IMDb > Cliffhanger (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Cliffhanger

Cliffhanger More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 18: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Of Of The Greatest Openings To A Movie Ever

Author: slightlymad22 from United Kingdom
25 January 2016

Continuing my plan to watch every Sly Stallone movie in order, I come to 1993's Cliffhanger.

Whilst his muscle bound rival, Arnold Schwarzenegger was scoring huge with Terminator 2 in his last movie, Sly's movies were tanking and tanking hard. So after coming to terms with the fact he wasn't going to score a hit movie with comedies, and unable to return to the safety net of Rocky and Rambo (after the last movies under performed) Sly returned to the action genre, more in need of a hit than ever.

Plot In A Paragraph: A botched mid-air heist results in suitcases full of cash being scattered throughout the Rocky Mountains. Mountain worker Gabe Walker (Stallone) is forced to guide the high jackers (Led by John Lithgow) to the suitcases.

Cliffhanger has one of the greatest openings to a movie ever!! I rate it up there with Jaws, Raiders Of The Lost Ark and Saving Private Ryan! It's that good!!

Renny Harlin is a director who is either great or awful. Thankfully it's the former here, and the action scenes are all brilliantly (if slightly unbelievable) staged. Trevor Jones score is a real winner too.

Despite some awful stunt doubles, some dodgy use of miniatures, and obvious studio sets mixed with real footage, Cliffhanger is very enjoyable. With the exception of an over the top John Lithgow, Rex Linn and Caroline Goodall, who all put in fine turns. The villains are as cardboard, two dimensional and cliché as the come. But this is the Stallone show, and backed up by the always reliable Michael Rooker he is back on top form. OK it's still a bit of a one man army story, but it's certainly more believable than the last Rambo.

He may not be the number one Box Office Star in the world anymore, Kevin Costner, who'd been scoring big in The Untouchables, No Way Out, Bull Durham, Field Of Dreams, JFK, Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves, The Bodyguard and the Oscar winning Dances With Wolves (which he directed) whilst Sly movies under performed, had over taken over him as the biggest movie star on the planet. And rival Schwarzenegger was doing better than him too, thanks to Predator, Total Recall and T2, but Cliffhanger proves that back in the action hero role, Sly still had it in him to deliver the goods.

One of the best underrated action thriller movies from Sylvester Stallone of the 90's!

Author: ivo-cobra8 from Slovenia
4 November 2015

Cliffhanger (1993) is one the best Action thriller heist movies in 90's. I love this film to death! Besides the Rocky and Rambo which are Stallone's most popular stuff I would put Cliffhanger right above those! I absolutely LOVE this film!!!! Gabe Walker is awesome I love it. Renny Harlin made an awesome job on this movie. The movie is awesome. It has slow motion running jump! The action sequences in this movie are fantastic! It is actually the first best favorite Action that Stallone did, I love this film and it is my childhood film I love it. One of the most Stallone hit and the most successful Stallone film!

Is one of my first best favorite movies ever. Why I love this movie and I put it above Cobra? Simply because the whole movie is about thrills in the rocky mountains during snow time. Renny Harlin's 'Die Hard 2' was cool, and he gave the world 'Cliffhanger', one of the most awesome action movies ever. That's right, 'Cliffhanger' rules, and we all know it. Stallone uses his mind and not his muscles, a machine gun or a hand guns to defeat terrorists. He uses his mind,he is rescuing people and he try's to save his friend's life, who is held hostage by terrorists. They are thrills, suspense, avalanche and action all over the place in the Rocky Mountains. And I seriously love this Action thriller. The opening scene where the girl is hanging on the line for her dear life, still makes my hands sweaty. And When Gabe Walker couldn't saved her, I really felt pain and I mourn with Stallone's character. Cliffhanger was actually the film I grew up with it. It is a stone cold classic action film a film that I will always cherish!

