IMDb > The Beverly Hillbillies (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Beverly Hillbillies

The Beverly Hillbillies More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Out of the whole clan of the Clampets only two make the cut

Author: gn65283 from United States
18 April 2007

I was excited when this movie was announced because I had been raised on the reruns. I walked into the theater sat down and was prepared to be entertained. Actually, I was very disappointed. Only the characters of Granny and Jedd were worth their salt. The character of Jethro had been dumbed down to an absolute idiot and Ellie Mae became more of a tomboy than was ever present on the show. Jim Varney did a very good job, I would have to say Buddy Ebson had to have been proud, especially since he had a cameo in the movie. Cloris Leachman was an OK Granny, I went in disappointed because when she tried out for the part she had yet to have seen an episode. Also, I am from the Appalachian area of North Carolina so I know what mountain talk sounds like. Everyone but Jim Varney absolute butchered the Southern dialect, it wasn't even funny. All in all the only thing you get out of this is a good job by Jim Varney and very vague resemblance of the television show.

There are some good parts in the film, but it's not worth sitting through the rest of the movie to see them.

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
6 April 2003

"The Beverly Hillbilles" is a disappointment for two reasons: (a), it comes from Penelope Spheeris, who brought us the funny "Wayne's World," and (b), it fails miserably at catching the charm of the television show. Yet with all the negative points of the film, it still manages to come of silly in its own way; it's a bad movie, but not a particularly harmful one, on the other hand.

The late Jim Varney plays Jed Clampett, who--as all we all know--discovers some oil out in Arkansas, becomes a millionaire, and moves his family out to Beverly Hills, California. This is the excuse for some half-brained and ultimately stupid gags that sometimes become so bad it's hard to watch, yet make up for themselves when the film starts to make fun of itself.

Jim Varney fits Jed pretty well, but too many of the actors and actresses seem forced and the dialogue is reminiscent of a straight-to-television flick written by authors with Writer's Block.

Too much of the film borrows from other films we've seen before--and the gags have been done in those films about ten times better. The cast is top-o'-the-notch, co-starring the likes of Lea Thompson, Cloris Leachmen, Dolly Parton, Rob Schneider, Dabney Coleman, and even the real Buddy Ebson in a cameo.

But a cameo by Buddy Ebson cannot save a badly written film.

There really is no excuse for why this film was so bad. It had a good director, an overall good cast, a good script-writer, some good cameos, and good potential for some parody. But instead it comes off dull, recycled and misused, and ultimately a rehash of everything we've seen before, done in a childish and cartoonish way.

So, yes, there are some good parts in the film, but it's not worth sitting through the rest of the film to see them.

1.5/5 stars -

John Ulmer

Funny and Underrated

Author: candy_kiss from United States
25 June 2005

I was surprised to see that this movie had such a low rating. It was hilarious with many memorable scenes. This was a childhood favorite that I still love to this day. Now that it's finally out on DVD I can watch it whenever I want ;p The Scene where Jed's family is on the plane is easily enough reason to shell out the $5.50 to buy this movie. NOw that it's becoming a trend in Hollywood to remake the movies you should take a chance to see one of the first movies to do this. By the way this one is genius compared to some of the newer remakes of classic t.v. Heck, personally, I think it's genius compared to a lot of today's comedy. Take a chance and see this movie. You wont' be disappointed ;)

A great antidote for the blues -- hilarious!

Author: missy_baxter (missy_baxter@yahoo.com) from Boston, MA
6 July 2001

This is satire at its funniest. When I first saw this movie in 1994, I was really depressed and it cheered me right up. So, the following year, I was feeling blue again and saw this for sale for $10 and bought it, and it cheered me again.

