IMDb > "The X-Files" (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The X Files"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"The X-Files" More at IMDbPro »"The X Files" (original title)

Page 10 of 35: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Go to sleep you'll get scared - my parents when I was 7

Author: sean-cowan1 from Canada
16 August 2014

And they were right, when it first came out I would insist to stay up 'late' and watch it with them and most episodes would scare me. But by the time I was 10 that stopped happening and I started to enjoy one of the best sci-fi shows ever made. My parents have always liked sci-fi quite a bit so I was exposed to the x-files, alien, the terminator, 2001 a space odyssey, all the classic shows and movies by a young age.

At 26 now I have recently re-watched the show and some parts are still creepy and the show definitely holds up all these years later.

What makes the show so good, its hard to say, but I think its the way Mulder and Scully are always portrayed in a realistic believable way. Mulder always like that 'one consspiracy nut' we probably all know, and Scully acts like the super logical 'know-it-all rationalist' that we probably also all know.

Even the 8th and 9th seasons where David Duchovny takes a limited role are still enjoyable, though not as much as the first 7.

Throughout all of them however there is a good balance of 'monster of the week' style episodes where a one of x-file is dealt with, keeping the main story episodes spaced out far enough to always keep you on your toes and guessing, and most importantly, anxious to watch the next episode and see what happens.

They don't make TV like this any more. If you haven't seen it yet stop reading and go, start and S1E1 and enjoy you won't be disappointed.

Do You Believe?

Author: AaronCapenBanner from North America
13 December 2013

Chris Carter created this long-running series that starred David Duchovny & Gillian Anderson as FBI agents Fox Mulder(the believer) & Dana Scully(the skeptic), who spent nine seasons investigating the paranormal and government conspiracies(ghosts, UFO's, monsters, mutants, etc.) usually covered up by the Smoking Man(played by William B. Davis). Mitch Pileggi played their boss A.D. Skinner, who had to walk a fine line between helping them, but protecting himself against the other. Most episodes were exciting and well-made, with only a few real duds over the years, but far more classics, and epitomizes the 1990's feeling of false security. Trend-setting and influential show that is still popular today.

Incredible

Author: Daniel Hubble-Sitcom Barker from Nottingham, England
3 August 2013

The X-Files is absolutely incredible it is the best television show I have ever seen. Agent Fox Mulder is the glue that held this show together and is really every ones hero, he is the person every man wants to be. Agent Dana Scully who is is so strong, loyal and interdependent but at the same time so beautiful and kind, is every mans dream woman, I think it goes without saying Agent Dana Scully is the desirable woman who ever lived. I would really like a third movie or even a tenth season but I guess its all down to Twentieth Century Fox, I understand that Fox doesn't think that it will get enough views because it hasn't been on television for so long and the last movie wasn't a hit, but I think it will, just think of the publicity it would get if 'The X-Files 3' or 'The X-Files- Season 10' got out! Either way this show was and, in my eyes, always will be the greatest television show ever.

One of the best TV shows of all time

Author: kittybuttons from United Kingdom
23 July 2013

My main memories of The X Files as a child are of the opening theme tune, which my brother was terrified of and "the black man" episode, as we called it as kids. Fans of the series may know which I am referring to, 'Teliko' from season 4. As kids (I was born in '85, my brother in '87), this episode was the scariest thing we'd ever seen and I was apprehensive to watch it when I bought the full series on DVD as an adult a few years ago. Turns out it really isn't one of the scariest at all!

The X Files is in my top three favourite TV shows of all time, moving up and down from first to third place depending on which I'm watching at the moment. Whilst it is 20 years since first airing, I find that it doesn't age, although the 'cell phones' used by Mulder and Scully became progressively smaller! The show provides intrigue, horror, intellect and subtle romance in abundance. There are also some highly amusing and some downright sad episodes thrown in.

Much like one of my other top three (Supernatural, which pays homage to The X Files throughout), there are 'Monster of the Week' episodes interspersed with the ultimate story arc, the existence of extraterrestrials and a worldwide government conspiracy of colonisation. Both prove compelling, with the story arc evolving slowly at first and the stand-alone episodes providing some light relief in later seasons.

