IMDb > The Beverly Hillbillies (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Super Silly, But Enjoyable

Author: teenymeany from United States
13 February 2016

I think this movie is hilarious. It's very goofy and silly, so if you're expecting an incredibly thoughtful plot, prepare to be disappointed. All of the actors were amazing, and it looked like they had a fun time with their roles. It was refreshing to see Jim Varney in a role different from the Ernest movies, Diedrich Bader is a total hoot as Jethro and Jethrine, and Cloris Leachman is a hilarious Granny. I don't really understand why it has such low reviews, it obviously isn't the most fantastic movie in the world, but it certainly is lovable movie that gets me laughing every time, which I think counts for something. It may be a little different from the original series, but if you accept the movie as a separate entity from the series, it's quite enjoyable. Overall, if you want a lighthearted,silly movie to make you laugh, this is a great one!

Movie version of the popular TV show

Author: Wuchak from Ohio/PA border
5 October 2015

Released in 1993, "The Beverly Hillbillies" is a cinematic version of the hit TV series that ran for a decade from 1962-1971. The story details the family of hillbillies from the Ozarks striking it rich and moving to Beverly Hills where they're strangers in a strange land.

I've never really watched the TV series, although I've of course seen clips here and there. Unlike 1994's "The Flintstones" and 1995's "The Brady Bunch Movie" and their sequels, "The Beverly Hillbillies" isn't nearly as effective, not even close. The cast is good and there are amusing moments, but once the family moves to Southern California the story is uninvolving and you find yourself biding time waiting for the next gag. Sometimes it's downright bad, but there's enough good to glean for a mildly fun time. Lily Tomlin, Erika Eleniak, Lea Thompson and Leann Hunley are enjoyable.

The film runs 92 minutes and was shot in Beverly Hills, Pasadena and Los Angeles, CA.

GRADE: C (a very weak "C")

Well-casted and fun...

Author: hp-proli from Tucker, Georgia
7 January 2015

I have always enjoyed the original Beverly Hillbillies television series and have watched all of the episodes multiple times over the years. So, I had to watch this movie, no matter who was in it and regardless of how good or bad it was.

Honestly, I did not expect much. I fully expected a contrived sub- par plot with actors playing roles that they barely understood. But, what I got in this movie was a pleasant surprise. It was brilliantly cast and remained true to both the premise and the spirit of the original. And, that is the best anyone can expect to do when making a movie continuation of an iconic television series. No, this is not an opportunity to "improve" upon the original - this is an opportunity to give a salute to the original. And, that is what this movie does.

Dabney Coleman plays an admirable Milburn Drysdale. Cloris Leachman plays a wonderful Granny. Lilly Tomlin had Jane Hathaway down pat. And, Jim Varney shines as Jed Clampett, as though he were destined to play the role. Diedrich Bader and Erica Eleniak reprised the roles of Jethro/Jethrine and Elly May convincingly well.

True fans will recognize story elements from several of the original episodes, evoking fond memories and making one long to watch the series all over, again.

One regret I have about this film is that the death of Jim Varney precluded a sequel - no one could have matched his performance as Jed Clampett, except Buddy Ebsen. They had seven years in which they could have done a sequel and they missed their opportunity. That is a sad shame. I would have loved to have seen this cast in another Beverly Hillbillies movie.

Watch for fun or just nostalgia. True fans of the original show will be glad they did.

Californy?....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
14 July 2014

Jed Clampett and his family move from Arkansas to Beverly Hills when he becomes a billionaire after striking oil.

The country folk are naive with life in the big city, so when Jed starts a search for a new wife there are inevitably plenty of takers and con artists ready to make a lot of money.....

Okay, so it's not the best thing in the world, the TV series never really did anything here in the UK, albeit being on a few times after CITV, and at this time in cinemas life, the movie adaptation of a TV was in full swing,thanks to the major success of the previous years 'The Fugitive'.

But the makers of this didn't take into account that that film had a brilliant storyline, narrative, and two cracking central performances.

Here, much like The Flintstones, released this year too, relied on the name to put bums on seats, and then work the script around the title. The Flintstones failed miserably, as it aimed too high and was more high profile. This is as laid back as the depicted family, and although it's very silly, and utterly forgettable, it's still a bit of dozy old fun.

The cast are okay with what they are given, and Varney and Tomlin act everybody off screen. Eleniak is just eye candy, and proves why she never made it big in Hollywood.

Schneider and Thompson are the obligatory bad guys, and seeing Thompson in a small role, in a decidedly dodgy movie is pretty depressing, but all in all, its summer fluff.

But if you see on TV adaptation from 1994, go with Maverick, its a hoot.

Wooo-Weee, VARNEY!!

