IMDb > Cliffhanger (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Cliffhanger

Cliffhanger More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Die Hard on a mountain but still quite enjoyable

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
30 June 2002

When Hal Tucker's girlfriend dies in a botched mountain rescue, Gabe blames himself and leaves. Years later he returns for his own girlfriend. Meanwhile a cash transfer by plane gets hijacked and the cases are lost in the mountains. The hijackers use Tucker and Gabe to recover the mountain however Gabe escapes and must get the cases before the criminals to in order to bargain for Hal's life.

Stallone's sort of semi-come back film, Cliffhanger is yet another `Die Hard in a……' type film. However that doesn't mean it's bad – on the contrary it's quite good. The opening 10 minutes sets out the stall well – heights, good visuals and real fear. However this doesn't hold and soon we are back in standard thriller mode with Stallone picking off the gang one by one in a Die Hard fashion. This is all still fun if formulaic and the director uses the vertigo inducing locations well.

All the Die Hard trademarks are there – the one liners, the multinational villains, big shoot outs etc. Most of it is really good and while it never gets to the heights of Die Hard in terms of action or tension, it is solid entertainment none the less.

The cast is a strange mix. Stallone is OK as the hero – he can do this tough, wisecracking stuff in his sleep (and seems to occasionally). Lithgow is actually quite good, isn't the way that the bad guys have the best parts! `You want to kill me don't you?' he asks at one point `well, take a number and get in line'. Corny tough guy lines but hammy enough to be good. The rest are weird – Turner (from Northern Exposure) is ok but then we have Craig Fairbrass from Eastenders!

Overall it's not as good as Die Hard and it's open setting prevents real tension or claustrophobia but it's still very enjoyable. Solid enjoyment without too much flash – although it is a downside that the best bit is over in the first 10 minutes.

Stallone's last decent actioner

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
28 February 2003

CLIFFHANGER (1993) *** Sylvester Stallone, Janine Turner, John Lithgow, Michael Rooker, Ralph Waite, Leon, Max Perlich. Great action sequences are this film's assets thanks to director Renny Harlin and at its center is Stallone as a mountain climbing guide whose personal demons are best tested when he must rescue a friend form a group of international terrorists in the Colorado Rockies led by sadistic Lithgow (in a wonderfully over-the-top performance). Filmed on location in the Italian Alps and with Stallone doing most of the hair-raising stunts makes for an authentic agorophobic's nightmare. Hang ON!

Good movie... solid watch for 2nd or 3rd time!

Author: jhu_rulz from Baltimore, Maryland
2 November 2005

I enjoyed it a lot... in fact, I saw it a bunch of times. And, guess what? I enjoyed it EVERY, SINGLE time.

Great job to all the people that made this movie possible.

Not a bad movie to watch @ 1am on a late Wednesday night (or early Thursday morning, depending on how you wanna look at it).

As for the cast, all of them put in a solid effort. I'm a big fan of Sylvester Stallone (especially from "Over the Top" and "Rocky" and "Rambo"). So, I guess this opinion is a little biased, but they all put in an excellent effort.

I enjoyed it and so will you!

How can you even take it seriously?

Author: Anders Åslund (anders.aslund@xpress.se) from Karlstad, Sweden
21 January 2000

(Spoiler included, some would say)

This film is not possible to take seriously. At some parts it is so awfully stupid that I just can't help laughing at it all. Try me for the sequence where Stallone's character jumps some 20 meters with full climbing gear or (and this is really my favorite) snuffs a bad guy by sticking him onto a stalactite. Yeah, what ungodly strength did he muster to accomplish such feats? I dunno, but he sure gives reality a run for the money.

great action film

Author: mattkratz (themattk@hotmail.com) from Richardson, TX
16 March 2002

The action and suspense hardly let up for a moment in this Sylvester Stallone film. After a botched attempt to steal money ends up with the suitcases containing the dough scattered across the Rocky Mountains, a bunch of criminals (led by John Lithgow in a terrific performance) fake a distress call and make Stallone and one of his friends track the money down. Stallone, still recovering from a failed rescue attempt at the start of the film, has no choice. I thought this movie was good.

** 1/2 out of ****

Stallone's last really good movie.

