IMDb > Beethoven's 2nd (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Beethoven's 2nd More at IMDbPro »

Actually quite good!

Author: cohru01
4 February 2003

I don't understand the trashing comments I just read. This film is very, very good. I've seen it at least 5 or 6 times and it was enjoyable the first and last time I saw it. The film making was superb. I actually did some research to see where that cottage was located and see if there were any rentals.

I saw no character flaws in anyone. Each character was precise and very believable. Continuity errors were at a minimum. I also don't understand the rating this movie got. It was NOT THAT BAD! If there was poor acting, or plots, or errors then I could see trashing the movie. But really!

Even the musical score was perfect for each scene. A mixture of real classical and real rock. The music score designer deserves an 'A'.

Best parts: 1) Beethoven's nose in the beginning, followed by his dream sequence. 2) Anything Regina did. She was perfect! 3) Grodin trying to explain where babies come from. 3) The bully sequence at the fair (bite this guy in the weiner!) 4) The hamburger eating contest. 5) The tree stump scene with Penn. 6) Finally, all of the grunting noises Beethoven made. I can actually imitate each one. My kids love it when I do that.

Come on people. The movie was really enjoyable with quality Hollywood direction and design. Please stop knocking it. Give it another try. Or next time, try watching it with a child. You'll see.

Just as good as the first!

Author: ashleyparsons115 from United States
3 March 2011

Okay I know a lot of people don't like this movie, but I don't see what is wrong with it. The Newmans this time decide to take a family vacation and of course bring Beethoven along. Although this time he has had puppies. The puppies mother is after them and tries to steal them. But the family sticks together to try and save the puppies.

If you enjoy the first one then you will love this one. It is the same great cast and family setting. It is a non stop laughing fest just like the first.

Most of the time sequels aren't as good, not in this case. There are some great scenes involving Beethoven and his puppies. Children of all ages will love this along with their parents!

Okay, But No Match For The Fist One

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
3 July 2007

This isn't a bad sequel but it's unable to measure up to the first "Beethoven," which was an extremely likable film. This is still a "cute" film and one parents and all the kiddies certainly will like.

It features a litter of St. Bernard puppies, and who doesn't go "aww" at the sight of little puppies, especially St. Bernard's? The puppies are the main story here, which turns into a "crime" story when "Missy" is dog-napped and the little ones also become endangered.

I didn't think this was a "silly" story as there are some good morals and lessons to be learned, but it was a bit "sappy." I get a little annoyed, too, when animals are pictured as smarter than the humans. I'm sorry but, as much as you might love pets and hate some people, that just ain't so.

Nonetheless, if you loved the first movie you'll find enough to like in here to enjoy it. If you thought the first film was just okay, you won't like this.

A little too silly if you ask me

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
2 April 2004

Now, why would they have a sequel? I'm curious. The family has already had an adventure by saving the dog from the first film. You'd think "OK, they live happily ever after". Nope.

LITTLE SPOILERS

Beethoven falls for another St. Bernard. And they have puppies together, but Beethoven's girlfriend's master wants the puppies. The kids take the puppies without her permission. And she stalks the family to get the puppies. The family goes on a vacation. The children all learn morals of life. The parents fall in love again. And Beethoven cries over his girlfriend. And the woman happens to bump into them again. I mean, how more silly can you get? What are these family's chances of having to save their dog once again? We'll never know until the third one.

The last watchable "Beethoven" film...

Author: MovieAddict2014 from UK
12 February 2004

Watchable first sequel to the surprise hit stars Charles Grodin and Bonnie Hunt as the reprising Newton family, whose slobbering Saint Bernard--Beethoven--gets himself a female doggie to make love with and produce tiny little doggies with. Problem: Two evil dognappers are chasing after the puppies.

Why do they want them? Well, why did Cruella Devil want puppies? Because they're villains.

A very poor movie, but compared to "Beethoven's 3rd, 4th" and "5th" this looks like a masterpiece.

2.5/5 stars -- mediocre but watchable sequel.

- John Ulmer

Academy Award Nominated...and deservedly so!

Author: atrac from United States
2 January 2007

A lot of people don't realize that this film was nominated not only for an Academy Award, but also a Golden Globe and Grammy Award! That third item gives it away -- the song "The Day I Fall in Love" from this movie garnered all of the nominations, and deservedly so. It's a wonderful composition performed brilliantly by Dolly Parton and James Ingram. It has become one of my favorite songs of all time and it easily outclasses this movie.

In my opinion it was practically a miracle that the song got honored by the three biggest award firms because the movie is nothing special and a lot of times brilliance goes unnoticed when it is contained in a sub-par film. Also the song got very little radio airplay; the video only appeared occasionally on VH-1.

At any rate, other than the superlative song, there are some cute dog scenes in this movie. And Debi Mazar is definitely a highlight as the 101 Dalmatians inspired villain.

My best recommendation is to watch the music video for the song. It includes all of the best highlights from the film (the aforementioned cute dog scenes), you'll hear the incredible song and get glimpses of the stunningly cute Ashley Hamilton and not end up hating him because of the schmuck his character ends up being in the film.

Beethoven's return!

