IMDb > Being Human (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

A good, thoughtful film

Author: docadams from Starkville
15 June 2004

This is one of those comfortable Sunday-afternoon-while-it's-raining films. It is one of Robin Williams more serious characters.

A little moody in places, the film offers reflections on what it might have been like to live at other times, as a sort of social history (no being a king or queen or royalty). The main character plays his life issues out through time, from ancient Rome, a Viking raid, a 16th or 17th century continental vagrant, to the present. Love, life's tragedies, children, and home are all themes. There is a light-heartiness to the film, and it plays on the contemporary character's life as it unfolds. Robin Williams turns in a typically great performance.

The themes and emotions all play in their times. Settings are as varied as the emotions. Sweet and sentimental, the movie captures and makes a statement about the human condition.

Give it a chance and you will find introspection

Author: abcetinkaya from Maryland
22 July 2004

I watched this movie when I was 21. Then again when I was 27 and every time I view it, it brings the point home even more: We are who we are even when we try not to be. Now, I'm looking for it on DVD and can't come across it :(

I don't know what else to say about the movie. I don't want to give away the story. Robin Williams character is the central figure in the vignettes of the storyline. Surprising supporting cast with excellent cameo performances from John Turturro, Vincent D'Onfrio, Hector Elizondo, Ewan McGregor, William H. Macy, Lorraine Bracco and more.

I only know that at times when I was at my most introspective, did I think of the world being smaller than what I was told and that maybe, we are bigger than we can imagine.

Being human is all we can be, for good or ill. Until the next life. A-

A Masterpiece.

Author: Sergei_Esenin (Sergei_Esenin@yahoo.com) from Washington, D.C.
2 June 2002

Contrary to some negative reviews, this is neither a bad film nor one of Forsythe's "worst." Such criticism issues from the fact that this film is about the lives of ordinary people, with Robin Williams playing a succession of classic Everyman characters. As such, most people won't find it "entertaining" enough, particularly if they're of the gimme-gimme-now post-MTV generations. This film tells stories about small people, not notable ones, and the emotions which they feel.

*Being Human* is a slow and philosophical story--as the title suggests, it's a story about what it is to be human. Love, loss, slavery, hopelessness, faithfulness, lust, hope--all these themes are touched upon as the story moves throughout the ages, presenting us with various Everyman characters all played by Robin Williams in what are surely his best dramatic performances.

This film is much like *My Dinner with Andre*--a truly meaningful and important film which isn't meant to appeal to everyone, just a more intellectual crowd. Its unfortunate spate of negative reviews comes from the fact that, unlike *My Dinner with Andre*, it was targeted for broader public consumption with a fairly large theatrical release, and to this day plays on premium cable channels to audiences who want to be watching fast-paced blockbusters rather than introspections into our humanity.

If you can appreciate a film with a slower and more deliberate pace and real insights into humanity, watch *Being Human*. It's a masterpiece.

Excellent look at society

Author: steventemplar from Canada
9 February 2002

I thought this was an excellent film. Robin Willams takes the serious side of life and portrays it well. The most memorable part is during the pre-historic scene. His expression and utter helplessness when his family is taken away is something I will never forget.

A touching sequence of stories...

Author: Bahattin YILDIZ (bahai62@hotmail.com) from Ankara
10 October 2000

Well, I think everyone can find something about himself in this movie.Because it is the common story of humanity...We all face the same conditions(independent of time) in our life during the process of learning about courage, love, compassion, honesty and the similiar aspects of humanity. The story is told as a sequence of stories, each happening at a different time so that it emphasizes the same tragedy of humanity in all ages...The only different thing is the time parameter...Everything is just same apart from that... As a result I think the movie was perfect because of the story it emphasized and also(for me) because of the outstanding acting of Robin Williams...

Probably Williams' best work

Author: escoles from rochester ny usa
28 May 2000

This is my favorite Bill Forsythe picture, and probably Robin Williams' best work in one of those subdued yet utterly involved performances we all know he's capable of (_What Dreams May Come_, _...Garp_, _Good Will Hunting_, etc.) yet seldom see from him. It's much more serious than Forsythe's prior work (Local Hero, Comfort & Joy, etc.), but shares with them his quietly surreal sensibility.