Mine favorite is Cliffhanger and almost no one puts Cliffhanger into their favorite best action movie so I put it as my Top 1 best Stallone action movie out there. Sly's best out and out action film. It is a superbly enjoyable movie with some interesting characters, solid performances and Renny Harlins direction is stylishly assured. Stallone is rarely this interesting in his action films and he certainly looks the part in terms of the action scenes. This was one of the best action films of the year and one of the most thrilling and enjoyable of the 90's, a definite genre classic. As a Stallone fan this is one I look back on with fond memories. Plenty of superb action and Sly in prime action man form. Action lovers appreciate this film because it has all the hallmarks that make a good action film. The film looks great and there is great support from Janine Turner, Michael Rooker and John Lithgow. On the airplane, the plane heist up in the air from plane-to-plane airborne transfer, a money transfer stunt was filmed in the USA as such a stunt is illegal in Europe. The stunt itself cost over $1 million to film.

I love this film to death beside Rocky and Rambo , it is one of my favorite trills action movies. It is Die Hard in the mountains. I love the music theme from Trevor Jones, he write and made a perfect music score that fits to the film.

The basic plot story is about A botched mid-air heist results in suitcases full of cash being searched for by various groups throughout the Rocky Mountains. It is die hard movie in the mountains.

Cliffhanger is a 1993 American action adventure film directed by Renny Harlin and starring Sylvester Stallone and John Lithgow. Stallone, who co-wrote the screenplay, plays a mountain climber who becomes embroiled in a failed heist set in a U.S. Treasury plane flying through the Rocky Mountains. The film was a critical and box office success, earning more than $250 million worldwide

10/10 Grade: Bad Ass Seal Of Approval Studio: TriStar Pictures Starring: Sylvester Stallone, John Lithgow, Michael Rooker, Janine Turner, Leon, Paul Winfield, Ralph Waite Director: Renny Harlin Producers: Alan Marshall, Renny Harlin Executive Producer: Mario Kassar Screenplay: Michael France, Sylvester Stallone Story: John Lon, Michael France Rated: R Running Time: 1 Hr. 52 Mins. Released: May 28, 1993 Budget: $65.000.000 Box Office: $255,325,036

Stunning Photography And Action

Author: Archangel Michael from United States
23 July 2015

Spoilers Ahead;

The movie was attacked for its acting and violence. Come on, it is an action movie. If you want great acting watch Citizen Kane. This has some of the best photography and climbing scenes in any movie. It has the requisite for all great action movies: A Great Villain. Lithgow is a skilled actor and he really holds the story up here. I love that line,"you know what real love is? Sacrifice." Then he blows his squeeze away, Mr. Ruthless. He is so dark in this movie that it keeps your interest. The henchmen are constantly fighting amongst themselves just like real life. Look, I like The Sting but criminals are none too fond of each other they really do not wink and touch their noses like in that silly movie. These guys act like real criminals; they hate each other, are constantly arguing and worried about their pay. The romance between Stallone and TV girl is thankfully short though there are a few painful scenes with her lecturing him on his life, how to handle the grief and his buddy's vendetta about his girlfriend buying it at the beginning. The star of the movie is the climbing scenes. They have to be seen to be believed.

There were lots of attacks on the movie. Yes, it is a Renny Harlin movie which means turn off your brain there will be big gaps in logic in some of the action scenes. Especially the final showdown between Gabe and Lithgow will have some, I don't think so moments. For all of its flaws, once it gets going it doesn't stop. Compared to some of Sly's other dreadful movies, like Cobra, Over The Top, or the one with his mom: this is a masterpiece. The shots on the mountains will evoke gasps out of your living room when you watch it. Lithgow is a great villain and he is surrounded by a good group of henchmen not in the best of moods. There is a little humor but not much. Sly's partner has some fun with Soccer Boy before he throws him off the cliff. The movie is a bit slow at the beginning where Sly has to deal with the guilt from the opening shot of his buddy's girlfriend taking the big fall. It is a very short period; then it really gets moving. Enjoy it for what it is: An Excellent Action Movie.

