American Ninja 5 (1993) Poster

Acceptable family-friendly ninja fare
Leofwine_draca15 May 2016
Funnily enough, the first American NINJA movie I've watched is the fifth instalment and last of the series. I have no idea what it has to do with the other movies in this franchise, although judging by other user comments on here, it's not a lot.

This is a straightforward, family friendly martial arts adventure film with added ninja action. I notice that it's a widely panned movie, but I find that somewhat odd given that there's nothing particularly wrong with it. Sure, it's cheap, and there are some laughable moments in it, but that's par for the course for this particular genre of film.

I tend to enjoy action B-pictures from the 1990s because they have a certain fluidity of approach, combined with a refreshing simplicity that makes them easy to watch. American NINJA 5 is no exception. The viewer can simply sit back and watch as the protagonist and his annoying child sidekick go around and fight off various ninja attacks, gradually working their way up to the final boss.

The action choreography is acceptable rather than striking, but there's a wealth of random ninja attacks to enjoy. David Bradley, who previously appeared in the last two films in the series, is an adequate leading man, pretty wooden in the acting stakes but good in his fights. There's a supporting role from Pat Morita, and a cheesy bad guy turn from the ever-entertaining Clement von Franckenstein (GABRIEL KNIGHT 2: THE BEAST WITHIN). You could do worse.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Mindless action movie
michaeljhuman2 November 2015
Its obvious these movies are only enjoyable for what they are. You have to go into these movies knowing they are low budget, weak plotted movies with weak dialog

The movie has action, and fighting scenes. And a cute girl. And an annoying kid. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Mainly for the cute girl, and mindless action. I have seen far worse martial arts movies.

There's some hilariously bad scenes. The villain is just damn funny, for example. Enjoy it for what it is, or if you can't don't watch it. It's funny how bad this is rated, when you consider the plot is no stupider than Bloodsport. Admittedly the fighting is not as good, but it's funnier. I also love all the differently colored "ninjas". Like there's special ninja types determined by the uniforms
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Now you shall taste my poison!"
utgard147 August 2015
Garbage martial arts movie that has nothing to do with the previous four American Ninja films, despite the title. This was originally called American Dragons but Cannon changed the name to reap whatever limited rewards they could from having it associated with the American Ninja series. Note David Bradley's character name is different from his previous appearances in the series. The plot to this stinker has "American Ninja" Joe (David Bradley) teaming up with Hiro (Lee Reyes, brother of Ernie Jr.), a young man whose granduncle (Pat Morita) wants him to learn to be a ninja. The two must rescue a girl from a ponytailed villain called Viper. Stupid stuff. Lacks any of the cheesy appeal of the American Ninja movies that starred Michael Dudikoff. Not even Mr. Miyagi can save this one. Good for some mockery I suppose.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good
Harriet Deltubbo23 August 2014
When a scientist's daughter is kidnapped, American Ninja (David Bradley), attempts to find her, but this time he teams up with a youngster he has trained in the ways of the ninja. The characters in this film have a lot of depth, and that makes all the difference. In the end, the audience gets a casserole of film elements and little of the satisfaction that comes from watching these types of movies. The film is dark, brooding, intense and most of all violent. It's meant to be goofy, then there are fisticuffs back and forth with those who claim to work for justice. That said, the main plot of the film was constantly being interrupted!
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"If you're gonna hit me, hit me hard" Pretty bad in-name sequel. Think of it as Power Rangers, only with Ninjas, and without the entertainment value
callanvass6 October 2013
This movie has no connections with any of the previous four American Ninja movies. David Bradley plays a new character here. As bad as this sequel is, it's not even the worst sequel in the series. That dubious honor goes to American Ninja IV. Everything is just shoddily thrown together here, but what do you expect with something that is done by the now obsolete production company, Cannon? Everything just screams cheap here, from the tacky villains, the setting, it's all truly terrible. James Lew (The main henchman for the big villain Clement Von Franckenstein ) looked like a Power Ranger villain, with his ridiculous red & black silk cape, and a pendant hanging around his neck, and retractable spikes coming out of his hand like Wolverine. It was extremely cartoonish. He also conjures up ninjas out of nowhere to fight David Bradley. Sound familiar? The fight scenes themselves are rather bland. David Bradley is obviously a skilled martial artist, but there is nothing out of the ordinary, move wise with him. He's also an extremely wooden actor, despite a little bit of natural charisma. He's more in the Chuck Norris School of acting in my opinion. Adding a kid in this movie, was a terrible choice. Lee Reyes (Hiro the kid) was a complete and utter nuisance. He is given far too much screen time, and never shuts up. He seems to be skilled in martial arts, and knows how to cry on cue. That's about the only compliments I can give him. Anne DuPont (Lisa) couldn't act her way out of a paper bag as the love interest. Stars like Norman Burton & Pat Morita look embarrassed to be here. Morita's role is a glorified cameo, and it's weird to see him speak almost perfect English. The film shoddily tries to add emotional impact by revealing family issues at the end to fuel the good guys, but it failed miserably.

