IMDb > Cool Runnings (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

way cool movie

Author: RhysIfansFan from Austin, TX
7 February 2003

I just got through watching this movie for the second time- the first time was when it first came out a few years back. :) I think this movie is such an inspiring story, a good one to watch for those who have a dream but are having trouble getting there. I highly recomend this movie!

The ultimate feel-good film

Author: Harry Reardon from London, England
29 June 1999

Although recently pipped by The Truman Show for the much-heralded title of my favourite film, this is, without a doubt, my favourite feel-good film. Sure, it's not perfect, but who can resist the witty wisecracks of Sanka "How 'bout I draw a line down the middle of your head so it looks like a butt" Coffey, the determination of Junior "Bad Ass Mother" Bevil to break free from the shackles of his father, or the absolutely wonderful ending with the team carrying the sled up the track with everyone cheering? If you want to watch a film that will warm your heart, look no further than Cool Runnings.

May not be the entire truth, but a great movie nonetheless

Author: Willy D. from Australia
7 October 2005

Sure it mightn't be full truth, but who doesn't enjoy this great movie? I loved it, II have a serious soft-spot when it comes to comedy but this movie is up there with some of the best e.g. Zoolander :) I liked it so much because of the great range of comedy in it, slapstick, visual and audio comedy. The bright colours of Jamaica keeps the watchers attention right the way through in the teams' clothes. There is some great acting. John Candy does exceptionally well in my view as well as Doug E. Doug. The music chosen is great, fits in to the story nicely e.g. the song during the training session called "Rise Above It" So all in all it's a great watch for all ages.

One of John Candy's Best

Author: crliston from Syracuse, NY
3 November 1999

It seems to me there are two types of fat white guys. Those that are famous (i.e. weathermen) and those that aren't. Guys like me who sit on the Internet and ponder just how in the hell John Candy did it. For the answer to this question, I look to the movie Cool Runnings, where Candy is nothing short of a comic genius. Pair him up with four skinny Jamaican guys, and you're just asking to pee your pants. And the ending? Let's just say a fat white guy cried, and it wasn't Candy. Jamaican Bobsled? Now that's a movie.

This movie's got comedy,story and is just awesome

Author: akuma-2 from Australia
10 May 1999

When I first saw cool runnings I was disappointed by the sad ending but now six years later the movie still makes me laugh and the ending is somehow better. It's funny it's got story because it is based on a true one and has sentimental bits that aren't boring like other movies.This film is pleasure to watch from beginning to end and over and over again.A must see!

Jamicain Splendor!

Author: palexandersquires from Grimsby
25 January 2005

this film I find, is pure comedy, and who ever heard of a Jamaican bob sled team? well I now have, I also liked the Yul Bremmer character he is a bit like my cat! " do not touch me!" but i still can touch her mind. Anyway this film is warm and sunny,until you get to that freezing cold airport! I also liked that coach Irving Winkler who had to be pestered into coaching that team of Jamacains. Also the music is good I also liked that Swede chap who called one of the Jamaicans, Jamaica! I think he did not want them in the team. I also think that the Jamaicans should of checked the sled before they raced, that loose nut should of been tightened or welded to the frame. It was a shame that they did not come 1st! I am always shouting "GET IN GET IN" At the television each time I see them at the top of the hill about to get into their sled! all in all, it is one cool film, my first Disney made DVD in my collection. The first of many!!!

Great movie

Author: Jonathan Riley (riley3131@hotmail.com) from Kansas City, United States
12 December 2004

This is one of the most touching stories I have seen in a long time. You rally behind the Jamacians and pull for them every bit of the way. Everyone should watch this movie, I know multiple Jamacians that enjoy this movie, and even believe that they have done a very good job at not distorting the truth.

Except for one slightly violent part this is even a great movie for children to watch. They will enjoy the excellent music and be introduce to the Jamacian culture. When the Olympics come on the next time, they will be anxious to watch the bobsled.

Trust me!

Great Film

Author: Peter Van Hout from Turnhout, Belgium
21 June 2004

This is a great film where you can see how friends are pride when they reach the finish line, also when they don't win.

I think everyone will be proud of himself if they give everything of himself and the public appreciate that. That must be in real life a great feeling.

I've seen many movies with a lot of special effects, but for a good movie there must be a good hidden message in the film, like in this one.

For everyone that doesn't saw this movie yet, go and see it!

a cinematic triumph

Author: mules82 from tha bronx, yo
10 May 2002

I had anticipated the release of Cool Runnings for years leading up to its arrival. After all, here was the 100% true story of Doug E. Doug and John Candy going for Olympic gold in the bobsled. I must admit, I didn't know previous to seeing the movie that Candy was an expert on bobsleding, although I can easily see why his severe obesity would allow him to be good at sitting on a sled and traveling down an ice covered path at an incredible speed. Candy should have just had Doug E. Doug hang out with him for a year and put him on the same diet. Plus, you got to figure with all the pot Mr. Doug was smoking he would have the munchies constantly.

Now, Cool Runnings had all the makings of the greatest movie of all time. It had an Oscar winning cast, Jack Nicholson, DeNio, Pacino, Helen Hunt, Vin Diesel etc., it had beautiful settings and costume design, a great musical score with such hits as "here is something you can't believe, Jamaica, we have a bobsled team..." and a great director in someone who I don't know. Actually, I really don't remember much of this movie. I know I saw it though, maybe even two or three times. I also remember that Freshman year in college Siegel refused to study for an Econ exam because Fox was showing Cool Runnings. Why Fox was showing this, I have no idea. Perhaps as a joke?

Anyway, I highly recommend that everyone see 'Cool Runnings' if you haven't already done so. It is one of the last times one can see John Candy. Well, unless of course you want to dig up his grave. But, that's kind of gross, plus I assume he's all decomposed, and he is much funnier as a fat guy. Actually, while you're at it, rent 'Who's harry Crumb.' That movie is awesome. Altieri also really likes it, and he looks like a female American Indian.

very cool

Author: Real Critic
11 January 2002

This is just so likable that it's hard to criticize anything about it. It's a fun family film about the creation of the first Jamaican bobsled team and how they struggle to gain respect at the Winter Olympics. The late John Candy shines in what was definitely one of his best films. Leon, Doug E. Doug, Rawle D. Lewis, and Malik Yoba make a fun, energetic team whose performances make this a pleasant and enjoyable experience. 3/4

Page 3 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]