As with any programme that runs for 9 seasons, there are some dud moments but these are massively out-weighed by the spectacular writing, direction and acting of the cast. Of course, a special mention goes to David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson as Mulder and Scully. However, there are other characters to love (Skinner) and love to hate (Krycek, CGB Spender).

If you missed this first time around due to age or simply that it didn't look your thing, I would highly recommend it now that the hype is gone. It really is a thoroughly enjoyable show. And for those of you who lived through and loved it, go out and buy the DVD's and relive it again. If your love of The X Files was present back in the day, you won't be disappointed with the re-runs!

Its worth more Stars then Ten really.

Author: silverkelt from Maine, USA
28 January 2013

Why am I adding this so long after the show ended? First off, I was very unhappy with the decision to bring this show back for its last season, it wasn't worth it, Fox has always made terrible decisions with their shows, to me Xfiles stopped in its 8th season and picked it back up in the movie, which wasn't much more then a elongated episodes really.

But I shouldn't magnify that error with saying for the time-frame it was on, it was the best scifi show ever conceived, with so much internal and externals tensions so accurately played on a screen before. It was intelligent ponderence, with minutia that paid off on a weekly basis.

Silverkelt

There is nothing like this, but it is not untouchable

Author: jedo_team from Netherlands
27 December 2012

I think many of us adults now hold X-files as a sort of a holy relic. It is one of those events from our childhood that kept our eyes fixated at the TV in awe, keeping us past our bed time. Gillian Anderson invoked sexual fantasy in young and old, while Mulder was the smart adventurer with a gun and a suit, guiding us through the creepy mysteries.

However, looking at the whole show from a closer perspective now brings in light the imperfections, like the closer inspection of childhood heroes often does.

One of the first noticeable things is the difference in acting quality between the two main protagonists Mulder (David Duchovny) and Scully (Gillian Anderson). Maybe it doesn't help that the dialogue given to the sexy skeptic agent Scully is so dry, especially in the beginning of the 1st season, but her acting feels one level below Duchovny's. There are only so much skeptical eye rolling and tired speech a human can take. Ms. Anderson does get better as the series progress.

Believability of the characters also becomes shaky after just a few episodes. The main relationship between agent Scully and agent Mulder, which is that between a skeptic and a believer, is one of the defining features of the show, but in the first few episodes Scully already manages with her own eyes to witness several UFOs, confirm that the government is brainwashing people and see a ton of monsters and yet, several chapters into the series, she is still keeping up the disbeliever act. Many shows with two main characters suffer from this problem, not being able to build a believable character arch throughout the show in fear of changing the working formula.

The story line is the next issue. Part of the curse of the X-Files is that the makers were trying to incorporate in their show all the main folklore tales known to man and do so with a straight face and believability. It can be done if you put some brain into it, but unfortunately logical bloopers in X-Files are common and the quality of storytelling varies from episode to episode, since different episodes are written by different people. There is corner cutting, like when the military uses the same terrible uniformed folks for military police as the the police uses at another place in another episode; there are occasional illogical plot points like a disappearing tattoo to indicate that a person's soul left the body. The plot is one thing that should not depend upon the size of your budget and therefore X-Files cannot be excused from this flaw.

Thankfully these issues are insignificant and the quality of the show gets better as seasons go by. Acting and story glitches apart, the show is quite awesome and ages well. It manages to keep your attention using just the right amount of action, special effects and spooky sound effects to keep things interesting but not so much as to become boring or...bankrupt. There is a wide range between the stories presented. X-files goes from political thriller to mystery to horror and manages to keep that variety up for quite some time.

Best show of the 90s

Author: brainoil oilbrain from United States
28 October 2012

After 2000, we've had some great TV shows, like The Wire, Sopranos and Breaking Bad. Maybe we have to credit Sopranos for that, which created this new tier of TV drama. In the nineties we didn't have shows like that. But if there was a TV show of which each episode looked like a movie, it was The X-Files.