Final Thoughts: This is a bad movie. I cannot recommend this to anybody, but at least it's not as bad as American Ninja IV. This movie is obscure for a reason, despite a DVD release. Don't waste any money on it!

1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Made for TV
lucasj007-478-44626221 July 2013
This movie has a PG-13 rating in America. Why? I don't know...

It should have been just PG for it's time and not the rating is TV-14. You can show this movie on any of the local stations without editing.

Of course it would be late night. I had no problems letting my kids watch this show. In fact it has less violence than today's cop shows and less adult situations than some stupid comedy on evening TV.

In fact I think the movie is up there with the Ninja Turtles. However, Ninja Turtles had better acting.

Yes you can watch this if there is nothing else on TV. However, I would rather take a nap.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Ba-Zinnngggg!!!!
ravesandmovies17 November 2012
I bought this movie for me and my daughter to watch and what can i say, this movie was funny, action packed, and full of really clever zingers which had me laughing non stop. American Ninja V is an instant classic that I had hoped would go down in history as one of the great action-comedies. The expertly choreographed fight scenes keep your heart pumping and your mind at all times completely at a loss for who is fighting who and why. This unique style is both ground breaking and a pleasure to watch. The dialogue is very witty and surprisingly full of rich subtext. For example, when the male and female leads are escaping from an army of ninjas, the female comically remarks, "Ladies first!" (Ba-Zing!). This seemingly one-dimensional and inane one liner actually reveals the film's deeper message of female empowerment and social equality. Another example of this emotionally layered narrative is the small Asian child's swift transformation into a fat white man during the stellar chase sequences. I recommend American Ninja V to everyone I meet. It is one of the classics that redefined the way I watch films.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Patience-testing exercise.
Comeuppance Reviews6 January 2012
Did you know there is an American Ninja FIVE? Apparently there is, even though it was meant to be something called American Dragons and perhaps they didn't want to confuse it with the other, better movie of the same name.

In this anti-climactic ending to the American Ninja franchise, David Bradley plays Joe Kastle (not Armstrong as in prior A.N. films), a guy who lives on a boat and likes to work out. One day, Master Tetsu (Morita) pawns off his "grand-nephew" Hiro (Reyes) on Joe and leaves to go to Greece for a vacation. While Joe is learning to cope with babysitting this annoying brat, it turns out that his new girlfriend Lisa (Dupont) is kidnapped by the evil Viper (Lew) and his gang of ninjas. Viper works for the nefarious Glock (von Franckenstein), a man who is using scientists to develop an insecticide named ZB-12. Lisa's father is a scientist but refuses to work on the potentially dangerous project. So Joe and Hiro must go through a bunch of travails in Venezuela to rescue Lisa who is kidnapped there. Along the way, Joe and Hiro forge a friendship based on the ways of the ninja.

Rather than be loyal to the fans that have followed the series through the years, Cannon pawns this juvenile, watered-down, PG-13 rated dreck on the audience like Pat Morita does his bratty relative onto David Bradley in this patience-testing exercise.

Bradley is likable enough and he looks like a young Craig Ferguson, although he is your classic action movie dumb-dumb. His young foil is another matter. Hiro is a precocious 12 year old whose presence in this movie is not needed. He says "whoa!" while Bradley fights the baddies, who are purple, green, and white ninjas, as if this was a video game. Speaking of which, Hiro's Game Gear plays a surprisingly big role in this film. Hiro has a matching Miami Dolphins baseball cap/coat and, sadly, brings this movie into the current "ADD generation".

The movie as a whole could have been better, even if it was aiming more for the family market, but this Hiro kid gets on your nerves. Plus the whole daughter/scientist father aspect was already done in American Ninja 2 (1987). Couldn't they come up with something new? It's director Leonard's only movie to date and you think he would be familiar with past entries in the series, but maybe he never watched them. That's certainly what it seems like; he didn't try to impress with his knowledge of past A.N.'s, that's for sure...which seems odd. Having American Ninja 5 be the only movie on your resume is indeed a bizarre way to enter movie history. The whole Karate Kid aspect of the film is even further enhanced by the presence of Pat Morita. Did any kid ever see this movie...ever? The baddies are more interesting, as Glock strongly resembles Bernie Madoff and James Lew's entrances and exits are by far the best part of this movie. It's here that this film becomes utterly absurd. They should have gone in that direction more, if you see the movie you'll know what we mean.

