Another Stakeout (1993) Poster

51 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Excellent
ryan-george-212 April 2008
Where to start... I genuinely appreciated Rosie O'Donnels performance in this film. Totally believable. The action scenes were epic, and I think influenced a lot of movies that came after it... specifically buddy cop sequels. The jokes were hilarious and the comedic timing was perfect. It was the first time I've seen a storyline like this in a story about cops. So that was very refreshing for me. Richard Dreyfuss and Emelio Estevez... A duo that you wouldn't expect to see on film... But wow... Total chemistry!! Line after line was just gold for me. I highly recommend this movie. I've told all my friends about it and they agree.
20 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Location of "Another Stakeout" in British Columbia
joycehm20043 November 2007
Having just seen "Another Stakeout" for the first time since 1995, I decided to check out the online info about the locations that were used in the movie and, so far, haven't seen any credit given for the island off the BC coast where most of the filming was done. It was filmed on beautiful Bowen Island, a 15 minute ferry trip from Horseshoe Bay, just to the northwest of Vancouver. The initial scenes involving driving off the ferry were done in Snug Cove (they substituted the name 'Bainbridge Island'), and most of the exterior and interior shots were on the south side of the island in an area called Fairweather where, as you saw or will see in the film, the homes are gorgeous and perfectly suited for the plot (however meager you thought it to be). I've seen a number of comments about the filming having been done on an island in Puget Sound. A lot was shot in Seattle, but the majority was on Bowen Island - I should know - I was living there at the time. Just thought I'd set the record straight. (You can see the homes used for filming clearly on Google Earth, if you're interested.)
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another Miserable Retread...
MovieAddict201629 January 2004
"That's it, nobody calls me Ed McMahon!"

• Emilio Estevez saying the funniest line from a rather dry sequel

"Another Stakeout" was six years in the waiting. After the first film, "Stakeout," made a huge splash at the box office in 1987 (the same year another cop-buddy film came out--can you guess which one?), everyone anticipated an unnecessary--but perhaps funny--sequel that would inevitably result after box office earnings were tallied up by film executives in an office somewhere.

Alas, the six years passed, and we got...this mess?

Richard Dreyfuss and Emilio Estevez reprise their roles as stakeout cops who get paired with a new partner in this watered-down sequel. The new partner is played by Rosie O'Donnell, who is so startlingly unfunny in this it almost makes you involuntarily switch off the television as soon as you see her chubby face smiling at you.

The story starts with a bang--literally--as a trial witness being protected by the CIA is unsuccessfully assassinated--and by that I mean: They die, she lives. What a surprise. (This is the type of scene where the villain is able to blow up a house but the witness just happens to be taking a stroll outside as it happens--or something like that--preventing her from dying along with the other agents who were previously protecting her. This type of thing was spoofed greatly in the truly underrated "Last Action Hero." It's not a joke in "Another Stakeout.") Unfortunately for the United States, the trial witness never returns--she runs away and doesn't let anyone know where she is. Afraid she may be in danger, afraid to lose a star witness, and believing that she might try to contact old friends, the gruff chief of police assigns the unlucky trio of Dreyfuss, Estevez and Donnell to watch the her old pals to see if she turns up.

She eventually does, of course, but first we get some painfully unfunny buddy-buddy moments between Dreyfuss and Estevez and O'Donnell. She brings a bunch of clothing and a dog with her. They don't like it. Har-har. This was used a bit better in "Spaceballs," in which Princess Vespa brought along that entire luggage through the desert (remember?). This is just a copy of that scene, minus the punch line.

Estevez also shaves his mustache, which is supposed to be a type of sacred moment and is referenced at least ten times throughout the film (he goes to stroke his mustache, he complains about chopping it off, Dreyfuss complains about it, etc.). But for heaven's sake, he's only been in one film so far--we've only seen the mustache once--so a better thing to do would have been this: make a few more sequels and, when the last entry comes, have him shave it off. By then the audience realizes that his mustache is part of him, and that losing it is like losing part of his soul.

But I'm glad they didn't make any more than one sequel.

