IMDb > Brain Smasher... A Love Story (1993) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Brain Smasher... A Love Story (V) More at IMDbPro »

A Love Story with Kung Fu

Author: caspian1978 from Boston, MA
4 October 2004

A straight to video surprise, Brain Smasher is everything a good low budget b-movie should be. Andrew Dice Clay and Teri Hatcher star in this weird, yet funny and enjoyable action packed love story that makes you shake your head and smile. Not your typical love story, Brain Smasher is a simple story of boy meets girl, boy saves girl, and boy wins girl in the end. Andrew Dice Clay plays, more or less, himself in this movie. Although he is not the typical Dice that we have seen on stage, he gives a good performance to prove once again to the critics that he is an actor and not just a comedian. Hatcher adds her sexy charm and wit to the movie as the story's damsel. Together, they are an interesting match. For fans of both actors, Brain Smasher is one of those movies you rent when all else fails.

Andrew "Dice" Clay, Actor....

Author: Miyagis_Sweaty_wifebeater (sirjosephu@aol.com) from Sacramento, CA
3 March 2005

Brain Smasher...A Love Story (1993) was a second starring vehicle for stand-up comedian Andrew "Dice" Clay. The movie was his second in a three year period. After the luster of his mainstream success died down, the Dice Man went back to the clubs to take care of business. The taste for the silver screen (courtesy of D.T.V.) was calling and starred in this action/comedy film along with Teri Hatcher.

Andrew "Dice" Clay stars as a bruiser who bumps into an attractive lady (Teri Hatcher when she still was hot) and helps her out from being attacked by a gang of Asian thugs. She has a secret that's she's keeping from the Dice Man. Can the Dice Man keep Teri safe from the Asian gang? Will she fall for that big ape? Did anybody watch this movie? If you can find a copy then by all means watch it!

A fun movie that's a lot better than Clay's first starring vehicle (Adeventures of Ford Fairlane). Surprisingly he's a good actor and he carries this film. Ms. Hatcher's not that bad to look at either. A good watch despite the P.G.-13 rating.

Recommended for fans of the Dice Man.

Smashing, baby, yeah!

Author: chainsmoker from up yours
22 September 2001

The Diceman must rescue a supermodel, smash some brains along the way and ultimately save the entire world.

Sounds like a comic book, huh? Guess what, it's a lot funnier than it sounds. First of all, Andrew Dice Clay is no slouch when it comes to acting and brings his unmistakable style to any project he's in. Sometimes it's all in the delivery, and Dice wrote a book on that. Also, there's great chemistry between him and fellow co-star Teri Hatcher. This alone is enough to make this movie worth a look. But there's more...

The film's director Albert Pyun, who also wrote and produced it, brings a style and integrity often lacking in big Hollywood movies that are pulled apart by a dozen of writers, directors that are changed half-way through the shooting, and producers imposing crazy ideas on writers (let's not mention any names). Brain Smasher may not have the special effects of Armageddon and lead showers of Commando, but the comic book-like story flow is incredibly smooth and the acting will surprise you, considering the movie practically went straight to video, which to me doesn't make any sense. I mean, look at all the crap that is released on the big screen. The only logical explanation is that Hollywood put Andrew Dice Clay on their black list and won't give him a break.

Back to the story. The Diceman doesn't exactly play his on-stage persona here. (So if you're looking for off-color humor and women bashing, you won't find them here. Not a hue, not a slightest tint of the onstage bully we all admire. :-) It's more of a Stallone-type action hero. His name is Ed Molloy, professional bouncer. He's the best in the business, with lethal fists and Zen-like manners that have earned him the nickname Brainsmasher.

Teri Hatcher stars as Samantha Crain, international supermodel, whose botanist sister, played by Deborah Van Valkenburgh, finds a red lotus flower in the snows of Tibet and thus becomes the target of a gang of fanatical Chinese monks who think that this flower can give them the key to world domination. With me so far? Yuji Okumoto, who heads the gang of killer Ninjas (but don't you call them Ninjas or they'll break your nose!), has certain plans he hopes to realize with the help of the lotus flower, and must be stopped at all costs. This where the fun begins.

Running from killer Ninjas, the swashbuckling sisters decide to split. That's when Samantha runs into Ed. The bouncer and the model team up to stay alive. With little in common except being in this mess together and a growing mutual attraction, the romance sparks and spectacular street combat sequences provide the wall-to-wall action while the laughs keep flying! Like all great love-on-the-run movies it will leave you breathless as the unlikely superhero saves the world while he gets the girl -- and the laughs.

In short, Brain Smasher is the hippest action/comedy ever!

Worth the viewing time

Author: sxct from Connecticut
16 January 2004

This is the campiest movie you will ever see. It is so bad that it is hysterical. Teri Hatcher tries to play it straight and Andrew Dice Clay is just Andrew Dice Clay. See it. The laughs will make you glad you did.