The jaunty flute music enhances the mild nature of the proceedings, and it's unfortunate that the mighty American Ninja franchise fell victim to the old sitcom trick of "Addakid", that is, when all the sitcom kids grow up and aren't cute anymore, to simply add a newer, younger, cuter kid regardless of whether it makes sense plotwise. It's an ignominious way for this beloved series to go.

Even though this movie came out in 1993, it looks and seems older, but maybe that's because it's pretty lame and impotent, not to mention way overlong.

You'd have to be a die-hard fan of the American Ninja films or any of the actors involved to sit through this insult to people who followed the original four films in this series.

For more insanity, please visit: comeuppancereviews.com
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Stupid, stupid, stupid, but funny.
Anders Twetman1 December 2011
I've been seeing lots of movies on the bottom 100 list lately and they have been getting steadily worse, the last one, Th underground comedy movie was just horrible. American Ninja 5 though, is far too good for that list. Sure, the dialog is stupid, the plot is stupid, the action is lame, and he actors can't act but it's fun. You really have to see this as a comedy (a much funnier one than many of the actual comedies on the list) which is made abundantly clear by he use of light hearted music in all the action scenes. I would like to give this film a higher score than 3 out of 10 but I can't ignore the fact that it is a bad film, in pretty much every way. American Ninja 5 is in essence a "so bad it's good" movie but doesn't quite get there.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's terrible...but there are other martial arts films that manage to be worse!
MartinHafer31 October 2011
While this film isn't part of the actual 'American Ninja' cannon since it has nothing to do with the previous four films in the supposed series, I really didn't care. After all, NONE of these film have decent ratings (the highest current on has a score of 4.8) and they are all apparently sub-par. However, the most incredibly sub-par of them all is this film, "American Ninja V", which has the distinction of being so universally hated that it made the IMDb Bottom 100 list--and that is why I chose to watch it. You see, I occasionally like a really bad film--it gives you a good laugh at the filmmakers' expense! This film has one cliché that makes it hard to like. No, it's not ninjas--it's insufferable kids who come along to help the hero. Not only is this kid an annoying brat, but he also is a bad actor...like most of the folks in the film. This is a problem, as most folks coming to see the film probably ended up rooting for him to get killed! A modern ninja (David Bradley) is asked to watch some brat (Hiro--Lee Reyes). Almost immediately, they get sucked into an international conspiracy involving a crazed general, weapons of mass destruction, purple ninjas and some cartoon-like baddie in a black and red outfit with a cape! They end up in Venezuela (which might well explain the current state of poor relations between this country and the US) and get their butts kicked. Then, the mysterious Mr. Miyagi (Pat Morita--and yes, I know he is not really playing Miyagi here) shows up an announces that the talentless kid is really the son of a great ninja master and that he has powers that have not yet been tapped--secret ninja training his dead father taught him when he was very, very young(???). And, there is a short montage with Bradley and Reyes training and BAM, the kid is a super-ninja! Well, at least that's what they want us to believe--neither appear particularly skilled in martial arts. And the two of them go on a rampage to rescue the girl (there always is one) and save the planet.