Action and adventure in the Mountains

Author: tombstoneangel from Venezuela
13 May 2014

This is undoubtedly the best movie of Renny Harlin , one of the best masterpieces of action films of the nineties, is one of my favorite movies, this is a perfect example of a great adventure film , excellent performances from the entire cast , great cinematography by Alex Thomson, beautiful music by Trevor Jones, special edition of Frank J. Urioste , and wonderful script.

The beginning of the film offers us an unforgettable tragic drama, then we displayed a thrilling aerial assault , and what follows is the struggle for survival , the struggle of good against evil, cruel villains, heroes realistic , shocking scenes of fights and scenes of well-performed deaths; the whole movie is original and very creative , this film production is a gift for lovers of action cinema , the film offers very good sound and special effects.

The actors bring their emotions interesting characters, for example, Sylvester Stallone, John Lithgow, Michael Rooker, Janine Turner, Rex Linn, Caroline Goodall ... this film conveys energy , the entire set is admirable, the result is high entertainment power.

A peak for Stallone in a hit-or-miss decade

Author: Mr-Fusion from United States
18 February 2013

On paper, "Cliffhanger" probably shouldn't be nearly as entertaining as it is. It plays like the run-of-the-mill "Die Hard" knockoffs that littered '90s cinema, with a curious assortment of unintentionally hilarious bad guys and some pretty cheesy one-liners. But I've had a soft spot for this movie for 20 years now, and age isn't curbing that anytime soon. For an action movie, it's tightly wound and moves pretty damn well. The stuntwork is right up there and the gorgeous mountain scenery doesn't hurt either. And they spared no expense on bloody carnage; I was surprised by the level of violence for the time. Oh, and Lithgow? That guy does scenery-chewing wonders with (what could've been) a stock villain. He is undoubtedly a highlight of this movie.

Sometimes you're just in the mood for some cheap thrills, and to that end, this is comfort food.

stallone's best-watch k2,vertical limit too..

Author: venkatb83 from Bangalore
5 January 2013

stallone's best action movie i think.. good story-best supporting cast,stunts,and of course that huge money...!

greedy people,high peak...!! dangerous situations,a fast tragedy...!!

stallone exells in acting... i liked it a lot.. and highly recommend for u all........

spend some hours to catch a glimpse of high peak-greed-and man in action- stallone......!!

some scenes are really breathtaking...............

i give 10/10 it n of course it deserves it...

happy watchingaaaaaaaa...

Stallone As A Rescue Climber

Author: Desertman84 from United States
7 October 2012

Cliffhanger is an action-adventure thriller that features Sylvester Stallone and John Lithgow together with Michael Rooker,Janine Turner,Leon Robinson,Paul Winfield and Ralph Waite.Stallone plays Gabe Walker, a member of a mountain-climbing rescue team who is haunted by an incident from his past when he couldn't save the girlfriend of his best friend, Hal Tucker,from falling to her death.It was directed by Renny Harlin.

Gabe has left mountain-climbing rescue work and has set up business in Denver. He returns to the mountain rescue office to persuade his lover, Jessie to quit and come back to Denver with him. While he is begging Jessie to head out to Denver, things are happening in the skies overhead. A gang of professional crooks headed by psychotic Eric Qualen has hijacked a U.S. Treasury plane carrying millions of dollars. But the plane crashes, and the bad guys find themselves stranded on top of a mountain with the money that was placed into three cases scattered around the wreckage and with no way to get down off the pinnacle to retrieve the cases. They put in a phony distress call that is received by the mountain rescue team. Gabe agrees to take part in one last rescue attempt, and they head up to help rescue the thieves. But Qualen has plans for the rescuers to force them to climb through the dangerous snow-covered peaks to find the three suitcases of cash.

Cliffhanger is a device to entertain us, and it works, especially during those moments when Stallone is hanging by his fingernails over a three- mile fall, and the bad guys are stomping on him.Also,it is a big-scale action adventure with plenty of blood and blasts. It resembles some Shakespeare plays only in that by the end of the story almost all the characters are laying in pools of blood.Finally,it may go down in screen history as the nail in the coffin of the Die Hard sub-genre, in which all the key elements of that blockbuster have been recycled to the point of self-parody.