Hilarious Schlock-filled action flick

Author: rickert from Oregon, USA
5 February 1999

I accidentally caught this film on TV one night on a channel I didn't really get, and noticed it was filmed near where I live. This piqued my interest enough to rent it, and boy was I glad I did. B-Movie man Albert Pyun wrote and directed this hilarious martial-arts action film. It's got a lot of comedy in it (sometimes not intentional) and Pyun manages to even make Andrew Dice Clay likeable! It also has a pre-Lois Teri Hatcher as well. It's corny fun, not meant to be taken seriously, similar to Barry Gordy's The Last Dragon. Lots of one-liners, running gags, decent action, and Teri Hatcher, what else matters?

Thin fun

Author: gridoon
19 November 2007

"Brain Smasher...A Love Story" is sort of fun to watch (there must be about 5 or 6 laughs here and there) and Teri Hatcher is sexy and feisty. But the script is just too thin and one-note: these evil Chinese monks want this flower that is the key to Ultimate Power, and Andrew Dice Clay, Teri Hatcher and Deborah Van Valkenburgh try to keep it away from them. That's it. The whole movie is basically an extended chase, without many plot complications: the monks catch up to the heroes, the heroes fight them off, the heroes run away, repeat. The other thing that bugged me was the inconsistency in the way these monks are presented: at certain times they seem to be invincible and almost superhuman, jumping from and to incredible heights (these acrobatics are definitely the freshest idea of the movie), at other times they are bumbling, inept and useless in a fight. Oh well, I guess you can just look admiringly at Teri Hatcher and try to forgive the weaknesses....Footnote: Brion James and Tim Thomerson have two very small parts as police officers. (**)

This film is very good, a must-see!!

Author: s1577398 from Brisbane, Australia
11 September 2001

This film is excellent, a must-see for fans of action/comedies. Dice-Clay and Hatcher are both terrific in the lead roles, while the woman who played Seinfeld's mother in the tv series is also very good. The film also has quite good special effects and is a lot of fun!

Good fun from Clay

Author: (oxblood) from United States
28 November 2004

I saw this movie a few months ago on Saturday afternoon TV. It caught me by surprise. From the beginning, it caught my got my interest and though it was pretty strange casting, it was actually a good b-movie. It had plenty of action and the stunts weren't bad either. Teri Hatcher looked sexy as always and the monks were a hoot. But it was Clay who stole the show. He was his usual smart-ass self and much better than that "Ford Fairlane" crap.

The scene with his parents was hilarious and surreal within the context of the movie. It was like something out of Seinfeld. I wouldn't mind seeing more of Clay in some other features. He never go to reach his full potential. Not bad for a Pyun flick.

"This guy has no nuts."

Author: utgard14 from USA
9 February 2014

Action-comedy from Albert Pyun that was a starring vehicle for then-relevant comedian Andrew Dice Clay. The real star of the movie, though, is a young and beautiful Teri Hatcher. She's very funny and immensely likable. Clay is surprisingly enjoyable, as well. The plot is some nonsense about a red lotus flower and some "not ninjas" led by Chozen from Karate Kid 2. Some other recognizable faces are Tim Thomerson and Brion James as moronic cops. Liz Sheridan (Mrs. Ochmonek from ALF) plays Clay's mom. Despite the low-budget trappings and an irritating rock music score, it's actually a fun movie with some nice humor and a good cast. If nothing else, see it for Teri.

Super bizarre, but there's fun within

Author: stcanard5 from Canada
22 August 2013

A few months ago, I stumbled upon an online shop selling restored, converted-from-tape movies that had fallen into obscurity, and I found myself fascinated with one movie called "Brainsmasher: A Love Story". A quick look at the trailer promised me complete, unfiltered cinematic insanity, so I eagerly ordered a copy. Post-view, I have to say that despite some blemishes, it was still a fun ride.

Teri Hatcher, Andrew Dice Clay, and Yuji Okumoto are all perfect in their roles, with Okumoto as Wu being an absolute delight on screen. The story itself is insane, and must be seen to believed; director/writer Albert Pyun has been well known for these kinds of things. The action was well done and a lot of fun to watch, particularly with the monks (whom must insist that they are not ninjas). It's also strangely satisfying watching Clay knock people about.

The movie does slow down eventually, first with an encounter with Ed's parents, then the two being arrested and detained, and then Samantha being harassed in a bar. The bar and apartment scene at least add a lot of interesting character development, but the police one was kinda dull. At least when the monks arrive and begin tearing the scene up, you're excited to see them back on screen.

The biggest problem with the movie, in my opinion, is the cop-out ending. The whole movie had been building up to a massive showdown, but when it happens, it's over way too quickly and is pretty messy. Wu is also disposed of in a bizarre, unnerving way (complete with unnecessary sound effect) and the movie slows down once again to give Ed and Samantha a chance to talk before it cuts to credits. There should have at least been some sort of prologue...I mean, how do you go the madness that just transpired? In retrospect, Clay's introduction in the beginning of the film seems like a rushed attempt to fill out the movie after only a set story was filmed. It's a shame, because aside from the abrupt ending and Wu's fist face, everything was going fine.

Would I recommend it? Well, it's not as bad as some of the other things Pyun has made - hell, there's way worse made by other people - but it's a fun way to pass the time. I don't regret seeing it, and I'll probably play it for friends who are interested. And hey...it did teach me the One-Two Knockout.