Author: bug76 from United States
27 March 2011

While others seemed quite surprised at Varney's dramatic performance as Jed as being excellent(most associate him with lovable Ernest P. Worrell), I was not surprised. I love the Ernest character and the entire Ernest genre. With Varney being able to pull off a multitude of characters and voices(over 61), I wasn't shocked at his performance as the serious Jed Clampett. It was refreshing to see him play the straight role while the comedy was happening around him. I've always wanted to see Varney in dramatic roles as well and knew he had it in him to do so. Varney was the perfect choice for Jed and no one could've done better. Ebsen should be proud. I must admit, I was so used to seeing Varney as Ernest that I WAS shocked when I saw 'Jed' come down the stairs in a black hat, white shirt and black pants. The first thing I thought was, "Weeeee, Doggie. Sexy." I couldn't help myself. I'm from Alabama, and I know that the accents were somewhat forced on some parts like Elly Mae's but Varney's was dead on. Since he was born in Kentucky and lived in Tennessee, how could it not? With Tomlin, Parton and Coleman, it felt like a 9-5 reunion. Bader playing the moronic Jethro cracked me up especially when he 'figured' out how to bowl. Leachman as Granny was perfect. Being such a small little thing, she has a big personality. I remember watching her as the witch in 'Hansel and Gretal' and just loving the performance. Another hilarious scene was how the Clampett's gave everyone on the interstate the bird because they honestly thought that was how people said hello in 'Californy'. One of my favorite parts was when two hooligans come up beside them after being cut off by Jethro, and pull a gun. Jed stands up, points a huge rifle at them and says, "That's real nice, son. This here's what I carry." The two guys speed away. I grew up watching some of the reruns of the original 'Beverly Hillbillies'. And the movie is a nice parody of the original, but keeping true to the story and characters. Jim sang a version of 'Hot Rod Lincoln' and it was just excellent. Not only did he had a wonderful singing voice, he was also very articulate. I recommend this movie. If you're a Varney fan then I highly recommend you get this and enjoy!!

Cinematic adaptation from known TV series with minimal story but some moment is entertaining

Author: ma-cortes
2 November 2007

This film based on successful TV series by Paul Henning. It begins when mountaineer Jed accidentally discovers a surprise in his property because he has struck oil during a shooting, gotten million of dollars, and turning instantly billionaire . Then he packs his backwoods family and heads to Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, California.They change into a lush mansion , but still live like Hillbillies because they still dress tattered ragged suits and rustics costumes .The hillbillies clan are Jed(Jim Varney in the role of Buddy Ebsen), a good-hearted and kind father looking new spouse, his daughter Elly May(Erika Elinak, role of Donna Douglas),an extraordinary gorgeous but incredibly ingenious and pursued by a suitor(Kevin Connolly), the Granny(Cloris Leachman), a senile, paranoid and obstinate old woman and Jethro(Dietrich Vader, role of Max Baer) , he's idiot though strong, he's actually only acting like an authentic stupid and doesn't even realize it. Besides, the ambitious banker(Dabney Coleman) and his botcher helper(Lily Tomlin) who will make anything of keep the Camplett family money in his bank. Meanwhile, they are duped by a mean pair(Lea Thompson and Rob Schneider).

Everyone casting does rightly their impersonations from television characters with special mention of Jim Varney as the sensible and good father looking for wife and particularly, Dietrich as a double role as the dumb Jethro and his sister, furthermore a likable Granny, well incarnated by Cloris Leachman. Appear special cameos, Zsa Zsa Gabor as a delinquent, Dolly Parton singing country music and Buddy Ebsen, the original Jed , reprises another of his television acting, Barnaby Jones.The film contains a stunning music score with ballads by Scoggins like the original series, songs by Dolly Parton and Hank Williams and soundtrack by Lalo Schifrin. The motion picture is regularly directed by Penelope Scpheeris. Rating: Average but amusing. The film will like to nostalgics and hardcore series fans.

Outhouse droppings. . . . . flush three times

Author: Matthew_Capitano from Beverly Hills, CA
28 December 2014

Absolutely vomited remake of the ancient, but superior TV show.

Let's peruse the poisonous cast, shall we?. . . . Jim Varney plays a black-haired 'Jed'; Cloris Leachman is a subdued 'Granny'; they wanted a real lesbian to play 'Miss Hathaway', so they got Lily Tomlin; Dabney Coleman does his best to bore as 'Drysdale'; Erika Eleniak can't muster enough charm as 'Ellie'; and the guy playing 'Jethro' mistakes retardation for humility. Totally charmless attempt to cash in on the series simply because they couldn't think of anything else to do, and apparently they didn't want to try.

The Deadheads who run Hollywood sure bat a thousand when it comes to cranking out regurgitated garbage.

not terrible, but it unfortunately led to terrible things

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
30 September 2012

It's become a cliché that modern adaptations of classic TV shows are among the worst movies of all. "The Flintstones" was simply a BAD movie in every way! While there have been a few bright spots ("The Addams Family" and "Charlie's Angels") pretty much everything else has been execrable.

