IMDb > Cool Runnings (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

cool movie

Author: Robert D. Ruplenas
22 February 2000

This entertaining movie, based on the true story of the Jamaican Bob Sled Team's (yes, you heard right - Jamaican Bob Sled Team) participation in the 1985 Winter Olympics is a funny film with a warm heart that moves to an inspiring ending. The story, about a group of Jamaican athletes who were prevented from competing as runners and so sought a different (!) venue in order to participate, has many funny moments. The late John Candy, of whom I am no fan, is very good here; his role as the coach with a checkered past calls for some real dramatic work as well as comedy. The team is a very likeable bunch (with varying acting abilities) and the viewer is rooting for them all the way as they demonstrate great courage in snatching their own kind of victory from the jaws of defeat; the ending is a real lump-in-the-throater.

Good flick, but a caveat for viewing with the kiddos - the language is a tad rough in a couple of spots.

Plea to recognize this film, man!

Author: Drew Vanderburg (houseofmogh@hotmail.com) from Boston
14 June 1999

This is a very underappreciated and little known movie. I give it a ten or a 9.5 though. It is great. It's a true story about the Jamaican bobsled team (how ironic). But unlike all the other sports stories where the team always kicks but in a glorious win, this is different. It also is fun to watch because of the Jamaican dudes speaking like surfers and saying "man" all the time. So, see this movie. Vote for it and try to get it onto the top 250.

Peace Man!

fantastic

Author: ross robinson from england
10 June 2004

I think cool runnings is a fantastic movie, since this movie was made in 1993, i have grown up with this movie because i enjoyed what i saw that was put into the movie and i thought it was fantastic, the way the actors were with the characters, playing them perfect. My heart goes to John Candy as i heard years ago that he passed away and died froma heart attack. He was such a great actor and had so many fans, besides him doing a great performance in cool runnings, my other favourite movies with him in it have got to be Splash, Home Alone, Uncle Buck, i think those movies are fanastic, the great movies of the 1980's and 1990's i feel as though that these are the favourites for those who liked this movies. I give cool runnings 10 out of 10 because i think it is fantastic. God bless you John and thank you for the great performances you made in the movies you starred in.

A funny movie that knows exactly when to be serious

Author: nucksfan4life from USA
17 September 2002

"Cool Runnings" is one of my favorite movies. I watch this movie a lot. It makes me laugh. I think it is one of John Candy's best performances. The story is amazing and unthinkable. Some true story movies can end up being really bad, but "Cool Runnings" is a great success. During the final run down the track, a moment is displayed where the director knows to turn off the funny, and let the movie become serious. That is an awesome moment. I will continue to enjoy this movie for many years to come.

Great feel good movie....

Author: Jon from Memphis Tennesee
18 October 1998

This movie has been one of my favorites for many years. Superb acting by John Candy.

A brilliant film

Author: cougarric from Keighley, England
23 September 1998

A superb atmosphere as it's set in the paradise of Jamaica as the four bob-sledders prepare for the winter Olympics. This is such a funny yet at times sad film as the Jamaican's battle against all the odds to become equals or Olympians. I watch this fairly often and I keep willing them to make it to the finish line but obviously this never happens. Great stuff!

The Importance of Teamwork and Objective to Make Winners

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
8 September 2006

When the Jamaican sprinter Derice Bannock (Leon) is disqualified to the Olympic Games due to a silly accident, he envision the chance to participate in bobsleigh modality. He meets the dishonored couch Irving Blitzer (John Candy), who is living in the tropical country after two gold medals and elimination due to cheating, and convinces him to couch the first Jamaican Bobsled Team. They form a group with the push-cart driver Sanka Coffie (Doug E. Doug), the sprinter Yul Brenner (Malik Yoba) and the rich Junior Bevil (Rawle D. Lewis) and without any sponsor, fly to Calgary, Alberta, Canada to participate of the XV Olympic Winter Games at -25o C. In the end, they become winners without winning the game.

Based on the true surprising participation of Jamaica in the 1988 Olympic Winter Games in the winter sport known as bobsleigh, or bobsled, in which teams make timed runs down narrow, twisting, banked, iced tracks in a gravity-powered sled, this comedy gives a very important message: the importance of teamwork and objective to make winners. Therefore, "Cool Runnings" is a great entertainment for audiences of any age. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Jamaica Abaixo de Zero" ("Jamaica below Zero")

The Ultimate Feel Good Movie!

Author: Duncan1 from United Kingdom
30 December 2005

I haven't cried once since I was 12 years old. Now aged 23 I found myself weeping at the end of this film recently (odd as I've seen it about 15 times over the years). An utterly wonderful little family film and deserving of every superlative there is. It sits in my Top 10 films because it is a film pretending to be nothing other than uplifting and enjoyable fun and, for this reason, it excels! Forget all the arguments about historical inaccuracy, especially if you enjoyed the more "serious" factual films. Those four Jamaican chaps could teach all the snobbish, fun-phobe, cynical film critics a thing or two about entertainment. Sit back and enjoy the hilarity of 4 Jamaican guys hilariously trying to compete as an Olympic bobsled team whilst still maintaining a certain dignity and heart! Let yourself feel warmed by the relationships between the two best friends, the dreamer and his coach and, my favourite, the newfound friendship of the mismatched shy rich-kid and hard poor-man. Buy it on DVD at once!

An Absolutely Terrific Film

Author: director14ty from United States
26 October 2005

There are certain movies over the past decades that achieve a sort of raw emotion inside of us that can't be captured on purpose. This is a movie that is so simple, yet so unbelievably poetic that it is hard to to believe Disney made it. I saw this movie the first time when I was 5 years old, and I never forgot how inspired it made me feel. I remember my dad saying how great of a story he thought it was because of the kind of adversity these guys overcame. The end of the movie is so unbelievably powerful when the sled breaks and they hold their heads up high as they finish the race, carrying the bobsled. This is a movie that never loses its power, even 12 years later.

best movie of all time

Author: andrea__ from United Kingdom
21 August 2005

i'v seen it over 200 times and it is still my favourite movie of all time. a laugh out loud movie. packed with a lot of great one-liners. each character shows a strong persona. although its hilarious it still brings a tear to your eye, even after the 200th time. great movie for watching with the family. this movie contains everything to make a good movie- comedy, romance(not necessarily between people), touching and there's even a punch up for the lads. it is an all rounder in the world of movies, ideal for when you need cheering up, something to put on for the kids to keep them occupied, or if you just wanna see a few hot bodies. If you have not yet seen this movie what are you waiting for, go out and get it now, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

Page 2 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]