This film has neither element needed in a good martial arts film. The story and acting are dumb. And, the martial arts action is lousy. In fact, I could easily see Asians watching this and becoming angry that the US could produce a film with absolutely no one with good martial arts skills. Well, perhaps not--as I have seen a lot of martial arts films and bad martial arts films are unfortunately relatively common. And this brings me to a problem with ranking this bad film among the horrid Bottom 100 list. The Asians have made a lot of martial arts films and have produced a few that are FAR WORSE than this film. For every Sonny Chiba or Bruce Lee film, there are others that simply are terrible. My favorite of these horrid films featured guys using 3 foot tongues to fight AND they had gorillas (guys in cheap gorilla suits) who also did wretched kung fu! So, no matter how stupid "American Ninja V" is, it isn't even close to the worst the Far East has to offer. The big difference is that "American Ninja V" has a much wider audience and therefore is easier to notice and hate! For the life of me, I sure wish I could remember the name of the film with kung fu gorillas and the guys with the huge tongues--I'd love to see it again! I remember how the punches and kicks often weren't even within a foot of the intended victim! It made "American Ninja V" look like "Gone With the Wind" in comparison!! If you can place the title, drop me a line. I am SURE it's a real film and I am not hallucinating about it! Cartoon-like villains and special effects
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
why all the hate?
disdressed129 April 2010
so this movie isn't actually a part of the American Ninja series.so the people behind this movie are guilty of capitalizing on the name of and popularity of the American Ninja brand.so what.they're not the first.if you can look beyond that,there's actually a pretty good little movie here.it's rated PG, so it's fairly family friendly.i thought the fight scenes were actually pretty good.the acting was also decent enough.the story is a familiar one.there a bit of the Karate Kid thrown in the mix,and i think based based on what i've read,there may be elements of The 3 Ninjas movies in there as well,but don't quote me on that last one.if you can view this as a stand alone movie, you might like it.i did.and i really liked it,and i don't have any problem admitting it.for me,American Ninja V is an 8/10
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A lame way to end the series
Wizard-827 October 2009
Readers of my user comments will see that I reviewed the first four "American Ninja" movies years ago, but I only got around to reviewing the last entry just now. Hope it was worth the wait. Speaking of waiting, it wasn't worth the wait for me to track down and watch a copy of this movie.

The action, the main attraction of a movie like this, is very lame. There is only one real martial arts battle in the first 30 minutes of the movie. When the action does start coming, there is nothing exciting or special about the martial arts sequences. The movie is also not very well made. There are signs that footage is missing from the movie - either it was lost or never filmed, leaving to some question marks such as how Bradley's character severs the chain on his handcuffs. But even if the missing footage was here, the movie would still suffer from a badly written screenplay - there's barely a plot here, and it crawls at a snail's pace, with plenty of scenes seemingly only there to pad out the running time.

I suppose Bradley gives one of his better performances, though he's still not a very compelling actor. And it's always good to see Pat Morita, though he only gets three short scenes. But even with that stuff, the movie will still have even dedicated martial arts movie fans squirming in their seats.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best Family Movie Ever Made
Reggie Cloutier9 February 2009
Remember how awesome the 90's were? This movie encapsulates the 90's completely in an all out ninja assault. What can I say about this cinematic masterpiece? The way David Bradley swiftly knock out any ninja without even being hit once shows that he is truly a master of martial arts to be rivaled by none. And the bond forged between his character Joe Kastle and his tiny sidekick companion Hiro is breathtaking and emotional. Each character uses their own abilities separately at the start of the movie to help each other out but then bond as one ninja super force when Joe teaches Hiro the way of the ninja in under a day. Forget Joe Armstrong and Sean Davidson! They have nothing to do with this movie because David Bradley uses his amazing skills as a thespian to switch between roles in a series where hes already played as a prominent character. Joe Kastle is the best thing to happen to this series, if you don't own this movie you'll get cancer and die in your own feces.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nice if you like David Bradley, but the worst of the 5
Ninja-Bandit4 January 2009
First time watching it I was greatly disappointed as I was expecting something like AN 3. Its the worst of the 5 mainly because of the kid. That kid with little ninja experience could beat other adult ninjas with ease, come on! Perhaps it was made for 10-11 year old kids. Didn't like the cheap jokes either. This is a low budged B-movie, but I think it didn't require much to be become a good movie, like the first 4. The quality of acting and sites are good, action wise not bad, but its those childish jokes that makes it the worst. If they made it more serious without those dumb jokes and more realistic more heroic, those 10-11 year old kids would like it even more. There is much less violence in this movie than in first four, which is fine. Still better than nothing, enjoyed Bradley acting and another ninja movie. Actually I would take more like these if it were possible.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
There is no bad movies only wrong audience
kurciasbezdalas2 August 2008
OK i agree that this movie is the worst of the series. It looses almost all American Ninja traditions and has a really cheep plot. It have turned from the action movie in to a family comedy and that is probably the worst thing about it. But i must admit it still was quite enjoyable to watch. It was funny and there still was a lot of ninja action and one or few chasing scenes. The actors did a great job. All the fans of the first four American ninja parts may be disappointed this time. It's a very different film. I think it was made more for a younger audience. So maybe American Ninja fans would't like this one but it should be enjoyable for a different audience.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awful
sarajevo_072 January 2008
Damn IF YOU EVER SEE THIS MOVIE FOR SALE FOR LIKE A DOLLAR, DON'T EVEN BREATH ON IT...