Author: Aaron1375
14 March 2003

Well Demolition Man had its moments, but for me, this was Stallone's last good movie. Part of the reason is the great scenery here as the mountain shots are breathtaking and they were really good in the theater. This one is a lot better than the recent mountain movie Vertical Limit in that it has a much better plot. In this one some guys who steal money from a plane and end up crashing on the mountains. Lithgow is the villain here and he is great. They get the mountain rescue team to come help them. Stallone who has been out of the loop because of an accident also goes to lend a hand. The thieves basically hold Stallone and his friend captive and get them to locate their money, which is in three suitcases on the mountain. Stallone gets away and proceeds to get in the thieves' way any chance he can get. I can't believe someone thought the action scenes were dull, but to each his own. I think this movie is great to watch and it has one heck of a conclusion.

Poor film

Author: mandtplatt from Cornwall
2 May 2015

A very disappointing film. Stallone's acting skills have never been the finest but he was clearly wasted on this pointless attempt at showing how rock climbing can be dangerous. Probably one of the worst films I have ever seen. Unusually Ralph Waite, who is 65 plays the part of the helicopter pilot. He was the father figure in the Waltons. I have no doubt about Ralph's acting skills but why on earth choose someone like him to be a helicopter pilot. The cheapness of how each and every one of the actors was killed or shot at beggars belief. I was very surprised this film ever reached the cinemas. 1993 was clearly not the best year for Stallone movies.

Some mountain climbing thrills

Author: SnoopyStyle
13 April 2014

Gabe Walker (Sylvester Stallone) is an expert mountain climber. While rescuing injured friend Hal Tucker (Michael Rooker), equipment failure causes the death of Hal's girlfriend. Gabe is haunted by the death and blames himself. Eight months later, a government plane transporting bulk money is hijacked. However the 3 suitcases of $100M are lost in the aerial transfer. The criminal gang led by Eric Qualen (John Lithgow) crash lands. Gabe and Hal are tricked into rescuing the gang, and are kidnapped to track down the suitcases.

The money transfer looks silly when the whole hijacking is suppose to be thrilling. However the climbing chase in the mountains has its thrills and its spills. In the end, it's a fun little ride and probably better than one might expect from this standard B-movie.

Stallone's best movie in the 90's

Author: Maziun from Poland
6 September 2013

"Cliffhanger" is quite underrated action movie . It's a mix between "The Eiger Sanction" and "Die hard" . I think that from all "Die hard" clones this is the best one. It's refreshing to see an action movie set in mountains . It allowed the filmmakers for some nice ideas and a breathtaking views.

This is Stallone's finest performance along with the "Rocky" and "Rambo" series. He fits his character – Gabe , a mountain rescuer with troubled past – perfectly . He's character isn't a ex-marine , ex-soldier or cop , but a normal human . That's what makes it interesting to watch how will he be able to defeat the bad guys. He's got solid support from Michael Rooker (Hal) and Janine Turner (Jesse). John Lithgow is great as the cold blooded leader of bandits – Quialan. This movie and "Ricochet" proves that comedy actors can give a great serious performance , only if somebody needs to give them a chance.

The best scene of the movie happens at the beginning . It always makes hair on my back stand up. It's a really thrilling scene that takes audience by surprise , because we were expecting a different end to it. I also have to mention the final showdown between Stallone , Lithgow and the helicopter.

"Cliffhanger" is directed with professionalism by Renny Harlin ("Die hard 2") . The screenplay offers some nice laughs and twists. The whole movie is photographed well and looks good , even if sometimes it's obvious that some scenes were filmed in studio. Also you have to suspend your belief few times ( the unrealistic destruction of airplane , Stallone not freezing to death despite wearing almost nothing) , but after all this is an action movie.

"Cliffhanger" should be rated higher. I give it 8/10.

action

Author: kai ringler from United States
31 July 2013

A veteran mountain climber / search and rescue man loses a woman in a rescue attempt in the mountains, and I guilt ridden when she falls to her death. flash forward a few years. he disappears into isolation, but when a group of bad guys loses 3 briefcases full of hundreds of millions of dollars he comes out of seclusion to help out his friends. he reluctantly teams up with the man who was gonna marry the girl he lost years ago, John Lithgow heads up the bads guys, with Michael Rooker, the bad guys have lost briefcases which need recovering before the FBI gets' involved,, add in a crooked DEA agent and you have a movie with a tons of action,, great footgage of avalanches, lot's of gunplay , twists, and drama,, one of the better action films to come out of the 90's if you ask me,, definitely a perfect movie for Sylvester Stallone to shine in. but Litgow steals the show for me.