One of the things that kept the "Lethal Weapon" franchise going was the fresh ideas, fresh buddies, and fresh scripts. (Great actors never hurt an action comedy, either.) The "Stakeout" franchise--which didn't even last long enough to spawn more than one sequel--tries to copy this formula but isn't sure how. The introduction of Joe Pesci in "Lethal Weapon 2" was great because he thereby became the Third Stooge, whereas O'Donnell's entry into the series is nothing but a humiliating reminder that talk show hosts can't always act in front of a camera and maintain the same type of humor they may (or may not) exhibit on their (awful) TV "talk show." (Which is, by the way, consumed of entirely staged so-called "interviews.")

And whereas Pesci, as Leo Getz, added a type of silly vibe to the "LW" series, O'Donnell just seems like a carbon copy clone of Estevez from the first "Stakeout." Dreyfuss didn't like him at first, and--guess what--they suddenly became best buds. The same thing happens in the sequel, much to the audience's chagrin.

Of course, "Lethal Weapon" and its sequels were never more than a few years apart (the first coming out in 1989, two years after the original). But "Stakeout" had six years to make a respectable sequel, and it fails. It fails the same way that many prolonged sequels do. But, for once, it's not because the audience has forgotten the original film--it's because the audience is fed up with the same routine.

The film was directed by John Badham, which is surprising, since he's a talented director ("Saturday Night Fever," "The Hard Way," "Stakeout"). Here he jumps through all the hoops, turning his own series into a pale retread of the original--only watered down: minus the violence, language, nudity, and humor. I'm not saying a movie has to be R to be funny. But if you've got a sequel to an R-rated movie like "Stakeout" and you decide to turn its sequel into a cutesy-tutesy children's entertainment program, you'd better advise the audience before they sit down expecting something funny and fresh.

What a disappointment.

2/5 stars.

• John Ulmer
13 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Likable Sequel Chooses Comedy Over Action
hammerfan129 April 2007
Director John Badham created a classic in the "buddy action" genre when he directed the original "Stakeout". He blended gritty cop drama with fun action sequences, romance, and humor resulting in a unique and entertaining cinema experience. So what to do in the sequel? Badham wisely chose to make "Another Stakeout" it's own movie and not just a clone of the original. Had he simply remade the first movie the sequel probably would have been successful but soon forgotten about. Instead, the filmmakers go a different route. They downsize the action, grit, and romance while focusing on the humor. The three leads from "Stakeout" (Richard Dreyfus, Emilio Estevez, and Madeline Stowe) all return in this film. But this time around they are joined by funny lady Rosie O'Donnell. Madeline Stowe and the whole relationship storyline from the original take a back seat in this one. Even Estevez' role is trimmed down. This movie belongs entirely to Dreyfus and O'Donnell.

The story here is pretty unimportant, but we will review it briefly. Bad guys are trying to silence an important witness played by Cathy Moriarty. Their plans to kill her fail but she disappears during the attempt. Cops Richard Dreyfus and Emilio Estevez are assigned to find the witness and stop the bad guys. They are joined by Assistand District Attorney Rosie O'Donnell. They take off to the mountains and rent a house in order to spy on Dennis Farina and Marcia Strassman in order to stop the bad guys. That is just about the entire story here. But the thin storyline is simply a premise for Dreyfus and O'Donnell to show off their comedic skills. And they come through in a big way. Everything in the film is built around humor, even the action scenes. For example, an early action sequence involving the chase for a murder suspect ends in tragedy. The suspect is killed by a witness with Dreyfus' gun. During this dramatic moment, Dreyfus looks down at his holster to see that his gun has been replaced by a dead fish. This is not a serious movie. It's a fun one.

In the first movie, Badham's taut direction and thrilling action sequences took center stage. This time, the director let's Dreyfus and O'Donnell, along with some stunning cinematography, guide the film. The result is a non-complicated and fun movie that everyone can enjoy.
12 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another Stakeout deconstructs a genre and reinvigorates modern cinema!
ajbleed17 April 2008
The first time I saw Another Stakeout was on opening night back in 1993. I had just gone through a nasty divorce and was living out of my Saturn. And I was floored by this movie. As the final credits rolled I applauded so loudly and hard that I bruised the bone in my left palm and several movie goers murmured "He must be drunk..." I finally stood up and yelled "You're drunk and stupid if you didn't get this masterpiece." I didn't leave the theater and sat there through three more consecutive showings. And I haven't looked back ever since.

