IMDb > The Mad Monk (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Mad Monk More at IMDbPro »Chai gong (original title)

An earnestly filmed film by Stephen Chow

Author: freemanchiu from Hong Kong
25 October 2005

The story: Chow, as a Chinese fairy, believes that things are not set by god, so he was sent to the "earth" to prove that he is correct. His mission is to change the "fixed" lives of 3 people: a woman who is dedicated to be a pros for 9 lives, a man who is dedicated to be a beggar for 9 lives and a man who is dedicated to be a gangster for 9 lives. However he loses his magical powers on "earth" but only has a bamboo fan which can fulfill 3 wishes a day.

The camera angles are comparatively special among Hong Kong films on the releasing year. Chow's character is good-heated and has a encouraging spirit. It is earnestly filmed, and there is no dirty jokes or whatsoever stupid.

Visually complete!

Author: Barry Drake from United States
25 January 2007

I watch a lot of Hong Kong movies. When I bought this one, I didn't realize that the version I bought did not have English subtitles. I watched it in Mandarin, with no subtitles, and I still found it quite entertaining! Stephen Chow is a comedic genius who transcends language.

The basic theme, of a fairy from heaven who comes to earth, can be found in his other movies as well. In the fairy's life as a human, we understand more about ourselves. Stephen Chow has good insight into human character, motivation, and what is essential to a good life.

His earnest desire to make other peoples' lives better is reflected in the fates of his three "subjects".

Hes from Heaven, now hes MAD!

Author: secrective from detroit
17 October 2002

Stephen Chow plays an angel-type being in this movie, in where he bets the other people in Heaven that he can change the ways of 3 misguided souls and make them better people.

Ressurected as a monk, he must stop a prostitute, a beggar, and an all around bad guy from being what they are (and have been for generations). To add to all of this, he must do this in 3 Heaven days!!!

Charming to the last!

Author: Michael Heagle (carschool@aol.com) from Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
30 May 1999

Typical fare for the most part, saved by some very funny situations and some terrific effects! The beauty contest ending is worth the wait... Is it the best one joke film ever made?