There is no rocket science here (except of course, for Jethro), just enough flat-out absurdist satire to make me laugh and laugh and laugh. Extremely true to the spirit of the original, this is very well-performed and totally irreverent. Cloris Leachman, Lily Tomlin, and Elena Ereniak are standouts as Granny, Miss Jane, and Elly Mae, actually improving slightly on the originals which I didn't think possible. Buddy Ebsen is marvelous in a cameo as Barnaby Jones, and Linda Carlson makes a terrific Cousin Pearl. Junior Drysdale is also enjoyable. {Penny Fuller was very bad as Mrs. Drysdale, but it's a minor role.} Dietrich Bader is a great Jethrine, and a fair-to-middling Jethro.

But, the real revelation is the late Jim Varney (incredible to think that he is dead for five years while Buddy Ebsen is still with us).

I HATE the Ernest movies, and was expecting the worst. But Varney, actually captured the soul and spirit of Jed Clampett even better than Ebsen if possible. He is magnificent in the role. What a pity he died so young!

But, every time I watch this gem of unreality-TV (to steal Nick at Nite's brilliant catch-phrase), which I have done 10 times so far, Varney's best performance ever lives on in my heart.

The Beverly Hillbillies Movie: Comedy From 1993

Author: FloatingOpera7 from United States
14 October 2007

The Beverly Hillbillies (1993): Jim Varney, Cloris Leachman, Lily Tomlin, Diedrich Bader, Erika Eleniak, Lea Thompson, Rob Schneider, Dabney Coleman, Dolly Parton, Buddy Ebsen, Kevin Connolly, Penny Fuller, Lyman Ward, Linda Carlson, Leann Hunley, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Eric Edwards, Robert Easton, Don McNatt, James Schmid, Charlie Heath, James O'Sullivan, Stan Mazin, Anushka Jones, Lisa Montgomery, Micahel B. Moynahan, Mike Norris....Director Penelope Spheeris, Screenplay Paul Henning, Lawrence Konner, Mark Rosenthal, Jim Staahl, Jim Fisher.

Released in 1993 from Director Penelope Spheeris, a female director at a time when there weren't many of them, this was the Beverly Hillbillies movie, based upon the classic 60's comedy. Because more than one writer worked on the script, and because the cast was a pretty talented group of comic actors - Jim Varney (He was the "Hey, Vern!" guy, Ernest in various comedy films in the 80's) Diedrich Bader (he would be a regular on Drew Carey), Cloris Leachman needs no introduction and neither does Lily Tomlin. Plus, there are cameos by Dolly Parton, Buddy Ebsen, the original Jed Clampett and Zsa Zsa Gabor. The premise is the same, except this time the setting is in the early 90's. Jed Clampett (Varney) discovers oil in his Arkansas mountain home and becomes a millionaire over night. He moves his family - daughter Ellie May (Erika Eleniak), cousin Jethro (Diedrich Bader) and his elderly grandmother (Cloris Leachman) to Beverly Hills, at a time when it was still hip and elitist, the zip code to billionaires. The Clampetts put their money in the bank of Milburn Drysdale (Dabney Coleman) who becomes their financial planner. Jane Hathaway (Tomlin) becomes their accountant. But another couple - Laura and Woodrow (Leah Thompson and Rob Schneider)have set their sights on taking the Clampett fortune. Laura poses as a French teacher to Ellie May and wins Jed's heart, making him propose marriage. With one click of a computer, she can get his money to her Swiss bank account. Will the Clampetts end up on top ? This movie is entertaining and one of those comedies that require good acting and plot and it's not just visual jokes or tawdry jokes. Few comedies are made like this nowadays but still, Beverly Hillbillies was one of the many good comedy films of the early 90's which saw films like "Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead" "Encino Man" and the Ace Ventura Pet Detective films. The film does not contain adult content and the language is not offensive, so it's entertaining for the whole family, but it got a PG-13 rating because some of the jokes go over the heads of smaller children who wouldn't understand.