And with the exception of the one time I had a stroke while watching Another Stakeout and wasn't discovered for two days while I stared at a paused image of Dreyfuss and Estevez, I have enjoyed all 428 times I have seen this movie.

This film isn't just funny, action packed and filled with characters we can relate to, it's a world we find ourselves wishing we could live in rather than the dark and nasty one we currently reside in. And though we quote the movie and dress up as characters from it every Halloween the sad truth is that the world doesn't work like Another Stakeout. When you watch someone through a window of their home you don't end up falling in love and there isn't a buddy next to you to crack wise with. The police show up and people yell and cry...

Ordinarily I say "to each his own" when it comes to opinions about movies, but if you don't like AS 2 then you're not worth a cup of feces with a cigarette butt in it.
17 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another Stakeout, Another Hidden Cinematic Gem
Before we get started, a little caveat for the reader: this may not be the easiest film to find. Your standard video rental outlets will be hit or miss, as well as libraries. Your best bet will be an online rental service or a strong and fervent prayer. But if you ask me, it is worth it. You may also be scratching your head at the biographical information above. Why should you care about a 1993 sequel to a forgettable buddy cop flick?

Simple. It is a great film. Not only has it obviously influenced many contemporary films, but it also trumps these films on a variety of levels. Allow me to elaborate…

Prior to Another Stakeout, John Badham made a handful a good films (Wargames, Short Circuit). Shortly thereafter he helmed an unfortunate number of Hollywood films (American Flyers, Point of No Return) that may be considered guilty pleasures at best. He was also called upon by fellow director Peter Jackson to head up the second unit on all three Lord of the Rings films but declined. So what is the point of this little history lesson? Hollywood kills good directors (John Woo and Sam Raimi, prime examples).

But, I digress. Despite the a lackluster couple of decades, John Badham does have a grand if only marginally well known legacy in Another Stakeout. Science fiction and horror fans will recognize and appreciate the premise; Detective Chris Lecce (Richard Dreyfuss) wakes up one day, goes through the motions like any and every other day, and slowly realizes that he is, inexplicably, on another stakeout. The scenario plays out basically as is expected but it is the manner of the presentation and plotting that make it remarkable.

The film ultimately has only three characters, whose dynamic, touches on Alfred Hitchcock and Shakespeare without any pretense. Chris' subtle and deliberate decline into the reality of his new position in the world leads to him swinging from disbelief to depression to mania to megalomania to acceptance and back to disbelief. The storytelling and character interaction allow for empathy without distraction and the science fiction elements are beautifully woven into the fabric of the drama so that the one doesn't overshadow the other.

There are several mysteries involved in the story that are revealed with wonderful precision by the director through a series of well placed flashbacks and the subtlety of mood and movement, but you'll have to find the film and watch it to understand the full glory.

This is not a flashy film. It is however a master stroke. It is unfortunate that this film has all but vanished into obscurity, along with its director but they both still exist and there's always a second wind. Always.
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Such a fine enjoyable movie!
Boba_Fett113821 July 2007
Don't ask me why but when I was younger I would often watch this movie and the first one; "Stakeout". Of those two movies this is the one that has always stayed most in my mind.

Basically this movie is just great entertainment. Like all those type of movies from that period there isn't much to the story and the movie is all about its characters and actors playing them. Compare it to the 'Lethal Weapon' movies, minus all of the action.

This movie does have some fine characters and actors portraying them. Even better is the chemistry they all have. Richard Dreyfuss form Emilio Estevez a great 'buddy' cop duo and Rosie O'Donnell is also a fine addition to the two, basically since she is such a fine comedy actress. It also sort of makes you wonder why Richard Dreyfuss hasn't appeared in more comedy roles. He obviously has the talent and certainly the right timing for it. Guess he better wants to be remembered as a 'serious' actor and who can really blame him for that. The movie further more features Dennis Farina, Miguel Ferrer and Madeleine Stowe.

The movie is filled with some great comedy moments. that mostly, again, work out due to the characters and actors of the movie. The movie has some guaranteed laughs and make this a perfect typical 'no worries' movie. Just sit back and enjoy watching it!

