IMDb > Calendar Girl (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Calendar Girl More at IMDbPro »

Calendar Girl

Author: Tim Cox from Marietta, OH
27 June 1999

Priestley tries to bring that handsome charm from the small screen to the big screen in this dull fantasy about three high school grads who fulfill their dream date with Marilyn Monroe in 1962 Hollywood. Priestley is a capable young actor, but he needs better scripts than this.

Pleasant Teen Movie About Growing Up

Author: Scoval71 from New York, NY
19 March 2005

A pleasant and amusing story about three senior high school students (although all look way older than that) who are infatuated with Marilyn Monroe. (so am I am and who isn't or wasn't?) It is a nice movie about the importance of the value of good friends. There are various sub plots here. Jason Priestley's character learns to reconnect with his estranged father and all three young men learn and grow by the end of the movie. It is funny and amusing and really rather sweet. I enjoyed it and I recommend it. Jason Priestly does a good job, but he is so much shorter, he is 5'6 or 5'7, than the other two boys who are 6 ft, and he is always looking so short--they even hold him up to see an event in the movie. Anyway, it is an enjoyable movie and one especially suited to teenagers, and, of course, all us Marilyn Monroe fans. There are various clips from Marilyn's movies. Lest we forget.

Just like any teens movie of the 50's

Author: Alberto Onetto from Santiago, Chile
25 July 1999

This movie, although of its year of made, is quite close of any teenager-light-stupid-vacation movie made in the 50's. That was the idea? I guess so. Three youngsters deeply in love with Marilyn Monroe travel to Hollywood to meet her. That's all. Jason Priestley is the leader of them (he is the protagonist, by the way), playing the role of the typical unbearable & arrogant American High school popular kid, who thinks that can deal with any chick round there. Jerry O'Connel plays again as the poor little fool dominated by his friends (do you remember "Stand by me"?) & the other guy, Gabriel Olds (sorry but, who is he? Never heard of him) is the peacemaker of the group. It's a very light comedy, & that's all. Nothing too hard to understand.

Looking for Marilyn

Author: Petri Pelkonen (petri_pelkonen@hotmail.com) from Finland
10 November 1999

Calendar Girl takes time in 1962.There are these three young men Roy(Jason Priestley), Ned(Gabriel Olds) and Scott (Jerry O'Connell).They become big fans of Marilyn Monroe after quitting their interest for Howdy Doody.Roy decides that they all should go to Hollywood to meet miss Marilyn Monroe. And soon they're off their way to Hollywood, California.But they find out that it's not that easy to meet such a big star.And they have lots of other problems.But they just keep trying without giving up.They follow Marilyn where ever she goes.Finally they get a little closer to Marilyn.One of them even gets to have a date with miss Monroe.Then these three buddies have to go home.From there Roy is off his way to army. So these three friends are going their own ways.Soon they tell on the news that miss Marilyn Monroe is dead. Calendar Girl is a very entertaining movie.

Fact Is Prettier Than Fiction !

Author: ahmed elshikh (ahmed_abd_elreheem@yahoo.com) from Egypt
4 March 2008

I must wonder to tell you the truth because when it comes to a night out with the great (Marilyn Monroe), and a chance to kiss her too ..HHHHOOO this is wild man..Very wild.. So when they made it as something which's less enjoyable than the ordinary life.. I've got to veto and in a hard way too !

But come to think of it, as the movie's point of view is so interesting : the friendship with humans lives longer than the other with the stars, as reality is more honest and amusing than movies.. Hmmm... Try to imagine that !.

The boy here discovered that the cinematic dream, even if it was as incredibly fantastic as (Marilyn) herself, is just a dream. So all the rest of our silly, foolish, and risky actual life is more fantastic because we actually lived it. Even if it contained some nightmares already ! Hence the jam in the phone booth with a girl you want becomes eventually more important than a lively fantasy you may live –like the movie fulfills indeed - with your own calendar girl.

This movie made too many regards which are truly full of love and longing to a lot of things : the adolescence's folly, the friendship's coolest memories, the pure fondness of a movie star, the fiery sexy yet innocent days of the late 1950s and the early 1960s, the good old Hollywood, and lastly the utmost sex icon ..The shiniest star yet.. (Marilyn Monroe). She was portrayed here as sad lonely woman, missing what these young men already have : the friendship, who dies with the beauty of that era and the end of those guys' minority too; as if this time was the adolescence's climax of America itself before Vietnam, the series of assassinations, the hippie revelation.. etc.

I loved the whole deal : the nice comedy, the good characterization, the performance from all the young bunch, the bright cinematography, and the atmosphere which was in low budget but so solid, look at the details to know how it's a sincere adorer movie for what it speaks about (the clever wicked opening credits, the bits of Marilyn's movies or photos, the soundtrack's songs.. etc). It got a "real" sentimental script and directing.

Although the face of (Stéphanie Anderson) as (Marilyn) didn't appear on screen like a high too glaring to watch phantasm, but truly she delivered by her voice and body a fine performance. Still the part of the kiss is such a magical cinematic moment and one of the most immortal kisses I've ever seen as well, not only because its achievement of what any fan of (Marilyn) dreamed of (getting a special kiss from her) but also because it was one unforgettable hot kiss in so colorfully sensual close up. In brief it was as madly sexy as any of Marilyn's kisses yet more emotional and a bit lamentably moving.

It's one comic so passionate movie which has no shame in presenting this obligatory phase of life when you've got to know your dream so consequently your fact !, and what a lessen the movie gives softly through its gentle manifesto : viva the 1950s, (Marilyn), the boyhood, the fictional world, and the most of all : viva the genius experiment of factual LIFE.