A gallant attempt that falls sadly short

Author: anonymous from Maine
20 May 1999

The Beverly Hillbillies is one of the greatest TV sitcoms of all time. However this remake sadly falls way short. It may even be one of the worst films ever made. The film following it's opening sequence with Jed striking oil and then the familiar ballad goes nowhere after that. Although Jim Varney does do an admirable job as Jed Clampett. It appeared at times that every entire episode of the classic TV series was trying to be compressed into this film. The famous cast of characters from the TV series simply can not be played by any one other than the original actors and actresses i.e. No one other than Max Baer can play Jethro Bodine. Do yourself a favor and pass on this one and find the original TV series on a channel featuring reruns and enjoy those instead.

One of the worst movies I've EVER seen!!!

Author: Board from Denmark
21 December 2002

As my summary says, this is one of the worst films I've seen my entire life!!! This was supposed to be a comedy and the big problem is that it's not funny! At least I don't think it is! The acting and the story telling is told in a way that they give the impression that the viewers are stupid and it's all slapstick and super corny humor! I only laughed two times during this movie! One of the times was when Diedrich Bader was bowling and the other time was when he was dancing at a wedding or something like that. All in all, a terrible, terrible movie that I can't recommend anyone in the world to see!

Liked the movie( Jim Varney Fan)

Author: Inceptor5 from Texas
9 December 2004

I thought this was just another example of how good Jim Varney was. The movie was funny and held to the nature of the original show. If you like Jim Varney and want to see a very funny show I recommend it. I couldn't wait for this movie to be released on DVD. I only wished now the one Jim Varney made called Earnest P. Worrel's Family Album would be released. I liked the Earnest Movies for example: Goes to camp, Saves Christmas etc... But this movie I feel like is much better.

If you liked the old TV series this Movie will bring back memories, I didn't think they could find another as good as Buddie Epson for Jed Clampet but see for your self Jim Varney did a wonderful job. I will have to rate this one high on account of good clean FAMILY movie.

Piddyful

Author: mje2k (mje2k@yahoo.com) from Gaylord, Michigan USA
8 April 2006

There is a trend these days to take a simple thirty minute TV show, toss it up onto the big screen and fill it full of modern references and phrases and situations. Bewitched is a fine example of a great original TV series that went horribly wrong on the big screen. The Beverly Hillbillies was another such series that got ruined on the big screen.

The Beverly Hillbillies on TV was a sweet little comedy, with funny characters in a fish out of water situation. Even when the show went downhill later on, there was an innocence about it.

In the big screen version of The Beverly Hillbies we see such treasures as: The Clampetts are in the truck and while driving by a tree, Granny in the rocking chair, gets knocked off the truck onto the road.

The Clampetts on a Los Angeles Freeway flipping people off.

Granny gets placed in an insane asylum and stoned on God knows what, only to be rescued by Miss Hathaway, in the end we see them crashing Jed's wedding in the Clampett family truck that has somehow been rigged to look like the show vehicle, Bigfoot. Truly awful.

The Clampetts kith and kin fly to Californy and there is a rather disgusting scene where the whole family is spitting. Classy.

While the original Hillbillies was not Shakespeare by any means, the actors who created these memorable character deserve better that this piece of swill.

For some reason I actually paid for a movie ticket to see this schlock fest when it came out in movie theaters. I was appalled that the people around me were laughing their fool heads off. I felt dirty and needed a bath.

Not the best remake, but entertaining

Author: Davis P from United States
23 February 2017

This 1993 film adaptation of the classic TV show from the 60's is moderately entertaining. The casting is perfect. Cloris Leachman, Lily Tomlin, Lea Thompson, Rob Schneider, and, Dabney Coleman are all great in their portrayals of the characters. The dialogue is very much like the show in many ways, with of course some modern updates. The sets and costumes are perfect, just like the show. The comedy is moderate, in some scenes it's obvious that they are trying too hard by the abundance of slapstick and crude comedy, but in other scenes I think the comedy worked and was suitable given the show it's based on. I loved the lea Thompson/Rob Schneider marriage money stealing plot line, I thought they made a good pair of bad guys. The movie as a whole is good innocent fun, especially if you were a big fan of the old television show. I give The Beverly Hillbillies (1993) a 7 out of 10 stars.

Page 2 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]