IMDb > American Ninja 5 (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

American Ninja 5 More at IMDbPro »

Good movie if you are under 10 years old

Author: Gideon40 from Singapore
16 June 2001

I havn't seen the other four films, but judging from the nature of this one, I assume the other four were something like it. The worst part of this horrible film are the ninja thugs that the hero beats up like it is an everyday hobby. In the first place, the "ninja" thugs do NOT behave like real ninjas. Come to think of it, neither does the hero. Ninjas are supposed to be ASSASSINS who work in the night and kill with STEALTH and SILENCE. The thugs here dress up in the most cheesy and plain costumes and come out screaming loud and waving their swords and nunchakus like they think they know how to use them, only to be clobbered by the hero within a second or two. This film is good if you are under 10 years old and like movies where none of the good guys die and all of the bad guys die. True Lies may have been like that too but it does it with STYLE. Another dumb aspect of American "Ninja" 5 is most of the lines are retarded. Example: After the boy Hiro manages to clobber a couple of ninja thugs(as if a twelve year old could beat up a "ninja"), and rides on top of a wheeled table which the hero uses as a battering ram through the thugs, one of them reports to his boss:"the boy was this big, but he had the strength of ten men" as if he was describing an encounter with a deadly alien. So in conclusion, for mindless hokey fun, this is a good movie. For good quality action flick, this is pure dumbness at its best.

Best Family Movie Ever Made

Author: Reggie Cloutier from Canada
9 February 2009

Remember how awesome the 90's were? This movie encapsulates the 90's completely in an all out ninja assault. What can I say about this cinematic masterpiece? The way David Bradley swiftly knock out any ninja without even being hit once shows that he is truly a master of martial arts to be rivaled by none. And the bond forged between his character Joe Kastle and his tiny sidekick companion Hiro is breathtaking and emotional. Each character uses their own abilities separately at the start of the movie to help each other out but then bond as one ninja super force when Joe teaches Hiro the way of the ninja in under a day. Forget Joe Armstrong and Sean Davidson! They have nothing to do with this movie because David Bradley uses his amazing skills as a thespian to switch between roles in a series where hes already played as a prominent character. Joe Kastle is the best thing to happen to this series, if you don't own this movie you'll get cancer and die in your own feces.

Oh no!

Author: sveknu
24 June 2006

I can live with David Bradley being a bad actor and all, but when just everything else is just as terrible as his acting, it starts to get real ugly. American Ninja V is a great example of how some people just don't know when to stop. After the third movie, this series has been nothing more than a piece of crap. This last movie is the worst of them all. The action scenes (fight scenes, mainly) are very bad. The story is childish, stupid and totally uninteresting. I almost fell asleep several times during the movie, and even the action didn't make it any better. What is Pat Morita doing in this disaster? I guess his quality control was out of function the day he signed up for this one.

Horrible, horrible and more horrible.

Author: marcusoja (marcusoja@hotmail.com) from Stockholm
9 March 2003

This is probably one of the worst movies I have ever seen. The plot isn't more ridiculous than many other b-action movies, what makes this movie worse than all others are the pitiful acting from actors whom never should have been allowed to enter a set. These actors actually make soap opera actors seem like academy award winners. As if this wasn't enough you have to see the worst "karate" scens ever shot. The only thing they ever hit is air. All this is captured on what seems to be a hand camera.

Whatever you do DON'T watch this movie... try doing something more fun and less painfull during these 1.5 hours, like ripping of your pubic hair with a pair of tweezers.

(1 / 10)

The Karate Kid formula again...