Camp doesn't get any better than this

Author: CinefanR
29 June 2012

Anything that Stallone did in the 80's and 90's was "so bad it's good", but this one is simply spectacular on epic scale! Stallone doesn't have a clue about acting (and he couldn't have), but he's trying so hard, God bless him... The icing on the cake here is John Lithgow, none other than the master of the "over-the-top acting", whose fake British accent only adds up to the camp. Magnificent alpine landscapes make a perfect setting, and the pace is alert indeed, with some of the most spectacular stunts and action sequences ever filmed.

Bad characters are really evil (and extremely funny, I might add), the good guys are really good and brave and have super-human strength (Stallone is climbing mountain walls bare-handed in the blizzard, wearing just a T-shirt), the one-liners are on the same epic scale as the breath-taking scenery, and of course "Cliffhanger" has dialogue so dumb it's unintentionally hilarious. The plot is laughable, just as much as everything else in this movie, but never mind… This is what we call "mindless entertainment" of the best kind. I thoroughly enjoyed this masterpiece, it's great comedy. I dare you not to laugh out loud at the preposterousness of it all.

High on Action But Low on Character Development

Author: eric262003 from Canada
1 November 2011

From what I remember, "Cliffhanger" is a very exciting heart-thumping action movie that situates Gabe Walker (Sylvester Stallone), who is a has "seen it all" rescue worker stepping up into a wild confrontation against a group of money hungry terrorists under the leadership of Eric Qualen (John Lithgow) who's on the hunt to find some missing loot that has been hidden in the mountains.

When it became released on DVD, the memories of that movie all came back to me like a bolt of lightning. Granted, "Cliffhanger" was best described as a movie that exceeds on many levels than your typical action flick, filled with thrills and excitement that lives up to its running time. The main drawback from this movie from becoming an exceptional film was the poor editing which is the result of poor character development. At times though the scenes seem to finish too abruptly without fully completing them. If they would've extended the scenes a bit more, I would've given it a higher number.

John Lithgow was the best performer of the bunch who played his bad guy role with natural flair as he did in "Raising Cain" almost as though no one could play this antagonistic role better than him. Sure Stallone was truly kick-ass as the leading hero, Gabe Walker, however, his performance pales in comparison to Lithgow's authoritative role.

What gets my adrenaline pumping in this movie is the scintillating title sequence. The sequence makes the film look and feel more realistic than I had anticipated when I saw this movie back when I was a late adolescent. The locations of the mountain sites is absolutely breath-taking.

Sure the movie was no Oscar winner, but it had enough energy and plenty of twists to keep the action lover in full satisfaction. Even though there are a plethora of flaws depicted here, the movie isn't customized to make you think. Stallone's best work is still in the hands of the "Rambo" series, which is where you could sympathize with a man who's been through a lot of suffering both physically and emotionally and can't seem to get any kind of redemption from it. I guess "Assassins" would be his only real notable movie where he's not playing either John Rambo or Rocky Balboa and was effective in his feud with Antonio Banderas. But in "Cliffhanger" Stallone is in his comfort zone playing another individual put in another awkward situation with obstacles that are overwhelmingly impossible to overcome.

One of the best action adventure flicks EVER.

Author: 851222 from Lithuania
8 August 2011

Greetings from Lithuania.

Almost 20 years past after "Cliffhanger" hit the screen, but it's still one of the best in it's genre. A story is quiet original in terms of similar action movies (aka Die Hard, Speed). But what makes this movie unforgettable it's the setting. Mountains in "Cliffhanger" is a one big character of this movie - breathtaking beauty and deadly at the same time. As far as i remember these mountains in "Cliffhanger" are still the most spectacularly filmed mountains in a movie history.

And then we have the action, S.Stalone at his best, Renny Harlin in his top form, John Lithgow in his most villain performance (yea i saw "Dexter"), and one of the best - breathtaking and shocking opening sequences in a movie history.

Put it all together and you'll have "Cliffhanger" - one of the best action adventure flicks EVER.