Standard coming-of-age story with some interesting side characters

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
16 March 2002

Three friends grow up worshipping Marilyn Monroe. When they are in their late teens they decide to drive out to Hollywood to meet her. Roy, Ned and Scott head off a week before Roy is due to join the army. They stay with Roy's uncle Harvey and begin their quest, however Roy has borrowed mobster money and his fathers car for the trip and before long the Gallo brothers come looking for their cash.

As I sat to watch this, it did cross my mind that I didn't really need to watch another coming of age movie set in the 50's and 60's. However I thought the premise was interesting enough to justify the time. However the film fails to use the idea of the quest to meet Monroe to raise anything more than a few laughs. We also have to deal with the usual subplots of teenage angst, girls, sex, anger at father etc, these take even more of the comedy away leaving a so-so comedy with bits of drama forced in.

The characters are standard – Priestly plays the cocky one, Olds plays the thoughtful one and O'Connell plays the shy, cowardly one. The only interest is provided by the support cast - Pantoliano is good as Roy's uncle with a typically Hollywood obsession with looks and Tobolowsky and Fuller provide the only quirky characters as the Gallo's. The idea of Monroe as the holy grail would have worked better if the film didn't try to have her as a shadow but also use her – her memory is badly used here.

Overall this has some funny scenes but not enough to justify the film. The coming of age drama doesn't really work and I think we've all got the `seize the day' message by now. Average.

Highly entertaining

Author: bobdodge from United States
29 April 2002

Almost nobody's seen this movie, but it's secretly a great film. Funny all the way through. One of Jason Priestly's early films and he's great as in everything he does. (No not all of his films are good, but he's good in all of them). It's a movie you don't think you'll want to watch and 15 minutes in, you want to watch the whole thing. Enjoyable, very quotable, and about what every man dreams of-meeting Marilyn Monroe.

guys lack chemistry

Author: SnoopyStyle
6 May 2015

In 1962 UCLA, Ned Bleuer (Gabriel Olds) is alone as he recalls his adolescent with his best friends. Their dream girl Marilyn Monroe has just been fired from 'Something's Got to Give'. Roy Darpinian (Jason Priestley) is a hustler working with the Gallo brothers (Kurt Fuller, Stephen Tobolowsky) and about to go to Army boot camp. One-legged Scott Foreman (Jerry O'Connell) is getting married. Ned is wasting his life in a toy store. Roy convinces the guys to go on a road trip to meet Marilyn.

The guys lack chemistry. It feels like the characters are slam together while the narration drones on. It needs more scenes of the group together before they go on the mission. Priestley is seriously annoying. Olds is bland. O'Connell has little to do. This is a superficial group with little to offer. Their mission is boring. It takes a long time before the movie shows any heart. It's not funny. It has little charm.

My Heart's In A Whirl

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
5 March 2010

Despite this film getting its title from Neil Sedaka's hit song from the early Sixties, Calendar Girl which does take place at that time is about three teen males with raging hormones wanting to meet that ultimate of Calendar Girls, Marilyn Monroe. If you remember Marilyn did the ultimate calendar photos back before these kids reached puberty, but they do discover here and she kind of brings the male out in all three of them.

Anyway our three teens are Jason Priestley, Jerry O'Connell, and Gabriel Olds who decide to take a trip to Hollywood to meet the girl of their wet dreams. Interesting they chose Marilyn, back then which was when I was that age, your typical heterosexual budding teen male fantasized more about Annette Funnicello than Marilyn Monroe. But these kids certainly had mature tastes.

Olds narrates the film which is seen through his character eyes and frankly when you come right down to it, it's about stalking. Of course the term hadn't been invented yet. But now a film star of the magnitude of Marilyn Monroe would not be so accommodating. We've heard real stories about people like Brad Pitt and David Letterman dealing with stalking fans.

Still it's a harmless teenage comedy and will no doubt please the fans of the leads.

John Whitesell Keeps This Film Simple

Author: Katriel from USA
14 July 1999

It's not violent, funny, great, dramatic, nor lame. It's plain and simple, just an ordinary movie with a good plot, but not great either. It was a clash between fun and boring as well.

When I was younger, during my so-called "Teenie-bopper" days (which are now long gone now that I'm older), I loved Jason Priestley! I would tune into Beverly Hills 90210 everyday to see his face! I had posters of him plastered on my wall and one on the ceiling above my bed! Plus I had stickers, book covers, notebooks, you name it! Those were the days! I think I was like eleven years old or so. Now that I'm an eighteen year old girl, I look back at those days and say, "What was I thinking?" But I guess all girls (and sometimes boys) go through that "Teenie-bopper" phase in their early teens, but it always fades away eventually. (**grin**)

Anyhow, back in those days, I thought that this was the best movie I ever saw in my life, but now, I look at it and see just a simple and plain movie. It could be better in so many ways, but simplicity usually makes something turn out to be good. That's all this movie is...it's just good. It's not great, but it's not terrible either. It's just good.

Jason Priestley (who played smooth talking Roy) was good in this movie. I mean, it was a far cry from his (former) 90210 character, Brandon Walsh (who could forget Mr. Clean-Cut Brandon Walsh?). Now, Jason's no longer on 90210 and is married.

And Jerry O'Connell had the perfect face to play the dorky Scott, who had the wooden leg and was engaged to Becky. Of course, Jerry went on to star in other roles like in "Joe's Apartment" and "Scream 2".

By the way, what ever happened to Gabriel Olds (who played Ned, the peace maker of the group)?????