This whole movie is about some scientist who is going to create something this world never seen before...I believe we already saw that in American ninja 2 and 3, he doesn't obey and his daughter is now being kidnapped which happens to be David Bradleys girlfriend WHAT A SMALL WORLD WE LIVE IN!

And what's even more funny David Bradley character in this movie is called JOE...what a???

Joe??? Isn't that name from Michael Dudikoffs character in American Ninja 1, 2 and 4. Damn couldn't they come up with another name or at least keep his own name from American Ninja 3 and 4 (Sean Davidson) ...what a hell happened with him?

So now "Joe" has to rescue his girlfriend and a little kid comes along who can't stop whining and who is not afraid of weapons and the whole situation.

And this kid later becomes "JOE'S" little brother somehow I don't know.

you see this kid beat up 3 buff guys at once and he himself never gets beat up...BUT THAT'S Alright I GUESS CUZ HE'S STILL A KID AFTER ALL.

then when they're on a plane trying to escape the evil you see this kid sit down calm and fly this plane...yes this kid is ACTUALLY FLYING A PLANE HE CAN DO ANYTHING HE PUTS HIS MIND TO. having fun as he flies it...what a joke...who does he think he is CJ from San Andreas?

and the ninjas are much more stupid they deserve Oscars...they fly 10 feet up in the air of one punch...and waste all their bullets as they miss "JOE" the little kid and his girlfriend.

real bad acting I don't know what they were thinking when they made this movie...letting the kid look up the American embassy to come and rescue them all...yes what does a little kid know about that...and this kid is so smart he even knows the way to the embassy knowing he is on the other side of the globe.

"JOE" and this kid beat up everybody that comes in their way and the funny thing is they not even bothered about the whole situation they beat up these ninjas like it was a joke. It's completely a rip-off Ninja Kids. And what was the old man from karate kid doing in this movie...I'm not even gonna leave a comment on that.

SO EVERYBODY OUT THERE IF YOU'RE A FAN OF American NINJA DON'T SEE THIS MOVIE, STOP WATCHING AFTER THE 3RD ONE CUZ THIS MOVIE IS AWFUL...

0,5 OUT OF 10
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Atrocious finale...
Frank Markland16 August 2007
David Bradley returns for the (thankfully) final time (Probably because Dudikoff wanted no part of this downward spiral of a series) to train a new pupil (The irritating Lee Reyes) in Ninjitsu and defeat the viscous Viper (James Lew) in this inept and utterly awful sequel. American Ninja V offers somehow less than what you would expect and martial arts fans such as I don't expect anything but lots of action. (Indeed I gave the first two AN flicks pretty good ratings all things considered.) However where as I knew American Ninja 4 existed (Prior to when I picked it up on DVD for a whopping 2 dollars!) back in the day, I had never heard of this particular chapter. 90 minutes later I still wish I hadn't. David Bradley is of course a dull actor and he isn't helped by a lame script or for that matter an irritating kid who's whining never stops. Indeed this feels more like a rip off of 3 Ninjas than an American Ninja sequel. American Ninja 5 is of course brain dead but also lacks the simple structure that a stupid martial arts movie should have. So I for one was completely bored by the lame action sequences and horrid story that took up the time. Pat Morita shows up in a cameo but let's face it his career jumped the shark after the Karate Kid films. The worst movie of the series and i'm a fan of the first two.

1/2* out of 4-(Awful)
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
OK, but not very nice!
weiland_496 April 2007
Take it for what it is... The movie has got bad writing and semi bad acting.. However if you manage to overlook these faults it might be OK. If you take it for what it is it might be an entertaining action flick.... I think the lead actor is pretty decent, but overlooking his work judged by IMDb, one can't be impressed. If you see it for what it is, it is a mindless no thinking action movie. It is the perfect movie for a hangover. A plus for the movie is seeing the legendary Pat Morita, even though only for a small part, but it is nice to see the old martial arts expert on film again.. the setting of the movie is really nice, it takes place in the Caribbean or something. It is always nice to see views like those.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Oh no!
sveknu24 June 2006
I can live with David Bradley being a bad actor and all, but when just everything else is just as terrible as his acting, it starts to get real ugly. American Ninja V is a great example of how some people just don't know when to stop. After the third movie, this series has been nothing more than a piece of crap. This last movie is the worst of them all. The action scenes (fight scenes, mainly) are very bad. The story is childish, stupid and totally uninteresting. I almost fell asleep several times during the movie, and even the action didn't make it any better. What is Pat Morita doing in this disaster? I guess his quality control was out of function the day he signed up for this one.
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
* Out Of Five
bronsonskull7216 March 2006
The original plot is scrapped for a tedious yarn involving David Bradley taking some youth prodigy under his wing, and teaching him the ways of the ninja while saving a scientist's daughter from Viper (James Lew) and his band of ninjas in this belated and worthless sequel. The main problem is of course that Michael Dudikoff and Steve James are nowhere to be found. (This was the appeal outside of the action scenes in 1 and 2) instead we have the charisma-free Bradley who stumbles through a series of lame one-sided fight scenes with the same expression on his face. The action scenes themselves are lame and even the David Bradley VS James Lew action scene, which I for one was looking forward to, comes off as utterly incompetent. Worst of all though, is that there's a whiny kid and that alone makes this deplorable. If you really want to see a white guy ninja movie, stick with American Ninja 2-the best of the series.