It also shows that John Badham is actually a fine genre director! The timing is great and the pace, editing and positioning all make sure that the comedy in the movie works out even better.

It's too bad that the story just mostly distracts from the movie and its humor. It's just not anything solid, interesting or something that hasn't been done before. But then again, this is all quite typical for the genre and time period it was made in. Basically if you enjoyed one or more of the 'Lethal Weapons' movies, you'll surely enjoy this movie as well.

Guess the movie could had impressed some more by putting in some more and bigger action. The movie now feels quite simple and cheaply made at times, which at times becomes distracting but overall doesn't take away any of the fun of the movie.

Great entertainment!

9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not bad - But could have done without Rosie
liammurphy117 January 2004
This belated sequel to the Box-office hit 'Stakeout' 6 years earlier is not bad - it's lifted by the performances of returning stars Richard Dreyfuss and Emilio Estevez (What happened to him?) But this time round the plot is lame to the extreme and the jokes fall flat time and time again making this movie about as funny as Scary Movie 2, and the casting of Rosie O'Donnell was a big mistake.

Stakeout (1987) U.S BOX OFFICE $65,000,000

This movie just scraped over the $20,000,000 mark and you can see why.

If there's nothing else on TV - I do recommend a watch but don't be surprised if you looking at the OFF switch after the first 30 Minutes

My Rating 7/10
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
LOVED this movie...it is in my all-time top 10 favorites
suzzeQ8 January 2008
Reading others comments on Another Stakeout, I can't believe we watched the same film. It is one of our family's favorite movies. It's not deep or meaningful, but when you talk about sheer comedic genius while at the same time having a well-paced drama, with some of the best performances I've seen from these actors, well, we call this one a winner.

While not quite The Fugitive, it has the same sense of story, suspicion and climax. Yes, the explosion is a bit over-the-top (viewed several times from different angles) but the bad guy is really bad, and the good guys really hilarious. Rosie O'Donnell gives, imho, a FABULOUS performance, and the dog is such a perfect touch! My favorite scene? "No, Archie...not the bunny Archie..." and then her warbled scream...perfection. I think those who said nasty things just don't appreciate some other aspect of her life, as it's certainly not her acting ability.

The cops are wonderful, and the lines so funny you'd swear most of it is ad-lib.

Take my advice if you're in the mood for something dramatic, but funny...this is it. When we get together during those rare times now when our entire family is together, it's the one film we can count on that everyone will like, and we've all seen it at least thirty times.

Not for kids under about 13 without adult supervision, in my opinion.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Emilio's stakeout
kai ringler4 July 2013
first off I thought the movie was very funny , Emilio Estevez once again is very good,, Richard Dreyfus was OK,, I liked Miguel Ferrer's part as the hit-man assigned to the case. Rosie o donell on the other hand I just had to tune out, boy she can really get annoying. Dennis Farina on the other hand was very fun to watch , and had some good one liners to boot.. the plot isn't that bad,, state has to make a case,, the main witness is almost blown to pieces and proceeds to hideout somewhere far away,, but not far enough that our bad guys can't find her without some help.. some of the movie has flaws sure,, but I think mainly that it was made for laughs, and not so much plot points or stuff like that,, if there was a diff leading lady other than Rosie I would have rated it higher for sure.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
OK, Comedy thriller sequel to 'Stakeout' (1987) *** out of *****
Welshfilmfan7 January 2009
I've not seen the original movie so I don't know how this sequel compares in comparison, but on it's own merits, 'Another Stakeout' isn't too bad and actually quite enjoyable, despite Rosie O'Donnell getting on my nerves throughout.

Richard Dreyfuss & Emilio Estevez play DET.Chris Leece & DET.Bill Reimers respectively and are joined by 'comic-relief' Assistant D.A Gina Garrett played by the universally annoying Rosie O'Donnell along with her Rottweiller pet dog as all three are staking out a lakeside home on a remote Island, where a Mafia trial witness is supposed to be going to, so as cover they pretend to be Husband,Wife & son with 'hilarious' results.... The comedy is absolutely dire and does jar with the occasional bouts of violence.

co-starring Dennis Farina & Miguel Ferrer

all in all not a great film by any means but worth watching if you've nothing better to do

*** out of *****
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nice early-90s comedy
jonmagneboe11 November 2005
This movie really surprised me. After reading a bunch of really degrading reviews of this movie, I wasn't expecting much. So when I realized that "Hey, this movie actually has some good points" and that it really is funny, I felt compelled to write a review here to inform others who enjoy these comedies, that this movie really is great.

