 August 2012

John Candy is Irving Blitzer, a former Olympic medalist in the bobsledding, who was disgrace and stripped of his medals for cheating. He moved to Barbados and became a bookie. He meets a Jamaican sprinter named Derice, and a pushcart racer, Sanka, and they convince him to coach them for the Calgary Winter Olympics. Two more sprinters join the team and Irving acquires an old sled to practice with. They are mocked by the East German team, resulting in a bar fight.

The team trains hard, and after struggling, finally qualify for the Olympics. John Candy is excellent as the affable coach, and the athletes, convincing as the bobsledders. The feel good Rocky, triumph over adversity story has been done many times, and Cool Runnings is one of the funnier ones.

Page 6 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]