1/5 Matt Bronson Review brought to you courtesy of Spike TV and their midnight airing.
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
They took the name and an actor, but that's it.
I hate this movie. It has absolutely nothing to do with any of the other American Ninja movies. It still has the mindless, bumbling ninjas that attack the star in usually poorly choreographed fight scenes, except now everything has been toned down for PG-13, smarmy, Kodak moment/comedic schtick.

David Bradley should be ashamed of himself. He is not cast as "Joe Armstrong" of the other movies, but as "Joe Kastle." An entirely new character that had nothing to do with any of the other movies. Not as "Sean Davidson," his previously dopey character. Did the writers think that we wouldn't notice this?

Most of the young Reyes kid's stunts are done by a big fat white guy stuntman. The reason I know this is because the camera makes it painfully obvious every time. The dialogue is corny, and David Bradley's comedic lines are absolutely wretched. The plot almost exactly mirrors part 2's plot: Mean rich guy with an accent that deals with other evil rich guys with accents has a "brilliant" scientist (with an accent) working for him to make some super chemical that will allow him to rule the world. Scientist with accent cannot quit or runaway because mean rich boss with accent has kidnapped his daughter (who does NOT have an accent.) American Ninja gets wrapped up in this fiasco by incredible luck and circumstances.

The "Super Ninja" of this movie is a vampire looking guy (James Lew) that farts everytime he appears or disappears. Pat Morita rounds out the cast in three scenes where his presence is entirely useless to the plot.

Most importantly, this movie suffers the most from one very large flaw, just like part 3: Micheal Dudikoff's entirely unemotive acting and hilarious fight sequences are not present. Thank Goodness he had the smarts to end it with part 4.
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Horrible, horrible and more horrible.
marcusoja9 March 2003
This is probably one of the worst movies I have ever seen. The plot isn't more ridiculous than many other b-action movies, what makes this movie worse than all others are the pitiful acting from actors whom never should have been allowed to enter a set. These actors actually make soap opera actors seem like academy award winners. As if this wasn't enough you have to see the worst "karate" scens ever shot. The only thing they ever hit is air. All this is captured on what seems to be a hand camera.

Whatever you do DON'T watch this movie... try doing something more fun and less painfull during these 1.5 hours, like ripping of your pubic hair with a pair of tweezers.

(1 / 10)
13 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What a load of crap!
Hprog7 February 2003
Many years ago I saw parts 1 and 2 of the series and they were average action movies without great plots going on, ok but they were fun to see. Out of casuality, I was looking for info on the sequels here and read the terrible comments on this one, and out of casuality again, they showed it on local tv a few days ago. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING in this movie is good except for the landscapes of my country, which made me wonder how much did they spend travelling here to film such a piece of garbage. Terrible acting, laughable absurd fighting, predictable crappy plot, and it doesn't connect to the series at all. Oh boy, if any of you is reading this whithout having seen the movie, please don't see it EVER.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Broken bottles at the bottom of a freefall.
Staack11730 October 2001
The American Ninja series was a screaming roller coaster, starting high and rocketing straight down into darkness. And just when you think you've hit rock bottom, someone puts dog poo down there to further insult the series. This is an abomination, even compared to American Ninja 4 and 3. Is it trying to be a kids movie, akin to the MUCH better Surf Ninjas or TMNT? Is it trying to be an action packed movie, featuring a good stunt actor James Lew? Is this the triumphant return of Pat Morita? I don't know, and I bet the crew didn't either. This is an embarrassment to ALL involved with horrible action, horrible dialogue, a horrible plot, and again... HORRIBLE ACTION. James Lew deserves better.
1 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this