Spoilers beneath this line.

The movie starts out with a giant explosion, that lasts around one minute. It is exaggerated to the point where it is actually just funny, which I believe is intentional... why else would they use a septic tank truck to blow the house up? Afterwards, an important witness protected by the police is missing from the crime scene (her body doesn't turn up). It is then up to our two friends from Stakeout 1 (Estevez & Dreyfuss) to have a stakeout at a house next to some friends of the missing witness, in case she is hiding there. But they have to have an annoying female partner with them, who does anything to irritate and destroy their mission, although well meaning. As the movie plays out, the only thing that annoys me is that they have removed Richard Dreyfuss' mustache - it really fits with his character from Stakeout 1. They did however remove Emilio Estevez' mustache without it actually making the big difference - he still looked like a kid with it.

If you enjoyed the jokes from Stakeout, and also like comedies of the late 80s and early 90s, then Another Stakeout is just up your alley.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
No energy or fun
bob the moo19 July 2002
When a witness against the Mafia goes missing Chris and Bill are sent to stakeout a place where she may turn up. However this time they're joined by Agent Gina Garrett and her dog. Despite their childish behaviour things will soon turn serious for the cops.

The first film was light, silly, unlikely but quite enjoyable and this one continues in a similar vein – albeit less successfully. The main failing is that the plot is the same as the first one and hence feels less fresh. On top of that we have cliché on top of cliché to add to the stale feel. The film is so desperate to repeat the first one that we even get Stowe roped back in on the side. The jokes are pretty tired and the action is quite tame overall the end result is not terrible but mediocre.

Dreyfuss and Estevez had good fun in the first film but here they look like they're collecting the cheque. They are still OK but you can see they're going through the motions a bit. O'Donnell should be sentenced to daytime TV forever – how can one person be so very brash and annoying? She sucks any lightness out of this film and is really irritating. Farina is good as is Moriarty (but it's a long cry from Raging Bull isn't it?), Ferrer turns in yet another bad guy role and is always value.

Overall this is barely entertaining. It doesn't feel fresh and this cheapens it – the fact that the comedy is weak and that O'Donnell is like a curse from Hell makes it even worse. Stick with the first film – it's not a masterpiece but at least it's got energy.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Emelio Estevez' best work
sheptamler20 April 2008
What a hidden treasure this movie is! Quite possibly the best sequel ever, though that MIGHT be a toss-up with Godfather 2.

Richard Dreyfus is always a solid actor, but his work here really deserved an Oscar.

Emelio Estevez might be best known for being Charlie Sheen's sane brother, but check out this movie and you'll be a life long Estevez fan, like I am.

Of course, it goes without saying that this is the movie that made Rosie O'Donnell. Before this film, she was just a bit player. A stand-up comedienne. But this is where she made her mark. Even Donald Trump would agree that she's genius in this near-masterpiece of a movie.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
why its my favourite comedy
Grant Quinn26 January 2001
Another Stakeout is a fantastic movie. It's funny and the acting is quite good. Richard Dreyfuss and Emilio Estevez were great together-acting like partners. The house exploding at the beginning was more funny than realistic, it was so long that you could just about go and get a drink and still be back before the end of it. I have seen this film so many times and it is still hilarious every time. It is definitely worth watching on the telly or even hiring it from the video shop. The banter between Dreyfuss and Estevez makes the movie what it is, in other words brilliant. Look out for the conversation about Ren and Stimpy, the bit when Dreyfuss deliberately falls over and says to someone "Frank don't go, you can stay and help me eat", it is so funny. If you haven't seen this film it's you who's lost out. 10/10.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
How Can Great Actors Accept Such Poor Roles?
Ices-36 August 2008
This movie was so bad! Even fast forwarding I couldn't get through it fast enough, in 15 minute segments. HELP! The first Stakeout was fair at best, at least I watched it all the way through, but still a waste of time.