Author: Christopher Smith
20 August 2001

To be honest, I found BEETHOVEN'S 2ND to be better than the first BEETHOVEN movie. This movie was a lot funnier than the first one was. This was a very clever and enjoyable movie. It's the perfect family movie. If you liked BEETHOVEN, you'll love BEETHOVEN 2ND!!!!

Cuter than the first

Author: Catherine Grace Zeh (FilmGirlGZ@aol.com) from Vienna, Virginia, USA
9 August 2001

BEETHOVEN'S 2ND, in my opinion, is even cuter than the first BEETHOVEN. I laughed REALLY hard when George (Charles Grodin) first discovered the puppies in the basement of his house and said, "OH, no!" Those puppies were absolutely adorable! In my opinion, Regina (Debi Mazar) and Floyd (Chris Penn) were like Cruella and her henchmen, Horace and Jasper! I was so glad when the puppies got them all dirty. I mean, what human being would want to drown five sweet, cute, innocent puppies? When Beethoven caused the deck of Taylor's (Ashley Hamilton) lake house to collapse, I was relieved. This was because he saved Ryce (Nicholle Tom) from being raped. In conclusion, I HIGHLY recommend this cute movie to all you dog lovers or Charles Grodin fans who have not seen it.

Cuter than the first

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
17 November 2005

BEETHOVEN'S 2ND, in my opinion, is even cuter than the first BEETHOVEN. I laughed really hard when George (Charles Grodin) first discovered the puppies in the basement of his house and said, "Oh, no!" Those puppies were absolutely adorable! In my opinion, Regina (Debi Mazar) and Floyd (Chris Penn) were like Cruella and her henchmen, Horace and Jasper! I was so glad when the puppies got them all dirty. I mean, what human being would want to drown five sweet, cute, innocent puppies? When Beethoven caused the deck of Taylor's (Ashley Hamilton) lake house to collapse, I was relieved. This was because he saved Ryce (Nicholle Tom) from being raped. In conclusion, I highly recommend this cute movie to all you dog lovers or Charles Grodin fans who have not seen it.

Beethoven's 2nd

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
24 July 2014

It was only because of the unexpected financial success of the original film about the lovable St. Bernard dog that the makers decided to cash in with a sequel the following year, I knew it had puppies in it so I watched, from director Rod Daniel (Teen Wolf, Home Alone 4). Basically Beethoven the St. Bernard dog has settled nicely living with the Newton family, father George (Charles Grodin), mother Alice (Bonnie Hunt) and the children, teenage daughter Ryce (Nicholle Tom), young son Ted (Christopher Castile) and young daughter Emily (Sarah Rose Karr), he is happy but he longs for something more. Then one day walking in the park he meets female St. Bernard dog Missy, whose owners Regina (Batman Forever's Debi Mazar) and Brillo (Kevin Dunn) are trying to settle a divorce, she wants $50,000 and the dog, Beethoven helps Missy to escape Regina and they fall in love. It is later discovered that Missy has given birth to four puppies fathered by Beethoven, the Newton children find them, Regina also finds out but wants to get rid of them, she is told though that she could sell them off for big money, but the children take them before she can get to them, and the three of them hide and take care of the four puppies in the basement. Eventually George and Alice find out about the four St. Bernard puppies, George reluctantly agrees that they can keep and look after them until they are more mature and can be given away, in the meantime the puppies are given names, Chubby, Dolly, Tchaikovsky, and Moe, and George faces anger and frustration of growing dogs, like before with Beethoven. The Newton family are having financial difficulties, but they are able to get away for a short vacation, being allowed to stay for free in a lake front house owned by one of George's business associates, Beethoven and the puppies are taken as well, and as time goes by the family are united more and more. Regina and her boyfriend Floyd (Reservoir Dogs's Chris Penn) are coincidentally staying near to the Newtons' vacation residence, they go to the county fair where George and Beethoven enter and win the burger eating contest, Missy escapes from the car she is in nearby and is reunited with Beethoven. Regina recognises the children and gets her opportunity to steal the four puppies, a chase ensues and takes all characters into the wilderness, Floyd threatens to drop the puppies into the river, George tries to stop the trouble, but Beethoven charges in and sends him and Regina falling off the cliff into a pool of mud, this breaks and they are swept down the river. In the end, five months later, Brillo visits the Newtons after hearing what happened to them, he explains that the judge for the divorce has given him full custody of Missy, Regina gets nothing, Beethoven and she are happy with George, Alice and the children, and the puppies almost grown up look like they are staying as well. Also starring Ashley Hamilton as Taylor Devereaux, Danny Masterson as Seth, Catherine Reitman as Janie and Mousehunt's Maury Chaykin as Cliff Klamath. This film is essentially a rehash of the first film, only with more dogs and a love story between two St. Bernards, the cute puppies will make the younger audience members smile, Grodin and Hunt are indeed amiable, Mazar is very pantomime villain doing her Cruella De Vil act, and the naughty doggy behaviour will get some chuckles, I agree what slows the film down a bit is the sentimentality, but as an all round family film it is reasonably good fun, not a bad comedy. It was nominated the Oscar and Golden Globe for Best Song for Dolly Parton and James Ingram's "The Day I Fall in Love". Worth watching!