Excellent supporting cast, and Forsythe's peculiar talent for making gray skies and barren landscapes seem beautiful is strongly in evidence. I waited eagerly for this to hit theatres, but it was apparently pulled from release; I hope to see it on a big screen someday.

This is not a movie that rewards casual viewing -- but more serious, involved viewing is repaid handsomely.

Not as bad as the initial reviews indicated

Author: Brian Leonard (unclebrian@brianleonard.net) from Springfield, VA
5 January 1999

Being Human is probably Bill Forsyth's "worst" film. And it got some of the LOUSIEST reviews ever when released. But Bill Forsyth's worst is still better than most people's best, and there was some positive reappraisal of it when the video came out. I think it's worth seeing, especially if you don't compare it to Forsyth's great films (Local Hero, Housekeeping, Gregory's Girl). Robin Williams is fine, as usual, as our anti-hero through time, and if the plot and running jokes wear more than a little thin by the end, the journey is still interesting.

Cerebral storytelling

Author: Jugu Abraham (jugu_abraham@yahoo.co.uk) from Trivandrum, Kerala, India
14 March 2003

Fables were used in the past to tell stories to children. Here Hector (Robin Williams) and a woman story teller (Theresa Russel) whom we never see but only hear, weave several stories for Hector's children to explain his absence from their lives for several years. Each story attempts to explain figuratively what emotions he went through during the period.

An attentive viewer is amply rewarded by director Bill Forsyth--if you are a casual viewer you will wonder what is happening and consider the film to be disjointed and hence poor entertainment.

Non-linear narratives are not Forsyth's invention--such films have adorned French and Hungarian cinema for decades. "Being Human" is above average in that company merely because of fine performances from Williams, the beautiful Anna Galiena (Beatrice) an Italian actress, Hector Elizondo, John Turturro, William Macy, and Ewan McGregor to mention a few.

While the imaginative storytelling technique was impressive, Forsyth never explains who the lady narrator is. Are we expected to imagine it to be Hector's new love? The gradual jumps in time scales, gives us a socio-historical perspective into Hector's education in life, seen through the eyes of his children. Forsyth is interesting but not the best director using this technique. His film demands attention, both literally and figuratively.

I understand that the director disowns the film after the studios forced him to truncate the film by 40 minutes. Probably the director's cut is far superior to the present version and is likely to be more satisfying to a discerning viewer.

This is a fantastic movie if you take the time to understand it...

Author: LolaDoll84 from Albany, New York
9 December 2001

Unfortunately, many people who have seen and reviewed this movie have not taken the time to see its true meaning. Being Human is not the story of man's development over time, it is the story of one man (Robin Williams) and the stages his life has passed through. I watched this movie in an Advanced Cinematography class, and I hated it. But as I began to see the connections between water and shoes as symbols, I began to appreciate it even more. Perhaps I am giving it away, but to really "get" this movie, just look at the title. Forsyth's movie is about being a human being. Hector (Williams) is simply being human, and having a tough time of it. My advice in watching this movie is to pay careful attention to the last segment. It is the key to understanding Being Human.

They're Celts

Author: Glaschu
16 August 1999

The first scene, sometimes referred to as cavemen, Goths or Vikings in reviews seems more accurately to be ancient Celts. The language they speak is made of broken Scottish or Irish Gaelic. On the other hand, maybe it was Robin Williams who was the Celt and the marauders spoke broken Gaelic because it was foreign to them. Hmmm. Without more information (they are a fairly laconic lot) I would assume they are probably a rival tribe of fellow Gaelic-speaking Celts of Scotland or Ireland. This was a welcome tidbit at the beginning of the film and probably added to my enjoyment.

I appreciated the attempt to portray the ordinariness of life throughout the ages and I view the slowness of the film in this light. Life is often slow. These were interesting vignette-like character studies of one man who is never able to be completely in control of situations around him, but who perseveres.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]