An academy award winner like Richard Dreyfuss (Goodbye Girl), and a superb actor Emilio Estevez (The Breakfast Club & Judgment Night), and Rosie O'Donnell (who knows, who cares), trying to be funny, didn't work.

However for the two male greats, this movie was so below them, why did they do it? Yes, it's probably hard to really know what a movie will be like before doing it, but once was enough with this movie. It was just another flopped squeal. Smart Actors like Richard Dreyfuss, and Emilio Estevez should have known better.

Now they have to live with this one on their resumes'. Oh well glad it's not mine.

Don't waste your time, get out Close Encounters, or Judgment Night, if you are looking for real entertainment.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A great comedy follow-up!
mr_marchington20 August 2006
This film is not as bad as everyone seems to make out! Granted, you do have to look past certain elements, i.e. Rosie O'Donnell (the movie-killer) and the lack of a hugely complex story-line. But after watching the first film you should know that that is not exactly what you're going to get.

What you do know you're going to get however is a performance by one of the most under-rated double-acts in cinema history. Dreyfuss & Estevez deliver solid gold comedy throughout with impeccable timing, (it really is faultless!). There are so many one-liners and brilliant comedy scenes in this film not only provided by the dynamic duo, but casting Dennis Farina was also a master-stroke.

I love the way that Badham in both films, manages to inter-weave the comedy with what looks from the outset to be a serious action drama.

As comedy-lovers we have to look past the weaker parts of the film and concentrate on the fact that the comedy aspect of this film is brilliant if not slightly under-used!
Not As Bad As They Make It Out To Be
WOLVERINE25th4 April 2006
This movie was a nice follow-up to the classic Stakeout. Many reviewers seem to feel it's a typical sequel that doesn't live up to the predecessor. Yes, I'll admit, there were a couple of off moments, but overall the film is just as good as the original. The jokes and the banter are still funny and the situations they get in are hilarious. Probably the best indication of that is the opening chase after the story set-up. A lot of people also seem to say the premise of the movie is also a rehash of the first. It's a movie about a STAKEOUT. They don't get that much variation. You set up somewhere, you observe, you make the collar. The only thing that changes are the names and locations. Although these movies are a lot more fun that REAL stakeouts, they certainly keep the feeling.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dreyfuss and Estevez still have charm, but it can't save the movie.
Son_of_Mansfield13 April 2005
Richard Dreyfuss and Emilio Estevez retain their chemistry from Stakeout, but the script and casting sink this formula sequel. Rosie O' Donnell can't act well. Somehow Madonna and her made it work in A League of Their Own, but almost nothing else either has done is worth watching. She drags this movie down. The script relies too much on the dog and the unhappy triumvirate. The subplot of Maria and Chris getting married falls flat, because we know they will. Madeleine Stowe, Miguel Ferrer(Robocop), Dennis Farina(Out of Sight, Manhunter), Cathy Moriarty(Raging Bull), and Marcia Strassman(Honey, I Shrunk the Kids) are all wasted with only bad writing to comfort them. This movie might catch your attention when it plays and nothing else is on, but the original has everything good this has and a little more.
Stakeout another movie
Julie Buse9 April 2005
"Another Stakeout" is a good funny movie to watch. If you like the movie "Stakeout". You will like this movie. The combination of Richard Dreyfuss and Emilio Estevez from "Stakeout" is back. Richard Dreyfuss, Emilio Estevez, and Rosie O'Donnell do make it work and makes this movie hilarious. Dennis Farina and Marcia Strassman do a great job as the O'Haras. You will get plenty of laughs from this movie. Using the setting of the Seattle area was great. I am from the area. And the country side is beautiful. A lot of movies are being over here. Becomes of the variety of different country side. One will not regret watching this movie.
It is a stupid movie
emanalac16 January 2004
I am appalled by the dumb level of the movie and it is disappointing to see Richard Dreyfuss and Emilio Esteves waste their talents. Gina O Donell (I don't even know the correct spelling of her name) is a horrible actress to play in it. No harmony among the actors that makes it funny with the jokes. I gave the movie the benefit of the doubt at the beginning thinking it will smarten itself up but was very disappointed. Gina's voice is very irritating with all the whining.
Funny and suspensful!
lillygirl9021 July 2002
Well worth seeing, i think that it's a great action film with a bunch of laughs. Rosie O'Donnell is fantastic and Emelio Estevaz is hilarious! Richard Dreyfuss gives you a "risen hair on the back of the neck" feeling as he fights bad-guys to solve a crime.
No moustaches
Shawn Watson18 April 1999
I watched the original Stakeout many times when I was 12 years old. I was 13 by the time the sequel hit the cinemas. I saw it at the now demolished UCI Cinema at Kinnaird Park in early 1994. The fact that it was a PG compared to the R-rated original didn't bother me (I wouldn't have been able to see it otherwise).

