IMDb > Cliffhanger (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Cliffhanger

Cliffhanger More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 18: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

An action-flick to pass time

Author: Sean Paul Da Silva from Philippines
19 October 2006

I'm not a fan of Sylvester Stallone's movies, but "Cliffhanger" is definitely one of his better works. Yes, his acting never has been impressive and he has no chemistry with the other actors whatsoever, especially the leading lady. The villain's plot is, if you really look at it, just too ambitious.

Speaking of the villains, the group is plainly filled with cliché characters. There's the black dude, the corrupt cop, the mastermind and his woman, and for some reason, a Brit. Doesn't exactly scream harmony, does it? And personally, John Glithgow as villain is laughable, especially if you've seen Orange County lately.

Nonetheless, "Cliffhanger" is quite enjoyable, particularly the scenery and the climbing sequences. You'll get acrophobia from the get-go. Anyway, if you don't mind Stallone's acting and cheesy lines, watch "Cliffhanger" if you have nothing better to do.

Hold on tight !

Author: lionel.willoquet (lionel.willoquet@wanadoo.fr) from Nevers, France
15 April 2001

Two mountain climbers fall into the hands of a gang of dangerous criminals whose aeroplane has crashed on the mountainside. Between climbs, falls, bad weather and a band of tough villains, Sylvester Stallone has no time to dawdle in this spectacular and brutal thriller. An action film through and through.

Hang on and experience the ride of your life

Author: Jack Raab
6 April 2001

Hold on for dear life as Sylvester Stallone takes you on the ride of a lifetime. With extreme non-stop action, gripping and suspense-filled scenes; Stallone has proven why he is a SUPERSTAR with his role in "Cliffhanger." I knew I would be in for an action packed treat as soon as I realized Stallone was starring in this film; however, I failed to realized how great the other actors were in this film.

Stallone is joined by Michael Rooker, Janine Turner and John Lithgow as they produce quite possibly the best action film of 1993. The cast is perfectly selected and chosen to play their parts. It was a joy to see a reversal of roles. I'm not accustomed to seeing Rooker as a hero or Lithgow as a villain; it is a refreshing change.

I couldn't have asked for a better villain than Lithgow. He is one of the most ruthless and cunning villains I've seen on screen. I enjoyed how he never let anything get in his way and spared no expense to get what he wanted. I'm glad I got the chance to see him play the villain and hope I see it again.

Turner gives tremendous support to this film and creates an atmosphere where it is enjoyable to watch. She is the heat that warms a cold room because everytime she comes on screen it seems as though it is hot. It is a delight to see an incredible actress to have that much power. Rooker makes up the other the third of talented actors that makes "Cliffhanger" a delight to watch. Rooker brings a fresh view to the film as well as credibility; all I have to say is awesome work, Michael.

There is an avalanche of talent in "Cliffhanger." Stallone is an unstoppable force and incredible action hero. After watching "Cliffanger," I'm convinced that Stallone was the only man for this job. Stallone had the fire in his eyes for this part that told me he means business. Only true action stars have the fire I saw; furthermore, I was fascinated with the strength, power and conviction with which he took on the role.

Another reason I enjoyed "Cliffhanger" was the writing because it contained unbelievable action sequences, a man dealing with redemption and dialogue is awesome. I was impressed to see that Stallone also co-wrote the script because he really has a knack for what action fans want.

"Cliffhanger" is super-charged, heart-racing, suspense-filled action thrill ride that you should take because at the end it will leave you asking for more.

In all sense of the title!

Author: Joe-290
13 December 2000

Sylvester Stallone returns to the die hard style action movies with one so full of suspense and tension its a cliffhanger!. Keeping you on the edge of your seat this is a better Stallone film. In his first action film since Rocky V it was great to see the action man doing what he does best instead of comedies that just didnt suit him.

Here he is a down on his luck mountain rescuer who is called in to save victims of a plane crash in the mountains but he only thing is these arent any old plane travellers buy thieves who have tried to steal large cases of cash from a federal plane in the skies. The only thing is that om taking the money from one plane to the next they lost all 3 cases and then caught up in a storm crash and have to find the money as well finding a way off the mountain.

John Lithgow is the main villain and if he doesnt get to play a James Bond bad guy, heres his best chance. Like many action movies the villain is extremely menacing. A style created by James Bond films and their villains. He plays a very interesting character and acts the part well.

This film is better than Stallones other film of the year 'Demolition Man' as the action is so good and so much better. A film that will keep anyone with a fast moving mind or life excited. Fantastic tough guy film and a film which has been considered bad and stupid but which is a tough guy film which counts as brilliant and if this is bad and stupid, I just wonder what the same people think about Star Wars as this is so many times better.

Not that bad... not that good, either

Author: mentalcritic from Southern Hemisphere
24 September 2000

Let's face it, this is as good as Renny Harlin is ever going to get, which is pretty sad considering that this film rarely gets above two and a half out of five. Considering all the drivel that spews out of Leon's mouth (do all Afro-Americans speak such s***, or is that just how Hollywood wants me to think?), I was waiting patiently for Delmar to gut him like a fish. I was massively disappointed, even though I cheered when he was killed in a highly impossible manner by Gabe.