I don't know any other show that had more memorable episodes than The X- Files. I mean, I would say Breaking Bad (created by an X-Files writer) is a better show than The X-Files. But I don't think it has as many memorable episodes as The X-Files had. Each episode of The X-Files was a short movie, and some of those were very good. I never get tired of watching the pilot episode. There are other favorites as well, such as "The Field Where I died", "Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man", "Home" etc.

What I liked the most about the show were the characters Fox Mulder and Dana Scully. David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson played them so well. The chemistry between them was just fantastic. In fact, I think theirs are the best love story there's ever been on television.

The writing was great too. What other show has had William Gibson and Stephen King writing episodes for it? Every episode gives you something to think about, even if the stuff that they give you to think maybe totally crazy.

The reason I gave The X-Files 9, not 10 is because the show wasn't consistent. When The X-files was at its strongest, there was nothing better than it. It could even compete with Breaking Bad or Sopranos. But towards the end of the series, it deteriorated, especially after Duchovny's departure from the show. Even before that, some episodes weren't as good as the others. The X-Files really was a series of movies. Some of them weren't as good as the others.

Still, it was the best show of the 90s

Best show of the 90's?

Author: Master Cultist (smellthecult.com@hotmail.co.uk) from United Kingdom
1 January 2010

Possibly THE show of the 90's, this was one of those odd moments in TV history whereby a genre specific, cult show hits the mainstream big time. Of course, once the sheep are told by their chosen newspapers that they should be watching it, they follow faithfully and, in this case, it can only have been damaging.

The first three series are stunning: Original, thought provoking and frightening, but once it was realised that it was popular, the experimentation and self congratulation began.

Tense, dramatic and intelligent, with some of the best atmospheric music outside of an Italian Giallo movie, this started out just great. There's still some merit in series 4 through 7, but the hits are less frequent than before.

I guess the good times can never last for long.....

Seasons 8 & 9 - Finally got round to watching Season 8 and, wow, I was blown away. Defying all expectations, the series really returns to form as new FBI Agent John Doggett, played superbly well by Robert Patrick, joins the fray. He's the skeptic and, in a reversal of her original role, Scully is the open-minded believer. Frank Spotnitz and Chris Carter appear to handle most writing duties, which explains the lift in quality as, crucially, the intensity of the first three seasons is back, as electrifying as ever.

A great revival.

Cool Series!

Author: Sheriff_Of_Nottingham from United States/UK
22 September 2009

One late night while I was channel surfing, I came across this very atmospheric and unique series. Throughout the 1990s and early 2000s, I had seen the "X Files" advertised, but for whatever reason had never gotten around to watching it. The series centers around two FBI agents, Fox Mulder and Dana Scully, who investigate strange happenings across the U.S. The themes range from realistic topics such as government conspiracies and serial killers to more off the beat and path areas such as voodoo, zombies, and the supernatural. The episodes move along at a fairly rapid pace due to all the twists in the plot.

If you are a fan of intelligent drama, mystery, and suspense, then the X Files is for you.

Best Show of The Millennium

Author: OldClassics
26 October 2008

If You have lived in the 90'S then you surely must have know what X-files is , even those people who dint watch the show knew what it was about...it was such a popular show , a CULT phenomenon which redefined the way we watch Television ...it Took TV viewing to whole new level and No other show has able to reach that level Bar which X-files created !! This show had everything from Good writing,good script,Best acting and The Loyal Fan base around the world, for me SCULLY and mulder's Chemistry was the best and they are definitely the best TV on screen couple EVER !! there is never a DULL moment in the show, this show not only shows just Aliens and all sorts of Monsters but also gives Proper Scientific explanations to such Phenomenon Which makes it truly great so many great shows have been inspired by the X-files all Crime drama or Conspiracy sitcoms like ALIAS, CSI , SUPERNATURAL, FRINGE, LOST etc all these shows have been inspired from the X-files X-FILES has won numerous Awards from GOLDEN GLOBES , EMMY Awards to PEABODY awards....X-FILES was also featured in " TIMES 100 Greatest shows of all time " and came 2nd in the " TV Guide's 50 Greatest Cult shows of all time " just behind Star Trek This is one Classic which everyone Must watch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!