Chris and Bill are back, joined by then-closeted Rosie O'Donnell and her big dog. A mob witness may or may not visit old friends for protection on the beautiful Pacific-Northwestern Bainbridge Island. Our heroes are in the house opposite and their sit-and-wait chore is all the more difficult by their new third-wheel partner. The chemistry between Dreyfuss and Estevez is still perfect, and you really get the sense that these guys work together very well. Shame they don't have a lot to do.

The only big fault with Another Stakeout is that all of the action happens at the very beginning and very end, leaving a massive chunk in the middle for bumbling and low-brow amusement. It works, but it feels very underwhelming when compared to the original. For a belated, throw-away sequel it has a surprising amount of continuity with the first film, normally you don't get that. Stylistically however, this is completely different. Where Stakeout was dark, gritty, and rugged Another Stakeout is glossy with high-key anamorphic Panavision photography. Since the rating was lowered I guess it made sense to change the look of the film.

Another Stakeout languishes in a weird gray area. It's more than above average, but never really achieves any kind of greatness, and for that reason I have to rate it lower than the first.

Touchstone licensed the rights for the film to Mill Creek for release on Blu Ray and it's a big step-up from the DVD in terms of AV quality, this time presenting it in the correct 2.35:1 aspect ratio in lovely 1080p. The end credits claim the film was merely in 'Dolby Stereo in Selected Theatres' and the DTS HD-MA 2.0 soundtrack works just fine. There are no extras whatsoever, and the production design of the Blu Ray and the package is really quite poor. But what do you expect for a budget title? At least it doesn't come in a horrible eco-case.
A misfired sequel
soranno23 October 2002
Back in 1987, Richard Dreyfuss and Emilio Estevez made a film together called "Stakeout" and their chemistry in that hit action/comedy/thriller was fresh and original. Six years later, they reunite for this inevitable sequel that winds up being tiring. Focusing too much on needless slapstick and not generating nearly the amount of energy that the original film did, the best thing to do with this sequel would be to skip it.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Thrill Is Gone
wes-connors16 June 2013
Six years after the first "Stakeout" (1987), cameras catch detectives Richard Dreyfuss (as Chris Lecce) and Emilio Estevez (as Bill Reimers) on another mission. It's nowhere near as good as the first. The format is similar. We begin with an action-packed opening. In Las Vegas, mobsters want to kill Cathy Moriarty (as Luella "Lu" Delano) because she's going to testify against them. This leads to the explosion of what appears to be a small town. Police search the rubble, but can't find Ms. Moriarty...

They think the missing woman is going to contact a couple - Dennis Farina and Marcia Strassman (as Brian and Pam O'Hara) - so Mr. Dreyfuss and Mr. Estevez are recruited to pose as neighbors...

Madeline Stowe (as Maria), from the first film, appears only sporadically and her chemistry with Dreyfuss is gone. The crime and criminals being investigated are confusing. To make the ruse more realistic, assistant district attorney Rosie O'Donnell (as Gina Garrett) is added to the mix. Accompanied by her rottweiler "Archie", Ms. O'Donnell pretends to be Dreyfuss' second wife and Estevez' step-mother. It's a funny situation, providing this sequel with a little freshness. Otherwise, the story is stale.

***** Another Stakeout (7/23/93) John Badham ~ Richard Dreyfuss, Emilio Estevez, Rosie O'Donnell, Dennis Farina
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this