Author: Prolox from Canada
31 August 2005

American Ninja 5, despite having David Bradley come back, is not, I repeat, not a real American Ninja sequel, why? for starters Bradley does not return as the character of Sean, but as a new martial arts character called JOE & this baby is rated PG (At least in my country) so all the R rated ninja action from the previous four films is absent in this one, which enables the film makers to bring us softer fight scenes which makes it suitable for kids as long as they have an adult with them & that's just the problem with this sequel, it's nowhere near as fun as the first four in the series, & relies to much on humor & the old KARATE KID formula to bring it through, this time the American Ninja of the title trains a young boy that he's baby sitting, in the ways of the ninja, in order to fight more evil ninja's & more foreign bad guys to save Joe's abducted girlfriend. To be fair, the film does have some good points, some scenes are funny & the lead Super Ninja who works with the bad guys, puts up more of a fight at the climax than the previous Super Ninja's before him & the actors performed well, but like I said this is not a real sequel to the series, just another in name only installment that pops up in many films series, heck it's not even made by the same people who did the first four films & despite popping up on the front of the box art & receiving one of the top credits, THE KARATE KID'S PAT MORITA has only a two minute cameo as the ghost of Joe's mentor. An okay watch, but that's all it is, it's not really for fans of the series either, yet it will shelved along side the other films in the series & is packaged like an adult action film, so I highly doubt parents will let their kids watch this anyhow & if they ever did want to see this, (which I highly doubt) the over length of the film & the plot will probably bore them & the kid Bradley is forced to take care of is annoying at best, like I said before in my review, this film has no connections to the first four so you can watch this one first & not worry about being confused. Oddly this one has never been spoken of by film critics & prior to seeing this, I read pretty much every film review book there is on the shelf looking for a review of this film, yet oddly despite them reviewing the first four films, none of them made any reference nor mentioned that this one followed after Part 4, it just simply does not exist to the film critics who write those books, why? I haven't a clue. Hopefully this will remain the last in the series, as you can tell if you watch the film, that it's clear that the series has run out of gas.

**1/2 stars

why all the hate?

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
9 April 2010

so this movie isn't actually a part of the American Ninja series.so the people behind this movie are guilty of capitalizing on the name of and popularity of the American Ninja brand.so what.they're not the first.if you can look beyond that,there's actually a pretty good little movie here.it's rated PG, so it's fairly family friendly.i thought the fight scenes were actually pretty good.the acting was also decent enough.the story is a familiar one.there a bit of the Karate Kid thrown in the mix,and i think based based on what i've read,there may be elements of The 3 Ninjas movies in there as well,but don't quote me on that last one.if you can view this as a stand alone movie, you might like it.i did.and i really liked it,and i don't have any problem admitting it.for me,American Ninja V is an 8/10

There is no bad movies only wrong audience

Author: kurciasbezdalas from Lithuania
2 August 2008

OK i agree that this movie is the worst of the series. It looses almost all American Ninja traditions and has a really cheep plot. It have turned from the action movie in to a family comedy and that is probably the worst thing about it. But i must admit it still was quite enjoyable to watch. It was funny and there still was a lot of ninja action and one or few chasing scenes. The actors did a great job. All the fans of the first four American ninja parts may be disappointed this time. It's a very different film. I think it was made more for a younger audience. So maybe American Ninja fans would't like this one but it should be enjoyable for a different audience.

OK, but not very nice!

Author: weiland_49 from Sweden
6 April 2007

Take it for what it is... The movie has got bad writing and semi bad acting.. However if you manage to overlook these faults it might be OK. If you take it for what it is it might be an entertaining action flick.... I think the lead actor is pretty decent, but overlooking his work judged by IMDb, one can't be impressed. If you see it for what it is, it is a mindless no thinking action movie. It is the perfect movie for a hangover. A plus for the movie is seeing the legendary Pat Morita, even though only for a small part, but it is nice to see the old martial arts expert on film again.. the setting of the movie is really nice, it takes place in the Caribbean or something. It is always nice to see views like those.

Made for TV

Author: lucasj007-478-446262
21 July 2013

This movie has a PG-13 rating in America. Why? I don't know...

It should have been just PG for it's time and not the rating is TV-14. You can show this movie on any of the local stations without editing.

Of course it would be late night. I had no problems letting my kids watch this show. In fact it has less violence than today's cop shows and less adult situations than some stupid comedy on evening TV.

In fact I think the movie is up there with the Ninja Turtles. However, Ninja Turtles had better acting.

Yes you can watch this if there is nothing else on TV. However, I would rather take a nap.

Nice if you like David Bradley, but the worst of the 5

Author: Ninja-Bandit from Latvia
4 January 2009

First time watching it I was greatly disappointed as I was expecting something like AN 3. Its the worst of the 5 mainly because of the kid. That kid with little ninja experience could beat other adult ninjas with ease, come on! Perhaps it was made for 10-11 year old kids. Didn't like the cheap jokes either. This is a low budged B-movie, but I think it didn't require much to be become a good movie, like the first 4. The quality of acting and sites are good, action wise not bad, but its those childish jokes that makes it the worst. If they made it more serious without those dumb jokes and more realistic more heroic, those 10-11 year old kids would like it even more. There is much less violence in this movie than in first four, which is fine. Still better than nothing, enjoyed Bradley acting and another ninja movie. Actually I would take more like these if it were possible.