This modern adaptation of the Clampett brood has some funny stuff but mostly isn't worth the time. One could make the argument that "The Beverly Hillbillies" is half-homage, half-parody. Even so, this was a letdown for Penelope Spheeris after "Wayne's World". It was interesting to see Jim Varney in a non-Ernest role, though.

Also starring Cloris Leachman, Erika Eleniak (the girl kissed by Elliott in "ET"), Lily Tomlin, Dabney Coleman and Rob Schneider.

Demeaning to Arkansas people.

Author: donwolf20 from United States
24 February 2012

This was a big disappointment because I expected more of the series. The roles of Jethro, the banker and prospective bride were awful. The roles of father and daughter were well written and well performed. Tomlinson also did a great job. But the writing for the other characters was awful and the acting was either awful or possibly well performed to an awful script. The main objection I have to the film is that it is demeaning to hillbillys. The original series was entertaining in pointing out the difference between Hollywood and Arkansas without depicting the characters as stupid. This film paints a false picture of not just ignorance, but of stupididy on the part of the hillbillys.

Hot Dog! The Beverly Hillbillies Have Their Own Movie!

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
17 November 2002

[CONTAINS SPOILERS]

In the Ozarks in Arkansas lived a backwoods family. There was the patriarch, Jed Clampett who spent his time hunting with his faithful hound dog, Duke. Jed was a poor mountaineer who barely kept his family fed. His daughter, Elly May, spent her time playing with her woodland critters, and Daisy May "Granny" Moses, Jed's mother in-law, was the hills' doctor. She could cure whatever ailed everyone. Then, one afternoon as Jed was hunting, he aimed and shot at some food, when out of the ground came a bubbling crude. Oil, that is. Black gold. Texas tea! An oil company representative came and told Jed that he was sitting on a gold mine! He was rich! The Clampetts were given two billion dollars, but what to do with it? Cousin Pearl Bodine and her son, Jethro came for Sunday supper and Pearl suggested Jed and his family move out to California where they've got swimming pools and movie stars. Elly wasn't too happy about the move but when Jed decided the move would be good for her because he was going to try to get remarried, so she agreed to it. Jethro would accompany the family so they loaded his bulky old truck and moved to Beverly. Hills that is.

Meanwhile in Beverly Hills, the president of the Commerce Bank, Milburne Drysdale, learned of the Clampetts and was determined to go to great lengths to appease them in every way. He appointed his secretary, Jane Hathaway to go to their mansion to welcome them but when the Clampetts arrive, Hathaway thought they were intruders and called the feds. When they got out of jail, the Clampetts were quick to forgive Miss Hathaway. The Clampetts invited Mr. and Mrs. Drysdale to supper. They ate on the billiard table and used the cues as pot passers. Drysdale had a crooked assistant, Woodrow Tyler, who wanted to get his hands on the Clampett fortune and as soon as he heard that Jed wanted to get married AND needed a tutor for Elly May, he had his fianceé Laura, disguise herself as a French teacher who would teach Elly May ettiquate. Jethro becomes vice president at the bank and spent his time sharpening pencils right down to nubs. Jethro is really something, let me tell you. When Miss Hathaway tried to drive out the front gate and said on the intercom she was trapped in the walls, Jethro heard her voice over the intercom and thought she was trapped in the walls of the house so started punching through them looking for her. Of course, he didn't find her. Jethro then put big-foot tires on his truck, rather than just buy a new car. Mr. Drysdale's son, Morgan, accompanied Elly May to school where she became the best wrestler in school.

Laura began getting close to Jed so he announced there would be a wedding. Tyler arranged it so as soon as Jed and Laura said 'I do', the Clampett fortune would be their's. The Clampetts invited all 100 of their cousins from the Ozarks. Granny discovered Laura and Tyler's plans so they had her committed to an old folks' home where poor Granny was given electric shock treatment. Miss Hathaway to the rescue and, using Jethro's truck, crash the wedding. Laura and Tyler go to jail and the cousins and the Clampetts commence a hoedown. Well now it's time to say goodbye to Jed and all his kin. They'd like to thank you folks for kindly stopping in. You're all invited back again to this locality to have a heapin' helpin' of their hospitality.

A pretty good movie. It's funny. It's from Penelope Spheeris who also directed Wayne's World and The Little Rascals. Jim Varney was a good Jed. He's sadly no longer with us. We all know Varney as Ernest P. Worrell, know what I mean? Cloris Leachman is Granny, Dabney Coleman is Mr. Drysdale, Diedrich Bader is Jethro. He's also Jethrine, Erika Elleniak (not half as pretty as Donna Douglas) is Elly May, and Lily Tomlin (she was born to play that role because she so closely resembles Nancy Kulp) is Miss Hathaway. Rob Schneider (Saturday Night Live) is Tyler and Lea Thompson (Back to the Future) is Laura. Also watch for cameos by Dolly Parton, Zsa Zsa Gabor, and Buddy Ebsen! This was a pretty good movie, I recommend it for fans of the TV series or people who are not fans of the TV series!

Page 3 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]