I think the best thing that can be said for the film is that it is beautifully photographed, and wins the case against panning and scanning on its own quite convincingly. Do NOT, under any circumstances, watch this film on TV broadcast, as you will be missing out on as much as fifty percent of the picture. Get the DVD instead, as this film simply demands to be shown a) in its proper aspect ratio and b) with glorious 16:9 enhancement. Anyone who tells you otherwise should be banned from commenting about films for life.

THIS one put Sly back on the map for ADVENTURE & ACTION!

Author: Dianna Trent from NJ
1 September 2000

THIS was an exciting film! The 1st time I saw it, I did not know HOW it was gonna turn out! Sly's a "ROCKY" Mt. Ranger w/his girlfriend (1-time REAL ex-girlfriend, Janine Turner) & buddy named Hal. After Hal's girlfriend dies from a fall off a mt. that Sly thinks is his fault, he takes a leave of absence from everyone & everything to mourn. When he returns, he returns for his girl but she spurns him. After menacingly evil John Lithgow & Co. kidnap Hal & then Sly's girl, he decides to take up the challenge to see if he can save them. And how does he proceed to do it? Clad in pants, hiking boots, some equipment & a tee-shirt! THAT'S IT!! They took his coat away from him & he gets nothing else to wear throughout the film except an old grimy ripped up sweater he finds in a 'safe house' out on the side of a mt! Oh yea - & a vest at the end of the film when he's fighting Lithgow on a helicopter! THOSE scenes are spectacular!

I liked the computer tracking devices used to find the money that flew out of the hijacked airplanes in the beginning of the film. Very 'up-to-date'. Lots of snow & great scenery in this one. Leon is a fine treat, as always, although he plays one of the bad guys. Ralph Waite (the Walton's father) is the helicopter pilot & lends a sense of maturity & stableness to the film. Janine Turner is sure not the actress one would choose for the look of her & Sly as a couple, but she has a spunk that works well w/roles like this. Not the 'Oh, No! I broke a nail!' type girl.

Anyway, see this one when it comes on TV! It IS exciting & will make you remember what Sly's career is really all about - ACTION!

Sly climbs the highest of the Rockies (get it?)

Author: Vice-5 from Allentown, PA
21 December 1999

One of Sly's best action flicks when "Rambo" isn't concerned, "Cliffhanger" is guaranteed to push you over the edge! Sly plays Walker, a rescue worker swimming in his guilt, tries to stop a greedy maniac named Qualen (played with grease by John Lithglow) and his cohorts from finding several caches full of greenbacks hidden in the Rocky Mts. Sly gets his kicks, with having human weaknesses in this film, finally (he gets frostbite), and hangs on to dear life.

High strung fun!

Author: Brownie-2 from Orlando, FL
7 May 1999

I instantly became a big fan of director Renny Harlin after Die Hard 2 and this movie is another great mark in his career.

I really liked this movie, together with Rambo and Rocky it makes it one of my fave Stallone movies. Stallone is cool as a mountain climber,that is forced to battle a bunch of baddies in search for some lost loot on a mountain. The film has a spectacular opening and some very cool action scenes.And John Lithgow really seems to have fun chewing up his scenes as the badass leader.If you haven't seen it rent it and be surprised.

Great movie!!!!!

Author: geoff gould (geoffgould@webtv.net) from Texas, USA
17 April 1999

Sly this is your best movie no question about it!!! The scenes from one of our wonderful states Colorado were awesome! John Lithgow played a really great bad guy but there was no way he could have beat the crap out of Sly cause at first I couldn't picture Lithgow as a bad guy but after this I was wrong. Basically all the bad guys were terrific. Caroline Goodall and Rex Linn did the best along with Lithgow and even the english dude was good. I give this 5 ***** stars all the way!!!!!

Sheer Entertainment

Author: Scott Carr (6sgc2@qlink.queensu.ca) from Kingston, Ontario
8 March 1999

"Cliffhanger" is a thrill ride, with fantastic stunts and non-stop excitement. The opening sequence sets the pace for the mile-a-minute action. Alex Thomson's photography is unbelievable and makes you feel like you are really hanging from a cliff. The story is sufficient and the content makes you forget about any lack of orginality or bad dialogue.

Renny Harlin brings life to a lot of very entertaining action sequences including an air-to-air transfer that is nothing short of astonishing. It is good to see Stallone back at what he does best. Lithgow is an impressive villain, very diabolical and heartless. Turner was a disappointment but the entire love story took an appropriate back seat to the action.

"Cliffhanger" is just supposed to be summer fun and it definitely delivers. It keeps its fast-pace and builds to a very exciting climax. It is a formula action film at its best. If you just want to be entertained for 2 hours and not have to worry about thinking about the complicated story, "Cliffhanger" is the way to go.